Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

The loving Boomer Brained idea that "sitting = lazy" for any kind of service job when they sit the entire shift for THEIR managerial job.

It keeps employees anxious and mentally worn-down, and over many months/years creates microinjuries and other complications that makes them less physically able to rally themselves. It's sick poo poo and you should fight or run from any place that tries it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I swear my mom does not have dementia, but being a month into her retirement, she's decided she has to look into cutting corners on cost everywhere, which is something she probably should have done before she retired. She's been emailing our car and home insurance people non-stop for the past month trying to figure out if there's any way to lower the price without losing the comprehensive coverage.

Today she had the bright idea to ask our agent how much it would cost to have the pool coverage removed. Now we had a pool, and I'm pretty sure we had insurance on it, but the pool is filled in now. Apparently at some point I thought she would have already removed the coverage, but the insurance people are now saying we never even told them we had a pool on grounds when we had a pool for over 20 years.

I finally snapped and told her today she needs to stop contacting anyone about any of this kind of stuff and just go over the homeowner policy handbook we have. Insurance companies are not your friends, and they will take any chance to stop your coverage, so just stop giving them any possible ammunition because you were bored!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I let a friend use my debit card to order a new backpack and she ordered it from a fraudulent website. So after a bit of a headache, I have a new debit card. But, less than a week into having it, my card is shut down because there's tons of fraudulent usage on it!

What's weird about it though is that there are a bunch of amazon.com orders, which I get, you know, it's a fraud thing... though I don't know how they got the debit card number. The amazon purchases aren't connected with my bank account or my actual amazon account; it's just my debit card being used. Secondly, some of the charges are from the town I live in. A bunch of gas station purchases. (they're not from me; I rarely drive and haven't filled my tank in over a month)
So... did someone "clone" my card? Is that a thing you can do?

What's even worse, my bank wants me to talk to them, but I can't on the phone because my phone was run over and is being repaired. My bank's branch is in another city. I don't want to drive all the way there, they won't talk to me over e-mail, I can't talk to them on the phone... argh and it also occurs to me, if I don't get a new debit card, I won't be able to pay for my phone's repair!

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Expect your bank to want a police report (assuming the charges are over like $50, which they likely are). Depending on your local PD, that can be as simple as an online report that takes less than 10 minutes to file.

And yes, cards can be cloned. Gas stations are a favorite target for thieves to put skimmers on the pumps.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

it's great when you get a new therapist and while bringing them up to speed you see all the red flags of past practitioners who jerked you around and wasted your time. Dude gets one more shot tomorrow and I hate how much he got to live in my head rent-free while my attempts at communication either fell flat or were dismissed. Thankfully it wasn't a long investment, and I didn't have high expectations because he's just an LCSW, but still he was attached to a center that promised way more than they've delivered.

MagicBreadRoll
Mar 13, 2017
I took a day off on holiday, returned to work to have Health and Safety shouting at me for not doing a report when I wasn't even on shift. I asked them : why didn't yoyu team notice this on the day of submission? Guy replies: we had no one in.

Literally cannot wrap my brain around it, did enjoy replying to their "what support do you need to complete all reports within 24 hours of it happening email?"with "i was on holiday, physically not here, please review your processes." Now I have to figure out what happened in case the injured person needs some support. Wish me luck

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I've spent the last month putting in 3-5 job applications a day and am still an unemployed loser techbro, and my wife is working two jobs to keep us afloat now.

:d2a:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

It's so loving cold! gently caress!!

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
I am not the only one to figure out how to take eclipse pics with a cellphone and eclipse-glasses. :( All my great ideas are already taken, even if I did come up with them independently.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

I am not the only one to figure out how to take eclipse pics with a cellphone and eclipse-glasses. :( All my great ideas are already taken, even if I did come up with them independently.

Buddy, let me tell you about a revolutionary little idea I had called "the heated toilet seat"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
We saw a dead cat this morning and one of my daughters hasn't stopped crying about it all day

(secretly, same)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Lib and let die posted:

I've spent the last month putting in 3-5 job applications a day and am still an unemployed loser techbro, and my wife is working two jobs to keep us afloat now.

I had a good interview a week ago with a government/court position, the lady even took me on a tour of the office, and said they would have a decision in a few days. I spent all last week on pins and needles and....nothing. No call, no email to say thanks but no thanks. drat.

