Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This is once again close to some Klaus Kellerman poo poo, but I swear to god this game has some kind of "last chance" mechanic that leaves 43% tomatos with a couple of HP when a shot SHOULD have killed them.

M4/85 has 112 HP. I hit him with my M4A1 FL10. The shot does 111 damage, ie. 3 more than the absolute minimum damage roll the gun can roll -- and leaving him with 1 HP. And that's happened multiple times tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

You noticed that too, huh? It might be confirmation bias, but it definitely feels like enemies are left with 1 HP far more frequently than statistically possible. And it's always 1 HP, never 2 HP.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

McGavin posted:

You noticed that too, huh? It might be confirmation bias, but it definitely feels like enemies are left with 1 HP far more frequently than statistically possible. And it's always 1 HP, never 2 HP.

Yeah my thoughts exactly. Could be confirmation bias, but it feels like it's happening way more than it should.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It's me, the guy who likes assault TDs.

E: and lol at the guy in the second match who got a +2 tier city map match in a BZ-176 and did 430 damage. Guy was alive almost to the end of the match too so it's not like he got unlucky and was deleted 30 seconds in.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 15, 2023

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

This is once again close to some Klaus Kellerman poo poo, but I swear to god this game has some kind of "last chance" mechanic that leaves 43% tomatos with a couple of HP when a shot SHOULD have killed them.

M4/85 has 112 HP. I hit him with my M4A1 FL10. The shot does 111 damage, ie. 3 more than the absolute minimum damage roll the gun can roll -- and leaving him with 1 HP. And that's happened multiple times tonight.

I experience this sort of thing so often that I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it is a hidden mechanic. My lot call it "the noob shield".

See also: shells landing everywhere except on-loving-target when the bastard is not only a one-shot, but obliviously sitting out in the open too. Almost guaranteed to be the case if I'm using an "accurate" gun.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Missing shots is just RNG. Frustrating, frustrating RNG.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Pretty happy with that round, all things considered. Have a feeling I made the shitbarn break his keyboard though. Bounced on me twice then whiffed a third shot into the dirt before I killed him lol.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

This is not directly related, and it's been several years, but this was a thing in Armored Warfare, at least the PvE mode; the AI tanks could not be 1-shot, so if you had, say, a 400-alpha gun and were firing at a 350-hp SPG, you'd do up to 349 damage, leaving it on 1 hp. Again, this was a deliberate thing by the developers, and I think what happened was they mentioned it when they added or removed it at one point, but like I said, it's been quite a while and my memory's hazy. Doesn't apply to WoT, but it could very well be a hidden mechanic.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Atomizer posted:

This is not directly related, and it's been several years, but this was a thing in Armored Warfare, at least the PvE mode; the AI tanks could not be 1-shot, so if you had, say, a 400-alpha gun and were firing at a 350-hp SPG, you'd do up to 349 damage, leaving it on 1 hp. Again, this was a deliberate thing by the developers, and I think what happened was they mentioned it when they added or removed it at one point, but like I said, it's been quite a while and my memory's hazy. Doesn't apply to WoT, but it could very well be a hidden mechanic.

Yeah, it would make sense from a game design perspective. Players will like it when they feel like they have that last chance to fight back instead of just getting blasted from out of nowhere. Clearly it doesn't happen EVERY time, because plenty of times we do get blasted without first getting taken down to 1 HP. But it does happen strangely frequently.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if World of Tanks did have a whole lot of hidden variables and things that we can only speculate about. For instance one thing Skill says very often is that you can't trust a tank's stats. The stats given might make it look like a tank is very inaccurate, but actually it seems to hit very accurately very frequently. The TS-54 is a textbook example of this. It has a listed accuracy of .36, but you can do some insane snipes with the thing, and it FEELS like the gun is more like a .3 accuracy laser. And the Grille is famously an example of the opposite. It has a listed accuracy of .26, but good lord that thing misses shots it shouldn't be missing.

E: again, this could just be confirmation bias. You EXPECT the Grille to be hitting unrealistic shots, and when it doesn't, you feel frustrated. But who knows!

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Nov 16, 2023

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

:thunk:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Because the low tier experience wasn't shity enough.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

How do these people get to T10?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

How do these people get to T10?

Very slowly.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ok, they have made Steel Hunter pretty fun now.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Vipera doing 236 damage in a T6 game. Lorraine 40t doing 600 damage in a T6 game. Losing 80% of my HP to two poo poo eating arty assholes.

Boy this game is fun to play sometimes.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

T28 done. Holy gently caress that was an EXCELLENT tank.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Would've been nice to win this game.

But...

E: the ghost shell problem seems to be especially big today. I've missed on a few kills when a shell just didn't hit a target that I should not have been able to miss. And I'm talking about poo poo like "side on Conqueror so close my barrel was touching, shell just doesn't hit".

Feels like the servers are completely making GBS threads themselves.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 18, 2023

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I had a game like that last night in the T-103. A purple Bourrasque was scouting the eastern field on Ghost Town and I was slapping everything he'd light.

He was all "Wow, you guys are doing awesome, thanks for all the spotting damage!" and I said "I'm pretty sure it's only me doing damage."

It turns out I was right and we got swarmed by full HP enemies from the other side of the map. 5k damage for me, 2k for the Bourrasque, and nobody else on the team broke 500. :sad:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I have no idea why I sold my T95. That thing is such a blast to play. Maybe during the holiday event I can get a discount on it...

