Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

peanut posted:

GBS and BYOB secret santa signups are active

what about fyad :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

Areola Grande posted:

the only downside is it's a lot more difficult getting trashed with this thing on my head

:thumbsdown:

You could get virtually trashed, though.

Barking Gecko

peanut posted:

GBS and BYOB secret santa signups are active

also YOSPOS

Areola Grande posted:

what about fyad :confused:

apparently not?

Visions of Valerie

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

nesamdoom posted:

That's cool. A decent cookie is way better than no cookie.

Areola Grande

tonight I will drink twenty beers. :haibrow:

pictured is beer #2 of the night so far

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

RavenousScoot

Areola Grande posted:

pictured is beer #2 of the night so far

that looks promising

*breaks oversized in case of emergency glass and pulls out a 30 rack*
throwin back some emergency pbrs
🍺:balldo:🍺

THANK YOU NESAM :^))
Previous:

code:
https://i.imgur.com/1rh8sdW.mp4 - manifisto
https://i.imgur.com/DeyYjwj.mp4 - vanisher
Visions of Valerie

Areola Grande posted:

*Nathan Explosion voice* I'm gonna need twenty beers

Areola Grande

RavenousScoot posted:

that looks promising

*breaks oversized in case of emergency glass and pulls out a 30 rack*
throwin back some emergency pbrs
🍺:balldo:🍺

ain't nothing wrong w/ suckin a peeber or twenty

:hfive:

Escape From Noise

I really want to make a doppelbock, but I'd have to tie up a tank for 4 months and if I made it as soon as possible it would be ready in April.

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Areola Grande

Escape From Noise posted:

I really want to make a doppelbock, but I'd have to tie up a tank for 4 months and if I made it as soon as possible it would be ready in April.

what does double decocted mean :confused:

Papa Was A Video Toaster

you take the coct out, twice

Escape From Noise

Areola Grande posted:

what does double decocted mean :confused:

So basically you have 3 types of mashing (mashing is mixing the malt with warm or hot water and letting it sit for a certain amount of time): infusion, step, and decoction.

1. Infusion mashing. This is most common in traditional British ales. You simply heat up your water, add it to the mash tun, mix in grain, and let it infuse. Usually for about an hour. For this reason most traditional British brew houses have jacketed, but not heated mash tuns. The only way to heat the mash in these setups is adding more hot water so you can't add much.

2. Step mashing. This is arguably the most commonly used. It's used a lot in European and more modern styles. It requires a heated mash tun which is much easier and cheaper than it once was and allows for more flexibility. Usually you start the mash at a lower temperature, say 40℃, then slowly heat it up in steps (30 minutes at 40℃, 15 minutes at 50℃, etc.). This allows you to extract things like proteins that help with foam retention, fermentability, etc.

3. Decoction mashing. This is a special kind of mashing that requires a purpose built brewhouse. Basically you're still doing a sort of step mash, but in this case instead of raising the temperature of the mash as a whole at the same time, a portion of the mash (usually about a third IIRC) is pulled off into another tun with a mixing arm to prevent scorching, heated to a boil, then pumped back into the main mash tun, raising the overall temperature of the mash. You don't boil the entire mash because that risks tannins being released from the husks. But this high heat allows for much greater conversation during fermentation leading to a dryer beer, which is very desirable for lagers. So it's commonly used for making German lagers.

Double decoction means they did that step twice during the mashing process.

Visions of Valerie

Escape From Noise posted:

3. Decoction mashing. This is a special kind of mashing that requires a purpose built brewhouse. Basically you're still doing a sort of step mash, but in this case instead of raising the temperature of the mash as a whole at the same time, a portion of the mash (usually about a third IIRC) is pulled off into another tun with a mixing arm to prevent scorching, heated to a boil, then pumped back into the main mash tun, raising the overall temperature of the mash. You don't boil the entire mash because that risks tannins being released from the husks. But this high heat allows for much greater conversation during fermentation leading to a dryer beer, which is very desirable for lagers. So it's commonly used for making German lagers.

Some brewers think this leads to more complexity due to increased heat on the sugars in the decocted portion. This seems unlikely to me since it wouldn't be raised close to carmelization temperatures, but they make way better beer than I ever did, so... eh.

Escape From Noise

Visions of Valerie posted:

Some brewers think this leads to more complexity due to increased heat on the sugars in the decocted portion. This seems unlikely to me since it wouldn't be raised close to carmelization temperatures, but they make way better beer than I ever did, so... eh.

