Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I tried a solar hunter with radiant gunslinger stuff, lucky pants, and my adept handcannon. Oh boy, I thought, I can make my big iron and knives deal with any champion!

Turns out radiant sucks and every other verb overrides it and I got crunched instantly lmao. Back to the drawing board

I've been doing this since HCs got buffed minus the lucky pants. Can you explain what's overriding Radiant? It's meant to be a stacking damage verb and I didn't know anything could actually replace it. Unless there's some weird interaction with Overload HC, Radiant giving anti-barrier and Lucky Pants?

I'm really curious about this now, please share more :)

Horsebanger posted:

Power grind per expansion isn't awful, per season it is.

Number can go up yearly. As a treat.

I feel like this has been a good way to handle it. Seasonal jumps aren't really a climb in power for most people who hit power/pinnacle cap, just a check list to do for each season. But letting it reset every year works fine. Also what if instead of increasing the cap they just hit reset power on everyone's items, so we're all like, 100 again. Everything. Then they mess up and leave the power/pinnacle at 1900 still lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I don't mind going up in power in an expansion.

Regrinding power every season is just re-grinding power to be able to do the same things I already was able to do, and that's just lovely design.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Neomunda is always a little over your light level, right?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Kith posted:

with all of the talk about how bungie dreads negative pr, they would be extremely loving stupid to put it back in.

Got it, so they’re going to bump it up 30 points to make up for lost time

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

syntaxfunction posted:

I've been doing this since HCs got buffed minus the lucky pants. Can you explain what's overriding Radiant? It's meant to be a stacking damage verb and I didn't know anything could actually replace it. Unless there's some weird interaction with Overload HC, Radiant giving anti-barrier and Lucky Pants?

I'm really curious about this now, please share more :)

I feel like this has been a good way to handle it. Seasonal jumps aren't really a climb in power for most people who hit power/pinnacle cap, just a check list to do for each season. But letting it reset every year works fine. Also what if instead of increasing the cap they just hit reset power on everyone's items, so we're all like, 100 again. Everything. Then they mess up and leave the power/pinnacle at 1900 still lol

It's not stacking. My overload handcannon with radiant cannot stop anti-barriers. It doesn't touch their shields. Looking around reddit and a few sites confirms the behavior - artifact overrides it all. I wanted it to be both lol. I could just reset it or wait for next season but it kinda defeated the purpose

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Azubah posted:

Neomunda is always a little over your light level, right?

Always +10, I'm pretty sure.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Kith posted:

power grind removal contributed to player retention and was widely seen as a positive move. with all of the talk about how bungie dreads negative pr, they would be extremely loving stupid to put it back in.

the streamers want the power grind back so unfortunately i'd say odds are not unlikely it'll be back next season, fairly likely it'll be back in the post-TFS episodes, and will certainly be back for TFS

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Honestly the power grind never left, it just took on a new form (XP for Artifact Power).

That +10 artifact power unlocks a lot of doors each season

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, they just removed the part where you have to win RNG a bunch of times to advance. That's now a special treat reserved for yearly expansions, probably

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

It's not stacking. My overload handcannon with radiant cannot stop anti-barriers. It doesn't touch their shields. Looking around reddit and a few sites confirms the behavior - artifact overrides it all. I wanted it to be both lol. I could just reset it or wait for next season but it kinda defeated the purpose

Oh wow that's good to know, but also pretty funny that radiant only applies if it can add anti-barrier essentially, that seems like a bad way to do it. So I guess that means OL LMGs and similar would have the same restriction, which is dumb. You'd think they'd separate out requiring anti-barrier and Radiant. The only excuse I can think of is "but overcharged damage bonus + even more Radiant bonus" but for a convoluted setup I think it'd be fair.

Thanks for letting me know, killed a build I was planning lol

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

syntaxfunction posted:

You'd think they'd separate out requiring anti-barrier and Radiant. The only excuse I can think of is "but overcharged damage bonus + even more Radiant bonus" but for a convoluted setup I think it'd be fair.
I might be wrong, but it's probably the 'fix' they added after the season when people were just using Devil's Ruin to deal with every champion. Just a flat-out block saying 'a weapon can only have one anti-champ type active' conflicting with the new 'subclass verbs activate anti champ' mechanics.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Horsebanger posted:

Power grind per expansion isn't awful, per season it is.

