Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Sid just needed smaller guys like HBK to bounce off of him. Don’t make him work outside of that comfort zone and you’re golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

That guy on the right is impossibly and impressively wide.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

sid was responsible for the best segment in wcw history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4btBbC4i8dI

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Dawgstar posted:

It's part of why people loved Sid. Say what you want but he could squash a skinny dude with a mullet like nobody else.

This is why I just can't get super into wrestling now, a severe lack of skinny dudes with mullets getting squashed.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
warrior killed honky tonk was cool is hell but what wasnt cool as hell was that every warrior match is the same 10 second squash match

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

That guy on the right is impossibly and impressively wide.

Mr. Masa Saito was def a proto Tomohiro Ishii.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

haljordan posted:

This is why I just can't get super into wrestling now, a severe lack of skinny dudes with mullets getting squashed.

There was one jobber tag team that got fed to Ryback and for some reason they were allowed to cut a short promo beforehand announcing their names, which were a pastiche of US presidents and Freebirds, which I can't quite remember.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

There was one jobber tag team that got fed to Ryback and for some reason they were allowed to cut a short promo beforehand announcing their names, which were a pastiche of US presidents and Freebirds, which I can't quite remember.

6/11/12 Ryback defeated Willard Fillmore and Rutherford PS Hayes, The Dead Presidents.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Barry Stevens was the funniest jobber of all time

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Rusty Shackelford posted:

6/11/12 Ryback defeated Willard Fillmore and Rutherford PS Hayes, The Dead Presidents.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Barry Stevens was the funniest jobber of all time
Looking up Ryback jobbers: Barry Stevens (who was not Fillmore or Hayes) is now in a tag team called the Dead Presidents as Lo Lincoln, tagging with Boog Washington.

Other Ryback victims included Ricky Reyes, Chase Owens, and Bryan Danielson.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVfcLW6Q8SU

I don't think I've ever seen a proper Road Warriors match. In fact, I've seen very little of the classic tag teams. But what makes me curious about Hawk and Animal is their best skillset seems to be stuff like this. I mainly judge based on what Bryan and Vinny say in their Retro reviews but isn't the essence of tag team wrestling heat and hot tags? "Playing Ricky Morton" as it's called? For my generation it was the Hardyz and specifically Jeff in this babyface in peril role.

Just looking at these two, and listening to Bryan always declaring "Hawk can't sell," makes me wonder if they had big, 5 star tag matches full of action and drama?

If this was all you knew of The Road Warriors late 90s WWE run you'd probably think it was a rousing success.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

If this was all you knew of The Road Warriors late 90s WWE run you'd probably think it was a rousing success.

Oh no, I loved this. I was actually using this as a sample of what seems to be their strength and yet contrasting it with what is usually touted as great tag team psychology and work. This was fun and entertaining but isn't gonna win any Five Star awards.

But maybe that's just how differently we think of wrestling now like an earlier user commented.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol at vince making the road warriors carry a ventriloquist dummy around

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
I grew up watching NWA on TBS and from the perspective of the then-8-year-old JS, the Road Warriors were who got brought in once some evil motherfuckers needed their comeuppance, I never saw them come out and expected a "match" so much as a "one-sided extremely satisfying rear end-kicking."

I remember when the famous Midnight Express/RW scaffold match was announced and my thoughts on the matter (even at 8!):
1)This is loving insane
2)If you were going to do this, why against the Road Warriors
3)No, seriously, this is insane

The greatest squashers of all time. OOOOOOOOOOOOH WHAT A RUSSSSSSH, RIP.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The Midnight express loved to wrestle

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

NikkolasKing posted:

Oh no, I loved this. I was actually using this as a sample of what seems to be their strength and yet contrasting it with what is usually touted as great tag team psychology and work. This was fun and entertaining but isn't gonna win any Five Star awards.

But maybe that's just how differently we think of wrestling now like an earlier user commented.

