Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

zoux posted:

No they would invade us and kill thousands and thousands of us like they did in the 1860s.

One can only hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

zoux posted:

No they would invade us and kill thousands and thousands of us like they did in the 1860s.

“Us” like anyone in here is joining up to fight for the rebellion. No thanks.

My ancestors who did it were dumb, too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If Texas secedes (we won't, it won't ever even have a hearing) then I'm leaving.

DuckHuntDog posted:

“Us” like anyone in here is joining up to fight for the rebellion. No thanks.

My ancestors who did it were dumb, too.

Lots of non combatants die in war

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'd immediately go underground with the rest of the red guards

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

zoux posted:

If Texas secedes (we won't, it won't ever even have a hearing) then I'm leaving.

Lots of non combatants die in war

Oh I am well aware, and I have major doubts even a majority of people would want to stay, which would be a huge disaster of a refugee situation. It ain’t happening, though.

Imagine wanting to fight the US military on American soil.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If I get drafted into Hot Wheels' army, it gives me a chance to shoot fascists. Granted, it won't be from very far away.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

DuckHuntDog posted:

Oh I am well aware, and I have major doubts even a majority of people would want to stay, which would be a huge disaster of a refugee situation. It ain’t happening, though.

Imagine wanting to fight the US military on American soil.

I remember overhearing a conversation about a secession back during the Obama administration, where one person was claiming that the US wouldn't even be able to invade.

"Think of all the major military bases! We come with our own military right out of the gate! The US would be forced to negotiate!"

I had to bite my tongue fairly hard to not jump in.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

When we lose Civil War II, do we get to have reconstruction afterwards?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wonder if the largest US Army base being right in the middle of Texas would complicate things for the Texas Army

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

I remember overhearing a conversation about a secession back during the Obama administration, where one person was claiming that the US wouldn't even be able to invade.

"Think of all the major military bases! We come with our own military right out of the gate! The US would be forced to negotiate!"

I had to bite my tongue fairly hard to not jump in.

Day 1: Hey, how come I I'm locked out of the code generator to start the F-35?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

GOD loving DAMNIT, I know I really shouldn't be surprised, but gently caress our State and Federal government for getting so entwined into SpaceX being a success.

https://gizmodo.com/spacex-granted-faa-permission-for-second-starship-test-1851025834

https://twitter.com/ESGhound/status/1724830430774329399

https://twitter.com/ESGhound/status/1724901433647230995

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

i say swears online posted:

I'd immediately go underground with the rest of the red guards

The pro-Union resistance movement will be the Sam Houston Underground, and we won’t be accepting red guards as members.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

zoux posted:

I wonder if the largest US Army base being right in the middle of Texas would complicate things for the Texas Army

The few honest texiters I've met actually think they're getting all that in the divorce

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I suppose if I stayed behind to lead a highly-successful and gallant partisan force then when the US inevitably triumphs I might be given a hand in the new provisional government...

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

LanceHunter posted:

The pro-Union resistance movement will be the Sam Houston Underground, and we won’t be accepting red guards as members.

the red guards have declared a total people's war upon the $$$am Houston Blunderground

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

there are many very dumb things to ponder about the concept of Texas secession, but i think an underrated one is the assumption that "Texas" would even continue to exist as a coherent political entity with borders that have any resemblance to today's borders. I can only assume that the city-states of Austin, San Antonio, and Houston would very much like out of whatever thing is called "Texas" at that point

e:

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The few honest texiters I've met actually think they're getting all that in the divorce
lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

I suppose if I stayed behind to lead a highly-successful and gallant partisan force then when the US inevitably triumphs I might be given a hand in the new provisional government...

goodbye Jim Wells, hello Swears County

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Blotto_Otter posted:

there are many very dumb things to ponder about the concept of Texas secession, but i think an underrated one is the assumption that "Texas" would even continue to exist as a coherent political entity with borders that have any resemblance to today's borders. I can only assume that the city-states of Austin, San Antonio, and Houston would very much like out of whatever thing is called "Texas" at that point

e:

lol

I assume San Antonio would still be the US considering how many military bases there are around there. Taking into account how much intelligence stuff happens in San Antonio, any attempt to take it over would likely be swiftly met with violence.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
No but see then they e got us right where they want us.

Surrounded!!! (Texas is 83ish% urban in population).

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I always wanted to be a 5th columnist.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

I assume San Antonio would still be the US considering how many military bases there are around there. Taking into account how much intelligence stuff happens in San Antonio, any attempt to take it over would likely be swiftly met with violence.

Texas doesn't really have any ability to stop drone strikes and that's all it'd take to wipe out the Y'all Qaeda cells to nip this in the bud before it even started.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Arcella posted:

I always wanted to be a 5th columnist.

Same. I'd settle for being an opinion columnist though.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

tecnocrat posted:

Same. I'd settle for being an opinion columnist though.

