Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

nine-gear crow posted:

Dude was on the Titan for a year, he saw Riker swinging over every chair he could in person probably like once a week, maybe even a day.

Boims was on The Titan for a 3-4 months at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I really do not understand why he was demoted when returning to the Cerritos.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Galactic pip shortage

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The promotion went with the job.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
William Boimler kept the promotion, Brad had to earn his

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Thaddius the Large posted:

William Boimler kept the promotion, Brad had to earn his

But he already did! He was the original!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Promotions being slot dependant is very much a thing in real world militaries. Losing a rank because you were no longer in a job that required it wasn't a mark against you, necessarily, and in fact it'd be a point of consideration when another promotion became available later that you'd already done that job.

I don't think it's a thing in the modern professional US military, but the point remains is that there's a lot of precedent for it.

Titan needed an LtJG, Cerritos, at the time, did not, and Titan didn't need two JGs with the exact same qualifications.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

A.o.D. posted:

Promotions being slot dependant is very much a thing in real world militaries.

but Starfleet isn't a military!! :techno:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

corona familiar posted:

but Starfleet isn't a military!! :techno:

Fine.

Uniformed Services.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
"I suppose, by the transitive property, I, too, must be Vulcan as a motherfucker."

I really love Lower Decks a lot

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

If you wish to have sympathy for the lad, you could imagine that Boimler retained an offical rank on the books of LTJG but his shipboard acting rank was that of Ensign as that was the only posting available.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Pwnstar posted:

If you wish to have sympathy for the lad, you could imagine that Boimler retained an offical rank on the books of LTJG but his shipboard acting rank was that of Ensign as that was the only posting available.

Nah, he is just priority in line for the next command track LTJG promotion when such event happens again, and he doesn't chicken out from the proposed assignment. If he does, then its back to the pool of ensigns.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Atlas Hugged posted:

My only beef with this is that Q is genuinely distraught in Picard S2 because dying is just not something he had ever contemplated. Jack clearly confronts him about this is S3 and Q just laughs it off as a puny mortal human's understanding of time and causality. Given that this Q even looks like the Q that died, I have to assume this is post-death Q and not Q from before he died simply existing at a different point in time.

I guess what I'm trying to not-so-gracefully explain is that I feel this was more the show completely undoing the death rather than opening the possibility that Q had an infinite number of adventures before his actual death in S2. As in, this Q has experienced death and that was a necessary part of his personal journey, though of course we're not at all shown what that means or how it has affected Q. If it were pre-death Q, I would expect the exchange to include something along the lines of "Me? Die? Don't be absurd."

Which just brings us back to if they were going to bring him back anyway, why bother to make such a big deal out of his death? It's technically the motivating issue for the whole season. Q needs to teach Picard one last lesson before he can no longer guide humanity. Just kidding: we're going to ham it up for decades to come.

Before he died he was afraid because he didn't understand what dying would mean to him. After he died he's back to being a smug jerk because now he's not afraid anymore.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 18, 2023

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Finally got around to watching the last season of Better Call Saul. Made me LOL that with Picard they tried to make prestige TV Star trek while understanding neither star trek nor prestige tv. Dramatic lighting is not enough.

Lots of prestige TV is like a classical tragedy. Things are dark and then the character destroys themselves through their own choices due to greed and hubris. Walks straight into hell despite multiple chances at a better path.

Picard: Things are dark and nonsensical. And then you get a happy ending.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Does it have a happy ending? I didn't actually watch it out of a random temporary aversion to garbage, but from what I gather the Borg are all idiotically ineffectively cartoon evil again and most people in Starfleet are killed because of some weird Borg cum thing. Picard 3 is still left alive and half the Picard characters only survive if you accept the tweets of a madman as worth any consideration whatsoever.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Khanstant posted:

Does it have a happy ending? I didn't actually watch it out of a random temporary aversion to garbage, but from what I gather the Borg are all idiotically ineffectively cartoon evil again and most people in Starfleet are killed because of some weird Borg cum thing. Picard 3 is still left alive and half the Picard characters only survive if you accept the tweets of a madman as worth any consideration whatsoever.

Season 1: the space AI beacon is disabled and humans learn to live in harmony with androids and everything is great.
Season 2: Picard makes peace with the borg who join the Federation and everything is great.
Season 3: The old gang defeats the evil borg/changling alliance and everything is great. No that character didn't actually die. No, not that one either. Everything is great.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Apparently production on the next season of LD is underway

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Everyone is just offscreen, at a space bar, all hanging out and having a great time.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

8one6 posted:

Everyone is just offscreen, at a space bar, all hanging out and having a great time.

Romulan incest guy beamed them all to safety at the last second just off screen.

Except for Icheb.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Maxwell Lord posted:

Great news, it can't arrive fast enough

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Maxwell Lord posted:

bless

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious

Tars Tarkas posted:

Romulan incest guy beamed them all to safety at the last second just off screen.

Except for Icheb.

And Hugh.

Also Romulan incest guy's sister is for sure dead I think?

Maxwell Lord posted:

A shining koala shaped light in the dark.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Gollom posted:

And Hugh.

Also Romulan incest guy's sister is for sure dead I think?

Didn't she get kicked in to a hole? I don't think anyone has ever died in a hole.

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious

Boxturret posted:

Didn't she get kicked in to a hole? I don't think anyone has ever died in a hole.

She's on the Black Mountain as we speak.

Oh I forgot Vajizzle? Bejazzel? Vjizle. Bjayzl, apparently? She is definitely dead because the captain of the Enterprise-G sneak-transported and vaporized her. For reasons.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

5/8

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 19, 2023

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

Before he died he was afraid because he didn't understand what dying would mean to him. After he died he's back to being a smug jerk because now he's not afraid anymore.
I do kind of like the idea that there is no timeframe hopping here, Q did die, and then just got better because he's a Q.

