Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

So we can say at this point that they just effectively bumped the price of the Pocket up to $250 since they're never making any more of the regular Pocket right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
These being limited seems lame even by Analogue standards

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Alan_Shore posted:

My Anbernic Arc is on its way! Very excited about this one!

Same, can’t wait for mine to arrive!

Oh, I do like that blue, but have no absolutely no need for one.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

This is just starting to come across as greedy at this point.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

otter posted:

This is just starting to come across as greedy at this point.

You mean how the price went up?

Because im happy to see more available for people who want one. I've still got my launch black one and I don't collect colors so it seems fine to me other than the price.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Matt Zerella posted:

Because im happy to see more available for people who want one.

They aren't. "Oh, it's sold out already", you say as you refresh the page two minutes after the sale starts.

Very limited sales where one person legit buys it for themselves, and five other purchases go for scalpers who'll put them up at double the price shortly after.

And this is by design. They are doing it on purpose.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah this isn't increased availability, it's just engineering a shortage through limited runs. Most of which are going to be bought by people who already have one. They could be just making more normal Pockets but now you can't even place an order for one and have it fulfilled when there's stock like you could before, functionally the regular Pocket is discontinued in favour of occasional runs of these more expensive limited models.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 15, 2023

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Saoshyant posted:

They aren't. "Oh, it's sold out already", you say as you refresh the page two minutes after the sale starts.

Very limited sales where one person legit buys it for themselves, and five other purchases go for scalpers who'll put them up at double the price shortly after.

And this is by design. They are doing it on purpose.

The red clear was available for like an hour after it went live last time.

Flippers will flip, there's nothing anyone can do about this but im glad to see more stock available and people to get another shot at one.

I still don't see how it's greedy on Analogues side? I also hate how it seems like im defending them here :lol:

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

It’s just that kind of psychologically exploitative FOMO marketing approach that a whole lot of companies use these days. LIMITED RUN BUY NOW every few months with a new variant, etc.

It’s not a uniquely lovely thing IMO, but it is a thing I’m just kind of tired of seeing all the time .

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Are people posting photos of their complete set of Pockets on Reddit like they did with all the Retroid colours yet?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Vegastar posted:

It’s just that kind of psychologically exploitative FOMO marketing approach that a whole lot of companies use these days. LIMITED RUN BUY NOW every few months with a new variant, etc.

It’s not a uniquely lovely thing IMO, but it is a thing I’m just kind of tired of seeing all the time .

Yeah now this I get and agree with but personally I've always seen AP's as limited run goods so I ignore the marketing.

njsykora posted:

Are people posting photos of their complete set of Pockets on Reddit like they did with all the Retroid colours yet?

Yes, of course they are and it's dumb as poo poo. Ive got a launch black AP and I love it but ive never seen any of these new runs and went "drat, I need another one". But hey, ya gotta CONSUME.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 15, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Trying to decide between a POWKIDDY RGB30 and the Retroid Pocket 2S. The 2S seems superior in every way, except for the really nice screen on the RGB30 (and its a bit cheaper).

If I could play PS2 and Dolphin games on the 2S reliably I'd probably lean that way, but it seems a lot of games require hacks to be playable (it's always hard to judge actual performance from impressions). So if I'd be mostly sticking to PS1 and below, the power advantage of the 2S wouldn't matter that much.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Capitalism sucks and also lol they chose a ton of vintage Gameboy colors but they color matched the controls AND ignored the best color, teal.

Stupid on all counts.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Trying to decide between a POWKIDDY RGB30 and the Retroid Pocket 2S. The 2S seems superior in every way, except for the really nice screen on the RGB30 (and its a bit cheaper).

If I could play PS2 and Dolphin games on the 2S reliably I'd probably lean that way, but it seems a lot of games require hacks to be playable (it's always hard to judge actual performance from impressions). So if I'd be mostly sticking to PS1 and below, the power advantage of the 2S wouldn't matter that much.

I'm pretty out of the loop, how does the 3/3+ compare to the others?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Rinkles posted:

Get the RGB30 if you care about big screenin SNES, GBs, Pico, or vertical arcade games. PSX and other 4:3s also look awesome and are the same size as the RP2S iirc. If overall finish and hall sticks matter to you, go for the RP2S.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

womb with a view posted:

I'm pretty out of the loop, how does the 3/3+ compare to the others?
2S is almost as fast as the 3+ and Flip (the chipset is a bit cut down but the 2S screen is much lower res so it nearly evens out), this is why the 2S is considered such a good value for the price.

The 2S/3+/Flip are all much more powerful than the 3, which is the same as the 2+.