I was just thinking of 'Crash TV' and I realized that the Road Warriors were perfect for it because 3 minute matches were their forte.
Nothing in the midcard was going to be winning 5 star awards in 97.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

3/18/1989. A masked Great Muta has shown up either Gary Hart

Edit: the Samoan swat team has debuted and they are pretty good too.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 15, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

3/18/1989. A masked Great Muta has shown up either Gary Hart

Edit: the Samoan swat team has debuted and they are pretty good.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

The Samoan SWAT Team are great and they have an all time great team name to boot

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Ranger Ross: The war criminal wrestler

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

"Why is the Great Muta's face bl..... :stare: he just killed that jobber."

Are his matches always that fast paced and explosive?

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 15, 2023

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Pretty much. Muta in his prime was insane

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Until his knees started to disappear. Which required him to revamp his moveset.

Peak was around 2000-2002, when he went bald and started to run with All Japan.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Asteroid Alert posted:

but then he invented the shining wizard which was the coolest poo poo ever for a good while

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Trying posted:

but then he invented the shining wizard which was the coolest poo poo ever for a good while

That was the peak era. His 2001 AJPW run is underrated

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Asteroid Alert posted:

Problem is after his first WCW run Mutoh often would slack in the Muta gimmick, especially in the US, and you'd get the most bland matches

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0S-w04qSJk

I just watched this video and would like to draw attention to the fact that according to Eric Bischoff, Steve Austin once pitched an angle where he would be Hulk Hogans little brother. No, seriously, skip to the 12:30 mark if you don’t believe me.

Can you imagine :allears:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sandman McMahon posted:

I just watched this video and would like to draw attention to the fact that according to Eric Bischoff, Steve Austin once pitched an angle where he would be Hulk Hogans little brother. No, seriously, skip to the 12:30 mark if you don’t believe me.

Eric not really sure about history? This has never happened before.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
eric bischoff is confused

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the great muta ftw

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

the great muta ftw

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

STONE COLD 64 posted:

the great muta ftw

The Son of Great Kabuki!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Watching clash of champions 6 and apparently the WWE edited out 3 fights for some reason. Bob Orton vs Dick Murdoch, Ranger Ross vs Iron Shiek, and Varisty club vs road warriors (title match)

Garbage.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Mr Hootington posted:

Watching clash of champions 6 and apparently the WWE edited out 3 fights for some reason. Bob Orton vs Dick Murdoch, Ranger Ross vs Iron Shiek, and Varisty club vs road warriors (title match)

Garbage.

I recall Jim Ross talking about how turner execs with no idea what they were doing were overseeing the editing of releasing the vhs retail tapes of shows around that era and apparently all the wwe network stuff is taken from those VHS-es.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
WWF used to edit down matches in their early PPVs so they could fit on VHS tapes. I think it’s the first Survivor Series that has a tag match where several eliminations are just missing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pope Corky the IX posted:

WWF used to edit down matches in their early PPVs so they could fit on VHS tapes. I think it’s the first Survivor Series that has a tag match where several eliminations are just missing.

It's in that big tag Survivor match. All of a sudden the Bulldogs are just gone (I think Haku pins one of them) and then it's the Killer Bees and Young Stallions playing underdogs.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

0konner posted:

I recall Jim Ross talking about how turner execs with no idea what they were doing were overseeing the editing of releasing the vhs retail tapes of shows around that era and apparently all the wwe network stuff is taken from those VHS-es.

I was able to find the Varisty club vs Road Warriors on daily motion. It was a good match. Road Warriors lost to variety club to drop the world tag team titles.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xuu3fr

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Mr Hootington posted:

Garbage.

If you're watching on youtube, the edits are usually (as far as I've been able to deduce) because the matches have been part of some WWE dvd release at one point.
That's the only thing that really seems to trigger the content blocks on specific matches.

Like, the entire first Jim Crockett Cup is fine to upload to youtube, except the final match because its part of the Road Warriors dvd set.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Mr Hootington posted:

Garbage.
There's clearly something up with the master tape they have for that show. Take note of how the graphics are messed up for the intros of each wrestler, too.

(Also, this is not a home video edit. There was no home video. And only a few shows on the network are home video edits.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Sandman McMahon posted:

eric definitely mixed up steve austin and horace hogan, understandable though