Is this one of the Bluebrixx sets? How's the quality? I've been tempted to buy one to check it out but no one sells them in the US so they're hard to find.

https://www.bluebrixx.com/de/sets/star_trek

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Knormal posted:

I do kind of like the idea that there is no timeframe hopping here, Q did die, and then just got better because he's a Q.

Is this one of the Bluebrixx sets? How's the quality? I've been tempted to buy one to check it out but no one sells them in the US so they're hard to find.

https://www.bluebrixx.com/de/sets/star_trek

It is. The build is not done yet.

I heard some stories before hand about mediocre customer service but ordering and shipping all went smoothly. The quality is not bad. Only some very minor complaints: Sometimes I have to make sure I push bricks on well or they might come loose, but generally as I add more and more to the build it gets more stable anyway. To allow the circular pieces to fit together well, they have a kind of joint where you push a little ball-on-a-stick into a sort of rounded "claw" like thing so you get a connection that bends. It works well but if you look closely, after popping that in there seems to be a very slight deformation in the plastic.

I actually don't happen to have any real Lego around, but as far as I can tell the bricks and studs are the exact same size and should be compatible.

Honestly I'm just glad that I finally found a company that actually has licensed Star Trek models, because I guess Lego is too busy with their Star Wars brand license stuff.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 19, 2023

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Regarding the Q stuff, I refuse to jump through any hoops trying to figure out if he's time traveling or post-death because it's obvious that whoever killed him off and whoever brought him back were two people who never met and both had an idea for what they wanted to do with him. The only answer to any question about Q's current existence in the canon is "bad showrunners." Except in Lower Decks where he's still pre-Picard and can keep being goofy rear end Q.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

DaveKap posted:

Regarding the Q stuff, I refuse to jump through any hoops trying to figure out if he's time traveling or post-death because it's obvious that whoever killed him off and whoever brought him back were two people who never met and both had an idea for what they wanted to do with him. The only answer to any question about Q's current existence in the canon is "bad showrunners." Except in Lower Decks where he's still pre-Picard and can keep being goofy rear end Q.

This. When the show makes it clear that "canon" is irrelevant because they'll keep loving around with the actual content of the plot and the fate of the characters on loving Twitter of all places, then I don't have to take any justifications seriously.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Carbon dioxide posted:

It is. The build is not done yet.

I heard some stories before hand about mediocre customer service but ordering and shipping all went smoothly. The quality is not bad. Only some very minor complaints: Sometimes I have to make sure I push bricks on well or they might come loose, but generally as I add more and more to the build it gets more stable anyway. To allow the circular pieces to fit together well, they have a kind of joint where you push a little ball-on-a-stick into a sort of rounded "claw" like thing so you get a connection that bends. It works well but if you look closely, after popping that in there seems to be a very slight deformation in the plastic.

I actually don't happen to have any real Lego around, but as far as I can tell the bricks and studs are the exact same size and should be compatible.

Honestly I'm just glad that I finally found a company that actually has licensed Star Trek models, because I guess Lego is too busy with their Star Wars brand license stuff.
Did you order them from the Bluebrixx site to the US?

I'm kind of hesitant because I got burnt by the Megablox giant original Enterprise that was a couple hundred bucks like it was a prestige Lego set, and then Megablox tolerances were nowhere near good enough to deal with something that scale. All the saucer plates wouldn't lock down because the support struts were too warped by the set's weight, and then the nacelle struts were a cheat and one giant pre-molded piece. I accept that it may need to be pre-molded to support the weight, but they could have integrated it into the build a lot better than they did and put some studs on it.

But on a much smaller scale like the Bluebrixx stuff looks to be a not-quite-Lego quality would probably work fine.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I live in the Netherlands so it was simple overland cross-border shipping for me.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Carbon dioxide posted:

I live in the Netherlands so it was simple overland cross-border shipping for me.
Dang, that's what I was afraid of.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://torrentfreak.com/star-trek-fan-blog-triggers-new-entry-in-automatics-dmca-hall-of-shame-231120/ rofl

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The fact that tumblr actually has a team moderating dmca strikes might be the one positive thing I've heard about them in a long while.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Man I am so far behind on the latest Trek stuff.

What's the general consensus on SNW Season 2? Should I make the effort to catch up on that?

I guess it's widely considered I should probably make the time to binge Lower Decks right? I think I tapped out at the end of the second season.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

AndyElusive posted:

What's the general consensus on SNW Season 2? Should I make the effort to catch up on that?

I guess it's widely considered I should probably make the time to binge Lower Decks right? I think I tapped out at the end of the second season.

It's very good.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
The latest seasons of SNW and LD were both great and well worth watching.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AndyElusive posted:

Season 2 of SNW was very good. All of Lower Decks is really good, you should probably make the effort to catch up on that. Prodigy is also really good, don't let the fact that it's a kids show or that it starts off very un-Star Trek-like put you off, stick with it it, the first season is going up on Netflix on Christmas day with Season 2 to follow in early 2024.

Instead of watching any of Discovery or Picard that you've missed, consider hitting yourself in the genitals with a ballpeen hammer a few times then eat an entire jar of Doritos cool ranch dip. No chips. Just the dip.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Still laughing at the Disco episode with Tilly babysitting the cadets.

"This kid is an Orion, his people turned mine into slaves!"

:smug: "Actually... My dad was Abraham Lincorion."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
If you pretend Discovery and Picard don’t exist, this new era of Star Trek has generally been pretty great.