Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I just happened to put my antique barbed wire and claymore mine collection all around my property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I don't know why, but in my head I imagined this was Colorado and did a little googling and there are a lot of people arrested for setting up booby traps that injure other people in colorado.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't know why, but in my head I imagined this was Colorado and did a little googling and there are a lot of people arrested for setting up booby traps that injure other people in colorado.

The spirit of the killdozer is strong in that state.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
The basic law is you can’t do things that will most likely hurt people and you know it.

The basic corollary is you can do things that aren’t inherently harmful, but might hurt people if they intentionally do things that will result in them getting hurt, but if you know that might happen you should post a clear warning.

YMMV

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I was just wondering if the act itself was illegal. Like if I had a loaded gun on my nightstand. That might be legal in my state, but if my toddler grabbed it and shot grandma, then I'd expect there would be some criminal negligence coming my way.

Is there a legal difference between a tripwire bola trap in a cornfield that is clearly marked no trespassing with signs and fences impeding access and a big hole in a construction zone with CAUTION tape wrapped around it? I guess intent might come into play.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Yes lots of factors. Putting a gun on your table could be ok. Rigging a gun to shoot a person who walks in your door is not.

Also “illegal” can mean many things. Does it violate a criminal statute? Will is result in civil liability?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Skunkduster posted:

I was just wondering if the act itself was illegal. Like if I had a loaded gun on my nightstand. That might be legal in my state, but if my toddler grabbed it and shot grandma, then I'd expect there would be some criminal negligence coming my way.

Is there a legal difference between a tripwire bola trap in a cornfield that is clearly marked no trespassing with signs and fences impeding access and a big hole in a construction zone with CAUTION tape wrapped around it? I guess intent might come into play.

There are reasons that people can lawfully trespass on your land, no matter how much it may irk you as an individual. Booby traps are not allowed.

For example, you don't have a right to stop a first responder from coming onto your property for various reasons. Say a hurricane is coming, public safety officials might be going door to door to warn people to evacuate. You're not allowed to rig something up that would harm them, even if you have no trespassing signs.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Here's a fun one from this spring: https://www.vice.com/en/article/3akz7k/colorado-qanon-booby-trapped-house

Bonus: the trap setters are Q anon sovereign citizen wackos

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

There are reasons that people can lawfully trespass on your land, no matter how much it may irk you as an individual. Booby traps are not allowed.

For example, you don't have a right to stop a first responder from coming onto your property for various reasons. Say a hurricane is coming, public safety officials might be going door to door to warn people to evacuate. You're not allowed to rig something up that would harm them, even if you have no trespassing signs.

Is there a definable line between "trap", "Normal construction", and "brick poo poo house"?

Does Phil's response apply here:

quote:

The basic corollary is you can do things that aren’t inherently harmful, but might hurt people if they intentionally do things that will result in them getting hurt, but if you know that might happen you should post a clear warning.

Like the folks who have their mailbox run over repeatedly by drunk/lovely drivers/bored teens with bats, so they sink it into a concrete post. It's not a trap, but it's sure gonna wreck your poo poo if you plow into it.
Or the large/heavy rocks as a fence?

Or a reinforced fence, not a trap, but definitely not going to get pushed over by the offroad vehicle folks. (hell, even normal/traditional pasture fences can decapitate a rider not paying attention/looking for them)

Could one put up the "Severe Tire Damage, do not enter" and then have the rental car lot retractable spike strips inside the property line?

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

toplitzin posted:

Like the folks who have their mailbox run over repeatedly by drunk/lovely drivers/bored teens with bats, so they sink it into a concrete post. It's not a trap, but it's sure gonna wreck your poo poo if you plow into it.

This was going to be my question. Could you be found responsible for someone's injury if, even accidentally, they ran into your "telephone pole sunk into 50 ft of concrete" mailbox post?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

toplitzin posted:

Is there a definable line between "trap", "Normal construction", and "brick poo poo house"?

Or a reinforced fence, not a trap, but definitely not going to get pushed over by the offroad vehicle folks. (hell, even normal/traditional pasture fences can decapitate a rider not paying attention/looking for them)

Could one put up the "Severe Tire Damage, do not enter" and then have the rental car lot retractable spike strips inside the property line?

Most of the things you described are just fine. They're not things set up to recklessly endanger someone who accidentally wanders onto your property. The spikes might be dicey and jurisdiction dependent.

