Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

robot roll call posted:

the first episode with Herb has one of my favorite jokes on the entire show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHzypHJUMMo

Lol it’s so good.

Forgot how in Brush with Greatness, Homer clogs a water pipe at 260lbs & is compared to an elephant Burns saw on safari when he’s down to 239lbs. Different times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Halisnacks posted:

I never realised that she was quite so old even when Marge and Homer were canonically in their mid-20s.

Is she especially old there though? I mean, if Marge has been grey as a mule since she was 17 (I forget whether or not that's canon), maybe it's a family trait

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

shes a smoker

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Data Graham posted:

It was funny how whenever her mom showed up in early seasons they literally made her say "I have laryngitis, it hurts to talk"

She peaked early on with "At the risk of losing my voice, let me just say one more thing: I’m sorry I came." Any other gag with her afterward was downhill.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So what are the odds that the Simpsons producers specifically had Homer state he no longer strangles Bart in a recent episode just so they could turn around and say "no way, we're not gonna start SENSORING the show!" to "stick it to the woke crowd"?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Newest episode has Bart and Lisa get Margery a childhood parrot she apparently had but it was a menace and she hated it.

I think Carl and Lenny might have new voice actors so why didn't they do that for Apu? Bart was sounding off in the episode as well. I think they forgot about Maggie that episode bc I don't think she shows up once but I guess I also forget Maggie because maybe she usually doesn't show up and I don't notice.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Khanstant posted:

Bart was sounding off in the episode as well.

In the most recent episode I saw, he didn't sound like a 10 year old boy -- he sounded (understandably) like an adult woman. I don't know if that's the "off" you're talking about, but it was certainly the "off" that I observed.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

apu is a dated caricature even if you give him a new voice actor that sounds nothing like the original such as dr. hibbert and carl

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeardley is the only actor that sounds the same even Castellaneta is slipping. Helps that thats just her voice I guess

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

hatty posted:

Yeardley is the only actor that sounds the same even Castellaneta is slipping. Helps that thats just her voice I guess

Plus she’s the youngest of the main cast.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

apu is a dated caricature even if you give him a new voice actor that sounds nothing like the original such as dr. hibbert and carl

The original joke they tried with Apu was that he was an extremely intelligent computer programmer who came to America for school and got trapped in a dead end job, and that explained the general contempt he had for most of the people in Springfield. Then they introduced his wife and it became all Indian jokes all the time. Apu's characterization actually regressed from something kind of clever to the laziest caricature they could come up with.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Just scrubbing Apu from all the merchandise and promos and never putting him in a new episode ever again would have been better than the crap episode they did which hardly addressed it at all.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

emSparkly posted:

Just scrubbing Apu from all the merchandise and promos and never putting him in a new episode ever again would have been better than the crap episode they did which hardly addressed it at all.

lol that they did this and still caved in and removed him :sad:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
A-who?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

sweet geek swag posted:

The original joke they tried with Apu was that he was an extremely intelligent computer programmer who came to America for school and got trapped in a dead end job, and that explained the general contempt he had for most of the people in Springfield.

That backstory was a season 5 episode, far from the original joke which was, in its entirety, "Indian guy works at convenience store"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It really should not be hard to give him decent back story and characterization. Really embarrassing failure on their part on all around.

YeahTubaMike posted:

In the most recent episode I saw, he didn't sound like a 10 year old boy -- he sounded (understandably) like an adult woman. I don't know if that's the "off" you're talking about, but it was certainly the "off" that I observed.

Yeah that's about it, lost the kind of high pitched back of squeeze throat boyishness.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Khanstant posted:

Newest episode has Bart and Lisa get Margery a childhood parrot she apparently had but it was a menace and she hated it.

Heh, that's at least a plausible one, cockatoos can outlive you. And be menaces the entire time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I laughed at some of the bird gags, more than at Homer's whole fear mongering app arc.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
No one should outlive their bird

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

No one should outlive their bird

Thats not true the cruelest thing a person can do is die and make one of their poor family members inherit a parrot.

Fobby
Jun 28, 2023

sweet geek swag posted:

The original joke they tried with Apu was that he was an extremely intelligent computer programmer who came to America for school and got trapped in a dead end job, and that explained the general contempt he had for most of the people in Springfield. Then they introduced his wife and it became all Indian jokes all the time. Apu's characterization actually regressed from something kind of clever to the laziest caricature they could come up with.

I was about to post something like this a while back because I also liked Apu's original backstory but then I remembered that the episode that set that up also had 7000000 people in his graduating class and he got his diploma from a cobra, so I couldn't give the writers full marks for avoiding the lol Indians jokes.

I know his mom came from the stereotype episode but I still love the delivery and attitude behind the line, "all right... Ganesh has been subdued."