Tokyo Rose but Texas flavored

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Operation Gladiyeehaw

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

i say swears online posted:

Tokyo Rose but Texas flavored

Tequila Rose? Hard pass.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My Jewish Friend says that now she has protesters showing up outside her temple in Austin protesting Israel. While it's for entirely the wrong reasons (trying to usher in armageddon), I am very glad that the way the Nick Fuentes thing broke out was performative pro-semitism on the part of the state GOP rather than ignoring it or dismissing it, as has been the case with the party in the past.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

"you celebrate hannukah, shouldn't you join the IDF to participate in the ethnonationalist project?" is acceptable antisemitism in churches everywhere

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's still hosed up!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Texas should secede so that republicans lose its largest source of republican electoral votes, and so that Mexico can take it back.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mexico doesn't want that many more PAN voters

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

zoux posted:

My Jewish Friend says that now she has protesters showing up outside her temple in Austin protesting Israel. While it's for entirely the wrong reasons (trying to usher in armageddon), I am very glad that the way the Nick Fuentes thing broke out was performative pro-semitism on the part of the state GOP rather than ignoring it or dismissing it, as has been the case with the party in the past.

Where is this? The one in Rosedale?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Not sure, I think it's one of the ones over off of Far West

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Those ones are all in a walled-off complex with a security guard, which I thought was a little much when I worked there for a year, but have since come to appreciate for obvious reasons.

Beth Israel on Shoal Creek is the one that had their door burned by that kid.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I asked her, that's the one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/KenPaxtonTX/status/1725252835846103248

Yeah, that looks abotu right

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Carrie is an...

AI-generated image

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
oh wow

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-care/you-thought-it-was-urgent-care-center-until-you-got-n750906

quote:

When Ginger Pine’s daughter started coughing and running a fever one night last December, she tried to take her to their usual after-hours doctor’s office, but there was a line out the door.

Pine and her husband kept driving until they came upon a facility called PrimeCare Emergency Center. "There was nobody in the waiting room, so we went ahead and went in."

Pine’s daughter Myra, then 3, was given an antibiotic shot and a prescription for oral antibiotics and sent home. It wasn’t until Ginger Pine saw the bill that she realized she hadn’t taken her daughter to a new urgent care in the neighborhood, but to what’s called a freestanding emergency room.

The bill? $2,697. After insurance chipped in, Pine was still left on the hook for almost $1,700.

Thinking there had been some kind of mistake, Pine called her insurance company. "When I called insurance, they said that I went to an emergency room. I said, 'No, there’s no way I went to an emergency room. It was next to a nail place!'"

While often visually similar to urgent care centers — the walk-in doctor’s offices cropping up across the country — freestanding emergency centers are emergency rooms located outside of hospitals, with prices similar to hospital ERs.

The National Association of Freestanding Emergency Centers says the growing concept in emergency health care was conceived as a solution to long ER waits and a lack of access to hospitals across the country.

But many patients still don’t know the difference between these emergency facilities and urgent care centers.

"I mean, it just, it doesn’t seem like an emergency room," Pine explained. "Yes, it’s labeled an emergency center. But to me and my husband — we’re educated people — we don’t know that that means that it’s considered an emergency room."

Had Pine taken Myra to her regular doctor, she says the bill would have only been $12 out-of-pocket.

quote:

NBC News found that at least 35 states currently have some type of freestanding emergency room. In the majority of those states, they function as off-campus ERs affiliated with an existing hospital, but in over a dozen others, freestanding emergency rooms may be owned by independent providers. Regulations and licensure policy vary state by state.

In Texas, where Ginger Pine lives, freestanding emergency rooms are required by law to include "emergency" or "ER" in their signage, which helps to reduce some confusion, but simple Google Maps searches often bring up both urgent care centers and freestanding ERs synonymously.

quote:

Dr. Carrie de Moor runs her own small chain of freestanding emergency rooms in the Dallas area. She says the cost disparity is warranted.

"In case that sore throat that you had was actually something called epiglottitis, where your airway was about to close, you're paying for the fact that you have the airway equipment there where you wouldn't necessarily have that diagnostic ability in your doctor's office," de Moor said.

"It’s more expensive to order a filet mignon than a hamburger," she said, "It’s two completely different types of care."

Dr. de Moor says patients at her facilities are told about the price difference and are even referred to an urgent care center if they don't have an emergency, but a class action lawsuit filed in Texas this year says a different company is failing at doing just that.

I would trust her, she's got a stethoscope!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's funny, if she won she'd be the second sitting member who is also a doctor who owns a chain of free standing emergency clinics.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
Is there a DFW equivalent to the Innsmouth Look because there is someone unsettling about the ghouls up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Oil! posted:

Is there a DFW equivalent to the Innsmouth Look because there is someone unsettling about the ghouls up there.