Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Nu-Sombra feels even lamer to play against than original one for me. Essentially means you have to babysit your team the entire game because if any 200hp character is alone, they're probably just going to die. It's boring af and needs more interesting counterplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
This new hog… is slightly overturned. He’s indestructible with some wild dps.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Opioid posted:

I've not played him but I've played with and against him in Quickplay and he seems... pretty much like he was before. I had someone say "The new Hog is unkillable" but that was a game where me and the Mercy were pumping heals into him and they didn't have an Ana. Pigpen seems inconsequential and easy to escape, IMO it should have a HINDERED affect attached to it.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I've only read the update and haven't played in a while, but it seems like the biggest buff for hog is being able to pause his heal and restart it after anti wears off. Ana won't just put him down. He can start healing and mitigating as soon as anti wears off or he wakes up.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Opioid posted:

Most of the streamers I watched said he's still not very good. He can get focused down very quickly and Ana will still gently caress him up.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
I must have just gotten bad luck with matchups, or regularly against premades in QP. Even when I tried to go Ana they immediately swapped to Kiriko for cleanse to keep him up. Was only with a QP team all working together and focus firing hog we could even kill him in the 4 matches I played (was always vs a hog).

Asking a QP team to coordinate is quite the ask.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

hog can essentially choose when to have a 30% damage reduction, so I think that is something in his favor

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Opioid posted:

I must have just gotten bad luck with matchups, or regularly against premades in QP. Even when I tried to go Ana they immediately swapped to Kiriko for cleanse to keep him up.

This is my problem in every match against every tank, and not just hog. Just love it that one character has a "press button to negate ultimate" ability. I have to constantly be second guessing when she has Suzu up before doing anything.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This is my problem in every match against every tank, and not just hog. Just love it that one character has a "press button to negate ultimate" ability. I have to constantly be second guessing when she has Suzu up before doing anything.

Well, Sombra too, but yeah.

I'm personally of the opinion that abilities that negate other abilities are bad design. Always feel terrible to have your big moment that takes several minutes of build-up totally invalidated.

In that same vein, every time my Ana ult gets canceled in the .5 seconds it takes for the animation to complete it reminds me how that should not even be a thing.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 15, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

In that same vein, every time my Ana ult gets canceled in the .5 seconds it takes for the animation to complete it reminds me how that should not even be a thing.

Or they die before the ult hits them, but it still uses your ult. :smith:

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

I'm personally of the opinion that abilities that negate other abilities are bad design. Always feel terrible to have your big moment that takes several minutes of build-up totally invalidated.

Isn't that half of what makes the game? Ebb and flow of cooldowns to make cool plays? :confused:

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

PantsBandit posted:

Well, Sombra too, but yeah.

Zet posted:

Isn't that half of what makes the game? Ebb and flow of cooldowns to make cool plays? :confused:

Yeah, almost every ult in the game can be cancelled, interrupted, and or prevented. That is 100% part of the game, and understanding when its okay to use that ability, is called game sense. Its like knowing you shouldn't be near a ledge when you are fighting a someone who has a knockback. Or baiting the kiri cleanse before using anti when it matters.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Zet posted:

I'd rather see an ability get answered in an interesting way than straight up canceled.

That way the ulting player gets the feel goods of seeing their ult go off, with the understanding that they got answered by another ability or combo of abilities. That's way more interesting than "I'm not allowed to use my ability until I know this other one that hard-counters it is on cooldown."

Ults that can be canceled by killing the user or eating the projectile are ok in theory, with Ana specifically the window to kill her is so tiny it doesn't seem feasible to react to it. So I'd rather it just not be canceled, or have a more meaningful window to do so.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 15, 2023

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Nu Hog is pretty fun to play as, but when you step back and examine Blizzard's stated goals with his rework, I'm not sure this is the right direction. I thought getting hooked and dying was what the community hated and resulted in Hog being neutered, and I'm not really seeing how that's changed with the rework.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
He’s still overall feeling underpowered, people are a lot better at the game now than they were a year ago, and he still does not one shot with his hook without extra damage source or moving up even closer before shooting. All the buffs in the hotfix are just increasing his survivabilty and staying power, so like Sigma, even if the combo doesn’t kill it’s just an extra well placed left click or two away, and apparently that’s enough to keep people happy.