My mom is retired and between binging Grey's Anatomy, she has been playing this Facebook game, Tropic Trouble, some 3-match game...and for the past week it had stopped working. Which means 2-3 times a DAY she comes to me complaining and saying I fixed it last time (and I did, somehow? at least made it so she could play again but this is a lovely facebook game, maybe tech support finally clicked the new levels on), and now she is texting me at work about if I remember yet what I did, because the company won't email her back, she has cleared her cache and cookies and it won't let her play.

I tried to check it out; the game loads, but on the game map, clicking on ANY castle or level doesn't open the level. She can collect her winning coins, and that is all. She's started bugging me about calling my tech support friend to come and look at her lovely mini PC desktop.

The game loads fine on my computer. It will let her play. But she wants it on hers so she can play nonstop, and I honestly don't want her on mine.

Every loving day she starts in how she can't get any levels to load and DO I REMEMBER HOW I FIXED IT LAST TIME. Like, gently caress, it was months ago, I literally do not! I have read countless reddit and facebook help threads and posts, emailed all kinds of people, literally the game does not work, I do not know what she loving expects for a f2p match game!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

I had a good interview a week ago with a government/court position, the lady even took me on a tour of the office, and said they would have a decision in a few days. I spent all last week on pins and needles and....nothing. No call, no email to say thanks but no thanks. drat.

My mom is retired and between binging Grey's Anatomy, she has been playing this Facebook game, Tropic Trouble, some 3-match game...and for the past week it had stopped working. Which means 2-3 times a DAY she comes to me complaining and saying I fixed it last time (and I did, somehow? at least made it so she could play again but this is a lovely facebook game, maybe tech support finally clicked the new levels on), and now she is texting me at work about if I remember yet what I did, because the company won't email her back, she has cleared her cache and cookies and it won't let her play.

I tried to check it out; the game loads, but on the game map, clicking on ANY castle or level doesn't open the level. She can collect her winning coins, and that is all. She's started bugging me about calling my tech support friend to come and look at her lovely mini PC desktop.

The game loads fine on my computer. It will let her play. But she wants it on hers so she can play nonstop, and I honestly don't want her on mine.

Every loving day she starts in how she can't get any levels to load and DO I REMEMBER HOW I FIXED IT LAST TIME. Like, gently caress, it was months ago, I literally do not! I have read countless reddit and facebook help threads and posts, emailed all kinds of people, literally the game does not work, I do not know what she loving expects for a f2p match game!

I know I'm just enabling the boomer distraction box by helping, but you can have her try it in a different web browser to see if that'll work on her machine. I've had some times where clearing the cache/cookies doesn't actually go the whole nine yards, or maybe I had to clear the cache/cookies and then reboot the computer or something, but a different browser did work. That's usually my sign to uninstall/reinstall the offending browser and delete all data while doing it.

I've helped a lot of people get signed into Facebook thanks to working tech helpdesk, and I'd be ecstatic if the worst of the problems was just playing legally-distinct Gardenscapes. I got to listen to a 70+ year old man wheeze in my face about how Facebook has "such inappropriate advertisements full of lewd and offensive things" and I pray that man never finds out what targeted advertisements are. He would double over so badly that he could fold himself into fun new origami shapes

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

bawk posted:

I know I'm just enabling the boomer distraction box by helping, but you can have her try it in a different web browser to see if that'll work on her machine. I've had some times where clearing the cache/cookies doesn't actually go the whole nine yards, or maybe I had to clear the cache/cookies and then reboot the computer or something, but a different browser did work. That's usually my sign to uninstall/reinstall the offending browser and delete all data while doing it.

I've helped a lot of people get signed into Facebook thanks to working tech helpdesk, and I'd be ecstatic if the worst of the problems was just playing legally-distinct Gardenscapes. I got to listen to a 70+ year old man wheeze in my face about how Facebook has "such inappropriate advertisements full of lewd and offensive things" and I pray that man never finds out what targeted advertisements are. He would double over so badly that he could fold himself into fun new origami shapes

Oh man he will heart attack at targeted ads. Soni want to know what lewd things is all over his feed?

I've tried other browsers and nope. Same with incognito mode on chrome.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I ate a big salad for lunch and I'm hungry again 3 hours later. My A1C just made it into prediabetes range so I'm trying to adjust.

But like, how the gently caress is this any better? Now I want to go binge eat or at least, have more food. How is this any different than if I shot my blood sugar up and back down? There's hardly any protein on a salad bar besides gross boiled eggs.

