Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

blue squares posted:

Awesome!! What’s going on with the last one?

Thanks.

It's a fancy ceiling with fancy lamp shades at the local library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

love these, first 2 especially!

slowly getting round to editing some pics from Seoul, these are some of my favourites taken with a zoom from the 120th floor

e: seeing them all together the editing is still hit and miss fml

this but taking pictures/editing them

field balm fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 11, 2023

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
those rock

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Love the city shots from high above. It's mundane (in a good way) and with satisfying patterns and details.

River after heavy rain

I've been struggling a little lately with disapointment at my own shots and processing-paralisys. With very little free time and even less daylight hours it hurt like hell to come back from an 8 hour hike only to be faced with a load of badly exposed or unfocused photos. This took hours of finagling, and while I'm somewhat happy with it now it really doesn't do the scene justice.
The lesson is to not always chase the next shot, but instead take my time with and focus on the moment at hand.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

field balm posted:

love these, first 2 especially!

slowly getting round to editing some pics from Seoul, these are some of my favourites taken with a zoom from the 120th floor

e: seeing them all together the editing is still hit and miss fml

this but taking pictures/editing them

Very good stuff. I think you nailed the edits. I could stare at each of these for a while (and have!) and imagine so many stories going on, or notice little details that stand out. I would love to be able to take some photos like this on my next trip, but it can be really hard to find a place with such a view that has public access

313A9121 by bluesquares, on Flickr

blue squares fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 11, 2023

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

field balm posted:

these are cool

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

hey thanks for all the kind words!

blue squares posted:

I would love to be able to take some photos like this on my next trip, but it can be really hard to find a place with such a view that has public access

I feel like most big cities have some sort of giant building with a viewing deck, one of my favourite tourist things to do really! These were taken from the viewing deck in the Seoul Sky building, hard to tell but theyre through like several inch thick glass while being jostled by all the tourists up there, there were a bunch that didn't focus properly or had wierd reflections etc.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This is lovely. The inclusion of the tangled electrical cables in the top right, along with that one bit that looks bright white, makes it look as though electricity has arced to the tree and the shadow is caused by a bright directional flash. Even though that makes no sense logically, it's what I see and part of why I like this.

Edit: oh I just realized that same pattern appears in every frame. Oh well, I’ll let my imagination win on this one. It’s a great photo in any case! I like shadows like that

313A9091 by bluesquares, on Flickr

313A9092 by bluesquares, on Flickr

313A9093 by bluesquares, on Flickr

blue squares fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 12, 2023

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

blue squares posted:

This is lovely. The inclusion of the tangled electrical cables in the top right, along with that one bit that looks bright white, makes it look as though electricity has arced to the tree and the shadow is caused by a bright directional flash. Even though that makes no sense logically, it's what I see and part of why I like this.

Edit: oh I just realized that same pattern appears in every frame. Oh well, I’ll let my imagination win on this one. It’s a great photo in any case! I like shadows like that

Yeah that's felt strands from the home made 16mm cartridge. Thanks!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

This one rocks!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

i love this

i also love this

eggsovereasy posted:

these are cool

this set is also awesome. it feels like it's practically the town i live in, but slightly different.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 14, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

for some reason this is way higher contrast in chrome than it is in LR, so pretend it's not as harsh (especially on the left highlights)

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

for some reason this is way higher contrast in chrome than it is in LR, so pretend it's not as harsh (especially on the left highlights)

I don’t know where I am supposed to look in this photo. There’s no real subject or visual hierarchy guiding me to the main point of interest. What do you want me to feel or to take away from this shot? Why post this one instead of any of the others that you (presumably) took during this session?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I did last time I posted some NYC shots :v: but I kept coming back to this one and trying to make it work because I like the light and overall cscene. Though now looking at it the street being off center is bugging me.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This is a very quick-and-dirty edit but what I did was narrow the frame (obviously) so that the leading lines were right in the center, bringing attention to the cars where you have the great color combination. Then I used masking to darken the top of the frame and brighten the bottom.

