Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Has he met Anthony Rendon yet? If he did he wouldn’t say that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Obviously Anthony Rendon isn't coming into the office during the offseason.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1724821182149492933

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

live with fruit posted:

According to Peter Singer, any money that anyone spends on their own wants is immoral.

wild week for Peter Singer to make an appearance here

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Rickie Weeks!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1724879703339606512

More faster

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean personally I'm ambivalent but this kinda seems like an intentional pre-emptive shot across the bow at the players, who'd been making some noise this season that they'd be pushing for the clock to be a little bit more lenient.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

zoux posted:

Obviously Anthony Rendon isn't coming into the office during the offseason.
Or during the season

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/GrantBrisbee/status/1724899520348336383?s=20

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

RIP Craig Kimbrel

I mean, even moreso

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ihatepants posted:

I'd assume this is in reference to the Yankees and how they have handled/disrespected players who are injury prone.

It's not those players' fault that Cashman is a dogshit GM. Imagine surviving for 10 years AFTER giving out that Elsbury contract.... It's actually quite impressive.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/SamBlum3/status/1724868527738556545

No thanks, my bank has a $50 fee on returned checks.

WALLET

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

drat, congrats on the unanimous Cy Gerrit.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

lol Kaitlin Butts

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I really thought Gerrit Cole had won the Cy before this year but apparently not.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really thought Gerrit Cole had won the Cy before this year but apparently not.

He arguably should have won it in 2019 but Verlander won it instead

if you go by bWAR Verlander deserved it over Cole but Mike Minor should have won it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ah but JV had a Signature Moment, an irresistible narrative to the baseball writers of america

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
big ups to Snellzilla on winning his second Cy Young and joining some of the greatest pitchers to ever play as an AL/NL winner. now for him to remember how to be good every year instead of just like, every fifth year or whatever

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

big ups to Snellzilla on winning his second Cy Young and joining some of the greatest pitchers to ever play as an AL/NL winner. now for him to remember how to be good every year instead of just like, every fifth year or whatever
It's incredibly bizarre. The only other players to do that are all in the HOF or will be at some point (Scherzer).

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

FlamingLiberal posted:

Arrieta dunked on him in 2015

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Snell is a five-and-fly guy, even having left Tampa Bay. No diminishing his ERA, but he had 180.0 innings over 32 starts this year. Cole had 209.0 over 33, almost averaging a whole extra inning per start compared to Snell. I wonder if his numbers would have held up if he pitched through the 6th with regularity.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1725164484824551643

RIP

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This is primarily out of spite

The deal in LV is worse than what they would get in Oakland

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The vile As, the most hated team in the AL West.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is primarily out of spite

The deal in LV is worse than what they would get in Oakland

It's part of a broader strategy by the owners to extort as much money as possible from city governments. They're sending Oakland to the guillotine as a warning to other cities: we're not just making idle threats, pay up or lose your team.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's part of a broader strategy by the owners to extort as much money as possible from city governments. They're sending Oakland to the guillotine as a warning to other cities: we're not just making idle threats, pay up or lose your team.
Yeah I think that has something to do with it, however, they are running out of options with LV now off the table

Like when the Marlins were trying to get a stadium built in the mid 2000s they threatened to move to San Antonio if they didn’t get a deal, but the team president has since admitted that it was an empty threat

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

EXCUSE ME, BUT I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW THAT ONURALP BITIM IS THE PAUL ZIPSER OF KORNEL DAVIDS

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Gonna be cool when the As set new records for low attendance and still turn a profit

Also a good reminder of billionaire solidarity that the vote was unanimous

Something about this feels like the most craven team relocation yet. Playing in SF and AAA stadiums for three years?

https://twitter.com/bnightengale/status/1725162786487980309

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 16, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I think that has something to do with it, however, they are running out of options with LV now off the table

Like when the Marlins were trying to get a stadium built in the mid 2000s they threatened to move to San Antonio if they didn’t get a deal, but the team president has since admitted that it was an empty threat

All the stadium deals that needed to get done are pretty much done now. That's why they're going to expand instead.

Edit:

The boogeymen were Vegas in the West and Montreal+Nashville in the East. Montreal and Nashville will get a team and somewhere in the Carolinas + possibly Vancouver will be the new boogeymen in 10 years when this whole cycle starts again.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I’m skeptical that they get a stadium in Montreal that would prompt expansion

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Hoping that something about this means they don't get revenue sharing until they actually play in their dumb Vegas ballpark

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How far is the drive from Oakland to NV?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

All the stadium deals that needed to get done are pretty much done now. That's why they're going to expand instead.

Edit:

The boogeymen were Vegas in the West and Montreal+Nashville in the East. Montreal and Nashville will get a team and somewhere in the Carolinas + possibly Vancouver will be the new boogeymen in 10 years when this whole cycle starts again.

Just as an example, the Brewers, whose stadium is all of 23 years old, are in the process of extorting a few hundred million from Milwaukee right now.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m skeptical that they get a stadium in Montreal that would prompt expansion

Bronfman or Peladeau would do it with enough incentives from both the province and the feds. I don't think MLB will want to go to both Nashville AND Charlotte, they need to keep one as the boogeyman.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If they want a team in Montreal they should forcibly reverse some relocations. Move the Nats back to Montreal, move the Twins back to DC, then expand in Minnesota.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

I will not rest until Major League Baseball has been returned to its true and natural home, Winnipeg.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

How far is the drive from Oakland to NV?

Just about eight hours if you gun it through some of the more desolate desert sections.

bawfuls posted:

Gonna be cool when the As set new records for low attendance and still turn a profit

Also a good reminder of billionaire solidarity that the vote was unanimous

Something about this feels like the most craven team relocation yet. Playing in SF and AAA stadiums for three years?

https://twitter.com/bnightengale/status/1725162786487980309

lmao that the A's couldn't relocate to San Jose because SF refused to cede an inch of their territorial rights (which were, naturally, originally ceded to them by the A's back in the day) but are now apparently going to let them bum off their stadium for three years while Nevada's tax dollars build the A's a stadium.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Eric the Mauve posted:

Just as an example, the Brewers, whose stadium is all of 23 years old, are in the process of extorting a few hundred million from Milwaukee right now.

Braves did the same thing with their 20-year old stadium and white-flighted off to Cobb County.

Cities need to take a lesson from San Diego and not let assholes like Dean Spanos pillage their city.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

San Diego did pony up like $400M for Petco though, which is part of the reason they told Spanos to shove it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sydin posted:

Just about eight hours if you gun it through some of the more desolate desert sections.

That's rough, I thought it was a lot closer. I have to drive 3 hours if I wanna go see my team at home and that's about as far as I'm willing to go.