Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Trees are height 2.5, so you can shoot over them if you're up high enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
So... everyone gangs up on the Sentinel?

Ooof, is he going to have a bad time. No zellbrigen here!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

QKD jumping to 0820, i'll be able to either do some fire support or fight the sentinel next turn

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That sentinel is screwed

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Slavvy posted:

That sentinel is screwed

The parallels between this and the other thread are getting out of hand.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I am enjoying that both threads are on cozy winter maps now. Feels very appropriate as it gets cold where I am.

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
Marauder
Taking the quickdraw's spot in 0924 facing 0923. Up in two more.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I believe I can turn and run to 0626, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.

CirclMastr posted:

You can get to 0627 with 1mp left. Would need 2 more to get to 0626, but next turn you can do it and continue to 0625.

EDIT: Orders submitted.

Farseli fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 14, 2023

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

CirclMastr posted:

Farseli is correct - you don't have enough MP to reach 0626, but you can get to 0627 this turn and then move up to 0625 next turn.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Scintilla posted:

Farseli is correct - you don't have enough MP to reach 0626, but you can get to 0627 this turn and then move up to 0625 next turn.

Alright, order submitted.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Snow_Scar_[3901]: Turn 2

A dull crash echoed through the woods as Kai-xi’s Quickdraw plunged through the snow-dusted treetops. Branches whipped at his cockpit canopy, and heavy bows splintered and broke beneath his mech’s bulk. The trees were of sturdy alpine stock, with thick trunks and deep roots that allowed them to withstand the freezing winds that regularly gusted down the ravine, but they were no match for his sixty-ton war machine. Seeing the ground rise up to meet him, Kai-xi feathered his jets to cushion his landing. He came down in a thicket of hardy arctic brambles, flattening most of it under his mech’s slab-like feet. The broken remains began to smoulder and smoke as the heat of his exhaust touched them, but the flames quickly fizzled out, smothered by snowmelt and the cold winds blowing through the trees.

Although he’d hardly had a chance to test it out yet, Kai-xi decided that he liked the Quickdraw. The design was unexpectedly nimble, and handled more like a medium than a heavy. Mike had whinged at him for tinkering with its weapons a little, but then, Mike whinged about everything. Its armour was also somewhat lacking, but that wasn’t a problem. This time Kai-xi was twice-blessed – fate would shield him as usual, but even if it did not, this was merely a simulation, an electric dream magicked up by an ancient computer. A loss here would have no impact on his destined rise to the pinnacle of skill and renown.

A smirk crept across Kai-xi’s lips as he checked his Quickdraw’s thermal sensors. The Fusiliers clearly hadn’t cottoned on to their strategy yet. The bulk of their forces were still making their way down the ravine, oblivious to the fact that Ruby Lance was about to claim the high ground. He traced the enemy Commando’s progress, tracking it with his crosshairs as it bounded across the frozen ground. None of his weapons acquired a lock, but that was fine. He could be patient when he needed to be, and besides, holding back now would make the eventual chaos all the sweeter.

Weapons fire for Dervish DV-6M (Player):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Marauder MAD-3R (Player):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Quickdraw QKD-4Gr (Player):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Thunderbolt TDR-5S (Player):
-Holds fire!

--

Weapons fire for Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Hornet HNT-152 (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

No melee attacks this turn!

Subtracting 2 heat from all units due to Arctic Conditions…

Dervish DV-6M (Player) gains 3 heat, sinks 3 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Marauder MAD-3R (Player) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Quickdraw QKD-4Gr (Player) gains 2 heat, sinks 2 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Thunderbolt TDR-5S (Player) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

--

Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Hornet HNT-152 (Fusiliers) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers) gains 3 heat, sinks 3 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Hornet HNT-152 (Fusiliers) moves evasively!

Player Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Toughness: Grants bonus to consciousness rolls.
-Evasive Action: By forfeiting the right to fire during the shooting phase, the pilot gains the ability to move evasively, inflicting an additional +1 penalty against incoming weapons fire and physical attacks. The unit must use its Running MP, have undamaged hips, and will gain an extra +2 heat at the end of the round.

