Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah it's fun but I still have no idea how anything but the basic gameplay works lol. I got all these equipment and relics and no clue what they're really doing.

They’re trying to suck money out of you op. Looks like there’s a (optional) gacha element.

The base gameplay doesn’t require it and there’s no paywall unless you wanna get competitive on leaderboards for a dota arcade game :chloe:

That said I played one round and got like 5 meta legendary equipment items which I put onto a meta paper doll to maybe make my future runs easier / capable of doing harder difficulties. There’s a lot of stats and words and… yeah idk. Click around a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Nature's Prophet's one of those heroes that force you at any moment to decide whether it's better to fight with your team or push a lane instead. Sometimes staying out of the fight, and choosing to make a Dota 2 game a single player one is a winning strat. It's called ratting, a less-than-honorable tactic that wins games.

makes sense, the problem is that I push lanes and get a bunch of farm, but then my team all just rushes the towers and all dies. I'm going to try an Orchid build and try fighting earlier.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Orchid and deso, it’s so good.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Sprout the enemy tower and see if that helps

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DNK posted:

They’re trying to suck money out of you op. Looks like there’s a (optional) gacha element.

The base gameplay doesn’t require it and there’s no paywall unless you wanna get competitive on leaderboards for a dota arcade game :chloe:

That said I played one round and got like 5 meta legendary equipment items which I put onto a meta paper doll to maybe make my future runs easier / capable of doing harder difficulties. There’s a lot of stats and words and… yeah idk. Click around a lot.

They give out so much free poo poo that I hardly feel compelled to give them real money. I've got loads of equipment and relics (?) and materials to upgrade them but I have no idea how any of it actually works, but if I want to play on higher difficulties or use the burning modifiers I gotta know that stuff.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Boys for all you old stoners bind spacebar to focus on hero,

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Space Bar is set to 'Show Recent Event' but if I hit it a second time it does focus my hero. But I still lose myself in more chaotic fights occasionally.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I. Got mine to like select hero or w.e and double tap it I think, stole it from hots that was the only good thing about that game

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Spacebar is one of my item binds, usually for blink dagger or other things I think I might want to be able to use as a quick reaction (except BKB, which is always on =, which is bound to a side mouse button).

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Same, blink dagger on space bar. ‘1’ is my hero focus.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Is there a key bind to lock camera on a hero so it follows?

Infernot
Jul 17, 2015

"A short night wakes me from a dream that seemed so long."
Grimey Drawer
My friend who plays League is finally getting into Dota and we're having a great time playing together but one thing that is incredibly annoying is the guide bug where if you don't pre-load the guide before joining the match, they'll all show up as blank and not work. It seems like this has been a bug for a few weeks and it's kind of crazy there hasn't been a fix for it. It apparently affects Dota Plus as well. Somehow this has caused him more frustration and confusion than any of the matches we've played, which is not how I imagined his new user experience would go

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Super-NintendoUser posted:

I just double-click the hero pane. Only time I do this is to block the first creep wave.

Infernot posted:

My friend who plays League is finally getting into Dota and we're having a great time playing together but one thing that is incredibly annoying is the guide bug where if you don't pre-load the guide before joining the match, they'll all show up as blank and not work. It seems like this has been a bug for a few weeks and it's kind of crazy there hasn't been a fix for it. It apparently affects Dota Plus as well. Somehow this has caused him more frustration and confusion than any of the matches we've played, which is not how I imagined his new user experience would go

My favorite part is when Dota Plus suggests purchasing items I already have. No thanks, I don't need a second soul ring.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

Spacebar is one of my item binds, usually for blink dagger or other things I think I might want to be able to use as a quick reaction (except BKB, which is always on =, which is bound to a side mouse button).

Same. I use it for things that don't need targeting. I use one for select hero and double tapping and holding will follow you.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I have blink on b, like a gentleman

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

This is my spacebar

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mr.Acula posted:

This is my spacebar

I have select hero on 1, but that doesn't like "lock" the camera on it unless you hold it right?

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Yeah i double tap it and hold it

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It might have its uses but centering the camera on your hero isn't really a good thing most of the time.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

Infernot posted:

If you're able to get a real life friend into DotA you've done something that I have spent 15 years trying to accomplish with zero, and I mean zero, results.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

It might have its uses but centering the camera on your hero isn't really a good thing most of the time.

I usually see higher tier players use it to reset the camera after panning. Drag cam, spam orders, recenter, repeat. I try to do the same thing, but I don't play much anymore, but yeah having it follow your unit for long periods is usually a bad sign.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
You never want the camera centred on your hero because you should always have your hero on the "safe" edge of the screen to maximise vision of the "danger" side.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Vando posted:

You never want the camera centred on your hero because you should always have your hero on the "safe" edge of the screen to maximise vision of the "danger" side.

Makes sense.

I had a couple games last night that were terrible, maybe I can get some guidance:
1) played WD p5, and I was just food for this shadow blade/blink Slardar. No matter where I was he found and killed me first thing. I built glimmer cape and tried to get some casual armor, but it was a slog of a game. I think that wasn't on me, though. We had two people fighting over safelane so we didn't have any one that could man up. I think I could have laned better, there was an SK in our lane, I should have gotten sentries so we had a better start.
2) Zeus mid vs a Necro and I was just food for him. I couldn't last night at all. It was a nightmare. I couldn't get anything done, not enough mana to farm, no items for fights, it was a rough one
3) NP safelane vs a Sniper. We won this game at like 60 min because I ratted with shadowblade, but we couldn't deal with the Sniper. My intention was to ward the enemy jungle and try to pick him off, but he never went into the jungle and just kept farming our heroes. Eventually I just wait for a team fight, and TPed past their team and came in from the rear and caught him. That seemed to work, but usually we'd both die.

