Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm not wavering on this: Ghostbusters (dir. Reitman, 1984) was a very funny comedy movie.

Edit: Christ, what an awful snipe. Okay. Ghostbusters: A Frightfully Cheerful Roleplaying Game (West End Games, 1986) was not a very good or funny roleplaying game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FishFood posted:

Nah, I think the original Ghostbusters is a comedy with a bug budget and adventure elements. It's just that it's a type of movie that has kind of disappeared: it's tightly scripted and uses a lot of wordplay while comedies have moved pretty far away from that in the last 20 years. Modern comedies all have these long scenes of extended improv so any movies that have more traditional (read: better) pacing don't feel like comedies to people more used to the modern style.

I don't know if I would have called the original tightly-scripted (I dunno, maybe it is, I'm not a film expert) but is more elliptical. We don't see Spengler, Venkman, and Stantz each doing their own different research and then being fired to establish why they take up bustin'; Venkman ("it is a star") stands for all three. The original's focus is Venkman >>> Stantz > Spengler > Zeddemore though! The 2016 film clearly wanted to spread the love around more, and I think they felt they had & needed more screen time to establish each character's quirks and motivations than they really did, given how uneven the comedy there was.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Halloween Jack posted:

Understanding media will not lessen your enjoyment of it.

Come on now, I know you've met grad students before.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I think I started this derail by mentioning the MCU and I am very sorry.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Ghostbusters (1984) is a cheap piece of amateurish schlock compared to the masterpiece that is Ghostbusters (1975) :smugbert:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Prime Evil > Strahd > Gozer

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

homullus posted:

I don't know if I would have called the original tightly-scripted (I dunno, maybe it is, I'm not a film expert) but is more elliptical. We don't see Spengler, Venkman, and Stantz each doing their own different research and then being fired to establish why they take up bustin'; Venkman ("it is a star") stands for all three. The original's focus is Venkman >>> Stantz > Spengler > Zeddemore though! The 2016 film clearly wanted to spread the love around more, and I think they felt they had & needed more screen time to establish each character's quirks and motivations than they really did, given how uneven the comedy there was.

It's tightly scripted in the sense that the jokes were largely in the script itself and are tied into the plot and characters. There are no extended sequences with a static camera and the actors riffing and saying random "funny stuff" for minutes at a time, the comedy arises from the situations and the characters themselves. I don't think 2016's problems are due to it spreading the focus more evenly between the four leads, it's that the movie will grind to a halt so that the leads can "yes-and" about Chinese food for five minutes.

I'm not wild about Will Ferrell/Paul Feig style improv comedy in general, but it really doesn't work in a high-concept movie like Ghostbusters, not to mention how the riffing blends all the different characters into being kind of generically zany.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Comrade Koba posted:

Ghostbusters (1984) is a cheap piece of amateurish schlock compared to the masterpiece that is Ghostbusters (1975) :smugbert:

Larry Storch's greatest role.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

Come on now, I know you've met grad students before.

Or hell, check out some of the other forums on this site.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

FishFood posted:

I'm not wild about Will Ferrell/Paul Feig style improv comedy in general, but it really doesn't work in a high-concept movie like Ghostbusters, not to mention how the riffing blends all the different characters into being kind of generically zany.

It's why Leslie Jones felt like the only real person to me, her approach to all of the comedy was as a New York service worker rolling with all of the zaniness as opposed to 'generic quippy scientist.'

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Midjack posted:

TVIV is one of the least understanding media places around and they still have problems enjoy things.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Lumbermouth posted:

It's why Leslie Jones felt like the only real person to me, her approach to all of the comedy was as a New York service worker rolling with all of the zaniness as opposed to 'generic quippy scientist.'

She was one of the two people I liked most in the film and I wish they'd done more with her as an expert on the city itself, but the other was Kate McKinnon for largely opposite reasons - she leaned in to the cartoony aspect of the movie and the character and was just so much fun to watch in a way that McCarthy and Wiig weren't quite so much.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The original Ghostbusters was a supernatural action-adventure movie played mostly straight by very funny people. Leaning into either full-on comedy (2016), or super-serious (Afterlife) doesn't work. You need to thread the needle.
Ghostbusters was like a lot of 1980s movies in that it crossed genres (horror-comedy-action-special effects/scifi) in a way that movies have largely stopped doing. Beetlejuice was comedy-horror, Romancing The Stone was adventure-comedy-romance, Married To The Mob was half menacing thriller, half comic mayhem - the list goes on. They wanted to make movies to be as broadly appealing as possible so they tried to have a little something for everyone, and as a result a lot of 1980s movies are kind of all over the place, story-wise.

