Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

I was thinking about all those bags of KFC that the delegation from China took to Moscow when Xi visited earlier this year to meet with Puta. I wonder if it's symbolically a reference to the mountains of frozen chicken thighs that the US sent to Russia after the collapse of the Soviet Union, or the Chicken Diplomacy from H W Bush. (https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/12/06/673806672/chicken-diplomacy-how-president-bush-went-for-the-gut-in-the-former-ussr)

Bringing cold fast food to another country as catering for a meeting between leaders of nations is not something that I can imagine anyone but Larry David doing naively.

Or Trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

mobby_6kl posted:

Joke's on them, aren't LG appliances garbage?

Although yeah we should press them a bit to at least sabotage them more.

Once Russia switches them out for Hisense well known things are close to boiling over. Absolutely miserable warranty service, the widows would be in a two wrongs situation and could revolt against the government over fishbloc spoilage.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Molothecat posted:

I want to believe

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Collapsing Farts posted:

If Ukraine ever starts winning the war and pushes Russia back to their border but Russia keeps fighting I can't imagine Ukraine would just stop then and there. Russia has to stop for this war to stop

Ukraine is not going to invade Russia but they will continue fighting and holding their borders as long as needed

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HonorableTB posted:

Ukraine is not going to invade Russia but they will continue fighting and holding their borders as long as needed

Ukraine should take some border cities in Russia so they have more points to use in designing the peace terms.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Nah they should just push Russia to their border, build a giant fuckoff DMZ wall and then let that be that.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Is there any more information on Ukraine continuing to probe in Crimera? Last bit of information about that indicates they are slowly but surely making a foothold there with armored vehicles.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

EorayMel posted:

Is there any more information on Ukraine continuing to probe in Crimera? Last bit of information about that indicates they are slowly but surely making a foothold there with armored vehicles.

not Crimea, but the left bank in the vicinity of Kherson, at Oleshky, Kozachi Laheri, and a few other villages. I haven't heard anything newer than them shipping at least one BTR across the river to support the effort, though, and I'm not sure they have reserves in the area (currently) to support a breakthrough. All that said Russia seems totally unable to displace them so the foothold keeps gradually expanding.
If it keeps up of course maybe Ukraine will transfer some reserves to exploit the situation. :shrug:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

EorayMel posted:

Sadly their optempo is a six hour minimum.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Ukraine should take some border cities in Russia so they have more points to use in designing the peace terms.

this ends the western support immediately

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
What the hell would they want with some russian cities anyway? "Give us peace or we will give them back?"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The idea that Russia can't be invaded is insane. They started the war, that's how this poo poo works. Imagine if we stopped on the German border because :decorum:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Russia has already been invaded during the war, if you remember the cross border raids in the Belgorod region.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Russia has already been invaded during the war, if you remember the cross border raids in the Belgorod region.

That was by Russians in the SRB. The actual uniformed Ukrainian army marching on the belgorod suburbs would cause a complete poo poo show and breakdown of western support and would also give putin the key to making the Russian population invested in this war

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

mobby_6kl posted:

The idea that Russia can't be invaded is insane. They started the war, that's how this poo poo works. Imagine if we stopped on the German border because :decorum:

this isn't a world war so applying world war RoE is awkward at best

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Coolguye posted:

Yeah, this is smaller country being bullied by an rear end in a top hat and not given enough hardware to get rid of the invaders, nor given the permission to damage anything the bully owns, only their own stuff which they have to fix out of their own pocket later.

Being limited to attacks against the enemy supply lines only on the land you have lost already is insane limitation against the Ukrainians.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Coolguye posted:

Not with that attitude!

This is how all wars work. You start poo poo and don't get to cry foul when the fighting spreads to your territory.

As long as we force the war to stay o Ukrainian territory, there's there absolutely no leverage over Russia. 99% of the land could be liberated but they'd have no incentive to stop or negotiate anything. Hell, we could be at pre 2014 borders and they can just keep hostilities indefinitely.

I know are western overlords are a bunch of cowards and would withdraw the 30 tanks so it's not gonna happen. Just venting.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If they want to expand their targets into Russian terrain, they should first blow up the friendship bridge.

Heck I bet there are a lot of intelligence agencies who would slip them money under the table to target it.