For now.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Agree with him being undertuned still, though he is way more fun to play. His shotgun is very satisfying to use, but he's still super easy to counter. I don't know what they can even do short of changing Ana's nade. I'll play him in QP, but not in ranked. Orisa is still the go to.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Live At Five! posted:

Agree with him being undertuned still, though he is way more fun to play. His shotgun is very satisfying to use, but he's still super easy to counter. I don't know what they can even do short of changing Ana's nade. I'll play him in QP, but not in ranked. Orisa is still the go to.

Making his huff a cleanse but only if he has control of his character, so sleep and hammer down would keep him from huffing.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I feel like no amount of changes they could make to hog would shift how good or poor he is, because the game right now is too contingent upon completely batshit OP support abilities like Nade, Suzu, and IF. Playing hog into ana with no kiri is a death sentence in most games.

They would have to balance the hero on having his own answer to the nade, and I don't think they would ever do that.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

BabyRyoga posted:

I feel like no amount of changes they could make to hog would shift how good or poor he is, because the game right now is too contingent upon completely batshit OP support abilities like Nade, Suzu, and IF. Playing hog into ana with no kiri is a death sentence in most games.

They would have to balance the hero on having his own answer to the nade, and I don't think they would ever do that.

So what you're saying is... Kiriko rework 2024.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Honestly just make nade last half as long against tanks, they already get role specific resistance to sleep dart and knockbacks

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Honestly just make nade last half as long against tanks, they already get role specific resistance to sleep dart and knockbacks

Might help, but the suzu and lamp are probably a bigger problem than the nade.

Let's say you are playing Hog, and you want to play well as Hog on role of tank. It's a reasonable expectation that you play around the abilities of the enemy team to some extent. It's a much less reasonable expectation for you to play around the abilities of your own team in the way that the game needs you to with suzu, lamp, and nade all in mind.

It goes to follow the same logic that makes hivemind characters like Lifeweaver problematic by design in a game like this, namely, the game is too team-oriented for certain heroes to thrive in the most optimal sense, especially for a shooter.

It would be appropriate for an MMO, maybe a moba to some less extent, but NOT a shooter.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 19, 2023

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

BabyRyoga posted:

Make his scrapgun able to bust nade before it reaches him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hog just doesnt really work when he has to be the only tank

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

socialsecurity posted:

Make his scrapgun able to bust nade before it reaches him.
Anti-nade is only good mid-fight now, it just doesn't last long enough to be used as an engagement tool, if it ever did. Plus Take a Breather's damage reduction still applies even when naded, so you have to use it as an assist tool during tank duels if you're targeting Hog. Which of course opens you up for Sombra to pop out of loving nowhere and kill you.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I've never been more upset than logging in and finding out my name changed to Player. Apparently Gepetophile got enough reports to get name changed. Hopefully Lemonprty last longer.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Had an interesting set of three comp matches earlier tonight: First, one of our supports threatened to report me since I was trying to flank the enemy as D.Va since the rest of my team was uselessly plinking away at the enemy tank while both of their supports were comfortably healing them. Apparently, trying to put pressure on their back line isn't tanking the right way. Lol ok. It ended in a third round with me having double digit kills and single digit deaths so I'm pretty sure I did something right.

Second match was a push map where we faced a Soldier 76 that I'm pretty sure was cheating. They were reaching places in the map that seemed suspicious,, saying "Msg 4 carry" in the chat, had an accomplice Mercy with them, and went 37-2 when no one else in the match was even close to those stats. Fun.