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

I have no idea why I sold my T95. That thing is such a blast to play. Maybe during the holiday event I can get a discount on it...

Isn't there a discount on it now for Top of the Tree?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

McGavin posted:

Isn't there a discount on it now for Top of the Tree?

:hmmyes:

Gotta see if I got enough credits.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah, when it works it's amazingly fun, but it's also a bit of a pain because it's so loving slow once you've committed to a flank, you will live or die on that flank. If 80% of the enemy pubbies just happened to lemmingtrain to the other flank, you will get to fire one shot before the match is decided on way or another.

But when it works, holy gently caress it's fun.

I'm not sure how I should set mine up, though. I've currently got a Turbo, Improved Hardening and Modified Configuration on mine, as per Skill's recommendation. But I find myself missing a rammer and improved aiming unit quite frequently.

E: might also be a good option for the Bond Turbo I got from some thing or another a while back.

E2: I put the bond turbo on the thing. What the hell am I saving it for if not something like this?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 18, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Well the bond turbo helps, but even it can't magic a brain into my teammates' heads.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I'm not sure how I should set mine up, though. I've currently got a Turbo, Improved Hardening and Modified Configuration on mine, as per Skill's recommendation. But I find myself missing a rammer and improved aiming unit quite frequently.

I would use IRM, Hardening, and the Mobility Improvement System experimental equipment. Being impervious to getting tracked and being able to spin like a top is very useful.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

McGavin posted:

I would use IRM, Hardening, and the Mobility Improvement System experimental equipment. Being impervious to getting tracked and being able to spin like a top is very useful.

Yeah that seems extremely useful in the T95.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Bought thecT95 back, played 5 games and had one decent ones.

I am so rusty :smith:.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

How on earth is this not an ace wanker? People are loving wilding in the 45tp apparently!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Good lord, I had forgotten how FUGLY the game used to look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKhGo-WKVIA

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Yeah I know it's QB but drat is it fun to be reminded how things were back in the day. That would probably be around the time I stopped playing, as it was about when the BatChat went T10 that I recall dropping the game.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The highlight of this game was realizing an arty was sitting on the hill behind the factory and firing directly over me, so I could very easily spot the exact bush he was hiding in and blind fire him.

When I got out of the game there was a page of abuse waiting for me in my private messages.

E:

Actually here's the moment

https://i.imgur.com/7uvufA9.mp4

Before this he'd fired from around that area a few times and I just needed to dial in the elevation.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 21, 2023

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

lmao you shot once, then another teammate shot and they still didn't move

arty players' brains are fascinating

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

I mean the T95 reloads so quickly a human can't even process it let alone react.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Deleting a clicker from the game is the same tier of good karma gain as deleting a wheelie. Doubly so if they rage hard enough at you in PMs to eat a temp ban.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Not to excuse the clicker's complete lack of awareness, but a combination of it being early in the battle and him not being spotted (i.e. Sixth Sense not triggering) probably gave him a false sense of security.

The overwhelming majority of clicker players will set up somewhere within whatever well-known spot at the start of the match and proceed to spend the entirety of their time just looking at things to click on from the overhead view, regardless of that target's importance; they rarely (if ever!) look at the map to see what's happening elsewhere or if there are any allies between them and possible enemy attacks, and usually only bother moving if they're actually hit (by which point it's too late to avoid destruction 99% of the time anyway).

Moving to support a flank or even simply repositioning between shots for better angles and/or to evade counter-battery fire are completely alien concepts. Some clicker players will move when spotted, managing to escape before they can get thoroughly shat on, only to immediately go back into their camping spot when the initial threat passes and get loving obliterated by a wild counter-battery shot :psyboom:

sushibandit posted:

Deleting a clicker from the game is the same tier of good karma gain as deleting a wheelie. Doubly so if they rage hard enough at you in PMs to eat a temp ban.
:yeah:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
lmao amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBMrZ-GjMgQ

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Reddit is really upset because it's not Sylvester Stallone (they had convinced themselves it would be) and because half of them don't know who Vinny Jones is.

The state of that place smh.

I'm gonna watch Snatch in his honor tonight.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
It's extremely funny that out of everyone they've had it's Vinnie Jones who has given the most convincingly committed acting performance in one of these things

Orv
May 4, 2011

Vando posted:

It's extremely funny that out of everyone they've had it's Vinnie Jones who has given the most convincingly committed acting performance in one of these things

That's because when you cast Vinnie Jones you just get Vinnie Jones doing Vinnie Jones. He's fantastic but he does have just the one speed.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Orv posted:

That's because when you cast Vinnie Jones you just get Vinnie Jones doing Vinnie Jones. He's fantastic but he does have just the one speed.

Sometimes, that's all ya need.

Also, I have no idea who he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

There's something wrong with the way the game calculates blocking on some types of rounds. I blocked three premium shells from BZ-176s, so I have no idea how the hell I have 1200 total blocking. Those three shots alone should be 1,5 times that.

Would've been an even better round except a shot of mine left the TNH on 1 HP, and then a green pen shot was eaten up by ~something~.

Also:

1/2 of the grinds of the month done.

Trying to decide if I want to keep the CC 1 Mk II or sell it. It was a fun tank, but due to the way EU matchmaking is right now, I'm a T9 in T10 games about 80% of the time, so might as well just play the Minotauro, which is better in every way. And it's not like we're going to have an event like in World of Warships, where you can get rewards for every tank you play. Or T9 Ranked or something.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 22, 2023