And like, I'm trying to figure what I should be eating instead and I see "Eat nothing but meat", "Go vegetarian and definitely don't have any meat because inflammation bro", "Eat fruit", "lol don't eat fruit that's all sugar", "Eat salmon and avocados, that's affordable right?".

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Broke a molar off this morning. Luckily it was already root canaled but still an ordeal. Also, my dentist leans in hard so I was smothered in tits for two hours. He really needs to lose some weight.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

There's the problem. If you want a filling salad, you pretty much have to make it yourself so you can add every veggie under the sun, and salad bars give you what, carrots/cucumbers/broccoli if you're lucky? :(

Figure a balanced meal to be largely veggies, with a bit of meat and a bit of potato, rather than the old version of Big Meat, Big Potato, token amount of veggies. My doctor recommended only one type of carb per meal, so if you have a baked potato, you wouldn't have bread as well. Also, be prepared for how tiny the "recommended serving size" from a dietician is, compared to a restaurant or a hungry person.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Not today, but yesterday, I got bait-and-switched into an interview to work on law enforcement software and if I'm offered the job and don't take it I'm ineligible for unemployment

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Spent $302.14 at the eye doctor today. $1k before insurance.

Real cool country I live in.

mystes
May 31, 2006

My car's battery seems to have died completely enough for the computer to reset and I'm going to be away and I need to have it inspected this month so I'm probably going to have to hurry and drive it a bunch when I get back to get the computer to pass the emissions tests which is going to be annoying since I've had trouble getting it ready after the battery died before

mystes has a new favorite as of 20:21 on Nov 3, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I've heard some places you have to get your car "inspected" for "emissions"??

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

credburn posted:

I've heard some places you have to get your car "inspected" for "emissions"??

The woke mob has gone too far!

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

I think Volkswagen can help with that.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Lib and let die posted:

Not today, but yesterday, I got bait-and-switched into an interview to work on law enforcement software and if I'm offered the job and don't take it I'm ineligible for unemployment

take the job, play GTA all day, claim you're doing important research

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I teach. Only in my second year so still make mistakes here and there, but I made a very stupid mistake and left answer key on a midterm. Only affected small amount of people, but obviously this is a big test and I don’t have a backup. My
plans are basically: Go back tonight and make a completely new test (only have to do half of one luckily) or shuffle the answer key and just do the same test again cause they probably won’t remember the answers.

I made a stupid mistake last year as well, so it’s eating at me and making me worried about job security.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Woke up to frozen pipes this morning because I can't afford to keep the heat on because I'm saving money for my sons birthday at the end of the month. God drat I hate winter and christmas.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My boss hosed everything up by taking away employees to help elsewhere for literal hours, leaving us with too few workers to keep up with the workload. Then when it unsurprisingly all blew up and had to shut down until help arrived, he threw a passive aggressive tantrum as if I was the cause of it.

No bitch, you are literally the sowing/reaping tweet made manifest
https://twitter.com/screaminbutcalm/status/1105577845642878976

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
my supervisor(not my boss) is completely worthless. everyone knows they are worthless, when you bring them up with anyone who has worked with them previously, the immediate response is "oh yeah, they're garbage/they suck/they are worthless/I can't stand them" or worse. the bosses hate them, the bosses of the bosses hate them, but somehow still nothing has been done about them.

it came to a head when I was sorting boxes and calling out that a certain truck needed help and for someone to go in and start working in it, over and over, for a half hour. I was working in a position that cannot go and do something about it myself, all I can do is notify others that a given truck is getting wrecked and needs help. The supervisor stood one truck over, unmoving, on their phone, for the entire time, occasionally pushing in boxes to the truck they were standing at, which did not need help. Eventually the truck I was calling out got so completely buried that I could no longer send boxes to it because there was absolutely no room, and still nobody had gone in to work in it, nor had the supervisor moved, and so I was forced to shut off the entire belt. but this does not stop the flow of boxes coming to me, it just means the people sending the boxes start stacking them on the stopped belt, so eventually I get annihilated by a giant pile after I start the belt up again and that bunch of stacks of boxes reaches me and I have to shut the belt off repeatedly to go through it all. hence, I never want to stop the belt if I can help it.

