Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

I think I would've really hated Nardole on his own (I have very conflicted feelings about Matt Lucas in general) but he has really good chemistry with Bill and that really makes his character work

100% - stuff like the "Are you secretly a badass?" "Nothing secret about it, babydoll." shouldn't work nearly as well as they make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Khanstant posted:

The thing I hated about Clara's ending was they implied she could always come back for more adventures but never has.

I kinda disagree. Clara had run her time out in the show, and we know how her story eventually ends. However our final scenes of her in the show make it clear that there are always going to be more adventures happening out there, so she's never really dead either.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Here's a fun BF story coming this month:

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-the-box-of-terrors-2855

Looks like we're getting 3 and 4 ...and two Sarah Janes.

Unfortunately we're not getting Treloar/Baker, or treloar/Culshaw...but instead entirely narrated by Culshaw.

I've never heard him do a 3 before, but his 4 is excellent, so should be fun at the least.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

JessKay posted:

100% - stuff like the "Are you secretly a badass?" "Nothing secret about it, babydoll." shouldn't work nearly as well as they make it work.

Haha yeah, on paper those lines are awful but their chemistry and delivery made it work great.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

I kinda disagree. Clara had run her time out in the show, and we know how her story eventually ends. However our final scenes of her in the show make it clear that there are always going to be more adventures happening out there, so she's never really dead either.

I just want some Ashildir and Clara adventures like these teased us with. Looks like in the Disney era everyone and their robot dogs will be getting a spinoff or special after all.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Looks like in the Disney era everyone and their robot dogs will be getting a spinoff or special after all.

Certainly has worked out well for Marvel and Star Wars! :v:

McGann
May 19, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Certainly has worked out well for Marvel and Star Wars! :v:

So, what's going to be the Doctor Who version of Andor?

I vote for a "lead up to the time war" series with Sir Derek Jacobi for that prestige hour of television. I'm also listening to a War Master audio presently so it may color my perception, but...I have a hard time imagining a better 'hook' for a "prestige doctor who" show.

It's entirely a joke on my part but I'm curious what others can come up with.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Paul McGann Time War miniseries with Jacobi as the War Master. They manage to never meet for the entire series.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't quite know the premise of Andor besides Star Wars If It Looked Good For the First Time Since 1983, but perhaps if Torchwood looked or was good for the first time it could be that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Andor is absolutely worth your time, and you don’t need to know anything but the broad strokes of SW (galactic empire, rebels exist). It’s got not a sniff of Jedi, but is all about fighting fascism. It’s so, so good, and I’m not crazy about SW.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

There’s probably a decent Andor-alike to be told about what went down on Skaro before Davros turned up.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Paul McGann Time War miniseries with Jacobi as the War Master. They manage to never meet for the entire series.

Eh, let them meet up. Everyone knows Eight suffers from memory problems.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

Andor is absolutely worth your time, and you don’t need to know anything but the broad strokes of SW (galactic empire, rebels exist). It’s got not a sniff of Jedi, but is all about fighting fascism. It’s so, so good, and I’m not crazy about SW.
It's the only Star War that even attempted to rise to the current moment.

Broadly, Star Wars has always been about fascists vs. antifascists, but this is the first time anything's really been about about that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Broadly, Star Wars has always been about fascists vs. antifascists, but this is the first time anything's really been about about that.

People who love dressing up as the empire and stormtroopers make me feel weird, because they all seem to forget (ignore?) that the empire are fash through and through.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

People who love dressing up as the empire and stormtroopers make me feel weird, because they all seem to forget (ignore?) that the empire are fash through and through.
I was early on in my transition at a con when had to spend a very tense elevator ride wondering if the person with whom I was now trapped and alone was dressed as a space nazi because he liked Star Wars, or because he liked Star Wars and relished the opportunity to let his fash flag fly in public.

Because sadly, that's a thing.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I love Andor as much as the next guy (maybe more!) but Doctor Who's strength is that it inherently has to grapple with politics in a way that a lot of non-Andor stuff is content to sidestep. The basic premise of the show is an outsider and usually some more contemporary characters step into a world that is different from and yet alike to our own in key ways, and large parts of the story flow naturally from those differences. Various sci-fi menaces lend themselves extremely well to metaphors that even inept writers can manage. The Rebel Flesh / The Also People, for example, got brought up recently and while I don't think it's a very good episode, it has to try and engage with the idea of what it means to be human just by virtue of its premise.

Now if you want Andor's influence on DW to be More Good Writers and Good Actors and Good Music and Also There's More of It, I'm in total agreement.