Halloween Jack posted:

Ghostbusters: A Frightfully Cheerful Roleplaying Game (West End Games, 1986) was not a very good or funny roleplaying game.
It was a bad game, and an even worse effort at being Ghostbusters, but it might have been the most influential RPG system in the history of the hobby (after D&D), because it introduced the Dice Pool core mechanic that was reused in Star Wars (1987), spread to Shadowrun (1989), and then to Vampire (1991) and the whole of the WoD and similar systems, so much so that the 1990s is pretty much the Dice Pool Decade as far as RPG systems go. And I'm pretty sure the core design was the work of Chaosium's Greg Stafford, Sandy Petersen, and Lynn Willis.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Midjack posted:

other forums?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

homullus posted:

I mean its not hot fuzz but thats a really high bar.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
GB 2016 also had way too many random cameos.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Lumbermouth posted:

Yeah, she's the real bright spot of the movie, she feels like a real person and not a standup impression. Leslie Jones rules and I wish she got more work and hadn't been treated so awfully.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Comrade Koba posted:

I'm Spencer, he's Tracy. I'm Kong.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Maybe there is a better thread for this question, but what was the name of the unhinged game where the players were part of a matriarchal community of communist witches? I think they also turned men into animals and killed and ate them or something? A friend is trying to remember the name of it for some forsaken reason and now my brain won't let me stop trying to find it, either.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Kibner posted:

Maybe there is a better thread for this question, but what was the name of the unhinged game where the players were part of a matriarchal community of communist witches? I think they also turned men into animals and killed and ate them or something? A friend is trying to remember the name of it for some forsaken reason and now my brain won't let me stop trying to find it, either.

..Bellum Maga?
https://writeups.letsyouandhimfight.com/kurieg/bellum-maga/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kibner posted:

Witch Girls Adventures?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

I do believe this was it! Thanks!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I saw GB 2016 twice in the theatre but it's mostly because Kate McKinnon licking her gun did things to me so who can say if the movie is good or bad

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Kibner posted:

I do believe this was it! Thanks!

There was very little Eating of men, there were, however, multiple spells for and even more art of turning men into cigars and *smoking* them.

Also turning men into pregnant women as punishment, specifically supreme court justices, in front of a hobby lobby.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not wavering on this: Ghostbusters (dir. Reitman, 1984) was a very funny comedy movie.

Edit: Christ, what an awful snipe. Okay. Ghostbusters: A Frightfully Cheerful Roleplaying Game (West End Games, 1986) was not a very good or funny roleplaying game.

As said above I've heard it's not a very good game, but I think that might be the one that does at least get one aspect surprisingly right that in-game, getting loaded up with all the Ghostbuster gear basically hits your encumbrance limit, showing that all that kit is indeed very unwieldy and heavy, and there's a reason that they have to work in teams. The whole concept with the proton packs, the streams and traps being a complex procedure works very well, making it a genuine challenge with the multi-step process that requires the Ghostbusters to coordinate, plan and outsmart the ghosts.

Also comes to mind that the reasons Ghostbusters works as a movie might also be the reason it works as a cartoon, so much about the concept lends itself to that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FishFood posted:

Yeah, she's the real bright spot of the movie, she feels like a real person and not a standup impression. Leslie Jones rules and I wish she got more work and hadn't been treated so awfully.

She's in Our Flag Means Death and while she's not a main character, she's brilliant and I think makes a solid case for more work with her performance.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The original Ghostbusters was a supernatural action-adventure movie played mostly straight by very funny people. Leaning into either full-on comedy (2016), or super-serious (Afterlife) doesn't work. You need to thread the needle.

Leaning into full-on comedy absolutely would have made 2016 Ghostbusters a better movie.

The only really cringey part of the movie was that dumb scene where we see each Ghostbuster blasting away ghosts in bullet-time action sequences. It was such a desperate try-hard way to make them all look “cool and badass” that would have been much better if it were played for comedy.

Just like the first Ghostbusters wouldn’t have been improved if you added a part where Egon is blasting away ghouls with proton guns akimbo like in a John Woo movie.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Kibner posted:

The funny thing is that, if played for irony, this would make a great cabal for an Unknown Armies game.