I had to shut everything down again this time, directly because of my supervisor's inaction, and I lost it. since I could no longer do my job, and with the knowledge that every second the area was shut down was exacerbating how badly I'd get hosed once it turned back on, I went up to them and asked why they thought it was okay to ignore me for literally a half hour when I'm trying to prevent this exact scenario. their response was to get extremely arms crossed/eyerollingly dismissive, basically "we are running understaffed, and I have my own responsibilities. you do your job, I'll do mine." no, I CAN SEE YOU DOING NOTHING THE WHOLE TIME, you are literally just refusing to move because you are a lazy piece of poo poo who wants to do the minimum amount of effort. They are far from the first of this type I've had to work with, but they're absolutely the most indignant of any of those when actually called out on it. Shocking that when they went on vacation for two weeks, the area ran incredibly smoothly, but when they come back, poo poo starts burning down again. I called them on that too, that it's weird that other people can run the area smoothly but they can't, they retort that the area runs amazingly when I'm out and that the guys who cover for me do a way better job than I do. The argument devolves into pithy snipes before I throw up my hands and leave, and they snidely remark "heh, I've been recording the whole thing, ya dumb bitch". I guess we'll see if they try to act on that or if it was an empty threat(or just another lie)

I guess the silver lining is that I approached my boss about it and asked them about what they said, if the area runs fine without me, if the people who cover when I'm out are way better than me, etc, and asked him to be completely 100% honest with me. he was just like "nah it's a shitshow and everyone else have to shut things down as much or more than you do", so that was a nice confidence boost in my abilities as well as acknowledgement that my supervisor is even more of a compulsive liar than I figured they were. One thing I've heard from people who worked with them prior to me is that they tend to try to gossip between people to get them focused on each other to avoid having the spotlight shone on them, which definitely feels apt with my experience, because they love to poo poo talk people behind their back and blame them for things going south rather than their own failure at running things properly. Supposedly they're going to change shifts at some point, but who knows when that will be when the building is so shorthanded already, that the building manager won't even shed this absolute boat anchor of a person. I long for that day, good loving lord do I, but I have a feeling that won't be until at least after christmas season. ugh

also, this theme(set to .75 speed) goes through my head whenever they move or react, because this is the literal pace they move at(taking one step every 1-2 seconds). if you've had a boss like that, you know exactly what I mean. "plodding" is the best descriptor for them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c9TDI8wpN4

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

the steam store is so loving garbage

I played The Talos Principle 2 for about 30 hours, I've also played Viewfinder and replayed Ghost Trick recently, so all of my recent games are Puzzle/Detective/Mystery games. Even with PVP/Multiplayer/etc. filtered, about one quarter of the games Steam recommends on the main store page are free-to-play multiplayer shooter games with lootboxes. I'll see "Because You Played: The Talos Principle 2, We Think You'll Enjoy:" and it's recommending me the Spiderman remaster I already own on Playstation/could've sworn I hit Ignore on already. I've played a couple different roguelike deckbuilders and Steam loves them so much that it'll happily give me 10 different recommendations related to Roguelike Deckbuilders, but puzzle games often get jammed together under one section for "Puzzle Platformer" or something

If I go grab the Detective/Mystery tag itself, about 1/3 are games I've already played, about 1/3 are games that aren't detective and/or mystery games (asset-flip hidden object games) and the last 1/3 are horror games, even though I have every variation on "_____ horror" filtered out by default. You can't ignore any of these games when you're browsing by tags, so if I want to manually ignore all these assetflip games and horror games, I have to click onto the store page, then click ignore, and I'm pretty sure that still fucks up my algorithm because I clicked-through on the game's store page in order to ignore it

If I don't keep the horror tags filtered, Steam will pretty much only show me horror games, usually multiplayer horror games that I've literally never played in my life like Deception, Devour, Phasmophobia, stuff like that. Even with the filter tags on, the top result for Mystery/Detective was a game called "Don't Scream"

I swear to god it's like there's a switch labeled "I'm a twitch streamer only show me the clickbait horror multiplayer poo poo" button someplace that's permanently stuck to "ON"

I just wanna play some more loving sherlock holmes games, steam. :cripes:

I don't even dislike horror games! I just ended up resorting to buying them from literally any place else because it fucks up Steam's recommendation algorithm so badly!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
hosed up my jury duty summons with Google auto-filling in the incorrect address. I fixed it, but the system read that as a new address, and now says I need to register my new address with the DMV. Fuuuuuuuuuck.

