Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
All cosmere spoilers there’s a bunch of minor details in sunlit man that touch on a lot of these topics. I haven’t quite finished but I’m thinking of the pure investiture on the lab table and the mention of an Awakened steelmind suggesting cross-planet investiture interaction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Lawnie posted:

All cosmere spoilers there’s a bunch of minor details in sunlit man that touch on a lot of these topics. I haven’t quite finished but I’m thinking of the pure investiture on the lab table and the mention of an Awakened steelmind suggesting cross-planet investiture interaction
That's not cross-polination of the arts, though, just a recognition that you can pour enough Investiture into anything to make it sapient and people who already had a way of storing knowledge on inanimate objects taking advantage of that to wake up a metalmind and turn it into an AI. A Mistborn with a Nahel bond would be terrifying.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
(More all Cosmere spoilers and rambling guesses) There's also the idea that spren are reflections of reality in the Cognitive Realm, so they really really ought to exist other places. It's possible that stormlight or Preservation's influence in general just makes them more 'real.' It would definitely explain how Sigzil's armor and shardblade work.

Investiture is a weird, but I don't know that I'd expect normal metal to hold it. The important part for holding Investiture is Connection, from how I understand it. An otherwise normal iron nail should work for an allomancer the same regardless of where in the Cosmere you are. The Cognitive properties wouldn't be that different.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
In the end, a lot of this reads like "Who would win in a fight - Goku or Superman?" and the exciting thing is that someday we're going to get those answers.

Also, Goku would win.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

WoB is that mistborn can use their powers with any metals from any planet

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Tunicate posted:

The analogy he uses is that the metals are a key that unlock the intrinsic access to Investiture that Scadrian allomancers/feruchemists have. A catalyst of sorts, though one that gets used up (in the case of allomancers)

I do like the possibilities and wrinkles that would happen if that weren't the case, like the vampire analogy mentioned earlier

mewse
May 2, 2006

I hope Sanderson understands the periodic table better than he understands noise cancelling headphones

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

mewse posted:

I hope Sanderson understands the periodic table better than he understands noise cancelling headphones

How well does he understand noise cancelling headphones?

mewse
May 2, 2006

pik_d posted:

How well does he understand noise cancelling headphones?

there’s a whole section in rhythm of war where it’s kinda obvious he doesn’t understand sound waves / sound frequencies / noise cancelling tech and when fans ask him about it he says it’s magic shut up

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

McSpankWich posted:

I've read all of Malazan (excluding the final two ICE novels) and you're right, Erikson's pacing is crazy. The best way I can think to describe it is that he moves from event to event without fully resolving or beginning any of them. So you're jumping between massive world changing confluences of superpowers but most of the introductory and conclusory work is done offscreen. I really enjoyed it despite that, I think the character work and perspective is great. Most of the story is told from the perspective of army grunts who don't matter, and are just kind of living through what's going on, the result is unique, interesting, and unlike any other series I've read. I think part of the reason that not knowing what's going on didn't bother me is because the characters ALSO don't know what's going on and you're all kind of figuring it out together. When you're saying "what is this poo poo now?" so are the characters

The Black Company kind of does this too, but I found it much easier to read/enjoyable

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

mewse posted:

when fans ask him about it he says it’s magic shut up

based

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

brandon's been doing that more lately, people'll be asking obscure questions about orbital mechanics and poo poo and honestly the only correct response is "it's magic and it works like i say it does, shut up"

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

mewse posted:

there’s a whole section in rhythm of war where it’s kinda obvious he doesn’t understand sound waves / sound frequencies / noise cancelling tech and when fans ask him about it he says it’s magic shut up

tbf audiophiles are insufferable.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lol I talked to a guy who was involved beta reading on that bit, and brandon is aware that isn't how things work IRL, he just doesn't care because it would mess with the story (see also the weird spectrometer stuff in TLM).