Now this might be 'impossible' because they have 'no navy' and it's 'basically on the other side of the planet', but details details.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 15, 2023

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Real question. At what point will Putin mobilize women too? Because the soviets did in WWII. Could his meat grinder strategy every get to the point he needs to?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

RDM posted:

I'm afraid that because Nazis are Bad I'm going to have to put all these children into a concentration camp because Their Names Are Pronounced Wrong

Soviet history thread is over there

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Not with that attitude!

This is how all wars work. You start poo poo and don't get to cry foul when the fighting spreads to your territory.

As long as we force the war to stay o Ukrainian territory, there's there absolutely no leverage over Russia. 99% of the land could be liberated but they'd have no incentive to stop or negotiate anything. Hell, we could be at pre 2014 borders and they can just keep hostilities indefinitely.

I know are western overlords are a bunch of cowards and would withdraw the 30 tanks so it's not gonna happen. Just venting.

well it is objectively not how all wars work. invaders being kicked out of the place they're invading is an end game in most wars of invasion. if you go on the offense, lose all momentum, can't get anything else done, that's usually gg, especially as public support wanes. which it will even above and beyond the draft problem. russia has currently promised a bunch of civilians home loans and other direct benefits from this war which is justifying the conflict to a lot of folks. that won't hold at normal borders.

Der Kyhe posted:

Yeah, this is smaller country being bullied by an rear end in a top hat and not given enough hardware to get rid of the invaders, nor given the permission to damage anything the bully owns, only their own stuff which they have to fix out of their own pocket later.

Being limited to attacks against the enemy supply lines only on the land you have lost already is insane limitation against the Ukrainians.
nobody said it's supply lines only on their land. there's been a number of cross-border shellings on airfields, ammo dumps, hell the baltic fleet. nobody's got any issue with that. ukraine struck moscow itself with suicide drones and the criticism was very muted. what's being said is that when you start taking land from russia it changes the tenor of the conflict a lot and not in ways you really want to go. it's also a scope increase that the ukrainians themselves are probably not eager to dive into.

like if it goes to giving a bunch of pissed off russian farmers some RPGs and AKs so they can maraud like we saw last summer then i'm sure ukraine will do that, but UA-branded soldiers pushing into russia is not a great idea for a huge bag of reasons, both practically and diplomatically.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Real question. At what point will Putin mobilize women too? Because the soviets did in WWII. Could his meat grinder strategy every get to the point he needs to?

Russia still has plenty of men so years if ever

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if there is enough will, nation-states have gotten 10, 25, 50, 75% of all the men in a country killed in war and kept on going.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Coolguye posted:

nobody said it's supply lines only on their land. there's been a number of cross-border shellings on airfields, ammo dumps, hell the baltic fleet. nobody's got any issue with that. ukraine struck moscow itself with suicide drones and the criticism was very muted. what's being said is that when you start taking land from russia it changes the tenor of the conflict a lot and not in ways you really want to go. it's also a scope increase that the ukrainians themselves are probably not eager to dive into.

Except that ATACMS, Storm shadows and I understood that also the shorter range HIMARS systems are all geoblocked so that they literally cannot target anything across the Russian border. They cannot even strike the supply lines or railway junctions and such, which would be primary targets for long-range missiles against enemy logistics, is what I meant. And that is a comically huge disadvantage.

It is all fine and dandy now, when Ukraine is still fighting deep inside Ukraine, but if the front moves any closer to the 2014 borders the Russians can just put their truck yards, toy cabinets and ammo dumps on their side of the border and there is nothing Ukrainians can do about it, because there is no political will or trust to give Ukrainian army the weapons they need.

Also, Longest range artillery-based weapons reach about 30-40 km whereas HIMARS does 150 km. So there is about ~100 km gap where Ukrainian artillery cannot reach, and they need NATO-given weapons, or their own much less powerful drones to strike the Russian logistics hubs and command centers. So Ukrainian army basically has two options, stay at least 150 km away from the border so that NATO guns work properly while forcing Russians to find ways to work with very long and unreliable supply routes, or fight as close to the border as possible so that their own artillery can create the needed area denial and try to keep the Russians on their side of the border while sending the NATO gear elsewhere where they aren't glorified paperweights.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 15, 2023

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/KitKlarenberg/status/1724795373141835832

“Wrap it up Zman, we’ve got a new and shiny war to focus on… you got til years end”

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Concerning. 🤣🤣🤣

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Is this US govt spokespeople from the redneck legislative fresh from being slapped down in the local elections?