Number can go up yearly. As a treat.

They're both bad if they're going to set fixed difficulties for just about all activities. You get nothing from a new grind.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It kind of makes sense thematically for the expansions because the plot of those is usually "you cannot defeat the thing yet, you need to become more powerful."

That's also true to a certain extent for seasons, I guess, but also it's annoying and the last year has proved they don't have to. And as GGGC said, the seasonal artefacts kind of fill that role.

E: they do need to do something to make pinnacles better if they're not going to keep bumping light. Maybe let you trade them for eververse engrams or bright dust? I personally feel like bright dust and cosmetics are one of the few things I still get excited for now.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 15, 2023

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, they clarified this a while ago. The priority order is intrinsic > artifact > temporary effects.

So an exotic with an intrinsic anti-champion effect can not have any other effect and artifact mods will negate any temporary anti-champion effect, as you found out.

Note that this extends to secondary effects caused by the weapon as well. If you have AB autorifles active and cause an ignition with Tommy's Matchbook the explosion won't stun unstoppables.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I might be wrong, but it's probably the 'fix' they added after the season when people were just using Devil's Ruin to deal with every champion. Just a flat-out block saying 'a weapon can only have one anti-champ type active' conflicting with the new 'subclass verbs activate anti champ' mechanics.

It's this. Lemon will only stop overload champions, even if you have anti-barrier bows from the seasonal artifact

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

One problem with light levels constantly going up seasonally is the vault.

This is probably me overthinking it, but it's weird having a vault full of guns and then not using most of them because most of them are sitting at base light (or at various points under the hard cap). And I upgrade a few favourites when I have the modules and guns to use for mulch, but then next expansion they're poo poo again.

When it was each season, I hit burnout and couldn't be arsed - why bother when I'll have to do it again in a few months? Just upgrade Thorn, Mechabre and Temptation's Hook and I can't be arsed with anything else. Which is a bad way for your customer base to start thinking in the gun game where new guns are the carrot.

It's less bad now, and at one point I was considering doing pinnacles to infuse a bunch of old favourites. The difference being that I would have been doing it because I wanted to and to get to use some different guns, not as a seasonal chore.

But the process of vault management and infusion, even with the 3rd party tools is absolute dogshit. I was going to use DIM to make sure I had one of each weapon type in each element and just junk the rest, and then I considered literally anything else I could be doing with that time, and didn't.

Most people could save a ton of inventory space if they allowed players to convert pinnacle guns / engrams into stackable infusion items. So instead of going through your vault and thinking 'am I keeping this because it's a good roll or because it's a pinnacle for infusion,' just let us store it as a stackable consumable instead!

Adding filters to the vault so you can view gun type & element would be a huge bonus. The fact they added this for eververse and not the vault really shows you where their priorities lie.

2nd idea to save vault space: Banshee weekly reward item that lets you pull a random roll from collections. You wouldn't need to keep all those guns 'in case' they become meta!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The upside of it being the way it is now is that you can pretty safely discard every gun you have at this point that's still 1600. If you haven't used it in an entire season you're not likely to use it at all.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Counterpoint: guns are friends.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Collateral Damage posted:

The upside of it being the way it is now is that you can pretty safely discard every gun you have at this point that's still 1600. If you haven't used it in an entire season you're not likely to use it at all.

By this point (3/4 of the way through the expansion), yeah that's probably safe. I'll say though, artifact mods really change up the classes/weapons I play every season, so I'd say "an entire season" isn't enough of a buffer to make that decision without some regrets.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I can't bring myself to not keep at least one of everything around.