The issue is when you line your property in land mines or bear traps or rig a knife to stab someone walking up stairs such as this found in a flophouse in philly - https://www.reddit.com/r/Damnthatsinteresting/comments/10u08pe/booby_trap_found_inside_house/. Building yourself a reinforced fence, so long as it complies with whatever state and local laws that might be applicable is not going to be an issue. Digging a hole filled with punji sticks is going to get you into trouble.

The nuances of where your local laws interact with general principles could be explained further by a local attorney.

null_pointer posted:

This was going to be my question. Could you be found responsible for someone's injury if, even accidentally, they ran into your "telephone pole sunk into 50 ft of concrete" mailbox post?

Ohio's supreme court recently expressly found a homeowner was not liable for someone being injured crashing into a reinforced mailbox. Premises liability, though, is a state specific question, and not all states will necessarily agree.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 15, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

null_pointer posted:

Snay v. Burr - Supreme Court of Ohio https://www.supremecourt.ohio.gov/rod/docs/pdf/0/2021/2021-Ohio-4113.pdf

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The question of, "Was this OK to build, or was this Not Ok" Will have some guidance on either side in the form of case law, kind of like bumpers and a bowling lane.

But when you start to try and press the notion of edge cases to see what hypotheticals get through, have to remember that first, your fact scenario will have to be picked up by a police officer who thinks it's bad enough to be referred to a DA who then decides it should be charged, criminally, in a criminal matter.

From a civil, premises liability standpoint, The person who is injured on your property will have to sue you, and then we'll have to try and convince the jury of 12 strangers that y'all have never met of the unreasonableness of your behavior.

And that's like everything in the law when it comes down to the gray areas between hard and fast rules: It's going to be a jury of 12 strangers who listen to all the facts and decide one way or the other.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

blarzgh posted:

The question of, "Was this OK to build, or was this Not Ok" Will have some guidance on either side in the form of case law, kind of like bumpers and a bowling lane.

But when you start to try and press the notion of edge cases to see what hypotheticals get through, have to remember that first, your fact scenario will have to be picked up by a police officer who thinks it's bad enough to be referred to a DA who then decides it should be charged, criminally, in a criminal matter.

From a civil, premises liability standpoint, The person who is injured on your property will have to sue you, and then we'll have to try and convince the jury of 12 strangers that y'all have never met of the unreasonableness of your behavior.

And that's like everything in the law when it comes down to the gray areas between hard and fast rules: It's going to be a jury of 12 strangers who listen to all the facts and decide one way or the other.

On the other hand (true story) one time when I was a kid I was sitting in the front room of our house and suddenly I heard this giant WHAM

A SUV had wrapped itself six inches deep around the . . . six feet of steel railroad rail . . .
that my father had sunk half it's length in concrete in front of the tree out front because he was sick of people hitting his fruit trees

If that railroad rail hadn't taken the hit I might nor be here posting today!

So, I mean, perhaps the world would be better off, but in some ways this might be one of those judged by twelve or carried by six situations

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A SUV had wrapped itself six inches deep around the . . . six feet of steel railroad rail . . .
that my father had sunk half it's length in concrete in front of the tree out front because he was sick of people hitting his fruit trees

I'm not a lawyer but I can't imagine bollards don't have an established legal status.

And I feel like with all these what ifs tye first and most minor hurdle is "does it have a use beyond being designed to hurt someone?" A mailbox no matter how strong is at least still a mailbox. A landmine is just a landmine. A chain across a driveway is a gate. A rope at neck height on a trail isn't a gate.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Atticus_1354 posted:

I'm not a lawyer but I can't imagine bollards don't have an established legal status.

And I feel like with all these what ifs tye first and most minor hurdle is "does it have a use beyond being designed to hurt someone?" A mailbox no matter how strong is at least still a mailbox. A landmine is just a landmine. A chain across a driveway is a gate. A rope at neck height on a trail isn't a gate.

Sure, but it's one thing for the government to put up a bollard; it's another thing to slap one down in the middle of the public sidewalk or road in front of your house (as my father did; he had removed a tree planted by the city and planted one he preferred instead. Never got in trouble for that either. It was a very nice tree once it matured).

The root issue here is that the problem to think about isn't "would I get convicted", it's "could I end up having to defend this in a courtroom, at great personal expense and difficulty".