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I bet he's still mad about having to change Silvereye to Tineye so now he just goes "it works because I said so"

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Tunicate posted:

Minor WoR spoilers Mord do not read or have read to you by your wife or scribeWe see Hoid use emotional allomancy with Rosharan metals in Shallan's flashback.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

eke out posted:

brandon's been doing that more lately, people'll be asking obscure questions about orbital mechanics and poo poo and honestly the only correct response is "it's magic and it works like i say it does, shut up"

The problem with writing magic systems that appear to technical people is when those people get too technical on you, and I don't blame him for a little "a wizard did it" he relies on that far less the other writers.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

pik_d posted:

I bet he's still mad about having to change Silvereye to Tineye so now he just goes "it works because I said so"

I always associated Tineye with a deliberate reference to having a tin ear (i.e. being unable to hear well, no it does not make sense in context, no YOU shut up!) kind of like how he had people use foil-lined hats to prevent emotional allomancy

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Oathbringer Prologue & Chapters 77-87 & Interludes (2nd half of Part 3)

Brandon Sanderson is an absolute monster for the ending of this part of the book. I'm glad this wasn't a book end, but now also I'm worried about what is going to come in Parts 4 and 5.

I liked the group of epigraphs about the unmade Ba-Ado-Mishram being the Unmade that connects the Parshendi to the forms of power, that's some very cool lore that's it's one of the Unmade who do that.

I'm glad these chapters started with Kaladin noticing Shallan/Veil making eyes at him, and then Shallan asking Kaladin and Adolin "you boys done comparing your swords?". These three need to gently caress out their PTSD after the next few chapters.

Shallan also got her first squire in Vathah, but holy gently caress am I ever worried about him now, given he's not around and lost in a conquered city at best. At least he's better off than the street urchins that Shallan/Veil/Swiftspren was helping, though that led to Hoid doing "something" to Shallan's Illusions. The two versions of Shallan he made Illusions of (seriously, does he have access to the Illumination surgebinding?) reminded me very much of Malatium's ability to see two alternate versions of someone. That would be a fun mix of Allomancy and surgebindings.

I'm pretty much convinced that Azure is Vivenna, from the "I'd bet my red life on it" to the fact that her sword sucks the color out of people just like Nightblood. I'm guessing she Awakened her own blade since Nightblood is with Szeth.

The loss of Kholinar though, that whole sequence was incredibly brutal. Thunderclast right out of the gates, plenty of Fused flying around killing people, then Elhokar's journey to finding his wife is now some weird gemstone infused bonded monster who claims Yelig-nar (???) serves her. He even rescued his son for all of about 10 minutes before goddamn loving Moash killed him right as he was saying the First Ideal. This whole thing was so disgusting. He was finally turning things around and felt like he was making progress towards being a good king. I also feel cheated out of knowing which Radiant Order he would have been, I've been wondering for books if he was going to join one, most likely the Lightweavers since the Cryptics visited him early on.

And Kaladin is broken again, though more in spirit than his connection to Syl. He saw his Parshendi pals and his Wall Guard buddies slaughter each other as Moash was killing Elhokar. I'm glad Adolin was there for him.

Sja-anat claiming to not be Shallan's enemy and trying not to kill them was quite a swerve, finding an ally among the Unmade would be pretty interesting. That could, in theory, help them recover the corrupted spren later on. Them ending up in Shadesmar was pretty wild, and I did like Adolin being the POV character here, describing the "sentinalspren" as well as Pattern, Syl, and what I can only assume is the sprenification of Vivenna's blade, unless she's also a Radiant as well as Awakener. Shallan can, in theory, return to the Physical Realm, but she's got the party with her so I'm guessing they'll be here for a while, but maybe Hoid, Khriss/Nazh, or even Kelsier could show up?

Me reading the last few chapters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

I was hoping that Venli's spren in her was Eshonai, but it's "just" a spren that made her envoyform for Odium, at least she's got Timbre the cometspren to try and keep her from falling completely into Odiums influence. Seems like a long shot though, Timbre vs Odium.