But the power climb feels stupid in expansions too, because I don't really understand what it accomplishes beyond giving players an extra push to do the legendary campaign. It's not like WoW or FF14 where a new level/power cap enables you to go stomp/solo old content.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Yeah if you aren’t checking Banshee on the weekly to see if he has a Gallu roll to replace your current unused one, idk man.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Trash everything, embrace the crafted only lifestyle

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have a rule which is if by the end of a season (sometimes two) I don't have at least a 100 or more kills on something new then I gotta try it out and just decide then and there if it works or not for me. PvP focused weapons get more leeway but I gotta be using them sometimes at least.

If I've had guns sit around at lower than current power then they regular get used or sharded. As a result I have a whopping 170 purple weapons in my vault total excluding infusion fodder. I hate clutter and I like using things I have, so if I have something and I'm not using it then it's clutter.

Definitely gets me familiar with whatever I do like tho. I am not massive on bows usually but I've grown to really love my Point of the Stag with Dragonfly and Archer's Tempo in PvE, which popped up on my chopping block search in DIM.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Trash everything, embrace the crafted only lifestyle

I'm leaning toward this :ohdear:

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

syntaxfunction posted:

Oh wow that's good to know, but also pretty funny that radiant only applies if it can add anti-barrier essentially, that seems like a bad way to do it. So I guess that means OL LMGs and similar would have the same restriction, which is dumb. You'd think they'd separate out requiring anti-barrier and Radiant. The only excuse I can think of is "but overcharged damage bonus + even more Radiant bonus" but for a convoluted setup I think it'd be fair.

Thanks for letting me know, killed a build I was planning lol

Everything you ever wanted to know about anti champion

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/1618fma/comprehensive_breakdown_infographic_of_all/

Court posts good stuff if you want to check out his other stuff too.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

neutral milf hotel posted:

I'm leaning toward this :ohdear:
I do this on my alts to keep things simple. Main character is a messy bitch though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I want a DIM filter that highlights poo poo I haven’t equipped or used in X amount of time. I bet like 80% of my vault goes unused.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Was bored, made a Fighting Lion build. I love it dearly: https://dim.gg/txh2dfq/Gamma

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mesadoram posted:

Was bored, made a Fighting Lion build. I love it dearly: https://dim.gg/txh2dfq/Gamma

Somewhere, Kith stirs...

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Lib and let die posted:

Somewhere, Kith stirs...

Kith is 100% correct, the Fighting Lion is awesome :hmmyes:.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
I don't do much PvP, I'm terrible at it, but the last time I did I had a decent amount of fun just trying to bounce Fighting Lion 'nades into the way of people before even seeing them.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Mesadoram posted:

I see 2 grenade launchers but no Heavy GL. Slacker :colbert:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

T1g4h posted:

I see 2 grenade launchers but no Heavy GL. Slacker :colbert:

Until they give me a larger ammo reserve, big no to HGL :colbert:.

Also, that machine gun is just too good for PvE. You can slap that thing on any spec and be golden.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I tried a solar hunter with radiant gunslinger stuff, lucky pants, and my adept handcannon. Oh boy, I thought, I can make my big iron and knives deal with any champion!

Turns out radiant sucks and every other verb overrides it and I got crunched instantly lmao. Back to the drawing board

Solar Hunter, mostly due to simply being a solar subclass, is actually incredibly good and a popular Contest hunter build. The solar provides a great deal of survivability and the class offers alot of +stat and easily looped survival abilities that pivot off solar kills. Assassins Cowl is preferred in a day one situation with a hot swap to SES for damage. The DPS super also stacks with....everything without any conflict unlike arc hunter.

Radiant is a free 25% (?) damage boost that is also amazing. If you have a solar hand canon and proc resto through either firesprites or throwing your grenade at your feet, you can keep it rolling through Ember of Emperyean and solar kills with either your gun or your powered melee making you....basically invicible tbh.

I'm not a hunter main but I experimented with a solar lucky pants build in last weeks GM for fun and had a pretty good time. https://dim.gg/pghz4bi/Solar-Lucky-Pants

You should try with a solar weapon, preferably Sunshot or zhalouies bane if you insist on lucky pants, but the real solar hunter is Asscowl in hard stuff where you need to live and its SES in stuff where there is a DPS check. Caliban's, YAS, and a few other exotics are fun to gently caress around in.