EDIT: Regarding Imperial cosplay, the idea does kind of make me uncomfortable but I do think that for most people it's kind of harmless. The costumes are clearly inspired by Nazi Germany, especially the officer uniforms, and Nazi uniforms were specifically designed to make the people who wore them look cool and badass (somehow Hugo Boss still exists). So if you're dressed as a stormtrooper you are at least a level removed from actual fascist regalia, in the same way that Daleks are not hate symbols because they don't actually exist.

Hmm, if only there were a story about our tendency to uphold scary fascist monsters as silly enemies and how it could poison our psyches...

Rochallor fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 15, 2023

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

LividLiquid posted:

I maintain that even if it was accidental, The Force Awakens was actually pretty timely given that it was about neofascists trying to resurrect the fascist/imperial glory they were too young to really reap the benefits of, while the real-world equivalents were doing the same thing and ironically making TFW itself a flashpoint and rallying cry for their ideology (woman Jedi!!! Blackitty black guy!! Little white cuck ball!!!!).

Not that I would give JJA credit for any of it (except to the extent that Kylo Ren was obviously intended as a parody of the lovely side of SW fandom that shares significant overlap with the alt-right).

McGann
May 19, 2003

Rochallor posted:

Now if you want Andor's influence on DW to be More Good Writers and Good Actors and Good Music and Also There's More of It, I'm in total agreement.

All I really meant was a prestige level "serious and could run on HBO" style filming/show. Absolutely no limits on the actual premise, they just have to actually try to say something and do it with style.

I can fully get behind the Paul McGann with Jacobi showing up. The audios were fun, lets do it with higher quality VFX and get really loving weird with this time war stuff. Though as mentioned, a Skaro series could be fun - but I fear it would suffer from the same end as the BSG spin off Caprica (too far removed and not good enough to stand on its own).

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

McGann posted:

All I really meant was a prestige level "serious and could run on HBO" style filming/show. Absolutely no limits on the actual premise, they just have to actually try to say something and do it with style.

I can fully get behind the Paul McGann with Jacobi showing up. The audios were fun, lets do it with higher quality VFX and get really loving weird with this time war stuff. Though as mentioned, a Skaro series could be fun - but I fear it would suffer from the same end as the BSG spin off Caprica (too far removed and not good enough to stand on its own).

Could do what Series 9 (and Andor) did, by having sets of 2-3 episodes telling a focused story, with some connecting tissue stringing the whole thing together (insomuch as one could could consider the Hybrid thing as connective tissue (see also, "Timeless Child" and "Flux")

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

I don’t know, people dress up/cosplay as villains all the time and I don’t think that reflects on their moral values. If someone built a Dalek costume, I don’t think that would make them facist either.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
The one confusing thing for me about storm trooper cosplayers is they have a big organisation that's named after the battalion who's major thing is killing all the jedi children.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Trap sprung, I guess, but the 501st was a cosplay org before any of the prequels. The troopers who murder children were named after them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I think it’s extremely silly to get into an elevator with a cosplayer and suddenly worry whether or not they’re a literal fascist, but that’s just me.

The 501st just like to dress up and make props. There are Rebel and Mando equivalents as well, and while you probably don’t want to ask their opinions on Star Wars itself, I’m sure 99.9% of them are just harmless dorks. It’s easy to overlook how many fans are simply in it for the visuals and surface level storytelling. Liking the design of a fictional sci-fi movie costume doesn’t make you a literal nazi.

Do you also worry about cosplayers who dress up as Daleks or Davros?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
My username is taken from Mobile Suit Gundam as one of the many pseudonyms of Char Aznable, and he was affiliated with the Principality of Zeon (he later defected and became a good guy). There are plenty of Goons here with the word 'Darth' in their username. Sometimes we just like to pretend to be villains because you can be the person you're not.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Coward posted:

Trap sprung, I guess, but the 501st was a cosplay org before any of the prequels. The troopers who murder children were named after them.

Oh okay lol, that's good to know, thanks!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Stormtrooper has got to be the worst name for a space marine in shiny white armor that shoots a red laserbolt. I get why they're actually called that and can think of a generic in-universe "troops storm in" type reasoning for it, but I just can't respect it. Even sticking to clouds and weather there are better names. Snowtroopers and Sandtroopers got it right.

Cyberman, now that's a good, proper name for evil troops that don't diminish the terror of their intrusion by dosing everyone with disappointment from a misleading group name.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Nah see they're called stormtroopers because they're the successors to the clone troopers, who came from Kamino

where it storms

All the time

Laugh, please

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Vinylshadow posted:

Nah see they're called stormtroopers because they're the successors to the clone troopers, who came from Kamino

where it storms

All the time

Laugh, please

This is as good as how in 40k Land Raiders are called that because the template for them was discovered by a guy called Arkhan Land.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
In FFXIV guns are named after someone called Gunnhildr.