The Mem interlude was really interesting. Pom sounds like Baxil's misress in his Interlude in WoK. Mraize calls her "Ancient One" which mirrors Venli calling the Fused "Ancient One" as well. On one hand, Pom could be one of the (finally!!) female Heralds, but her physical description isn't far off from Khriss. It makes slightly more sense for a slightly insane Herald to go after the Oilsworn's (the guy from Shallan's sketch textbook!!) paintings of Heralds, but honestly anyone would be intersted in knowing where Talenel is. If she is a Herald, my bet is on Shalash or Betab for a) Shallan/Jasnah synergy and b) Shalash's statue in the Kholinar palace was missing/destroyed, and Betab is related to oil (for Oilsworn synergy). I hope I get to see Mraize's babsk (Iyatil?) talk to Pom, and I hope I get to find out where Mraize got aether on his pants.

Sheler's interlude was the least interesting. Some Amaram follower (he was in Kaladin's flashbacks) gets caught stealing and assaulting women, and has to face some great shell nicknamed "hog"? And this Herdazian general is an escape artist? Possibly an Edgedancer for the slipperyness? Seems cool maybe.

Progress so far:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

In the end, a lot of this reads like "Who would win in a fight - Goku or Superman?" and the exciting thing is that someday we're going to get those answers.

Also, Goku would win.

I’m going to need you to show your work a bit on that one.

Also, can someone remind me what a Nahel bond is? I know I’ve heard the term, but can’t for the life of me recall what book even, let alone what the term actually means.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Grundulum posted:

Also, can someone remind me what a Nahel bond is? I know I’ve heard the term, but can’t for the life of me recall what book even, let alone what the term actually means.

It's the bond between spren and surgebinder. Pretty sure it's mentioned in WoK and WoR

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Grundulum posted:

Goku will always be exactly as powerful as he needs to be. :colbert:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

goku finally lost to vegeta in a fair fight so anything goes now

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Tunicate posted:

goku finally lost to vegeta in a fair fight so anything goes now

lmao name one fuckin time when Goku actually beat Vegeta

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

CapnAndy posted:

That's not cross-polination of the arts, though, just a recognition that you can pour enough Investiture into anything to make it sapient and people who already had a way of storing knowledge on inanimate objects taking advantage of that to wake up a metalmind and turn it into an AI. A Mistborn with a Nahel bond would be terrifying.

Luckily we have one example.

pik_d posted:

lmao name one fuckin time when Goku actually beat Vegeta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl_HfTZ69Xw

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 16, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

pik_d posted:

In The Bands of Mourning, in one of the broadsheet stories, there is this line that threw me off for a while.

quote:

Nicelle Sauvage posted:
When I drain a Misting of metal reserves, I feel something I can only describe as pulling power from the metal and returning this power to some external source. The metal remains, but the power is gone.

Is the "power" the Investiture? If so, is an Investiture started when a Metalborn ingests the metal or when they start burning it? If it's when they ingest it, can a leecher-drained metal be thrown up and re-ingested (the quote says the metal remains)?

If, however, the Investiture is opened when a metal is burned, what is the leecher leeching from metals not being actively burned?

OR, is the information in this story unreliable? I know it's Allomancers Jak adjacent, but it doesn't have the constant plot holes that his stories do, and it wasn't written by Jak himself.

Pretty unpleasant if you drain someone who has a bunch of unhealthy chemicals in his gut and they don't disappear. Well it's not exactly useful as a combat technique, but long term unpleasant.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

General vague Cosmere question - can you kill a cognitive shadow? Or are they more like an unkillable ghost?

More specific full Cosmere spoilers - In Mistborn Secret History, it doesn’t seem like Kelsier could be killed as a cognitive shadow? Or could he have been? Ruin attacked him but just dazed him a bit. I assume that now that he has a physical body, he could “die” again but would he just go back to being a cognitive shadow?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mordiceius posted:

General vague Cosmere question - can you kill a cognitive shadow? Or are they more like an unkillable ghost?

More specific full Cosmere spoilers - In Mistborn Secret History, it doesn’t seem like Kelsier could be killed as a cognitive shadow? Or could he have been? Ruin attacked him but just dazed him a bit. I assume that now that he has a physical body, he could “die” again but would he just go back to being a cognitive shadow?
That's a very interesting question and I bet you can think of multiple groups who'd be quite keen to know the answer.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CapnAndy posted:

That's a very interesting question and I bet you can think of multiple groups who'd be quite keen to know the answer.