It's confusing, yes, but it helps that the 3 and 2+ aren't sold anymore so right now they only sell 3 different handhelds (2S, 3+, Flip) of roughly equal power that differ in form factor.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 15, 2023

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

njsykora posted:

Yeah this isn't increased availability, it's just engineering a shortage through limited runs. Most of which are going to be bought by people who already have one. They could be just making more normal Pockets but now you can't even place an order for one and have it fulfilled when there's stock like you could before, functionally the regular Pocket is discontinued in favour of occasional runs of these more expensive limited models.

It's this.
All of these companies are manufacturing more "shortage" than they are product.
Not to mention the predatory add ons. gently caress Route, period point blank. Stop trying to sell me absolutely nothing for an add-on.
I get that there is a limited market for physical copies of some games these days. Not everyone is going to shell out $29 for a copy of Lil Gator Game, so Super Rare does a run and it's $40 and there are only 4,000 copies. Of course, I left it in my cart and now there's just the ~320 remaining copies of the steelbook edition for $60.
However, there is a HUGE market for a gameboy with a really nice screen that you can plug into the tv through hdmi. There's no reason to "super special edition" it to death except that they are catering to the bots and flippers. Argh, it pisses me off. I need to go mellow out for a minute.

that being said, I bought a clear red pocket and i already have my black original one. Im a sucker too. I would have loved to get the glow in the dark one instead, but yeah that was a fiasco 10 seconds after release.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rinkles posted:

You are correct, the advantages of the 2S over the RGB30 would only really come into play with systems like the Dreamcast and Saturn (and the select Gamecube and PS2 games that do run well enough for you), and features like the analog triggers would only factor into Dreamcast and Gamecube and even the nice hall effect analog sticks will not factor into most PS1 games.

otter posted:

However, there is a HUGE market for a gameboy with a really nice screen that you can plug into the tv through hdmi.
Well there is the Funny Playing GameBoy Color Kit which is an FPGA that does only Gameboy, but no HDMI out and it's already sold out so welp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cesh5OAL4uk

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 15, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

apparently retroid pockets have gyro controls. i've never heard that brought up before.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The idea of being able to use an FPGA board as the core of effectively a brand new Game Boy Colour is cooler than anything Analogue have done in a long time tbh.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rinkles posted:

apparently retroid pockets have gyro controls. i've never heard that brought up before.
Yeah since the 2+, I guess it comes into play with a small handful of Gameboy games like Tilt 'n Tumble and WarioWare Twisted if Retroarch supports it, otherwise it's pretty much for Android games since they take for granted that a phone has a gyro/accelerometer.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I picked up both of the evercade super pockets for my son and myself along with a couple of carts that had games I'm interested in. I think the 2.8" screen is pushing it for my old man eyes. It's a nice looking ips screen but it's just too damned small. Might have the wife get me an evercade exp for Christmas.

They are probably too small overall to play comfortably for long periods of time as well - although I murdered an hour playing Bubble Bobble with no complaints. Haven't tried anything with the shoulder buttons though.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I don't have a problem with Analogue releasing a bunch of limited colors, but at least have the regular colors readily available in some capacity to satisfy gamers who couldn't care less about a different color.

I picked up an Analogue Pocket Transparent Purple during the last wave and was a bit disappointed by its color, I think I like the Indigo or Silver more. The red one doesn't appear to match my GBA: SP's shade of red.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 15, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mem posted:

I picked up both of the evercade super pockets for my son and myself along with a couple of carts that had games I'm interested in. I think the 2.8" screen is pushing it for my old man eyes. It's a nice looking ips screen but it's just too damned small. Might have the wife get me an evercade exp for Christmas.

They are probably too small overall to play comfortably for long periods of time as well - although I murdered an hour playing Bubble Bobble with no complaints. Haven't tried anything with the shoulder buttons though.
a ton of these horizontal slab devices just do not appeal to me for that reason, the lack of comfort holding them. you have fingers hanging below the device, there's nothing to grip, just flat hard edges, bleh. that's why i've debated the 353PS at times because of the rounded edges and the slightly larger size, or the X55 for the grips and the switch-esque size, but i think ultimately I'll just wait and do Odin 2 at some point when it's a little less shipping constrained

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Excited for those set up boxes.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Corb3t posted:

I don't have a problem with Analogue releasing a bunch of limited colors, but at least have the regular colors readily available in some capacity to satisfy gamers who couldn't care less about a different color.

I picked up an Analogue Pocket Transparent Purple during the last wave and was a bit disappointed by its color, I think I like the Indigo or Silver more. The red one doesn't appear to match my GBA: SP's shade of red.