The best part is that this is also true in reality, probably.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hmm, not crazy about the blue floor on the TARDIS, and then the Dalek city too.

https://twitter.com/dwpages/status/1724676920678257066

McGann
May 19, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think it’s extremely silly to get into an elevator with a cosplayer and suddenly worry whether or not they’re a literal fascist, but that’s just me.

Let me first say, I am not attacking you here - I have this same initial reaction and understand why you would.

While I agree on principle that it's silly and ridiculous and I hate that we're here...but given LividLiquid's statement that they were early in transition, and the current state of American (I assume based on this story, but we're leeching our poison out into the world at an alarming rate here too..) politics made TOTAL sense to me. Any person in transition is going to be HYPER AWARE of any potential threats - and fascist sympathizers are a huge threat lately, unfortunately. So any potential dog whistle is just a bomb that may or may not be armed, basically.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm a straight white male from the midwestern USA who only tries his best, lol, but it's NOT a perspective I have to draw upon (fortunately, but unfortunate I have to try to see things from this perspective as well).

It's not that anyone is saying "people cosplaying as bad guys are bad" but that there are some extreme examples out there and those particular examples are SO HORRIBLE and potentially DANGEROUS that it has colored everything it touches.

But the most important point here is that ya'll have reminded me I never finished Andor, due to getting distracted. I finished the first mission Arc and need to pick it up and across the finish line...but I also don't want to run out of Andor lol.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Friend-o, every time I leave the house I have to wonder if today's the day I don't come back. I have to assess the level of danger every time I enter a room or interact with a stranger.

Trans people are a huge target right now. I didn't think, "this guy's definitely a nazi." I just prepared for the possibility that he might be.

Women have to wonder how much danger we're in every time we're alone with a man. This man was dressed as a nazi and I'm trans. It makes that worse.

McGann posted:

While I agree on principle that it's silly and ridiculous and I hate that we're here...but given LividLiquid's statement that they were early in transition, and the current state of American (I assume based on this story, but we're leeching our poison out into the world at an alarming rate here too..) politics made TOTAL sense to me. Any person in transition is going to be HYPER AWARE of any potential threats - and fascist sympathizers are a huge threat lately, unfortunately. So any potential dog whistle is just a bomb that may or may not be armed, basically
Exactly this, yes. Thank you.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Hmm, not crazy about the blue floor on the TARDIS, and then the Dalek city too.

https://twitter.com/dwpages/status/1724676920678257066

I assume this is based on photos of how the sets were painted? If so It's like seeing colour photos of the Addams Family house.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Senor Tron posted:

I assume this is based on photos of how the sets were painted? If so It's like seeing colour photos of the Addams Family house.

I don't think that's necessarily true. A lot of the way sets were painted in those days was specifically to do with how they would show up on B&W cameras of the time. For example, the TARDIS console was light green, because white would reflect too much light and cause the picture to flare.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Not a big fan of colorizations in general, but I think those pictures look pretty similar to the movie version. It's a little garish but that’s what it would have looked like at the time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I remember thinking how amazing the color photos of The War Games sets were, it was the first time I really grasped that they had to use colors like this to make the black and white actually look like it should on television.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

LividLiquid posted:

Friend-o, every time I leave the house I have to wonder if today's the day I don't come back. I have to assess the level of danger every time I enter a room or interact with a stranger.

Trans people are a huge target right now. I didn't think, "this guy's definitely a nazi." I just prepared for the possibility that he might be.

Women have to wonder how much danger we're in every time we're alone with a man. This man was dressed as a nazi and I'm trans. It makes that worse.

Exactly this, yes. Thank you.

My genuine apologies then, I hadn’t considered that perspective.

Jerusalem posted:

I remember thinking how amazing the color photos of The War Games sets were, it was the first time I really grasped that they had to use colors like this to make the black and white actually look like it should on television.

I always find this kind of thing fascinating. Every now and then a modern movie or show will do a black & white cut/conversion for a special edition or release and it rarely ever works. Presumably because it’s missing this kind of intentional garishness just to get every shade of color to look “right” in grayscale.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Never gave it much thought but makes sense, working on an all greyscale space would be a nightmare.

On the other hand, a room or bathroom painted and decorated as if it were a black and world white might be fun.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
This video convinced me to not bother travelling to medieval Europe if I'm not with a psychic demigod alien and their spaceship and magic wand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aSdFrPnlRg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I always find this kind of thing fascinating. Every now and then a modern movie or show will do a black & white cut/conversion for a special edition or release and it rarely ever works. Presumably because it’s missing this kind of intentional garishness just to get every shade of color to look “right” in grayscale.

Proper black and white photography is a lot more complicated than taking your digital footage and cranking down the saturation. But a lot of modern "black and white" films are just that and it looks awful. If you want to see it done right, look at The Lighthouse which put in the hard work of doing it right and it looks amazing.