Relevant Design Quirks:
-Hyper-Extending Actuators: The mech can reverse its arms as if it lacked Hand and Lower Arm Actuators.
-Multi-Trac: The mech does not suffer the usual penalties when splitting fire between multiple targets.
-Narrow Profile: The mech takes less damage from incoming weapons fire if the margin of success is +1 or lower. Direct fire weapons deal half damage, while cluster attacks receive a -4 penalty when determining the number of hits.

--

Primary Objectives:
-Ruby Lance reaches the Northern Map Border (0/4)

Secondary Objectives:
-Destroy at least three Fusilier battlemechs (0/3) (100,000 C-Bill reward)
-Destroy all six Fusilier battlemechs (0/6) (200,000 C-Bill reward)

--

Next Orders Due: Saturday 18th 9:00PM GMT.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Is there LOS on the sentinel from 0719 or 0722?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

AJ_Impy posted:

Is there LOS on the sentinel from 0719 or 0722?

0719 has LOS, but you'll have a to-hit of 13. 0722 has no LOS at all.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Thoughts, people? Close in on the Sentinel, or aim more for the objective?

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

AJ_Impy posted:

Thoughts, people? Close in on the Sentinel, or aim more for the objective?

You probably want to move the Dervish up to where the Quickdraw is now at 0820, facing Northwest. This still lets you torso twist right in case anyone is dumb enough to walk on the bridge and blast it out from under them, while sets you up to deal with the Sentinel next turn. The Quickdraw probably should jump to the trees to the right to setup for the Sentinel.

The more mobile units don't need to rush the objective. They can get there easily compared to the slower, ground bound units. So you're free to engage enemies that will threaten the slow units progress North, like the Sentinel. Just don't fall too far behind.

Are skidding rules in play? If so don't forget that if you're Running and turn on a road hex and move out, that's a skid check. You don't want this.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Amechwarrior posted:

Are skidding rules in play? If so don't forget that if you're Running and turn on a road hex and move out, that's a skid check. You don't want this.

Skidding rules are in play, so yes, watch out for that.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I don't know if this will work or not. But assuming that the Wolverine tries to run across the bridge, you guys could get spicy and shoot the bridge out from under them. Outside of that, my only real suggestion is to try and consolidate your strength for now. Splitting up or letting them leverage their numbers advantage can only go poorly for you

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

glwgameplayer posted:

I don't know if this will work or not. But assuming that the Wolverine tries to run across the bridge, you guys could get spicy and shoot the bridge out from under them. Outside of that, my only real suggestion is to try and consolidate your strength for now. Splitting up or letting them leverage their numbers advantage can only go poorly for you

It is in the realm of possibility, for sure. The Wolverine running straight across the bridge from 2013 can only get to 1217 next turn. That's still on the bridge and 4 levels up. That bridge is 100% a trap.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

double-checking my understanding: does min range 6 on my LRMs mean i start taking a penalty at 5 tiles distance, or at 6? is my sweet spot for LRMs at 6-7 range, or at exactly 7?

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

biosterous posted:

double-checking my understanding: does min range 6 on my LRMs mean i start taking a penalty at 5 tiles distance, or at 6? is my sweet spot for LRMs at 6-7 range, or at exactly 7?

I plan around LRMs in my head as being a +2 all the time from 5-12 hexes. If I'm at 6 (+1) or 7 (+0) hexes that's gravy.

To answer more directly, yes, the min range penalty starts at 6 hexes.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Fortunately, the Dervish's launchers are hot loaded so it's got no minimum range... at the cost of a mini ammo explosion if the launcher gets crit (with a chance for that to cascade into an ammo bin). That'll be a nasty surprise for recruits looking to get in close where all they'd normally have to worry about is the firepower equivalent of two Wasps.

That doesn't help the Quickdraw, but the Quickdraw's got better weapons to use at short ranges.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PoptartsNinja posted:

Fortunately, the Dervish's launchers are hot loaded so it's got no minimum range... at the cost of a mini ammo explosion if the launcher gets crit (with a chance for that to cascade into an ammo bin). That'll be a nasty surprise for recruits looking to get in close where all they'd normally have to worry about is the firepower equivalent of two Wasps.

