Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

My wifes manager sold his house in Washington state and moved to Buffalo and then Amazon changed their mind about RTO. So far he still has a job.

lol America is a very large poor country with a smaller rich parasitic country bolted on, and if you ever sell your way out of that smaller rich country it's very hard to buy your way back in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

also this sounds like bullshit, fits their "everyone is going back to the office now!" narrative and 10% of the entire market would be a truly immense number of workers

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.post-gazette.com/business/development/2023/11/15/mcdonalds-huntington-bank-downtown-pittsburgh-zoning-board/stories/202311150051

Real estate speculator here has been buying up properties occupied by stuff like McDonald's downtown so he can evict them by raising the rent on renewal and getting higher $$$$ tenants (mostly banks). He's pissed off now that the city demanded a zoning variance for the bank instead of just letting him take the rent that is rightfully his.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

also this sounds like bullshit, fits their "everyone is going back to the office now!" narrative and 10% of the entire market would be a truly immense number of workers

yeah, that is a massive number I find it hard to believe

is anyone in this thread fighting with their company about remote work? it seems like they strongly encourage you to come in and if you don't, you will be first to get laid off.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

https://www.post-gazette.com/business/development/2023/11/15/mcdonalds-huntington-bank-downtown-pittsburgh-zoning-board/stories/202311150051

Real estate speculator here has been buying up properties occupied by stuff like McDonald's downtown so he can evict them by raising the rent on renewal and getting higher $$$$ tenants (mostly banks). He's pissed off now that the city demanded a zoning variance for the bank instead of just letting him take the rent that is rightfully his.

that motherfuckers name is nick nicholas

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

loving knew this was going to happen the moment the labor market tightened even a little bit. Commercial real estate number is down and we can’t have that.

Hasn’t happened to my family yet (knock on wood), but that percentage is sure making me anxious.

Never trust your employer’s word on anything.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

err posted:

is anyone in this thread fighting with their company about remote work? it seems like they strongly encourage you to come in and if you don't, you will be first to get laid off.

They tried to include me in the RTO initiative but I was hired on as fully remote and am states away so it was easily fought. I also basically control a process that's not easily replaceable.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Schmeichy posted:

They tried to include me in the RTO initiative but I was hired on as fully remote and am states away so it was easily fought. I also basically control a process that's not easily replaceable.

congratulations on the enormous bus factor, lovely work environment, and no raises/promotions (this doesn’t happen anyways)!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
one of the perks of returning to the office is getting to spend time at local businesses (bank chains)

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
A Google employee told me number of badge swipes are directly tied to performance reviews now so that’s a thing. I’ve heard it’s informal at other companies but this is something else.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Nonsense posted:

Mohamed looks like Gary from Howard Stern

Howard Stern's penis Persian

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
:getin:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

err posted:

I have 0 work from home days per week.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

err posted:

my employer tried to call me back in but i have a 'reasonable accommodation' for full time wfh. if they ever mess with it i'll just let them fire me because i moved 2 hours away from the office and i'm never going back

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
luckily corp ran out of office space (even after buying an entire street) and was happy to let the computer janitors work from home forever

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

shazbot posted:

luckily corp ran out of office space (even after buying an entire street) and was happy to let the computer janitors work from home forever

lol the Google employee who told me that said they have hotel desks because there aren’t enough desks for employees so don’t think that stops them from requiring RTO

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

FlapYoJacks posted:

congratulations on the enormous bus factor, lovely work environment, and no raises/promotions (this doesn’t happen anyways)!

I got a (small tbf) promotion this year and am training someone on the process now. The reduction in job security will be worth the ability to get hit by a bus (or disappear into the woods which is more likely)

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Schmeichy posted:

I also basically control a process that's not easily replaceable.

Schmeichy posted:

I am training someone on the process now.

lol, lmao

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

err posted:

I work in a very technical field but not 'tech' (industrial equipment and project management) in a non-technical role.

My company has been completely onboard for remote work and I've had zero pushback on it from C-suite down.

e. if you're a tech worker laid off/looking for something else I would pretty strongly recommend industrial controls. please. work somewhere so I have someone under the age of 60 to talk to about anything.

Penisaurus Sex has issued a correction as of 22:25 on Nov 15, 2023

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Glumwheels posted:

A Google employee told me number of badge swipes are directly tied to performance reviews now so that’s a thing. I’ve heard it’s informal at other companies but this is something else.