Third match was also a push map and had the enemy tank disconnecting and reconnecting half a dozen times. Despite this, we just barely eeked out a win in overtime because my team played like they have never dealt with a Junkrat or a Mei in their entire lives.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Anti as-is made more sense in a 6v6 world with more barriers to block the nade, but ever since the OW2 alpha I've been saying nade is too strong with 1 tank and few barriers.

I wouldn't mind seeing anti go to a 50% penalty instead of a full block, although that probably means JQ will also have to eat that nerf to keep the effect consistent (lol, consistency in overwatch? naaah). Or make it so tanks only get the 50% penalty and everyone else gets 100% :getin:

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 28, 2023

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

While you're at it, make the nade one-shot genji.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

novaSphere posted:

Anti as-is made more sense in a 6v6 world with more barriers to block the nade, but ever since the OW2 alpha I've been saying nade is too strong with 1 tank and few barriers.

I wouldn't mind seeing anti go to a 50% penalty instead of a full block, although that probably means JQ will also have to eat that nerf to keep the effect consistent (lol, consistency in overwatch? naaah). Or make it so tanks only get the 50% penalty and everyone else gets 100% :getin:

Anti is countered by a ton of abilities, and it is one of the main reason's not to pick a boring healbot character. If anything I think other parts of ana's kit should be nerfed if her pick rate is too high.

Let's stop the trend toward taking utility out of the game in favor of raw heal/damage numbers. Utility abilities are what make OW fun. I miss the stuns. Mcree should absolutely have his stun.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Zenyatta
  • Orb of Discord now instantly kills Genji upon application.

headcase posted:

Anti is countered by a ton of abilities, and it is one of the main reason's not to pick a boring healbot character. If anything I think other parts of ana's kit should be nerfed if her pick rate is too high.

Let's stop the trend toward taking utility out of the game in favor of raw heal/damage numbers. Utility abilities are what make OW fun. I miss the stuns. Mcree should absolutely have his stun.

The main reason not to pick a healbot right now is because taking an active role in fights, e.g. dealing damage and securing picks on the enemy team, is far and away superior to just healing your team.

IMO the only healbot characters in the game are Mercy and Lifeweaver, the latter I don't find boring at all, though I also agree he should have been taken in a different direction than just buffing raw healing. My top LW medal or whatever you call it in Progression is Elims :shobon:

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 28, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Give antinade a self-knockback so Ana can toss it at her feet and boop herself out of danger or off cliffs

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Give antinade a self-knockback so Ana can toss it at her feet and boop herself out of danger or off cliffs

combine Ana and Ashe into a single hero

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

novaSphere posted:

combine Ana and Ashe into a single hero

Bob but rapid-firing healing darts? I like it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

lol they've revealed the new Orisa mythic skin and it's...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U8ltJBLCeQ

...basically just recolours of her existing bug legendary. :toot:

EDIT: next season is "call of the hunt" so expect a bunch of "primal" or "hunter" themed skins I guess.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Cowa-unga-bunga skins for your unga-bunga spending habits

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's just getting funny at this point.
They clearly don't give a singular poo poo at this point.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

My favorite is from today's shop refresh; there's a "Volcanic" Genji skin that's a magma-themed recolor of Ice Wraith and the shurikens even still look like snowflakes :effort:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

novaSphere posted:

My favorite is from today's shop refresh; there's a "Volcanic" Genji skin that's a magma-themed recolor of Ice Wraith and the shurikens even still look like snowflakes :effort:

Eh, this I don't mind. When do you even see the shurikens?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Eh, this I don't mind. When do you even see the shurikens?

All the time when you're holding them and not shooting, Iirc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

All the time when you're holding them and not shooting, Iirc?

my bad, for some reason I thought they were half hidden in his knuckles, but that's the reload animation. I don't play genji except when he turns up in Mystery Heroes