Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I do think the biggest problem is that Feige is spread too thin, and the other people running projects are clearly not up to it. Look to Secret Invasion to see how well delegating a project worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Soonmot posted:

But the biggest thing was, as has been said, the way the teases in phase 1/2/3 led right into the next movie instead of being something set up for who knows when.
This is a much bigger problem than people realize, I reckon. The only far-off stinger in Phases 1 and 2 was Thanos in Avengers.

We need "Next time on Starrrrr Trek, The Next Generation," not "five years from now, in some movie we haven't even announced yet!"

CatstropheWaitress posted:

So long as they give it time. Like 4-5 years at least.

Does this not count
It's already been five years, but yeah. I think it needs to take a while so we can live with this as Loki's end for a while yet.

He's 1000% coming back in Secret War. They all are. We all are. We've all been cast already. Pretty sure I'm playing Frightened Trans Woman in the first act.

Though that'll just be Frightened Man #6 in the international markets.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 15, 2023

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

This is a much bigger problem than people realize, I reckon. The only far-off stinger in Phases 1 and 2 was Thanos in Avengers.

And even then, Thanos is in Guardians of the Galaxy, which was two years after The Avengers. His biggest gap was between Age of Ultron and Infinity War and that was three years. Shang-Chi and Eternals were both two years ago and there's no sign that they're going to reappear any time soon.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 15, 2023

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Nybble posted:

It’s probably an impossible question to answer, but how much did the strikes affect the marketing and outreach of the movie? Iman Vellani not being able to get out there and exude joy about the movie probably didn’t help sales.

It would have had an impact. But it wouldn't have doubled sales and doubling The Marvels box office numbers still has it as a massive failure.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Ms marvel isn't very recognizable from a public standpoint especially if you aren't a Disney plus subscriber. Spectrum might as well not exist. Trailers don't show anything exciting and have a villain no one knows what the deal is. Basically they did a really piss poor job of setting this up as a theatrical release

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Soonmot posted:

I feel it was also easier to build stories around the macguffins of the infinity stones than Kang or the multiverse. But the biggest thing was, as has been said, the way the teases in phase 1/2/3 led right into the next movie instead of being something set up for who knows when.

Anyways, I finished MCU: The Reign of Marvel Studios, and it was like the universe wanted the MCU dead after Endgame. I should have written this while it was fresh in my mind, because now I'm forgetting things. You had (not in chronological order, just as I remember them):

1) Gunn getting fired. The right wing concern trolling completely derailed not just plans for cosmic marvel, but Gunn was getting set up to take the lead on phase 4. This was perlmutter and his cronies doing their own thing so that when feige was able to get disney to hire gunn back, the damage had already been done, especially since WB swooped in to give gunn whatever he wanted.

2) Chadwick Boseman dying. Black Panther was going to be the face of the MCU phase 4+ like Iron Man was for the first chunk. That's speculation on my part, not from the book, but it did seem like the films were going in that direction.

3) Covid. Obviously this hosed everything up and we're still feeling the effects today, not just with filming, but with movie attendance. Personally, I've gone to thirteen movies this year, which seems like a lot, but is about half of what I usually do.

4) Push for streaming. This is a big one because, for the most part, Marvel was running these shows like they were long movies instead of actual shows. You cannot have a four hour movie you chop into eight chunks and call it a day. The flow and rhythm of a good show is different than a film. It also put so much more pressure on the already overworked sfx houses. No one can say that the visuals in these recent movies and shows aren't worse than the early films.

5) Feige getting promoted. Seems like a good thing with how he sheparded the Infinity Saga to completion, but what it really did was made it so he didn't have the time to make sure the films were shaping up how they should. Combined with the push for streaming and how accelerated the new phases were initially planned that led to an overall quality dip.

Any one of these is an obstacle that could have derailed things, all of them together and I'm amazed that Secret Invasion was the only outright trashpile they shat out this phase. Yes, I like Quantumania and Love and Thunder.

I haven’t read the book yet but I wanted to add something that also contributed to this mess:

When Chapek took over in 2020 he created a new vertical inside Disney that put all the movie studios and TV under the supervision of his buddy Kareem Daniel, so while Feige did get a promotion he was also not in direct control over every aspect of Marvel programming. The Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution business unit got a LOT of say over what got greenlit and where projects would end up (many projects ended up on Disney+ and as a result kneecapped their income potential).

