Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Ongoings take effect before the attempt to destroy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
So potentially pulling an Uno Reverse on Professor X is a pretty good benefit.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Prof X is one of the few cards that can be crazy good to pull. But even then its not a lot of cubes because you cant snap pre-gladiator unless you're a crazy person, as the bad pulls faaaar outweigh the good.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I've been playing my Ms.Marvel deck a lot, so plenty of Ongoings, and yeah Gladiator hosed me up a few times lately. Pulling like Mystique, or Super Skrull, or even Ms.Marvel.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've been playing my Ms.Marvel deck a lot, so plenty of Ongoings, and yeah Gladiator hosed me up a few times lately. Pulling like Mystique, or Super Skrull, or even Ms.Marvel.
hosed up, just in the sense of removing a random card from your deck?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Maybe they'll eventually release a card that lets you revive your opponents' destroyed cards.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

No Wave posted:

hosed up, just in the sense of removing a random card from your deck?

Sorry, yeah., not "hosed up" in the sense it was bugged or anything too crazy, just hosed up in the sense that I typically retreated because it ended up pulling and destroying a card I needed.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I just don't see why I'd want to use Gladiator over Yondu or Doc Ock

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Gladiator pulling from hand would make him a very good card, wonder if they should change it but make him like a 3/4 or something

maybe that'd still be too good idk

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Gladiator would struggle to be a good card even if the other card didn't get to activate before he zapped it

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014

Opopanax posted:

I just don't see why I'd want to use Gladiator over Yondu or Doc Ock

3/7 is an extremely good statline, and running 2 or 3 of the above has a really good chance of loving up someone's gameplan.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Gladiator has some weird, niche uses. I had an opponent playing a Shuri/Sauron list, who played Zero'd Ebony Maw and Armor in the rightmost lane. Turn 4, they played Shuri in the same lane - same turn I play Gladiator into that lane. So now it's filled with junk and they can't win the lane

But I've also been eating his lunch when my opponents are playing him - low roll Hela has several decent stat cards that are way above 3/7. If they're below, they at least get to activate their discard effect

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Run Gladiator on Blob week with Valkyrie.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/MarvelSnapZone/status/1724709527197741538

I put on: https://twitch.tv/derajn

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Why are they pushing Punisher so hard? Are they going to rework him to not suck? He's, at best, a 3/6, right? Maybe he has a slot in, like, a Dazzler/Mojo/Spectrum deck, but idk.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

Why are they pushing Punisher so hard? Are they going to rework him to not suck? He's, at best, a 3/6, right? Maybe he has a slot in, like, a Dazzler/Mojo/Spectrum deck, but idk.

It is odd that of all the Peach variants, they picked one of the least playable for Twitch drops.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Punisher is a safe card to give away that doesn't matter whatsoever so it's a win for everyone

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
^ this. they couldn't do something like an actual meta card otherwise, it'd be too much value!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

There are 17 captain america variants and 7 cosmo variants. If meta factors into their variant decisions its hard to interpret how.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They have said before that Punisher is going to get a rework but we don’t know when

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Have the drops for this actually started? I'm not seeing the progress bar and the "open campaigns" page on Twitch doesn't show Snap.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Fartington Butts posted:

Have the drops for this actually started? I'm not seeing the progress bar and the "open campaigns" page on Twitch doesn't show Snap.

It apparently didn't start until 2pm ET

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

it's going now. check your twitch app. I was actually watching a snap chan and didn't know there was a drop this month! bonus for me lol

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I thought Gladiator pulled the card to your side. He's actually just objectively terrible, a less good Yondu.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Maximus is much less annoying and has the same power/cost

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I've seen Gladiator once. He pulled my Infinaut and immediately retreated. Him cursing was pretty funny.

New location is fun. I appreciate them branching out and coming up with more stuff that doesn't limit play.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Kinda weird the little "Hot Location!" blurb on the main page doesn't tell you what a Djinn is/does.

I was able to find out on my own, bit c'mon, would it be that hard to include that info?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Kinda weird the little "Hot Location!" blurb on the main page doesn't tell you what a Djinn is/does.

I was able to find out on my own, bit c'mon, would it be that hard to include that info?

Me, a Lockjaw main: :sickos:

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

CapnAndy posted:

I thought Gladiator pulled the card to your side. He's actually just objectively terrible, a less good Yondu.

I've played both a silver surfer deck with Gladiator and "mill" with Gladiator/Yondu/Wong + death/Knull for big drops. The silver surfer deck is much more consistent and overall better since I can put cards like Gladiator/Maximus behind Cosmo. The Destroy deck is fun tho.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

I had to ask someone in the Discord as well, since they didn’t give that info

It definitely leads to some chaotic games

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
I said gently caress it and went for the pure rush of just finding out by playing a game and putting a card there; tbh I expected it to be some kinda Black Widow "cannot draw cards this turn" thing so I was pleasantly surprised.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Noor Dimension is just Altar of Death with extra steps for destroy. Destroy stays winning with Hot Locations!

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
On the topic of gently caress it, just bought the battle pass even though I'm not super into Ms. Marvel because I get annoyed with gaining levels and not being able to claim the rewards.

That will definitely fade over time, but since starting the game up again I'm only two passes deep.

I justify it because I need some more good by Christmas ;)

It also helps my lizard brain to hold onto my keys for Jeff and Nico.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Imagine being a new player and stomping around pool 2 with ms marvel. I dont think any other pass card has been so independently strong.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

No Wave posted:

Imagine being a new player and stomping around pool 2 with ms marvel. I dont think any other pass card has been so independently strong.

independently, yeah, but in total, pre-nerf zabu would like a roar

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
surfer was also bonkers at launch but i guess it did require a bit more coordination than ms marvel does

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

No Wave posted:

sort of depends how you define "independently," because she definitely imposes some (mild) deck-building restrictions and has obvious ongoing synergies she wants to play with

but yeah, even putting that qualifier aside, the pre-nerf versions of Loki, Elsa, Surfer and Zabu are probably the only real contenders on just raw power level

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I actually saw a semi-good use of Gladiator; playing Shuri first to guarantee he gets a kill. I still won because he pulled Mjolnir out for me so hey, thanks for the +6 and free space, but Shuri -> Gladiator -> Taskmaster isn’t the worst idea?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

I actually saw a semi-good use of Gladiator; playing Shuri first to guarantee he gets a kill. I still won because he pulled Mjolnir out for me so hey, thanks for the +6 and free space, but Shuri -> Gladiator -> Taskmaster isn’t the worst idea?
Shuri->Skull or Shuri->Vision are both better plays, but I guess in a squeeze maybe?

The best way to think about Gladiator is to pretend he's always pulling the bottom card (or second-to-bottom if Chavez makes this confusing) of your opponent's deck - unless the opponent is emptying their deck, destroying that card is functionally the same as them just not drawing it, except sometimes you actually don't destroy it, or it triggers an on-reveal before getting destroyed so it's actually worse than if it just got stuck in the deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

it's not the worst, but a 14 power card is basically a zero'd-but-non-Shuri'd-Red-Skull, which is your non-preferred plan B that is being achieved through the resources you want to be using for your plan A

even as a 3/8 and with the energy differential I'm not sure if I'd like it better than Vision as a backup Shuri target, since the movement is frequently great (and you've also generally got Mary and potentially even Sauron'd Ebony Maw as alternate semi-fail cases)

so it's maybe a good way of maximizing the card, but probably at the expense of worsening the stock deck/archetype

LGD fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 16, 2023