That's why the case I linked above is worth reading. https://www.supremecourt.ohio.gov/rod/docs/pdf/0/2021/2021-Ohio-4113.pdf

Dude just built his mailbox so strong that a car hit it and flipped over and paralyzed the driver. Question wasn't "does mailbox builder go to jail" it was "can you sue mailbox driver for money" and it went up several levels of appeal.

So if you're thinking about building an exceedingly strong mailbox, think about whether you would rather experience rebuilding an additional mailbox, or experience several years of litigation

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 15, 2023

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Sure, but it's one thing for the government to put up a bollard; it's another thing to slap one down in the middle of the public sidewalk or road in front of your house (as my father did; he had removed a tree planted by the city and planted one he preferred instead. Never got in trouble for that either. It was a very nice tree once it matured).

I feel like the vast majority of bollards are put up on private property.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

toplitzin posted:

Usually in the civil context the court will weigh things like utility vs. risk and foreseeability of harm, severity of possible harm, and cost of preventing harm. So for your example, is there utility to a reinforced mailbox or bollards or a fence? Sure, it protects your property from damage. Is there risk of harm? Maybe, but it doesn’t hurt anyone unless they themselves are negligent and crash into it on your property. Under ordinary circumstances it doesn’t pose a risk to anyone. Cost of preventing harm is negligible, but do we really expect people to post warnings that if you crash into their mailbox it might damage your car? Is it a reasonable expectation if someone that they can crash into your property and escape without injury?

Also, when hazards are open and obvious and not an attractive nuisance (like a swimming pool or playground for instance), the law is less likely to impose liability if a person ventures onto the hazard and gets hurt.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Tire spike strips seem fine to me (I would vote not guilty/not liable if I were on that jury). They're trying to intentionally damage property, it would be hard to hurt someone unless they were driving recklessly fast at the same time.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That's why the case I linked above is worth reading. https://www.supremecourt.ohio.gov/rod/docs/pdf/0/2021/2021-Ohio-4113.pdf

Dude just built his mailbox so strong that a car hit it and flipped over and paralyzed the driver. Question wasn't "does mailbox builder go to jail" it was "can you sue mailbox driver for money" and it went up several levels of appeal.

So if you're thinking about building an exceedingly strong mailbox, think about whether you would rather experience rebuilding an additional mailbox, or experience several years of litigation

Is the specific Strong Mailbox question now settled enough by this case? (at least, in Ohio?)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Legal Questions: your mailbox is unlawfully strong

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Is the specific Strong Mailbox question now settled enough by this case? (at least, in Ohio?)

Seems so.

code:
But they ask this court to recognize an exception to that general rule and to hold that an adjacent landowner does owe a duty of care to a motorist who unintentionally strays from the regularly traveled portion of the road if the landowner has consciously created a hazard in the right-of-way with knowledge of the danger it would present to such a motorist. For the following reasons, we decline to do so.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Usually in the civil context the court will weigh things like utility vs. risk and foreseeability of harm, severity of possible harm, and cost of preventing harm. So for your example, is there utility to a reinforced mailbox or bollards or a fence? Sure, it protects your property from damage. Is there risk of harm? Maybe, but it doesn’t hurt anyone unless they themselves are negligent and crash into it on your property. Under ordinary circumstances it doesn’t pose a risk to anyone. Cost of preventing harm is negligible, but do we really expect people to post warnings that if you crash into their mailbox it might damage your car? Is it a reasonable expectation if someone that they can crash into your property and escape without injury?

Also, when hazards are open and obvious and not an attractive nuisance (like a swimming pool or playground for instance), the law is less likely to impose liability if a person ventures onto the hazard and gets hurt.

I'm wondering how many times people have driven into his yard and hit his fruit trees that he felt is was necessary to embed a section of railroad track to protect his trees. At that point, wouldn't you start looking at the design of the road and signage indicating a curve or whatever to see if possibly the entity in charge of the road is negligent?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

OMG, the poor guy's name is Cletus. I bet that was a lifetime of mockery.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Skunkduster posted:

I'm wondering how many times people have driven into his yard and hit his fruit trees that he felt is was necessary to embed a section of railroad track to protect his trees. At that point, wouldn't you start looking at the design of the road and signage indicating a curve or whatever to see if possibly the entity in charge of the road is negligent?