My friend finally had some free time to talk today, but after just two texts she had to run because her kid keeps screaming she is afraid of monsters. Then kid starts laughing and screams it again. I don't want to tell my friend I Told You So, but thinking this was cute for the past few months when the kid would get out of bed or cry because she wanted more cuddles or a hug or another story, and Mommy always obliged, but that is decidedly not cute now. I mean, when I was a kid I did the "I can't sleep I wanna stay up with you" like twice before my parents nipped that poo poo in the bud. Rewarding a tantrum invites more tantrums.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Apologies but I’ve just been informed that this position has been eliminated in the upcoming budget year. I appreciate your interest in [NONPROFIT ORG], we will keep you in mind should a new position arise in the future.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

as an addendum to the previous post:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm really convinced my job isn't going to get me anywhere but it's so easy for an average paycheck that I don't know if I should give it up.

I could go for something else, maybe get a 10K bump but then have to travel and be on call.

I'm not lazy, I just love not having to think of my job as soon as I clock out.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If you can live well enough on your current paycheck, I believe happiness/work-life balance takes precedence over ten thousand dollars. Don’t sacrifice your happiness for lucre

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
I knew this was coming but still held out a little hope that it wouldn't.

So for a little backstory 10 weeks or so ago I got summoned for jury duty, something I'd rather not have to do but not the end of the world, anyway I turned up and they led us into the courtroom for selection and I get picked right off the bat, oh well what are you going to do. So I'm sitting there while they read out the charges and more charges oh god there are so many loving charges like ten pages worth and then the witness list all 100+ of them and I'm desperately hoping that I know somebody anybody so I can excuse myself from this six week trial but I come up empty. The jury selection is completed and the judge sends us into the jury room only to bring us back out again immediately and calls me up to talk with them, they tell me I am excused from the jury and free to go, I head home and think nothing more of it.

Everything is all fine and dandy till I go back to work and my supervisor pulls my aside and asks some oddly probing questions about my jury duty before finally leveling with me, the reason I got off the jury is that the person on the stand that day was owner and director of the company I work at, holy poo poo!

Now comes today and I find out me and 40 something other people only have one day of work left because the company is shutting down forever, the kicker is that this was one of the chillest nicest places full of great people I have ever worked at.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

coldpudding posted:

So for a little backstory 10 weeks or so ago I got summoned for jury duty, something I'd rather not have to do but not the end of the world, anyway I turned up and they led us into the courtroom for selection and I get picked right off the bat, oh well what are you going to do. So I'm sitting there while they read out the charges and more charges oh god there are so many loving charges like ten pages worth and then the witness list all 100+ of them and I'm desperately hoping that I know somebody anybody so I can excuse myself from this six week trial but I come up empty. The jury selection is completed and the judge sends us into the jury room only to bring us back out again immediately and calls me up to talk with them, they tell me I am excused from the jury and free to go, I head home and think nothing more of it.

Everything is all fine and dandy till I go back to work and my supervisor pulls my aside and asks some oddly probing questions about my jury duty before finally leveling with me, the reason I got off the jury is that the person on the stand that day was owner and director of the company I work at, holy poo poo!

Now comes today and I find out me and 40 something other people only have one day of work left because the company is shutting down forever, the kicker is that this was one of the chillest nicest places full of great people I have ever worked at.

mystes
May 31, 2006

coldpudding posted:

Yikes

I'm going to assume your boss was a serial killer and you got lucky he was caught before he could murder you though

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I slept for 16 hours almost straight. some people might be like "oh well you must have really needed it!!!" and I would respond "9-10 hours at the maximum would be okay for ~must have needed it~, I got poo poo to do on my rare off days"

now I'm under a time crunch to get poo poo done before my mom's upcoming spinal surgery in a little under two days.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
My grandmother told me another person who was real significant to me as a kid has died.

I'm 39, I guess I'm at that age where those who were grownups when I was a kid are now dying off. But gently caress, man, honestly I went from age 0 to 37 and only ever knew two people that died: my grandfather and my great-grandmother. Between 37 and 39 I've known more than twenty friends, relatives, coworkers, or other people really close to me die. I'm so numb to it really that it's just, well, add another loving body to the pile. It's weird because it is sad, but it no longer hits. If my best friend died tomorrow I would be sad for obvious reasons but I feel like the weight of his death wouldn't hurt so bad, not like it would have two years before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
Someone just an hour ago pulled a gun shaped lighter on me and thought that it was the most hilarious poo poo ever when I flinched.