Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They'd already cast and recorded both Sonic and probably Tails before then, I'd imagine, and the movie was basically complete. That said, you're probably not wrong. I think it mighta given Hollywood a wake up about changing poo poo for no reason in adaptations.

That said they probably were plenty and rightly confident in Jim Carrey.

I mean cartoony super villain is a role Jim Carrey was born to play. I literally can't think of a better guy to play a robot building mad scientist obsessed with killing a super fast hedgehog, dude nails the part and managed to be equal parts hilarious and genuinely threatening in a classic Disney villain way. Bravo, no notes.

Here's a something I think about : The existence of Ugly Sonic also implies the existence of Ugly Tails. Think about it: the movie was essentially finished with that design, and Tails has a cameo at the end, so there must have been a 3D Tails model with that same design aesthetic as Ugly Sonic made. I bet it's terrifying, would love to see that Ugly Tails 3D model piece of lost media recovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Remember that Tails in the first movie was a two-line cameo post-credits scene, they likely used the original voice actor because a sequel wasn't remotely certain yet and was way too early for casting a celebrity voice, and then momentum just kinda carried that through.

Especially because they got a fairly big bit of probably unexpected free positive response from the Sonic fanbase for using the original VA, and they wanted to exploit that. Later on there was a minor fan kerfuffle that Tails's VA's name wasn't on the poster for Sonic 2 and they had new versions of the poster made with her credit included and shipped them out to cinemas to replace the originals, so they were definitely staying aware of it.

One of the artists actually did say that they never got far enough on Sonic 1 for an Ugly Tails: at the point where the decision was made to revamp the movie looks, that scene only existed as a basic previs with blocky figures. The movie was far from finished. When a trailer comes out, it's usually most of the finished FX at the time.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 14, 2023

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I mean cartoony super villain is a role Jim Carrey was born to play. I literally can't think of a better guy to play a robot building mad scientist obsessed with killing a super fast hedgehog, dude nails the part and managed to be equal parts hilarious and genuinely threatening in a classic Disney villain way. Bravo, no notes.

Here's a something I think about : The existence of Ugly Sonic also implies the existence of Ugly Tails. Think about it: the movie was essentially finished with that design, and Tails has a cameo at the end, so there must have been a 3D Tails model with that same design aesthetic as Ugly Sonic made. I bet it's terrifying, would love to see that Ugly Tails 3D model piece of lost media recovered.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoned_Fox

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It really does feel like a golden age Disney short and I can spot some of the little references like Henry looking like Casey Jones, the chugga chugga having the same cadence as little toot.

Dunno why I like the detail of the Railroad Baron's Daughter actually helping Henry shuffle coal while the Baron himself is useless but I do.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1724148740477358249?s=20

So it turns out when you constantly screw over the people who work with you it makes people not want to keep working with you.

Can you claim a tax write-off on the lost potential revenue of a hypothetical film project that was never actually started? Asking for a friend...

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Robindaybird posted:

It really does feel like a golden age Disney short and I can spot some of the little references like Henry looking like Casey Jones, the chugga chugga having the same cadence as little toot.

Dunno why I like the detail of the Railroad Baron's Daughter actually helping Henry shuffle coal while the Baron himself is useless but I do.

The Baron looked like an old-timey mutton-choppy reskin of Sykes from Oliver & Company. Could totally be a Glen Keane character.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I like that they didn't make him actively villainous. (Yes in real life railroad barons were nasty people but that was labour exploitation and not tech advancement). For the story being told here casting him as a villain would've been easy but reductive.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 14, 2023

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I was thinking more with Samson, he's just more - excuse the pun - so tunnel-visioned on his job than being actively malicious as he would be if this was a Thomas the Tank Engine type of show, he's the hotshot guy trying to prove he is the right train for the job.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Really neat, Pokemon animations have been so delightful lately and i love stop motion

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1724535193816486307?s=20

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I hate that. Like viscerally.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hihohe posted:

Really neat, Pokemon animations have been so delightful lately and i love stop motion

This is the pokemon content I want. Maybe do animal crossing too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hihohe posted:

Making Dragonite a fuzzy felt creature instantly makes me like Dragonite more.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Doesn't good stop motion like that tend to be hideously expensive compared to the animation used for a series these days?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is it real stop motion or just stop motion style cg?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mystes posted:

Is it real stop motion or just stop motion style cg?

