Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
All anime is woke now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/JuJutsuKaisen/comments/17vairi/jujutsu_kaisen_production_meltdown_continues/

Thread on reddit listing social media posts of mappa workers at the end of their line. Mappa seems to have really run its course

Dang. I would like to see a bunch of animators just refuse to work on that due to exhaustion and delay the show. Demand still seems so high overall for anime so I don't know if it would hurt their careers much, but what do I know.

I'm nearly finished watching the anime Sonny Boy, which is (maybe) great show that is extremely hostile to its viewers. If you fancy yourself intelligent and enjoy thought experiments I recommend giving the first few episodes a try. I can't really keep up with what its trying to say all the time but it's at least comprehensible enough that I'm going to complete it.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Buck Wildman posted:

what's the change

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...-system/.192250

Seems like a system where animation companies pass their tax responsibility onto freelancers while getting a tax deduction for themselves.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

All anime is woke now

If it were woke everybody and their mother wouldn't be a literal loving child

Imagine trying to explain to the Boomers who run that industry that no 12 year old consumes their product anymore, especially in a country that has almost no children left. Like no poo poo I firmly believe JJK's/Demon Slayers/MHA's main audience is college aged African American women (PoCs in general but ESPECIALLY young women of color) but :lol: at trying to convince anyone at Shogakukan to capitalize on this clearly growing Consumer Base

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Buck Wildman posted:

what's the change

You have to be formally incorporated and submit a tracked invoice, or it's considered an over-the-counter sale subject to sales tax, and of course to be formally incorporated you need all the info on file of the "all contacts - my lawyer in the bahamas, po box 666 Nassau" type except you're probably making $20-$30k and don't have a lawyer so it's just your real name and home address for antis to have fun with.

In other words, very stupid but also very Galapagos at the same time.

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

Imagine trying to explain to the Boomers who run that industry that no 12 year old consumes their product anymore, especially in a country that has almost no children left. Like no poo poo I firmly believe JJK's/Demon Slayers/MHA's main audience is college aged African American women (PoCs in general but ESPECIALLY young women of color) but :lol: at trying to convince anyone at Shogakukan to capitalize on this clearly growing Consumer Base

You'd be extremely surprised at how many teens there are, and how valuable even "didn't even bother with the blurays but at least bought all the comics" is vis-a-vis "2000 separate production committees have a claim on that CR $8/mo".
Not that it's not extremely dumb to not notice they're there as well, and try to figure out a monetization that isn't one of "whales only" or "interest rates are still low, right, guys?".

Mandoric has issued a correction as of 05:26 on Nov 15, 2023

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

it is so crazy how Japanese companies treat their foreign branches like absolute poo poo and leave them hanging out to dry. I think a lot about how Square-Enix will fund the stupidest ideas from Japanese companies that crash and burn instantly but absolutely slaughtered Tomb Raider and Deus Ex for not selling Call of Duty numbers.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Ccs posted:

I'm nearly finished watching the anime Sonny Boy, which is (maybe) great show that is extremely hostile to its viewers. If you fancy yourself intelligent and enjoy thought experiments I recommend giving the first few episodes a try. I can't really keep up with what its trying to say all the time but it's at least comprehensible enough that I'm going to complete it.

That show was very good and the vibes were strong

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

they should make more ippo anime it will save them financially

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The other maapa, dude

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Whirling posted:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...-system/.192250

Seems like a system where animation companies pass their tax responsibility onto freelancers while getting a tax deduction for themselves.

"why does nobody in our country want to work, anyway time to stamp the boot again"

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Also while Yuri is a terrible part of Spy X Family and should be thrown into the sun, I will give the show endless credit for the episodes where Anya and her friend go clothes shopping and the more recent episode where Yor gets shot in the butt

I was fully prepared for each of them to be where things got wierd and gross like 99% of anime would do, but it was wholesome silly fun. Yuri sticks out like a sore thumb with how lovely he is compared to the rest of the show

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

HootTheOwl posted:

The other maapa, dude

:lmao:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah it's a real case of him seeming even worse because of how good the show is otherwise, because when it comes to the scale of terrible poo poo in anime 'dude who's down bad for his parental substitute sister' is sadly pretty mid-low level, even if he is also a gestapo officer.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Whirling posted:

I wish Yor's brother would die, he's the worst character on the show.