Yeah. If you have any insights go ahead. I'm not super well versed. I'm also not super knowledgeable about the science. I know a lot of American brewers will claim decoction mashing isn't necessary because malt today is already so well converted, but the lagers I've had from people who claim that also haven't been great. Then again I'm a bit of a traditionalist. I wish I could decoction mash but I just have a lovely two vessel setup. I think my Vienna lager is decent but not so sure about my pils.

Areola Grande

sounds like a lot of work

Areola Grande

5 beers down only fifteen to go 💪🍺

Escape From Noise

Areola Grande posted:

sounds like a lot of work

Yeah. That's why they're bragging about it on the label.

more falafel please

forums poster

so at the homebrew scale decoction is relatively easier because you just need another pot and another burner and you probably have those in your cabinet and stove respectively.

my understanding is that it serves a couple purposes:

1) before accurate thermometers were available you couldn't really measure temperature, but you could know that water-based liquids boil around 100C and can't get much hotter than that, assuming vaguely sea-level altitude. this means you can increase the temperature of a mash by taking some measured amount (way easier to measure volume than temperature) and boiling it and adding it back in. no longer necessary because we have thermometers

2) malt used to be pretty bad in terms of how convertible (you need to convert from the starches in the barleycorns into sugars). doing these decoctions is effectively like making oatmeal with the mash and helps convert more of the starches into sugars which become alcohol. not really necessary anymore, at least in mashes that are made up of mostly malted grains (95% or more of them). plus we can just add enzymes directly now if you really need to, distillers do that.

3) you get some Maillard reaction products (or maybe caramelization? idk, chemistry gets weird) from boiling the thick mash (the part you pulled out) so you get more toasty, deep, complex maltiness out of the same malt

thing is we're really good at toasting malt to different levels when we kiln it now, so you can get those same flavors by using some toasted malt in the 25-50 lovibond range like aromatic or biscuit or victory or the list goes on, without a major color change

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

more falafel please

forums poster

anyway hi tc I had a date with a hot girl with a side shave and we made out after a few beers so I'm feeling pretty fuckin good

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Areola Grande

:psyduck:

Escape From Noise

more falafel please posted:

anyway hi tc I had a date with a hot girl with a side shave and we made out after a few beers so I'm feeling pretty fuckin good

Dang. Jealous.

Escape From Noise

I had beers with a poster and it was a lot of fun.

peanut

i was that poster and confirm tke beers and fun

Escape From Noise

Having some middling to bad IPAs from some brewery in Miyazaki. It was either that or smoothie sours or NEIPA from Sweden (the country of truly cursed craft beer). The grapefruit IPA barely has any flavor other than DMS. I had to give up on it.

RavenousScoot

beers in, beers out, namaste

Previous:

code:
hark

I'm sleep
decoct, like reverse of concoct?

also goddamn I wish my work would throw work parties on Fridays instead of weekdays. I gotta WORK tomorrow morning and I've had like 6 drinks. at least I'm staying clocked in for that 12 hour day worth of hours 💪🏽💪🏽💪🏽

Barking Gecko

Trashed Crew: start early, finish strong

RavenousScoot

Barking Gecko posted:

Trashed Crew: start early, finish strong

chuggin dutifully captain :sign::guinness:

Previous:

code:
Barking Gecko

RavenousScoot posted:

chuggin dutifully captain :sign::guinness:

:beerpal:

Keep up the good work.

Areola Grande

staying late again at work so I'll see u orbs in 3 hours

RavenousScoot

Areola Grande posted:

staying late again at work so I'll see u orbs in 3 hours

everyone whose bud you tend mong if you will depends on you to get trashed, you're an essential worker and we trash in your honor

*crax beerb :rubshands:*

Previous:

code:
Areola Grande

RavenousScoot posted:

everyone whose bud you tend mong if you will depends on you to get trashed, you're an essential worker and we trash in your honor

*crax beerb :rubshands:*

:patriot:

Barking Gecko

:zpatriot:

Areola Grande

I'm late to the party so I'm taking HARD and FAST :rice:

Zoya

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

:goatdrugs:

thank you snuff melange for the beautiful winter siggy~!

Areola Grande

:horsedrugs:

Areola Grande

ball's in ur court :smuggo:

Barking Gecko

:crabdrugs:

Areola Grande