If he felt the need to put a fuckload of steel in the way, I don't think that the drivers were hitting it accidentally.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

On the other hand (true story) one time when I was a kid I was sitting in the front room of our house and suddenly I heard this giant WHAM

If that railroad rail hadn't taken the hit I might nor be here posting today!

So, I mean, perhaps the world would be better off, but in some ways this might be one of those judged by twelve or carried by six situations

Basic premise that armor is ok. Shooting at incoming traffic is not.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Tunicate posted:

I don't practice that area of law or in Ohio but I would probably answer "for that specific set of facts, fornow, in Ohio" but if I were advising clients I would advise them to follow the post office guidelines *strictly* and not overbuild. Because the next court to hear this might go a different way.

Skunkduster posted:

I'm wondering how many times people have driven into his yard and hit his fruit trees

Oh in dad's case this was a public sidewalk in front of the house and just a very very busy intersection in a downtown residential area. Should dad have taken out the city trees and replaced them? Should he then have armored those trees adjacent to the public right of way? Probably not!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 16, 2023

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Oh in dad's case this was a public sidewalk in front of the house and just a very very busy intersection in a downtown residential area. Should dad have taken out the city trees and replaced them? Should he then have armored those trees adjacent to the public right of way? Probably not!

In the Roadside Design Guide, which tells you which things / how far from roadway constitute hazards that require protection, trees and utility poles are listed as exceptions which do not require protecting on most roads.

Yes, they will hurt you if you hit them, but for public policy reasons we don't consider them obstructions from an engineering point of view.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
having dealt with the aftermath of the county happily installing a sign pole in the middle of a god drat driveway in the past,

Skunkduster posted:

At that point, wouldn't you start looking at the design of the road and signage indicating a curve or whatever to see if possibly the entity in charge of the road is negligent?

lol

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Skunkduster posted:

And in the mean time he's supposed to sit there with his thumb up his rear end?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

And in the mean time he's supposed to sit there with his thumb up his rear end?

If cars are crashing into it all the time it seems like a bad place to sit with your thumb up your rear end. That's best done in private anyway.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

sullat posted:

If cars are crashing into it all the time it seems like a bad place to sit with your thumb up your rear end. That's best done in private anyway.

Appreciate the advice, indeed it’s quite an improvement

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Appreciate the advice, indeed it’s quite an improvement

I'm sure you'd give it a thumbs-up if you could

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

joat mon posted:

I'm sure you'd give it a thumbs-up if you could

Just stand on your head.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I have a question about music licensing. I want to do an animation using a song from the Venture Brothers and sell it. Eventually.

Would I need to pay a license fee to the song's creator, JG Thirlwell, or to the property owner, Adult Swim / Cartoon Network? Or is it different on a case by case basis?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Waffle! posted:

I have a question about music licensing. I want to do an animation using a song from the Venture Brothers and sell it. Eventually.

Would I need to pay a license fee to the song's creator, JG Thirlwell, or to the property owner, Adult Swim / Cartoon Network? Or is it different on a case by case basis?

Probably the rights holder, whoever they actually happen to be. Contacting one of the above will probably point you in the direction of whoever that is.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The existing The Venture Bros.: The Music of J. G. Thirlwell is an ASCAP licensed album. You'd license through them.

https://www.ascap.com/music-users

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

whoops, sorry

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Mr. Nice! posted:

The existing The Venture Bros.: The Music of J. G. Thirlwell is an ASCAP licensed album. You'd license through them.

https://www.ascap.com/music-users

Hmm. ASCAP says they do bulk licensing, and to contact the publisher for single songs. It sounds like I might need two licenses - one for if I put it on YouTube, and another for selling physical copies? Like anyone buys DVDs anymore, lol. I could try the "free with a donation" move like at a convention, but I know that's a gray area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Waffle! posted:

Hmm. ASCAP says they do bulk licensing, and to contact the publisher for single songs. It sounds like I might need two licenses - one for if I put it on YouTube, and another for selling physical copies? Like anyone buys DVDs anymore, lol. I could try the "free with a donation" move like at a convention, but I know that's a gray area.

You need a bunch of different licenses to use music with video. You’ll need licenses from the composer, then from the musicians who actually made the sound recording, and you’ll need both reproduction and public performance licenses as well as what is usually called a sync license.

This is one of those things where hiring a lawyer is a really good idea - rights clearance is a complex specialty and having a lawyer involved will save you money long-term.