Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

I would be 5250'd if I went to Las Vegas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lights out and a line of blow

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

rpop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsDgI6Ec3fQ

F1 looks pretty good on a mountain, they should hold a race in honor of Schumacher

schumo GP sponsored by hard rock cafe

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

FAUXTON posted:

schumo GP sponsored by hard rock cafe

Will their be headbanging?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Theophany posted:

Will there be headbanging?

pit exit on the racing line is guaranteed headbanging

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Formula and Loathing in Las Vegas

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Diet Crack posted:

Formula and Loathing in Las Vegas

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2023/11/inside-las-vegas-sphere-u2/676000/

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I just found out that the race this weekend starts at 1 AM for me. I live on the East Coast. WTF.

I guess I won't see live how much of a shitshow this is going to be.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

FAUXTON posted:

pit exit on the racing line is guaranteed headbanging

Watkins Glen does it just fine

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Amp posted:

Are you saying indycar and F1 are the same or just that a different racing org altogether can accomplish something different

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
I guess I'm a little surprised that 10c / 50f is cold enough to be a problem for the tires.

Not saying it won't be, just that with the forces and temperatures involved in car internals and F1 brakes/tires generally, I would assume the difference between say 50F and 70F ambient temp would be negligible. But I also know i'm an idiot.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Amp posted:

Glen's exit is further down the track, the racing line is about as far from it as is possible.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Everyone is on the left before it actually merges.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
https://twitter.com/fortnitegame/status/1724804841057529980

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I feel like drivers in vegas might even be looking off towards the next corner entry as they are passing the pit exit but maybe that's a little further down in something like F1

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Squinky v2.0 posted:

I guess I'm a little surprised that 10c / 50f is cold enough to be a problem for the tires.

Not saying it won't be, just that with the forces and temperatures involved in car internals and F1 brakes/tires generally, I would assume the difference between say 50F and 70F ambient temp would be negligible. But I also know i'm an idiot.
It won't be an issue and anyone who thinks otherwise is performatively doing so as clickbait.

The same tyres have been used in a winter test* at 5c air temp / 3c track temp and they worked. The only problem there was they weren't representative times because no one thought they'd ever repeat the conditions and the graining was unpredictable.
The race will take place at an ambient of 14-16c and a track temperature of 20c+ which is around the conditions you get at spa or hungary on a track after it's rained.

It's a complete non-story but expect any radio message mentioning tyre temps to get over-played and have crofty and bumble overhype just how hard it is to drive in 5c below optimal conditions!!

* - the actual compounds for this weekend are more conservative than in the test

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

blessed

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

all the pictures from vegas make it seems like the exact spectacle everyone assumed it would be... and somehow worse

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
as someone who constantly wants old school f1 to return i am very happy to see multiple disastrously run US street races on the calendar

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

There are no (track) limits

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

refleks posted:

all the pictures from vegas make it seems like the exact spectacle everyone assumed it would be... and somehow worse

That's pretty much just Vegas in a nutshell.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Squinky v2.0 posted:

the ground can hold much more heat energy than the air. anyone who has slept on the ground overnight understands this.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

ArmedZombie posted:

the ground can hold much more heat energy than the air. anyone who has slept on the ground overnight understands this.

I sleep in a big bed with my wife

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

ArmedZombie posted:

Tarmac=Not heat conductive, Tire rubber=Not heat conductive.

Most of the tire heat in a racing tire is generated from the friction movement of the surface rubber and internal tread rubber and resides inside the tread block it doesn't sit on the surface. Heat is much more likely to dissipate internally through the steel belt used as the base of the tire and the rim which is conductive, (this is why race tire pressures rise despite having no friction from heat generation). The reason F1 sucks so much is essentially because once the tire heats there is no effective way to cool it back down, if they could do this they would be getting drivers to move over to unused parts of the tarmac when the tires are cooked. I've driven my dinky rear end kart which doesn't have overheating brakes heating the tires in 0C with like 2 other people using the track and it was fine, Formula 1 isn't going to have any issues at these temperatures.

This is such a non story and its just being hyped to get the Netflix drama queen lovers to tune in to a dogshit race in a dogshit time slot because of the **DRAMAAAAA**, we're like two years out from Ross Brawn dangling some car keys infront of you mouth breathers to get you to tune into the Idaho potato growers Grand Prix of Coeur d'Alene

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Somebody is really upset that I'm calling them out lol

Furious George
Oct 3, 2002
Messing around with your kart and racing an F1 car at the limit are literally at complete opposite ends of the scale, and a temperature at that extreme end of the window in which the cars are designed to operate in will undoubtedly be a factor in how the weekend plays out in some form.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I mean... did you read my post?? I just said my kart made race tires work inspite of not going 300mph and not having overheating brakes fitted inside the rims which would heat the tire. F1 is going to be fine dude. you should try this thing called thinking, its amazing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

tony quidtana posted:

I mean... did you read my post?? I just said my kart made race tires work inspite of not going 300mph and not having overheating brakes fitted inside the rims which would heat the tire. F1 is going to be fine dude. you should try this thing called thinking, its amazing.

I have never thought and I ain't gonna start now

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

You don't have to Wicka your posts are already perfect. its everyone else that needs to up their game.

Kennedy
Aug 1, 2006

hard to breathe?

tony quidtana posted:

my kart ... F1

Virtually identical

Kennedy fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 15, 2023

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Everyone else please post their credentials for getting race tires to work at these temperatures and if there is someone with more comparable experience than I have then I will 100% defer to them. tia

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
maybe folks just expect some funny moments due to the teams themselves saying they're gonna be in uncharted territory wrt track evolution, it's not some scientific methodology conclusion being drawn about tires that needs to be destroyed with facts and logic

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

tony quidtana posted:

ahem this is the F1 thread, not the thinking thread

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

maybe folks just expect some funny moments due to the teams themselves saying they're gonna be in uncharted territory wrt track evolution, it's not some scientific methodology conclusion being drawn about tires that needs to be destroyed with facts and logic

I believe in track intelligent design

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

And on the seventh day, Hermann rested.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Really enjoying Horner being his usual ultra cunty self that has no shred of self awareness in this Brawn docuseries.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
"Yes, Ross Brawn achieved a lot of success, but you have to remember he is cutthroat and would sell his own grandmother to achieve success."

- a loving guy who shacked up with a spice girl whilst his wife was heavily pregnant

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Die in a fire you absolute Tory oval office.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

tony quidtana posted:

Tarmac=Not heat conductive,

lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Theophany posted:

"Yes, Ross Brawn achieved a lot of success, but you have to remember he is cutthroat and would sell his own grandmother to achieve success."

- a loving guy who shacked up with a spice girl whilst his wife was heavily pregnant

always projection.