Make them all TERF Trump supporters and you can call them Bellum MAGA :D

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
All I remember about Ghostbusters Afterlife is it had a kid nicknamed "Podcast" because he had a podcast.

MuscaDomestica
Apr 27, 2017

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Bill Murray is oddly well-liked for a complete rear end in a top hat

Recently there has been some pushback after people complained about times he was a dick to them a while ago. (Seth Green talked about how Murry threw him in a trashcan as a joke when he was nine among other stores) Not full blown "canceling" but did lower the hype about him.

whydirt posted:

GB 2016 also had way too many random cameos.

Whenever an original cast member appeared the movie completely stopped dead for a good minute. Movie also looked like it was completely changed in editing.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I can never fully hate the 2016 ghostbusters because it has an inexplicable Ozzy Osbourne cameo in it.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

MuscaDomestica posted:

Whenever an original cast member appeared the movie completely stopped dead for a good minute. Movie also looked like it was completely changed in editing.

The director's cut adds a bunch of missing context that improves the overall story flow, but it also adds a racist joke where Kristen Wiig pantomimes pulling a Chinese man's queue and says "ding dong," so in conclusion Ghostbusters (2016 film) is a land of contrasts.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

The Deleter posted:

I can never fully hate the 2016 ghostbusters because it has an inexplicable Ozzy Osbourne cameo in it.

This is as good a time as any to tell everyone on this forum to go check out the rock and roll horror comedy hit of 1986 Trick or Treat.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ghostbusters does take the whole setting seriously, Dan Ackroyd's genuine interest in the supernatural is the foundation of the movie and broader franchise. The ghosts are often wacky and grotesque but also genuinely dangerous and fascinatingly strange. The characters are a bunch of weirdos who make jokes and use shady means to keep their business afloat, but the humour comes from the mix of human mundanity with supernatural weirdness and how people treat it.

It takes the ghosts seriously enough to play them as horror movie stuff. It in no way ever considers the wider impact of poo poo like 'yep, that was a marshmallow-based kaiju in downtown NYC' or piloting the Statue of Liberty around to break into a museum.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Kai Tave posted:

All I remember about Ghostbusters Afterlife is it had a kid nicknamed "Podcast" because he had a podcast.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

MuscaDomestica posted:

Recently there has been some pushback after people complained about times he was a dick to them a while ago. (Seth Green talked about how Murry threw him in a trashcan as a joke when he was nine among other stores) Not full blown "canceling" but did lower the hype about him.

Also after he paid a woman $100,000 to settle her claim that he straddled her and mimed kissing her on set in 2022. That movie was shut down because of the complaint.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/oct/11/bill-murray-settlement-inappropriate-behavior-being-mortal

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

FMguru posted:

It was a bad game, and an even worse effort at being Ghostbusters, but it might have been the most influential RPG system in the history of the hobby (after D&D), because it introduced the Dice Pool core mechanic that was reused in Star Wars (1987), spread to Shadowrun (1989), and then to Vampire (1991) and the whole of the WoD and similar systems, so much so that the 1990s is pretty much the Dice Pool Decade as far as RPG systems go. And I'm pretty sure the core design was the work of Chaosium's Greg Stafford, Sandy Petersen, and Lynn Willis.

Is it really correct to trace Shadowrun and WoD's dice pool mechanics to GB and SWD6's? It seems to me that GB and SWD6's addition based mechanic is fundamentally different than the counting successes mechanics of Shadowrun and WoD.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PeterWeller posted:

Is it really correct to trace Shadowrun and WoD's dice pool mechanics to GB and SWD6's? It seems to me that GB and SWD6's addition based mechanic is fundamentally different than the counting successes mechanics of Shadowrun and WoD.
I think so - it innovated the system by changing the way you look at the dice you roll (looking for 'successes' rather than just summing them up) but the basic framework is still there (your stat and your skill are measured by the number of dice you roll, more dice = better) and I don't think that kind of system was anywhere to be found before GB in 1986.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

neongrey posted:

I saw GB 2016 twice in the theatre but it's mostly because Kate McKinnon licking her gun did things to me so who can say if the movie is good or bad

I only just realized, but it was really important to me that I not know this and now you’ve ruined it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

PeterWeller posted:

Tom Dowd adapted Shadowrun's system to WoD. I don't know of any direct connection to West End, though.