Power Melee red bar kill after a tap or 2 to proc resto and survive on things. You can play it almost like hammer titan sometimes. build out melee gives grenade back to juice your healing grenade, melee gives super to power your super, run absolution and recuperation in your feet and orb aoe gatehr in your class item

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Waroduce posted:

Solar Hunter, mostly due to simply being a solar subclass, is actually incredibly good and a popular Contest hunter build. The solar provides a great deal of survivability and the class offers alot of +stat and easily looped survival abilities that pivot off solar kills. Assassins Cowl is preferred in a day one situation with a hot swap to SES for damage. The DPS super also stacks with....everything without any conflict unlike arc hunter.

Radiant is a free 25% (?) damage boost that is also amazing. If you have a solar hand canon and proc resto through either firesprites or throwing your grenade at your feet, you can keep it rolling through Ember of Emperyean and solar kills with either your gun or your powered melee making you....basically invicible tbh.

I'm not a hunter main but I experimented with a solar lucky pants build in last weeks GM for fun and had a pretty good time. https://dim.gg/pghz4bi/Solar-Lucky-Pants

You should try with a solar weapon, preferably Sunshot or zhalouies bane if you insist on lucky pants, but the real solar hunter is Asscowl in hard stuff where you need to live and its SES in stuff where there is a DPS check. Caliban's, YAS, and a few other exotics are fun to gently caress around in.

Power Melee red bar kill after a tap or 2 to proc resto and survive on things. You can play it almost like hammer titan sometimes. build out melee gives grenade back to juice your healing grenade, melee gives super to power your super, run absolution and recuperation in your feet and orb aoe gatehr in your class item

If I ever get an rear end cowl (separate from buttcapes) I'll have to give this another shot and just take my artifact mods off if needed. Hunters are my least favorite class but I'm starting to branch out since, well, we have til next year lol

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

RBA Starblade posted:

If I ever get an rear end cowl (separate from buttcapes) I'll have to give this another shot and just take my artifact mods off if needed. Hunters are my least favorite class but I'm starting to branch out since, well, we have til next year lol

Cowl only drops once you clear the Shadow keep campaign on hunter, and arc cowl is way better than solar cowl.

Since the YAS nerf I kinda agree that there's not a great Solar pve exotic. If you're not running SES for damage lucky pants may actually be the best. If you end up doing that try and get yourself a wardens law because it's by far and away the best lucky pants gun.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Are pubbies not shooting shriekers in Lightblade for a reason? They keep getting owned lol

Hackan Slash posted:

Cowl only drops once you clear the Shadow keep campaign on hunter, and arc cowl is way better than solar cowl.

Since the YAS nerf I kinda agree that there's not a great Solar pve exotic. If you're not running SES for damage lucky pants may actually be the best. If you end up doing that try and get yourself a wardens law because it's by far and away the best lucky pants gun.

The adept handcannon I was using was WL with vorpal weapon in fact! It was pretty beefy lol

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Are pubbies not shooting shriekers in Lightblade for a reason? They keep getting owned lol

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

“raids should have matchmaking!” mfs blown the gently caress out again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Hackan Slash posted:

Everything you ever wanted to know about anti champion

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/1618fma/comprehensive_breakdown_infographic_of_all/

Court posts good stuff if you want to check out his other stuff too.

Thanks. I know this infographic well, the part that got me is it sounds like you don't get the Radiant damage bonus *unless* it can give anti-barrier. I know you can only have one champ modifier at a time, etc, but unless someone can confirm otherwise it seems that Radiant while using a weapon that already has an anti-champ mod receives no damage buff?

That's the part that confuses me, I was under the impression Radiant was a global buff, not dependent on weapons being able to be made anti-barrier.

I'll probably just go test that unless someone can inform me before I do lol. Just seems like a silly way to make it work otherwise.

Edit: shriekers seem like the thing that 90% of pubbies have no idea how to handle, so they just ignore it. Was the same in altars, the moment I saw pubbies hit the T3 button and shriekers come out I just accepted they would die. And they do, over and over. I don't know why people ignore the floating death boxes.

syntaxfunction fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 16, 2023