I have a friend who works there and apparently lines of code is a metric they're using for performance reviews. They must really be hard up for reasons to lay people off

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

:negative:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Glumwheels posted:

I know folks with on-site jobs where they count the number of badge swipes and auto-fire people who don't come up with enough of them. Companies are really getting desperate to kill remote work.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I work in tech for a bank and they are def counting badge swipes per week as part of employee reviews.

We also don’t have enough desks for everyone so teams have to schedule around each other for which 3 days they come into the office.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

err posted:

my company basically said anyone that was in the office before covid needs to return. it sounds like for anyone that moved they may be able to convert to full time WFH.

we used to have the whole floor of an office building, but they sublease half of it out to another company now.

most of the people I work with are in other offices or are WFH. even if I’m working with the guy in the next cube it’s probably in a Teams call with remote coworkers. there is zero magical in person synergy in my role.

they only want me in two days a week, and they don’t even care for how long. I can come in for an hour and then finish the day from home. upper management is just counting badge swipes and as long as number goes up they’ll be happy

number must always go up

Apr 7, 2003

I'm never working in an office again, employers can blow me

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

err posted:

my biotech job sold their HQ and have a new, smaller HQ with about 1/3rd the employees "assigned" there 3x/wk, the other 2/3rds are either 1x/wk or fully remote and have to hotel/hotdesk if they come in

also german privacy laws forced them to disclose that they are collecting badge swipe info and also forced them to anonymize/aggregate it through the german worker's council before mgmt. is allowed to see the data

we have retention issues due to a toxic working culture so in general the communication has been "smol bean pwease don't leave" stuff

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

I'm never working in an office again, employers can blow me

same, my current company is fully remote, but I'll want an actual raise at some point and anywhere that wants me in an office can get hosed

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol they're closing our office but this director is so horny for RTO that now we're going to be alternating days in-person in order to share cubes in another nearby office, there's a schedule and everything

ofc there's like two weirdos who come in every day and now won't be able to do that

my pm told me he already expects the office to be way emptier than management seems to think. currently we all come in midweek and lotsa people skip the required in-person days that aren't wednesday. should be fun to see

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

err posted:

I make a point to badge in every day but I’ve been hybrid since 2021 and I’m staying hybrid until they threaten to fire me. I just open the door to my office, turn on the light, and go sign in from home unless I have specific in person meetings with someone above me in the food chain.

This seems like a fairly common approach across my company outside of the wierdos that love working in the office.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

RealityWarCriminal posted:

one of the perks of returning to the office working from home is getting to spend time at local businesses (bank chains) home

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

My favorite part of working in the office is all the places I can spend $25 to have lunch

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Just leave your hat on the desk.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I love how much RTO is exposing what an oligarchy this society is. Corporate landlords are losing money on their investment, which past performance has guaranteed future results, so everyone must work inefficiently on purpose just to satisfy them, and the President all the way on down to the local mayor says this is how it has to be.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

when my ex-wife was in medical school their admin tried several different methods to force students to physically come to lectures and all it resulted in was cliques of students forming to coordinate with each other which lecture everyone was going to show up and click in for everyone else

it was all very business-brainworms poo poo since a medical student who isn’t keeping up with material will get annihilated by the grueling test schedule, absolutely zero bullshit metrics needed

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

skooma512 posted:

I love how much RTO is exposing what an oligarchy this society is. Corporate landlords are losing money on their investment, which past performance has guaranteed future results, so everyone must work inefficiently on purpose just to satisfy them, and the President all the way on down to the local mayor says this is how it has to be.

I find it especially fascinating since one of the primary purposes of a business is to externalize as many costs as humanly possible, and remote work is a great way to do that.

But I guess that's not really a consideration when it might interfere with the owners' other grifts.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Or the owner's desire to lord over other people.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Kreeblah posted:

I find it especially fascinating since one of the primary purposes of a business is to externalize as many costs as humanly possible, and remote work is a great way to do that.

But I guess that's not really a consideration when it might interfere with the owners' other grifts.

Some very large corporates / businesses are still all in on it for exactly those reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
As someone who’s worked in restaurants and retail, I have no sympathy or empathy for workers being told to go back to an office. However I do miss the traffic during early Covid so I’m a supporter of wfh.