Yeah agreed, he's absolutely the worst part of the show whenever he is on screen.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Y'all mad that the antagonist in a spy thriller is a bad guy who sucks. Perverted villains aren't even a rarity in espionage literature.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
haven't read the series in question but i feel like it's possible to create a good spy fiction villain whose main character traits aren't "is a huge rear end in a top hat" and "wants to gently caress his sister"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cerebral Bore posted:

haven't read the series in question but i feel like it's possible to create a good spy fiction villain whose main character traits aren't "is a huge rear end in a top hat" and "wants to gently caress his sister"

Those are the traits of fascists.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cerebral Bore posted:

it’s spy fiction but it’s primarily a comedy so yuri is written to be as pathetic as humanly possible for laughs

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Ohtori Akio posted:

if you're ever frustrated by the low-rent state of anime today, remedy that by watching Kimi no koto ga Dai Dai Dai Dai Daisuki na 100-nin no Kanojo

Augus posted:

i challenge you to recommend that anime while saying its full title in English

Ohtori Akio posted:

i whole-heartedly recommend high-brow and thoughtful animated program The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

genericnick posted:

Also watched Paprika for the first time. It's good.

i rewatched them all over summer (except the christmas one) and i think millenium actress is my fav now

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Augus posted:

it’s spy fiction but it’s primarily a comedy so yuri is written to be as pathetic as humanly possible for laughs

this is it. when a character is being a pathetic little freak and you wonder why they would ever write that, think, am i supposed to be laughing right now

that doesnt mean the joke works but that's what is usually happening

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Maya Fey posted:

i rewatched them all over summer (except the christmas one) and i think millenium actress is my fav now

tokyo godfathers still the goat, cry like a fuckin baby every time i watch it

now to be fair i cry like a baby at all sorts of poo poo but it's still really really good

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Tokyo Godfathers will be getting a limited rerelease in theaters in the second week of December:

https://www.fandango.com/axcn-tokyo-godfathers-20th-anniversary-satoshi-kon-fest-2023-232927/movie-overview

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Yuri isn't really even an antagonist. He's just a hindrance and the source of mild tension for Loid, and that's about it. Beyond that, any focus on what he gets up to on his own just shows that this country is indeed lovely and oppressive behind the scenes. But there isn't really any chance he's going to bust Loid anyway

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Kit Walker posted:

Yuri isn't really even an antagonist. He's just a hindrance and the source of mild tension for Loid, and that's about it. Beyond that, any focus on what he gets up to on his own just shows that this country is indeed lovely and oppressive behind the scenes. But there isn't really any chance he's going to bust Loid anyway

I dunno if it'll show up in S2 but one of the more recent chapters in the manga had him BIG SPOILERS end up face to face confronting Loid on a mission and other than his ability to just not stay the gently caress down after getting his rear end beat, Loid basically had control the entire fight even after being shot in the arm. He'd be a threat to someone normal, sure, but he's out of his league in this case by a pretty big factor.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the antagonist is damien's creepy dad.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
More people should watch the Apothecary Diaries.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Ohtori Akio posted:

i whole-heartedly recommend high-brow and thoughtful animated program The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You

it’s a bit like kaguya sama love is war in that its pretty fun

MonsieurChoc posted:

this one is also fun

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the antagonist is damien's creepy dad.

whats up with his head scars? can that dude read minds too?

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Agreed, I already like the comic so I'm glad that the adaptation has been good so far.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

bitmap posted:

whats up with his head scars? can that dude read minds too?

It's certainly not an uncommon guess among the fandom, but we haven't had any indication one way or the other yet.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE87ocztR_s&t=4s

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckltFROsNbY

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I really liked the first volume of Dai Dark.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Watching SpyxFamily and the ep5 castle filler is ftw. they took it way further than the manga. its like theyre trying to explain why anime should exist

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Gripweed posted:

I really liked the first volume of Dai Dark.
its pretty loving good

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

I like when Yor kicks ppl

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
don't threaten me with a good time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Homeless Friend posted:

Watching SpyxFamily and the ep5 castle filler is ftw. they took it way further than the manga. its like theyre trying to explain why anime should exist

I really enjoy how the anime adds all sorts of little jokes in non-filler episodes too. All stuff that feels true to the spirit of the manga so it never comes off as out of place.