Now this DMED was dismantled when Iger came back last year, but basically everything that’s been released this year was fostered under this Daniel regime.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

they spent a lot of time setting up Female Wars and looks like they have no idea what to do with it.
with Elaine, other secret service lady, Shang Chi's sister, captain america blonde lady, echo, ironheart

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I started reading a lot of older Marvel comics via their subscription service, and really started to understand that the “spin off stories in 100 directions, tie them together when it makes sense” idea works fine in comics because they are quickly turned around and have predictable scheduling. It is almost impossible in live action movies and TV, especially at the current budgets and mismanagement between all the different internal studios. If they trimmed down the cost per episode, and possibly did more animated shows, then maybe they could keep broadening the scope for many different characters.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
What If? Season 2 trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiEVqZ2Bc_c

Dropping one a day starting December 22nd.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
edit: T'Chaka is not T'Challa, misread the subtitles on the video

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Was that the actual Jeff Goldblum? :allears:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rappaport posted:

Was that the actual Jeff Goldblum? :allears:

Yeah, he showed up for a couple lines in the first season during the Party Thor episode.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Teek posted:

Trying to figure out who that not-Scott Lang Ant-Man is. Is it supposed to be Eric O'Grady?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Arist posted:

Trying to figure out who that not-Scott Lang Ant-Man is. Is it supposed to be Eric O'Grady?

By the voice I'd say young Hank Pym

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I was confused for a bit if I was supposed to know who the brown-haired woman was until realizing it was Annette Bening's Mar Vell

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I thought for a second we saw Mobius but I think it's Howard Stark.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
What If... Howard Stark rode a jet ski

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I wouldn't mind if they just made "What If...?" all about the Captain Carter reality, which I assume this 80s Avengers story exists in.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

live with fruit posted:

I wouldn't mind if they just made "What If...?" all about the Captain Carter reality, which I assume this 80s Avengers story exists in.

With Bucky as the Winter Soldier there, I doubt it's connected.

According to the leaked episode list, the 80s Avengers takes place in a world where Yondu delivered Peter to Ego.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gavok posted:

According to the leaked episode list, the 80s Avengers takes place in a world where Yondu delivered Peter to Ego.

Definitely sounds like an Avengers-level threat.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Poster

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I appreciate Marvel generating Holiday content every year. So far we have Hawkeye, Guardians Christmas Special, and now it looks like at least an episode of What If?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

What If… You Got That Bike For Christmas When You Were 12?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Is that Justin Hammer with the Iron Man socks? Because if anyone is perfect to play the villain in an Avengers Christmas story it's Justin Hammer.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

The_Doctor posted:

What If… You Got That Super Nintendo For Christmas When You Were 12?

Fixed this for me and now I feel empty

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

What if ... everyone agreed Die Hard was a Christmas Movie?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Pedro angling to cement that Disney Legend status:

https://deadline.com/2023/11/pedro-pascal-reed-richards-marvel-studios-fantastic-four-1235599560/

I think I’m more interested in who Doom is, since it seems like he will be carrying much of the load from here on out. Also seems like the perfect person to tease in a Deadpool 3 end credits with its rumored storyline.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Pixeltendo posted:

What if ... everyone agreed Die Hard was a Christmas Movie?

You mean there are people who disagree? :toughguy:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Teek posted:

There's a Native American woman there near the end, is that an alternate Echo?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

My first thought was Dani Moonstar, but that just might be showing how long it is since I've actually read any comics, back when the only two Native American characters I can think of were her and..... Warpath.... :cripes:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I believe she’s an original character, involving the tesseract or something?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think Mirage is also Native American but I know very little about her

I'm glad Superior Strange or whatever people call him is back for this

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think Mirage is also Native American but I know very little about her

Mirage is Dani Moonstar.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Teek posted:

I believe she’s an original character, involving the tesseract or something?

Yeah IIRC it's the Tesseract landing in America pre-colonization and she's a newly created character for this episode

I'm pretty interested in it since it sounded like they put a lot of work into it compared to some of the other ones

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

ScreenRant says she's Kahhori, a new character for the MCU from the Mohawk people

Yes, they did get actual Mohawk people to consult on that episode, thank God.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Technowolf posted:

ScreenRant says she's Kahhori, a new character for the MCU from the Mohawk people

Yes, they did get actual Mohawk people to consult on that episode, thank God.
Oh interesting. Seems like she will end up teaming up with other variant characters like they did with last season and Captain Carter/T'Challa Star Lord/Supreme Strange, etc

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh interesting. Seems like she will end up teaming up with other variant characters like they did with last season and Captain Carter/T'Challa Star Lord/Supreme Strange, etc

Presumably she's in the Marvel 1602 episode.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jerusalem posted:

My first thought was Dani Moonstar, but that just might be showing how long it is since I've actually read any comics, back when the only two Native American characters I can think of were her and..... Warpath.... :cripes:

Forge is Cheyenne and predates both of them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh I completely forgot about Forge. What was his mutant power? He could... make anything? Which, I never quite understood that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Oh I completely forgot about Forge. What was his mutant power? He could... make anything? Which, I never quite understood that.

Forge's deal is that he's an intensely spiritual person (I think the term 'shaman' is used) given powers over technology. This is a mostly forgotten detail in modern comics, but there was an idea at the beginning.