That said I'm having fun so that's good.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That said I'm having fun so that's good.

:toot:

Happy to hear you aren't regretting reinstalling.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
i've official become an NP spammer and I hate myself.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

2) Zeus mid vs a Necro and I was just food for him. I couldn't last night at all. It was a nightmare. I couldn't get anything done, not enough mana to farm, no items for fights, it was a rough one
As a Necro player, this is just a tough matchup for Zeus. You have to be really disciplined about cs because every one you let the Necro hit means more regen for him, you have to do it while staying out of range of his Q, and even his aura as much as you can. You’re hungry for runes and he’s happy to just deny them. If you can maintain lane balance and deward him aggressively maybe you can hide with the hg vision enough to have an OK lane but in general that’s a matchup I expect to win on Necro most of the time.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

I really only use it for creep blocking

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I was randomly checking my steam inventory and saw I had this Shattered Greatsword, is anyone in the market for one? Can only be gifted once.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I need to come to terms with just "you're going to lose this lane, basically no matter what" so just minimize the bleeding and don't feed. It's hard when you are tuned on CS.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'd go one step further and come to acceptance with the fact that you will sometimes lose the game outright, regardless of how spectacularly you won or lost your lane :v:

But yea, yet another skill of the game is counter picking your opponent and knowing that Hero A beats Hero B in most match ups unless Hero A is controlled by a much worse player. In those occasions you either ask your team to help rotate and gank, go gank other lanes yourself, or find somewhere else to farm and just try not to feed. Or be like me and say gently caress that, I'll just play who I enjoy playing :hmmyes:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sab669 posted:

I'd go one step further and come to acceptance with the fact that you will sometimes lose the game outright, regardless of how spectacularly you won or lost your lane :v:

But yea, yet another skill of the game is counter picking your opponent and knowing that Hero A beats Hero B in most match ups unless Hero A is controlled by a much worse player. In those occasions you either ask your team to help rotate and gank, go gank other lanes yourself, or find somewhere else to farm and just try not to feed. Or be like me and say gently caress that, I'll just play who I enjoy playing :hmmyes:

In Unranked, picking is madness. You get weird drafts with five carries, and everyone fights over safelane. Maybe the solution is to always last pick and try to round out a draft, but then you give away the broken heroes from the patch.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh right. I mentioned it in a previous post but eventually when you rack up enough games your team picks should normalize to the typical "1,2,3,4,5 roles" as you stop getting paired up with new players who have put zero effort outside of playing DOTA into learning DOTA. There will always be bungholes who insist on only playing X role even though someone already picked it, or pick just really bad picks for the role though.

I guess for you I'd say it's good you like Nature's Prophet then, he's a great pick at any stage of the draft and his ability to just gently caress off and hit towers with a creep wave + treants will help stall games until the rest of your team gets their heads out of their asses and wins :v: For that style, Desolator + Assault Cuirass is real good for the armor reduction vs buildings.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm like 6-2 with Wraith King this patch and I've only had one game where I wasn't bullied out of lane. This hero is great if you hate yourself and want to get a late 22 minute radiance that instantly turns the game around somehow.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

In Unranked, picking is madness. You get weird drafts with five carries, and everyone fights over safelane. Maybe the solution is to always last pick and try to round out a draft, but then you give away the broken heroes from the patch.

For this situation leverage the early part of the game and learn which supports can ball out before all the opposing carries come online - AA, dark willow, silencer, 4 position zeus, can all scale into the late game while being strong in lane.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

For this situation leverage the early part of the game and learn which supports can ball out before all the opposing carries come online - AA, dark willow, silencer, 4 position zeus, can all scale into the late game while being strong in lane.
My favorite for this kind of strategy is Winter Wyvern who starts off as a helpful support and turns into airborne artillery.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

anilEhilated posted:

My favorite for this kind of strategy is Winter Wyvern who starts off as a helpful support and turns into airborne artillery.

That Sniper game was like that, lvl 25 wyvern and sniper, it was absolute madness.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

I'd add Enchantress to this list, where at lower levels, you can kind of ignore using enchant for anything but a slow, and then just impetus folks down. Then at the lower levels, people don't really buy BKBs as much as they should so your ult kind of makes you invisible to carries as you just rain down nukes.

Strong pos 4 is imo the easiest way to rise MMR out of the trenches.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

+1 for Enchantress. One of those heroes I don't often play but every time I do I say I need to play her more.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

don't forget jakiro, he owns lanes, kills towers and lets you farm up real good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Master_Odin posted:

I'd add Enchantress to this list, where at lower levels, you can kind of ignore using enchant for anything but a slow, and then just impetus folks down. Then at the lower levels, people don't really buy BKBs as much as they should so your ult kind of makes you invisible to carries as you just rain down nukes.

Strong pos 4 is imo the easiest way to rise MMR out of the trenches.
Enchantress feels miserable to play from behind, though: if the other team has big magic nukes like Lion/Lina or carries who don't care about Untouchable like Lifestealer, you won't be able to do much midgame, and as a support you're picking first phase so you can't even dodge them a lot of the time. She has one of the worst winrates in the game for a reason.

As much as I hate to say it, you're probably better off playing support Pudge, who at least can CC someone for 4 seconds.