Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Hmmm. I remain unconvinced by the thread's consensus on means testing being verboten. A bit of an unfair example maybe but what about during COVID when all those companies were given whatever grants and poo poo which half of then didn't need or did not in fact exist at all? Some kind of means testing seems like it might have been good there.

Ok fine, but means testing in reality is never used for anything but poor-crushing. If you really need to attach "neolib" or "Tory" to the phrase "means testing" then knock yourself out, but I don't think you've really landed on a thread gotcha there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Hmmm. I remain unconvinced by the thread's consensus on means testing being verboten. A bit of an unfair example maybe but what about during COVID when all those companies were given whatever grants and poo poo which half of then didn't need or did not in fact exist at all? Some kind of means testing seems like it might have been good there.

Inclusion and exclusion errors are very hard to fix, even with some ridiculously simple criterion like "cash for the 20% poorest olds". And that's only one of many issues

But I do agree that when corporations want welfare, they should be subject to tory neo liberal means testing

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Hahaha Sunak is just going to pass a law that says Rwanda is safe. It's so easy!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oh good, we're up to the emergency legislation phase of fascism. Good, super. loving ace.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
Jesus just purge the nutters and call an election

Tedsville
Aug 21, 2020

Huffing Mr Sheen to make the phone calls go away

Tesseraction posted:

also I've got the latest big cold and it's a real fucker, I'm cocooned up in bed to try and boil this bastard out

I only just got over it yesterday. It was two full weeks of phlegm-based bullshit.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
He disagrees with - but respects - the court decision which was actually very good and in agreement with him, and once he passes a new law that says everyone has to accept that as true and not the desperate flailing of a man who’s fallen into a slurry pit, the deportation planes will be leaving on schedule.

Love me a good politiks, simple as.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
How can you be sure that attempts to have further flights won’t be held up in the courts as well?

Sunak says he understands people’s concerns. But, he says, he has made progress.

lol. lmao.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I don't like any of these cunts.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
means testing is nothing to do with bunging your mate's new PPE company a ten billion pound contract though

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I can only speak for the British system but means testing seems to bend inexorably towards the Kafkaesque either by design or accident. You can't flatten complex systems of material circumstances (like "health" or "financial stability") into simple calculations, so as you (or the lawyers taking you to task because you "forgot" to account for special cases when you wrote your sweeping benefit reforms) make the tests more "sophisticated", you make them more and more impenetrable to the person(s) they're supposed to help. I would need a whiteboard and several days to explain to you how the transitional protection and Supporting Small Business Relief schemes work for business rates, and I would challenge any local authority to show their working to an applicant.

This occasionally becomes outright ghoulishness, e.g. (TW: rape) denoting a child as the result of rape or sexual assault so as to reduce the rate of bedroom tax applied to a Housing Benefit claim

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

He MEANS it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
:nyd:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Betjeman posted:

Jesus just purge the nutters and call an election

New Labour are just as hideous on immigration, just not as publicly cruel. Never forget that Yarl's Wood was opened by Labour.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i loving hate these ghouls so loving much

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Rofl emergency legalisation to say Rwanda is cool and good and you should totally visit sometime.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Communist Bear posted:

Rofl emergency legalisation to say Rwanda is cool and good and you should totally visit sometime.

I'm sure Rwanda is lovely if you are a rich white tourist.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Thankfully the way the judgement works Sunak can't just pass a law saying " Rwanda is safe af", it would take the UN saying Rwanda is safe before anyone can be sent there.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

notaspy posted:

Thankfully the way the judgement works Sunak can't just pass a law saying " Rwanda is safe af", it would take the UN saying Rwanda is safe before anyone can be sent there.

Bold of you to assume he won't simply withdraw us from the UN.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sunak wouldn't be able to stop a toddler playing with a toy boat in a bath tub, little dude.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

stev posted:

Taking our rightful place alongside North Korea, Palestine, and Vatican City.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

It's also pointed out that any legislation would need to pass both houses and the Lords is almost certainly going to block it (the one good thing that place exists for). Going through the Parliament Act would take upwards of a year so this "emergency" legislation likely won't survive the government

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm taking an extraordinary step of declaring my bank account has 4 million in it, and that I'm 6'4, not 5'5. If he can make up blatant bullshit, why not everyone else

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
rishi is pure fumin babez xx

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Alright, what have I missed?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

When did you enter the coma?

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
April 2016. Is Pissflaps still arguing about what should and shouldn’t be counted as a troop?

e: month.

Pork Pie Hat fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 15, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pissflaps has been permanently exiled.

E: from both the thread and the site, I think?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
i'm beginning to suspect the point of all this is to sustain media coverage of fighting the war on the woke establishment and all the rwanda stuff is not actually serious policy

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Sometime in 2016. Is Pissflaps still arguing about what should and shouldn’t be counted as a troop?

A couple days ago I would have said you could come out of hiding without someone sticking their pecker up your pie hat

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

the guardian posted:

As well as the three frontbenchers mentioned below, other Labour MPs expected to vote for the SNP’s Gaza ceasefire motion are: Tahir Ali, Rosena Allin-Khan, Dawn Butler, Richard Burgon, Ian Byrne, Barry Gardiner, Clive Lewis, Emma Lewell-Buck, Ian Lavery, Rebecca Long-Bailey, Andy McDonald, Rachael Maskell, John McDonnell, Grahame Morris, Imran Hussain, Kate Hollern, Kate Osamor, Kate Osborne, Bell Ribeiro-Addy, Lloyd Russell-Moyle, Zarah Sultana, Jon Cruddas, Jon Trickett, Beth Winter, Mohammad Yasin, and Rupa Huq.

see if yours is in there i guess

always surprised when i see McDonnell is still a Labour MP - would have thought they'd have found a way to kick him out by now too

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Nuclear Spoon posted:

see if yours is in there i guess

always surprised when i see McDonnell is still a Labour MP - would have thought they'd have found a way to kick him out by now too

I often wonder that too - he's sort of outspokenish about the leadership which would have seen other MPs get the whip withdrawn. Wonder what he's got on Starmeroid?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
No surprise my MP isn't listed. A lickspittle supreme, they are

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pork Pie Hat posted:

April 2016. Is Pissflaps still arguing about what should and shouldn’t be counted as a troop?

Pissflaps got permabanned and now spends his time being insanely racist and transphobic on Twitter.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

stev posted:

No way are we leaving our seat at the big boy's table at the UN. Unless America does it first.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

You really came back to the UKMT after seven years? Oh my

Well, there was this guy corbyn right,

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Did you hear about Brexit?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hang on, hosed off in 2016, returned november 2023...

OP are you actually david cameron?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The clue is in the name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Hang on, hosed off in 2016, returned november 2023...

OP are you actually david cameron?

He wasn't getting the respect he wanted on Twitter... so here we are. :shrug: