Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Also, if you see someone arguing in bad faith or trolling, report them and move on, there’s no need to engage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

Also, if you see someone arguing in bad faith or trolling, report them and move on, there’s no need to engage.

I'm not sure what you think was bad faith about that arguement. He's absolutely correct, Hamas has extensive tunnel networks that they actively brag about, it's not at all like the fake Bin Laden fortress thing. It had nothing to do with the hospital raid poo poo, it's just making a correct factual observation that the comparison is funny but not really accurate.

Absolute garbage probe.

edit: The poster responding to it wasn't posting about posters either and it was a fair counter-point, wtf?

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 16, 2023

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

FrozenVent posted:

You jump at shadows a lot. You’ve probed people for “posting about posters” when the post was just a response to a claim and included zero personal attack.

Trap sprung, I guess, cause now I am posting about moderator, but I figured this was better than reporting your post to you.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I mostly lurk here, but I'd also say those probes were unneeded. Even if the posts had been marginal (which I wouldn't agree with), it was a single statement and response that the conversation had already moved on from. There was no disruption to put a stop to.

I'll recognize that moderating an I/P thread is a fraught proposition so I'm not trying to put you on blast for being quick on the draw, but I will state my agreement with the others.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah probing those two posts about the tunnels and the hospital, which were a pushback on the idea that Hamas tunnels are completely propaganda and a nuanced rebuttal, respectively, while not touching this

Proud Christian Mom posted:

They're still trying to find all the decapitated babies
Which is part of the quickly spreading Oct 7th denial, aiming to argue and sew doubt that the Hamas attack on Israel on Oct 7 didn't target civilians,

sucks

absolute

donkey dick.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
Literally any post where the quote function is used can technically be construed to break the rule of not posting about posters.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Voyager I posted:

I'll recognize that moderating an I/P thread is a fraught proposition so I'm not trying to put you on blast for being quick on the draw, but I will state my agreement with the others.

:agreed:

they're only sixers so it's not really anything to get up in arms about but those posts were relatively innocuous

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Wombot posted:

Yeah probing those two posts about the tunnels and the hospital, which were a pushback on the idea that Hamas tunnels are completely propaganda and a nuanced rebuttal, respectively, while not touching this

Which is part of the quickly spreading Oct 7th denial, aiming to argue and sew doubt that the Hamas attack on Israel on Oct 7 didn't target civilians,

sucks

absolute

donkey dick.

TBH, I think so many people have PCM on ignore that nobody actually saw the post to report it.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

psydude posted:

TBH, I think so many people have PCM on ignore that nobody actually saw the post to report it.

confirmed

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Wombot posted:

sucks

absolute

donkey dick.

There's plenty of real atrocities in war bud. You don't need to, again, come to the defense of imaginary ones because it would make your team look better.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Jarmak posted:

Absolute garbage probe.

:agreed: very low effort moderation

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
my friend went to visit her brother and, in the car heading from the airport, he hits her with a "10/7 didn't happen" so I guess that's a thing that's out there now

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Lazy_Liberal posted:

my friend went to visit her brother and, in the car heading from the airport, he hits her with a "10/7 didn't happen" so I guess that's a thing that's out there now
It's been a thing since the moment the news broke. Literally every major event has conspiracy theorists who will deny, diminish, or misattribute them, particularly if they have personal motivation to do so.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Coeus posted:

The New York Times published this updated graphic for what the very real Hamas underground bunker may indeed look like

no toot pipe tho :grovertoot:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

knox_harrington posted:

:agreed: very low effort moderation

Think of IK moderation like umpire calls. The goal is to get things right but there will be times we either fail to call something out or call out the wrong things.

As long as we are getting things right most of the time, we are doing better than many.

Feel free to continue providing feedback but remember that we are volunteers and there is a reason why the all of the threads on this topic elsewhere on SA got shut down.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Hekk posted:

As long as we are getting things right most of the time, we are doing better than many.

Feel free to continue providing feedback but remember that we are volunteers and there is a reason why the all of the threads on this topic elsewhere on SA got shut down.

That's not actually a good defense for probing people having normal grown-up conversations that are on topic. And there are other threads on this subject active elsewhere on SA that have been open this whole time.

Speaking of the topic:

For how reliable a source this is, this guy was a prospective candidate for the Labour party in the UK in 2018, but was removed after allegations of anti-semitic comments. Which doesn't actually mean he was anti-semitic (internal party purging used it as an excuse) but does mean he's pro-Palestine. So not the most objective source, but probably more reliable than an average twitter rando.

I can absolutely see Israel posting video of shiny new tunnel entrances surrounded by bulldozed hospital in the next few days and refusing to explain why they didn't show them sooner.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

gently caress the police

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Hekk posted:

Think of IK moderation like umpire calls. The goal is to get things right but there will be times we either fail to call something out or call out the wrong things.

This is fair and perhaps I could have used less abrasive language in my commentary on it.

I'll note though that this is a two-way street: putting personal attacks like "being a moron" or stating people are posting in bad faith in the probe reason are going to cause people to be aggravated with a bad probe. So either don't do that, or accept that if you spit fire and you're wrong you're probably going to get some back.

Edit: new Av looks pretty badass, would like it better if it didn't google image search back to a bunch of twitter accounts with swastikas, the truth about the Rothchilds, or how vaccines are a jewish plot.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 16, 2023

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Proud Christian Mom posted:

There's plenty of real atrocities in war bud. You don't need to, again, come to the defense of imaginary ones because it would make your team look better.

Do you post anything that isn't vitriolic poo poo stirring?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/manniefabian/status/1725230439307128995

The IDF is now showing footage of what they claim is the entrance to the mythical Hamas tunnels under the hospital.

https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-did-israel-build-bunker-under-shifa-hospital-1844107

Though even if that was actually filmed at Al-Shifa, there appears to be a second explanation: That the Israelis built an underground bunker there themselves about four decades ago.

Of course, just because there's a hole in the ground doesn't mean it's full of sinister Hamas plots, so we'll probably have to wait a few days before the IDF has filled it up with ISIS banners, copies of Mein Kampf and a diary detailing a minute-by-minute plan to butcher civilians.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That looks less like a tunnel entrance and more like the IDF dug through to a basement they knew was there. To me anyway.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
lmao "10/7 denial" because Israel lied about a bunch of poo poo and never backed it up with any sort of evidence other than literally being like "We have pictures but you can't see them"

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

lmao "10/7 denial" because Israel lied about a bunch of poo poo and never backed it up with any sort of evidence other than literally being like "We have pictures but you can't see them"

What the gently caress? Hamas filmed themselves doing it. There's gory horrible videos all out there for you to see full of dead and kidnapped civilians. Horrible videos, poo poo you can't unsee. Have you completely missed them?

And you're saying Israel made it all up? What the gently caress?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Bored As gently caress posted:

What the gently caress? Hamas filmed themselves doing it. There's gory horrible videos all out there for you to see full of dead and kidnapped civilians.

What the gently caress?

Dude there's been people in this very thread trying to claim that the whole thing was made up / exaggerated because people who left their phones while fleeing in terror and thus were presumed dead were later found alive.

e: This avatar is a major upgrade to the Matthew Perry avatar that I've had for the last decade. And dare I say the timing is near perfect.

psydude fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 16, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Bored As gently caress posted:

What the gently caress? Hamas filmed themselves doing it. There's gory horrible videos all out there for you to see full of dead and kidnapped civilians. Horrible videos, poo poo you can't unsee. Have you completely missed them?

And you're saying Israel made it all up? What the gently caress?

I suspect it's related to some of the more extreme statements like "Hamas beheaded Israeli babies" and several horrible pieces of footage/photos(like atrocities against pregnant women) that turned out to actually be footage from other awful events, unrelated to Hamas or Israel, or woven from whole cloth.

So I don't think they're saying every dead Israeli from the 7th of October was made up.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
nah I just meant all the bullshit about decapitating babies and raping and mutilating everyone they encountered etc.

Wombot posted:

Just a kneejerk reaction to this dumb poo poo. Which might be happening other places but I haven't seen it on the forums at all. There's been a bunch of evidence that makes it pretty clear that the IDF killed a bunch of civilian hostages in their response, but nobody saying that it straight didn't happen.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

nah I just meant all the bullshit about decapitating babies and raping and mutilating everyone they encountered etc.

There's literal footage of them cutting open a pregnant woman and throwing her fetus on the ground and stomping on it. Or do you think that's some kind of IDF production as well.

quote:

Just a kneejerk reaction to this dumb poo poo. Which might be happening other places but I haven't seen it on the forums at all. There's been a bunch of evidence that makes it pretty clear that the IDF killed a bunch of civilian hostages in their response, but nobody saying that it straight didn't happen.

What does this even mean? I don't think anyone in this thread is denying that Israel has far exceeded any kind of reasonable response. But I do see you trying to "So what?" the murder of 1200 civilians.

E: VVV - OK, I'll admit I'm wrong here. The amount of misinformation in this war is ridiculous.

psydude fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 16, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

psydude posted:

There's literal footage of them cutting open a pregnant woman and throwing her fetus on the ground and stomping on it. Or do you think that's some kind of IDF production as well.

https://www.adl.org/resources/blog/adl-debunk-myths-and-false-narratives-about-israel-hamas-war

quote:

FALSE NARRATIVE: Video shows Hamas killing pregnant woman and unborn child

A graphic video circulated recently on platforms like X purportedly showing a Hamas militant cutting the fetus out of a pregnant Israeli woman while she was still alive. The video was shared alongside testimony from a first responder, who is speaking English.

REALITY: The video in question is several years old, dating back as early as 2018, and is believed to show a brutal murder by members of the Mexican cartel. While the story about the pregnant Israeli victim has not been confirmed, it is based on real testimony from a member of ZAKA, a volunteer search and rescue organization in Israel.

I think when even the ADL is saying it's bullshit, it's bullshit.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
One effect of these recent wars is that if you don't get very media savvy, or at least very cautious about what you repeat, You're going to get owned repeatedly by disinformation.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

One effect of these recent wars is that if you don't get very media savvy, or at least very cautious about what you repeat, You're going to get owned repeatedly by disinformation.

It's tough. I avoid videos on Reddit and try to stick to reputable news outlets, but poo poo still slips by.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

psydude posted:

What does this even mean? I don't think anyone in this thread is denying that Israel has far exceeded any kind of reasonable response. But I do see you trying to "So what?" the murder of 1200 civilians.

The problem is the response is Israel Government going: "See? We're not doing that, we're just killing the kids with bombs and in the hospitals and claiming those same hospitals are actually secret underground headquarters for Hamas to justify thousands of children's deaths"

The video is fake.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Did Hamas attack Israel on 10/7? Absolutely, did they kill a poo poo ton of Israeli civilians, and take hundreds more hostage? Absolutely! Is the existence of the Israeli state threatened by Hamas? No not really. Is IDF going way the gently caress too far by indiscriminately levelling Gaza, killing tens of thousands of Palestinian civilians, and blaming Hamas for it? Yeah they are.

Someone will label me an antisemite for having a nuanced opinion and saying both sides bad.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

psydude posted:

It's tough. I avoid videos on Reddit and try to stick to reputable news outlets, but poo poo still slips by.

I got got by someone stealing a video of a lava flow filling a caldera and overflowing its banks just a few days ago purporting to be a video of something going on in Iceland. The person wasn't pushing any agenda, just chasing clout, and I let my guard down. The video was real in that it was a real volcano, but it was a misrepresentation.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

orange juche posted:

Did Hamas attack Israel on 10/7? Absolutely, did they kill a poo poo ton of Israeli civilians, and take hundreds more hostage? Absolutely! Is the existence of the Israeli state threatened by Hamas? No not really. Is IDF going way the gently caress too far by indiscriminately levelling Gaza, killing tens of thousands of Palestinian civilians, and blaming Hamas for it? Yeah they are.

Someone will label me an antisemite for having a nuanced opinion and saying both sides bad.

There is a group who would label you an antisemite for daring to question Israel, which is only trying to keep its people safe from acts of terrorism, including rockets, shootings, kids throwing rocks, Arabs asking nicely on social media to not be bombed, American businesses not buying their stuff, and Jewish Voice for Peace.

There is another group who would label you a colonialist pig for besmirching the glorious freedom brigades of Hamas and their valiant surprise attackdefensive maneuver, wiping out hundreds of unsuspecting potential IDF reservists at a concert!

Engaging on this outside this thread is just loving exhausting because you inevitably get swarmed with folks who have dug in like ticks on one of the two views above and it is purely an exercise in trying to flood the narrative.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Um, that doesn't say it's bullshit, did you read the second half of it?

It says the video is not of the incident, but the account of the murder is from real testimony of search and rescue personnel.

I.e. it's not saying it didn't happen, it's saying that's not a video of it.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

psydude posted:

I'm not doing that at all, I was pushing back at Wombot bringing up "10/7 denial" because it sounds like bullshit and honestly to me just sounds like another disingenuous pro-Israeli talking point because like I said, I haven't seen it on the forums, and it sounds like a straw-man argument to distract from an entire month of genocide. He equated PCM's post referencing "Hamas decapitating babies" to denying the attack on 10/7 ever happened at all. To me that's disingenuous as gently caress.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jarmak posted:

Um, that doesn't say it's bullshit, did you read the second half of it?

It says the video is not of the incident, but the account of the murder is from real testimony of search and rescue personnel.

I.e. it's not saying it didn't happen, it's saying that's not a video of it.

Yes. Poster said there was a video of it. Other poster shows convincingly there isn't.

As far as what is claimed I'd say who cares. The point of this discussion is that people are claiming all sorts of stuff. It's foolish to accept any of it without strong evidence.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Aljazeera now reporting that the IDF decided to take a bulldozer to a Yasser Arafat memorial monument in the West Bank. Just really leaning into the collective punishment.

E: link
https://www.aljazeera.com/program/newsfeed/2023/11/15/yasser-arafat-memorial-destroyed-by-israeli-forces

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hmmm, so Sen. Fetterman went ahead and wore an Israeli flag as a loving superhero cape at a march yesterday... that sucks pretty bad imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm not saying that it didn't happen, but a single report by an Israeli aid worker posted to a network known for spreading IDF propaganda is not a good source. That has the veracity as the Baby Slaughter that has been debunked.

Without more details, we are assuming a lot from this "10/7 didn't happen" comment. Do they mean it didn't happen at all? False Flag? Some other weird version of reality?

Part of the problem is that Israeli media has owned American mouthpieces for decades, and their propaganda arm has been priming the pump for just as long. Combined with the cultural impact of Post 9/11 Bush Era rhetoric, it's an uphill struggle to get a glimpse of the truth.