That doesn't help the Quickdraw, but the Quickdraw's got better weapons to use at short ranges.

Is that only for the first shot, or for the entire fight?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Volmarias posted:

Is that only for the first shot, or for the entire fight?

Entire fight. A clan LRM for the low low cost of don't get a weapon crit.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

God I want to see the Wolverine eat a fall from that bridge so badly.

Fusiliers are being awfully aggressive for a defending force here - depending on how the next few turns shake out, if the players aren't looking to sweep the bonuses they might be able to book it.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

aniviron posted:

God I want to see the Wolverine eat a fall from that bridge so badly.

Fusiliers are being awfully aggressive for a defending force here - depending on how the next few turns shake out, if the players aren't looking to sweep the bonuses they might be able to book it.

To be fair, they're quite a bit more mobile than us so they can afford to. At least somewhat

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Oh, is it about to go down? Because it looks like it's about to go down.

Focus fire on one, and then move your way along the lance, smashing them all!

Blood! Blood and skulls!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Once again hoping for confirmation before submitting orders. I believe I can run up to 0625 and turn to face 0525 this turn, is that correct?

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

CirclMastr posted:

Once again hoping for confirmation before submitting orders. I believe I can run up to 0625 and turn to face 0525 this turn, is that correct?

Absolutely. Entering 0626 is 3mp, 0625 is 2mp (5 total), leaving you with one more to turn to face 0525.

I'm entering 0923 for 3mp (yay rough terrain up a hill), turning to 1022 for 1mp, and entering 1022 for my last 2mp.

Next turn we'll be topside. I wonder where the Sentinel will be when we are.

EDIT: Orders Submitted

Farseli fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 17, 2023

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i think i will jump into the heavy woods in 0523 - should make it impossible to the sentinel to hit with its large laser. thoughts?

also, would it be possible to hit the sentinel with my LRMs from there? i'm not going to bother because i think it would be 11+ or 12 to hit, i just want to check my math

4 gunnery, 3 for jumping, 3 target movement, 0 for short range (exactly 7 tiles, no minrange penalty), 1 for the woods adjacent to me, possibly 1 for the woods in 0320? i am still v shaky on LOS too

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Claiming 0820 facing NW, orders in.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

biosterous posted:

i think i will jump into the heavy woods in 0523 - should make it impossible to the sentinel to hit with its large laser. thoughts?

also, would it be possible to hit the sentinel with my LRMs from there? i'm not going to bother because i think it would be 11+ or 12 to hit, i just want to check my math

4 gunnery, 3 for jumping, 3 target movement, 0 for short range (exactly 7 tiles, no minrange penalty), 1 for the woods adjacent to me, possibly 1 for the woods in 0320? i am still v shaky on LOS too

You'll have LOS from 0523, but your LRMs will be hitting on 12s.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Orders in.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

orders in!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

My first test model for a Sterling & Sable paint scheme did not go well.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I actually made an attempt myself several months ago. It did not go well either.

I had never painted battletech models before, so I used the enamel paints I normally use for my airfix modelling. Unfortunately my brushwork is still pretty shoddy and I didn't thin the paints enough so a lot of the finer details wound up getting obliterated. As you can see I gave up after putting the black on the Jenner.

It's pretty bad but at least you can kind of see what I was going for with the alternating black / white colour scheme.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

My best suggestion for painting half n half is basing it with one of the colours, and then using masking tape you cover off one side and apply the second colour.
Although painting white is also kind of tricky I'll admit.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

My problem was that I based it off in one metallic paint, and when I tried to apply a darker paint over the top of part of the model, it didn't actually cover like a normal paint. It acted more like a wash, just shading some recesses.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I defy you to spot which half is supposed to be which.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CirclMastr posted:

I defy you to spot which half is supposed to be which.

that might not have been the desired effect but does look pretty cool regardless!