I almost feel like they have an adversarial view of their customers. It comes across like, "Yeah, we're going to see you this and you're going to buy it because you're a little bitch and we own you. Yeah, now tell me you like it!" I'm sure there are some people who are into that. Let analogue be your findom or whatever (I realized how much I don't miss twitter just now) As far as I can tell, Analogue has the last of my money they will be getting (2 pockets and a Duo).
I feel like I'd rather spend money on other things.
Now let me tell you what kind of a shitheap Polymega / Playmaji are...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I've said it in this thread before but if I could just go on Analogue's site and buy a thing, I'd probably have impulse bought multiple devices from them at this point. But it's always no, this thing we just launched isn't shipping for a year. Or no, this thing we launched 6 months ago is discontinued now.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

njsykora posted:

I've said it in this thread before but if I could just go on Analogue's site and buy a thing, I'd probably have impulse bought multiple devices from them at this point. But it's always no, this thing we just launched isn't shipping for a year. Or no, this thing we launched 6 months ago is discontinued now.

Yeah, this is kind of how I feel about them. I've thought several times about buying a Pocket, but the combination of price point plus not being able to actually just buy one and get it within a reasonable timeframe is too much for me to bite the bullet.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

The_White_Crane posted:

Yeah, this is kind of how I feel about them. I've thought several times about buying a Pocket, but the combination of price point plus not being able to actually just buy one and get it within a reasonable timeframe is too much for me to bite the bullet.

This is why we should just all buy our devices from Marcus.
Always fair prices, always delivers timely.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

lol, on a retroid (or maybe other devces too) you can apparently output the second screen of a DS game via hdmi?

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
If you were going to give a retro gaming handheld to a teen with basically 0 computer knowledge, do you all think the linux or Andorid systems are easier to navigate?

I've got a spare Rg351v and a spare retroid pocket 2+ and I'm thinking about giving one to my neice who vaguely likes video games but is not very computer savvy. I'd obviously pre-setup everything.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Linux, 100%. No home screen, no app store, you turn it on and the very first thing you see is a nice, big select screen of systems. You hit the a button once, you get a list of games. You hit the a button again, you're playing. No loving around

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

You can do that in android too. Just setup Dig and set Dig as the default launcher.

My plans of putting together some ultra boutique gaming consoles for the holidays got dashed because the raspberry pi 5 boards are out of stock. I might do it as a new years thing. Hand painted cases, customized interface, curated rom selection. Like a mix tape.

coconono fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 16, 2023

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

flavor.flv posted:

Linux, 100%. No home screen, no app store, you turn it on and the very first thing you see is a nice, big select screen of systems. You hit the a button once, you get a list of games. You hit the a button again, you're playing. No loving around

That was my thought initial thought, but then I was thinking the android systems would be more "phone-like". so I thought I'd look for opinions.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The EmulationStation based setups are definitely easier for a neophyte to use, yeah, especially if you're using one of the setups that's done by teams of people who really put things together nicely (Amber, Jelos, etc)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Substandard posted:

That was my thought initial thought, but then I was thinking the android systems would be more "phone-like". so I thought I'd look for opinions.
The android systems are phone like because they're running a nearly stock older version of android, but that only helps you if you're trying to do phone things (well you can't make calls) or play android games I guess. If you're trying to play emulated games then you're running a launcher interface that then launches an emulator that loads the game, and you're in it until you quit the emulator, etc. If you've done that sort of thing on a windows PC its very similar. You're doing all this stuff on top of a phone OS, and you can make it pretty slick, but it's not a device dedicated to playing emulated games, there's always a whole OS made for doing other stuff underneath.

When we talk about Linux in here we don't mean using a command line or running a window manager, we mean a stripped down to the basics OS that runs an Emulation Station front end for emulators and nothing else, it's very much a device dedicated to doing this one thing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Went with a Pocket 2S. Had trouble choosing between it and the RGB30 till the end. No idea if I made the right decision.

Went clear black. Might've gone with green if the button colors were different. Wanted Indigo, but apparently the white of the sticks rubs off.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I’d go with android just because of the better sleep performance. I’d imagine kids are more used to phones/tablets where you just sit them down and walk away instead of shutting them down. I could see that running the battery out on Linux might cause file system corruption while on android I’m going to assume the OS is going to do an automatic shutdown.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The_White_Crane posted:

Agreed. I signed up for alerts so I could get one when they restock but I want to just buy a regular one, not fight the botting crowd to buy one of a hundred limited edition copies. I’m over the product drop events that got so popular in the last few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Rolo posted:

lol they chose a ton of vintage Gameboy colors but they color matched the controls

this is the thing that fucks me the most, they might have finally gotten my two fifty instead of me continuing to wait patiently for the miyoo flip, but no, they made the loving buttons and d-pad silver instead of black so it doesn't actually look like my childhood gameboy pocket, get the gently caress outta here