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Fobby posted:

I was about to post something like this a while back because I also liked Apu's original backstory but then I remembered that the episode that set that up also had 7000000 people in his graduating class and he got his diploma from a cobra, so I couldn't give the writers full marks for avoiding the lol Indians jokes.

I know his mom came from the stereotype episode but I still love the delivery and attitude behind the line, "all right... Ganesh has been subdued."

There were always pieces of it that were a little bit lazy, but I think there would be something worth salvaging if they had kept up a more balanced depiction. As it is, the character just didn't have any redeeming features and hadn't really for years. It wasn't always just a lazy caricature, Apu had actually been a character at one point.

The arranged marriage episode is actually a good place to draw the line, because in that episode Apu is actually completely living as his own character and then gets that lotus blossom and it instantly becomes all Indian jokes all the time.

And yes, "Ganesh has been subdued," is a very funny line.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Every so often I see some video on Youtube about people making mods for the Simspons Hit and Run videogame.

I guess the Simpsons is the perfect mix of kids watching it, but it's for adults, and it's still around, so people with old nostalgia for the videogame to return to as adults, but it makes me wonder what it would be like if any of those other many, many tie-in videogames that were made at around the same time still had a fanbase with that sort of dedication.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Every so often I see some video on Youtube about people making mods for the Simspons Hit and Run videogame.

I guess the Simpsons is the perfect mix of kids watching it, but it's for adults, and it's still around, so people with old nostalgia for the videogame to return to as adults, but it makes me wonder what it would be like if any of those other many, many tie-in videogames that were made at around the same time still had a fanbase with that sort of dedication.

Closest similar game I could think of in that vein is SpongeBob Battle for Bikini Bottom.

I did remember enjoying Hit and Run back in the day but mostly just due to the fan service. It was just a mediocre GTA-like under all that.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

SlothfulCobra posted:

It’s an oddly devoted fanbase, one guy was totally remaking the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PBIFunhha4

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I love how you don't carjack the people of Springfield, you just hop in and they give you a ride as you take control of them.

I think the key is that they made a competent entry in a genre that's fun to just mess around in, that being the entire point of GTA and all, and nailed the atmosphere with tons of references and jokes that show it's an effort of love and they made use of everything the show had. The Homer and the Canyonero should show up in a Simpsons driving game! Not just as references but because they clearly fill useful roles in that setup.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

In the 13th season episode "Brawl in the Family" Milhouse says to Bart "How come you get a social worker? I'm the one with stigmata."

This joke has stuck in my mind for 20 years because I have no idea what it means. The connection between a social worker and stigmata is very unclear to me.

Also the rest of the episode sucked etc. whatever someone explain the joke to me

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
gently caress, I wanna know, too.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The only way there's a connection is if the stigmata's self-inflicted. But if it's happening by itself, then it's a sign of extreme Catholic holiness, so it's beyond a social worker's abilities to intervene.

So yeah, I don't really get it either. I guess they were trying to think of the most absurd and intense problem for Milhouse to have, and that's what they landed on.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 17, 2023

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I interpreted it as Milhouse is doing self harm but thats not very funny

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

There was aome movie about stigmata around then, so the concept was probably in the public consciousness at the time. I remembered because I was actually afraid of various holy catholic experiences, like stigmata or bloody tears Mary as a kid

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I was thinking of alternatives and I like, "I'm the one getting bullied by my imaginary friend!"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Keromaru5 posted:

The only way there's a connection is if the stigmata's self-inflicted. But if it's happening by itself, then it's a sign of extreme Catholic holiness, so it's beyond a social worker's abilities to intervene.

So yeah, I don't really get it either. I guess they were trying to think of the most absurd and intense problem for Milhouse to have, and that's what they landed on.

I'm guessing it's just a cow tools-esque "Millhouse has problems" joke with no deeper meaning. "What's a hosed up thing that could happen to Millhouse? stigmata I guess."

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm guessing it's just a cow tools-esque "Millhouse has problems" joke with no deeper meaning. "What's a hosed up thing that could happen to Millhouse? stigmata I guess."

They really started to do a lot of these after the parents divorcing episode.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Stigmata is inherently funny

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Das Boo posted:

I was thinking of alternatives and I like, "I'm the one getting bullied by my imaginary friend!"

That actually is better.

You know how they sometimes have those animator jams where a bunch of amateurs re-animate an episode of something clip by clip? Someone should organize one with an episode of post-classic Simpsons, except it's writing better jokes.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I’d settle for re-edits where people cut out the part in modern simpsons where they inevitably overexplain the joke after it happens

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Clever way to fit a season 53 episode into a youtube short!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Moon Monster posted:

Kind of along the lines of "you have selected regicide"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Also cut out every celebrity cameo that's just "That's right [Lisa/Bart], it's me." and we could cram them into a tiktok