And we do know the answer.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

You could probably do it with Nightblood, since it kills you in all three realms at the same time or something like that, right?.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Tokelau All Star posted:

You could probably do it with Nightblood, since it kills you in all three realms at the same time or something like that, right?.

2/3

its more the 'straight to jail do not pass go' insta deportation from existence

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Dragonsteel Con keynote was livestreamed, with some pretty big news:

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qa8Xo9jYLg (announcements)
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sqATA1rkWo (the keynote, Q&A, Stormlight 5 reading)

Two big things that I'm excited about :
1. The Dragonsteel Bookstore is happening!
2. A revised White Sand Prose version is coming!

And a whole slew of other future book announcements re: Mistborn Era 3 and Elantris 2 and 3.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Oathbringer Chapters 88-113 & Interludes (Part 4)

I've read parts 1-4 of this book called Oathbringer and I still haven't read more than the preface of the in-world book Oathbringer so I'm a little confused about that. I'm more convinced than ever that it's the obvious choice, Dalinar, who wrote in-world Oathbringer, or at least dictated it. Given how this book is ending, he certainly doesn't have the time to write it now.

Hessi's Mythica was fun though, giving us some level of confirmation about a lot of the spren that I thought might be Unmade (Moelach and Nergaoul, though the Nightwatcher is still up in the air, I think she's of Cultivation still). Cusicesh the Protector is the last unique spren that went unmentioned here, aside from the unspecified "Sibling" of the Stormfather. I will say that I am fully on board with trusting Sja-anat's intentions, though maybe not her actions since she is under Odium's thumb to some extent.

Really though, the biggest and most important reveal in Part 4 was that the humans were the original Voidspren. The humans destroyed their previous planet (Ashyn, I assume) with surges then came to Roshar and were taken in by the Parshendi who already lived there. My theory back in WoK was that part of Scadrial (or some other Earth-like Cosmere world) literally had a circle transported onto Roshar that became Shinovar, but I definitely thought that it was just the Shin that came over, not the entire human species on Roshar. The scope of the migration definitely caught me off guard, but I suppose it makes sense given that humans and their "weird" fauna are the only things without gemhearts. This knowledge is going to absolutely devastate Kaladin, to know he's basically on the "wrong" side.

Flashback Dalinar was either at war or drunk for years, with probably not much in between, and it took Gavilar's death at the hands of Szeth to convince Dalinar to think more about what Evi said and go to the Nightwatcher. There's not much book left so I hope I get to actually see that, and possibly even see Dalinar meeting Cultivation since the Stormfather told him he's met her but forgot about it.

Taravangian's plan confused me at first, it seemed like just another go at doing Sadeas' plan of leaking some visions to embarrass Dalinar, which didn't work then. I think ultimately Dalinar can pull through this too, but not sure how to take the Diagram telling Taravangian to become the King of Everything. I feel like he's misinterpreting the message somehow.

I've also really enjoyed reading about the Shadesmar contingent. Shallan finally admitted to Adolin that she's got multiple personalities, and he admitted to her that he killed Sadeas. I did love that her reaction to that was "Good for you." I'm not sure what it'll take for Shallan to accept the different parts of herself, I'm a little disappointed that her telling Adolin the truth didn't count as one of her Radiant Truths since Lightweavers do those instead of Ideals. I do think one of her Truths will be related to that though, accepting that she is Shallan and Veil and Radiant. Her selves leaking out does now mean that she, Adolin, and Kaladin, all have some awareness that she likes both of them, but this probably isn't the book for that to be wrapped up.

We also got basically everything except the actual confirmation that Azure is Vivenna. She talked about Vasher/Zahel and Nightblood, and one of the chapters left off with her planning to Awaken some cloth bales to use against the Fused. I'd have loved to see how she and the honorspren fared against them.

Kaladin manifesting windspren in Shadesmar to the surprise of everyone was certainly something, I'm betting on him saying the Fourth Ideal by the end of this book, and using that to summon ethically sourced Shardplate to give him the upper hand.