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

The Top G posted:

“Wrap it up Zman, we’ve got a new and shiny war to focus on… you got til years end”
CIA is gonna have to sell a *lot* of crack to find this war without Congress

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Top G posted:

Тревожно

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The Top G posted:

oh hey the greyzone, I am sure they arnt talking out their rear end.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

RDM posted:

CIA is gonna have to sell a *lot* of crack to find this war without Congress

Do you think they... even have that much crack?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Karate Bastard posted:

Do you think... they even have that much crack?

They have more than you would think, but less than you would hope.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
They will have to open a new front in the crack wars

A new season in the war on drugs just opened

Everyone just high as poo poo, farting onto X

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I’m not sure that post had enough keywords for me to respond to it. Can they workshop in a mention of neoliberalism or something?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

Except that ATACMS, Storm shadows and I understood that also the shorter range HIMARS systems are all geoblocked so that they literally cannot target anything across the Russian border. They cannot even strike the supply lines or railway junctions and such, which would be primary targets for long-range missiles against enemy logistics, is what I meant. And that is a comically huge disadvantage.

It is all fine and dandy now, when Ukraine is still fighting deep inside Ukraine, but if the front moves any closer to the 2014 borders the Russians can just put their truck yards, toy cabinets and ammo dumps on their side of the border and there is nothing Ukrainians can do about it, because there is no political will or trust to give Ukrainian army the weapons they need.

Also, Longest range artillery-based weapons reach about 30-40 km whereas HIMARS does 150 km. So there is about ~100 km gap where Ukrainian artillery cannot reach, and they need NATO-given weapons, or their own much less powerful drones to strike the Russian logistics hubs and command centers. So Ukrainian army basically has two options, stay at least 150 km away from the border so that NATO guns work while forcing Russians to find ways to work with very long and unreliable supply routes, or fight as close to the border as possible, so that their own artillery can create the needed area denial for operations and keep the Russians on their side of the border.
having worked with those geoblocks in the past you'd be surprised how holey they are and even if they weren't updated you could still routinely get ~100 km into an area before it reliably says no. geofencing for crap like securities is so hilariously slipshod that the FTC just checks to see if you are trying at all. all of that runs on the same GPS locator network.

this is all assuming that what you're saying about those geoblocks is fully true though, i haven't seen anything about that and that would otherwise be a huge thing to mention. it would make substantially more sense, be hugely more reliable, and a shitload easier to program if you simply set blackout coordinates around settlements. which... fine, you can do that, that's not actually an issue for logistics warfare. even if russia goes to ammo dumps in civilian areas you can just smash the railways and highways nearby them. settlement blackout zones would also not be remarkable or report-worthy which would explain why we haven't seen much more of it.

Strategic Tea posted:

Is this US govt spokespeople from the redneck legislative fresh from being slapped down in the local elections?
it's a lie from top to bottom, the entire thing about "the US is declaring funding for ukraine is over" is related to the budget crisis and the white house has said they're going to do everything they can under the situation.

the continuing resolution that passed the house is "clean" and does not defund anything so OSTENSIBLY that will allow the white house to get back to work on ukraine, but i don't pretend to know the intricacies of the topic.

also, you are responding to poo poo top g posted. shameful.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

if there is enough will, nation-states have gotten 10, 25, 50, 75% of all the men in a country killed in war and kept on going.

Paraguay didn't surrender in the Paraguayan War til they hit 90% of their male population KIA

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, thats the high mark

is 90% in the cards? prolly not. is 10%? absolutely. its at 0.1% right now, so they wouldnt flinch if it went to 1%.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Sorry I have to interrupt I have actually just been informed the CIA is redirecting all Ukrainian funding to the top secret Project Ligma

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I bet Top G believes that Maidan was a CIA plot too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HonorableTB posted:

Paraguay didn't surrender in the Paraguayan War til they hit 90% of their male population KIA

that's one of those 'highest end' estimates, largely based on a census that is generally considered to be a total fabrication by historians.

Not that it wasn't incredibly bloody but due to the awful sources available, current scholarship puts the death toll in the ridiculously wide range between 7% and 70%.