My cropping choices were tough because I wanted to remove distracting buildings but then I lost the back end of the cop car, which was maybe a wrong choice.

I'd love to get some feedback on this: not the specific technical execution, since I worked from a jpeg and didn't want to spend more than a couple minutes on it (and the editing is a little heavy-handed, I can tell), but rather from an instincts perspective. Do others think I am right to focus on this part of the image, and generally to try to bring more light on the cars versus the buildings? Obviously it is subjective, but I am working on developing my eye for what makes a good subject and the basic techniques for trying to bring the viewer's attention to it

VVVV the below looks way better than anything I did

blue squares fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 14, 2023

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

If you want the central street to be the subject you'd have been better off with a square crop. The street along the bottom grabs my eye and drags it left out of the shot, pulling my attention away from the central street. Also, the trees and buildings in the upper left and right thirds are not very interesting but take up a huge part of your frame. Something like this:

Now you've got the pedestrian crossings leading your eye up the street into the frame.

efb

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 14, 2023

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

Love these two together

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

blue squares posted:

I'd love to get some feedback on this: not the specific technical execution, since I worked from a jpeg and didn't want to spend more than a couple minutes on it (and the editing is a little heavy-handed, I can tell), but rather from an instincts perspective. Do others think I am right to focus on this part of the image, and generally to try to bring more light on the cars versus the buildings? Obviously it is subjective, but I am working on developing my eye for what makes a good subject and the basic techniques for trying to bring the viewer's attention to it

You're definitely on the right track with the crop. I think the highlights in OP's version are fine, if anything I'd boost the shadows a touch rather than darken anything. Overall though I like the way the light sky and buildings mirror the light street, with the darker trees in the middle splitting the lighter areas above and below, creating some vertical symmetry of the light to go with the horizontal symmetry of the geometry, if that makes any sense.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Issue with the NYC photo is the brightest area is the least interesting. Eyes are gonna stick to light.

I don't feel like photo rules are things you're required to follow but if an image gets a bad reaction, it's worth pulling them out to figure out why. I think the overall composition is fine.. but the time of day just isn't doing any favors.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don't think a vertical crop works at all as that leading line is mostly obscured by the trees. I liked the intersecting streets and cars on the horizontal in the scene.

xzzy posted:

Issue with the NYC photo is the brightest area is the least interesting. Eyes are gonna stick to light.

I agree with this, probably needed about 10-15 mins more to let the light even out more.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I honestly like the original framing the most but the light is a bummer.

love this one (shout out cylinders, gotta be one of my favourite shapes)

This one is my favourite from the set. Why is the grain so big? Really old film or something (I dont know poo poo about film photography)? Great look eitherway

These are all amazing to be honest, I didn't even realise they were colour for a couple of minutes. Sublime location

field balm fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 14, 2023

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

this is pretty cool

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

field balm posted:

This one is my favourite from the set. Why is the grain so big? Really old film or something (I dont know poo poo about film photography)? Great look eitherway

It's shot on a little pocket spy camera that takes 16mm film

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

this kinda reminds me of andreas gursky's work in the early 2000s

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm sorry sir you're looking for the landscaping thread.
I like it but I want more shadow definition.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Well you can't have it, as there is none.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Sublime

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Trying to get back into a photography groove.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I love cave photography. Hard though and any kind of tourist one will have a no tripod rule.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Carlsbad will let you use a tripod. Or they did six years ago. NPS loves to change rules as crowds increase.

There's lava tunnels near Bend Oregon that you are free to be a nuisance in as well. Some are managed, some aren't.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Mother of God. This is amazing.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

313A9196 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A9200 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

blue squares fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 16, 2023

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mega Comrade posted:

I love cave photography. Hard though and any kind of tourist one will have a no tripod rule.

Pinnacles technically didn't have one as far as I could tell, but I could hear the crowds coming behind me so I had to take the shot quick. Luckily there was a rock I could use to steady myself a bit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006