Szeth is fast-tracking through his Skybreaker training, but I'm worried that Nale is about to ask Szeth to kill him for his actions against other Radiants that ultimately proved useless in stopping the Desolation. Pretty rad that he's both a Herald and a Radiant though, and has two Blades. I'd love to see him in action with those.

Venli really doesn't like her God, or gods, or whatever. Hell of a time to have second thoughts though. I hope Timbre isn't lost, Venli seemed upset that she didn't get a chance to pack up before the fleet left, I'm worried Timbre was hiding out in her hermit cave.

Chiri-Chiri is the best bug pet, but I'm confused about where Rysn's story goes from here. At this point she's crippled for life unless she becomes a Radiant, or possibly if she holds an Honorblade. The introduction of perfect gemstones that don't lose their Stormlight is a cool mechanic, and I suspect they'll be sought after like gemhearts used to be given the tactical advantage they give. I wonder if they could be used to jumpstart Urithiru's massive fabrial? Pleases just give me a Renarin POV, he's been stuck in the corners of everyone elses POVs for too long, he's up to something (good or bad, I don't know)!!

Progress so far:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
You’re asking some interesting questions, and you certainly were looking for some of the same information I was when I read Oathbringer. I’m tempted to hint at what does/doesn’t get addressed in currently-published books, but that would ruin some of the fun.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

you're paying a lot of attention to whatever the everliving hell is going on with Shallan, and that's good

no amount of attention will be too great. tracking her story almost requires a conspiracy theory wall with yarn and names and pictures and dates

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

pik_d posted:

Oathbringer Chapters 88-113 & Interludes (Part 4)

Really though, the biggest and most important reveal in Part 4 was that the humans were the original Voidspren.

You finally got there! You were brushing right up against this one as early as WoK. In retrospect, it's quite obvious. As the Stormfather so aptly puts it, what on Roshar could've possibly made you think that humans were native to it? But we never questioned it, and neither did the characters, and... oops.

Also, since she's gone now and you've solved it and it was obvious anyway -- yes, Azure is Vivenna.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
lol “ethically sourced Shardplate” is an excellent phrase.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

All spoilers are Oathbringer end of Part 4

Grundulum posted:

You’re asking some interesting questions, and you certainly were looking for some of the same information I was when I read Oathbringer. I’m tempted to hint at what does/doesn’t get addressed in currently-published books, but that would ruin some of the fun.

Yeah the biggest :negative: for me right now Is I am quickly approaching things that may not be answered in the currently released books

Potato Salad posted:

you're paying a lot of attention to whatever the everliving hell is going on with Shallan, and that's good

no amount of attention will be too great. tracking her story almost requires a conspiracy theory wall with yarn and names and pictures and dates

Pepe Silva but instead of yarn it's just Pattern stretched out on the board and his tendrils are the lines.

CapnAndy posted:

You finally got there! You were brushing right up against this one as early as WoK. In retrospect, it's quite obvious. As the Stormfather so aptly puts it, what on Roshar could've possibly made you think that humans were native to it? But we never questioned it, and neither did the characters, and... oops.

Also, since she's gone now and you've solved it and it was obvious anyway -- yes, Azure is Vivenna.

I'm going to be honest, my thought process so far as the Cosmere is concerned was that "Shard shows up somewhere, spawns in humanity based on the species that was around before Adonalsium was shattered" which really handwaves away a lot of inconsistencies. It straight up didn't bother me.

Louisgod posted:

And accurate! Probably! Who knows given what other things have just been flipped on their heads.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Louisgod posted:

New thread title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Leng posted:

Dragonsteel Con keynote was livestreamed, with some pretty big news:

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qa8Xo9jYLg (announcements)
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sqATA1rkWo (the keynote, Q&A, Stormlight 5 reading)

Two big things that I'm excited about :
1. The Dragonsteel Bookstore is happening!
2. A revised White Sand Prose version is coming!

And a whole slew of other future book announcements re: Mistborn Era 3 and Elantris 2 and 3.

Can anyone summarize these?