It's being done by dwarf studios who made their name doing stop motion so I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be legit.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Real Stop Motion, looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh_Bfi3k_xc

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

MikeJF posted:

Doesn't good stop motion like that tend to be hideously expensive compared to the animation used for a series these days?

Pokemon is literally the largest franchise ever. Like not even Star Wars even gets close. Nintendo can afford it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

They have blue screens so I'm guessing based on that a lot of the backgrounds are cg and it's pretty cg heavy in general but the characters and parts of the foregrounds are real stop motion?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

mystes posted:

I'm guessing based on that a lot of the backgrounds are cg and it's pretty cg heavy in general but the characters/foregrounds are real stop motion?

I wouldn't be surprised if the backgrounds are largely 'real' too but it's just easier to use different passes and composite things together than it is to try to do everything all in one pass. Especially if you're messing with scale of models and field focus depth.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 15, 2023

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Getting some strong Postman Pat vibes.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Trainer Ash
Trainer Ash,
Levelled up his Scyther
Now it knows Slash

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

https://x.com/FilmUpdates/status/1724536668542079098?s=20

Hope this goes somewhere because he's right and tax write-offing films and tv shows like this should be illegal.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Zaslav hosed UP going after Wile E Coyote

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Zaslav using his ACME trap to shutdown the Roadrunner movie but it hurts him instead.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Pixeltendo posted:

Zaslav using his ACME trap to shutdown the Roadrunner movie but it hurts him instead.

Lol

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

https://x.com/FilmUpdates/status/1724536668542079098?s=20

Hope this goes somewhere because he's right and tax write-offing films and tv shows like this should be illegal.

I'd be fine with it, if it means they have to put the work in public domain.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

This right here. If you truly believe it to be non-profitable, prove it

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
There's a beautiful poetry to Warner's neglected mascots being the spark kicking all this off. Then it becomes hilarious when you consider the plot is literally about Wile E. Coyote suing an exploitative corporation that messed with him one time too many.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Heck, anything not "in print" should be in public domain (maybe after a certain amount of time), because at that point nobody is profiting from the copyright.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Hihohe posted:

New season of The White Lotus looking good.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Total Meatlove posted:

Trainer Ash
Trainer Ash,
Levelled up his Scyther
Now it knows Slash

First, love this to pieces. It's absolute brain poison.

Second, I had no idea so much Postman Pat had been made during my lifetime. I've only ever seen the initial 13 episodes. There's a movie! With Rupert Grint and David Tennant?!

Big fan of WB's animators fighting for their rights, especially over a movie about a character I love, and I absolutely agree that things that are out of print because of neglect should be in the public domain, but finding out there are almost 200 episodes of a show I haven't seen since I was a kid takes precedent.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I still cannot believe they never released the rest of the Ugly Sonic footage. Make it like a charity drive goal, or a bonus on a collector's edition or something.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
They're probably wasn't that much actual ugly sonic footage. The only reason the redesign was even remotely possible, even at great expense, is that character CG like that is the absolutely the last part of the film that is completed.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Pyrotoad posted:

I still cannot believe they never released the rest of the Ugly Sonic footage. Make it like a charity drive goal, or a bonus on a collector's edition or something.

Presumably you've already watched Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I have been slowly working my way through the new Clone High season with a friend. Finally finished, and I think it's kind of a fascinating thing.

A lot of the season is mired in a lack of confidence. Jokes and plot are over explained and it drags the good parts down. Plus, the show feels structurally much weaker than season one. Several new clones are added as more or less main characters, but their roles are muddled and their characterization haphazard. It's so weird that these are the major faults of a Lord and Miller show, but that was my read.

There were still things I enjoyed about every episode and I was very happy that something so important to me had gotten such an unlikely reboot. Still, it was a show that I was liking, but with a number of caveats. Then the last few episodes were extremely strong. Episode nine is even visually delightful, especially for animation nerds.

Sort of baffling that a show made for streaming by experienced creative leads would take seven episodes to hit its stride, but it did. I am really glad there's going to be another season.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Well, I can’t really say I’m surprised by the critical response to Wish.

Strange World has a higher RT score

I assume it will do fairly well at the BO though bc they’ve been advertising the poo poo out of it

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 17, 2023

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ouch.

Sadly I'm not surprised, the movie just looks so unpolished, and I hard saw any advertising.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
That little star character is absolutely everywhere, like all over YouTube and mobile game ads etc

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Migration Trailer dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQfo0HJhCnE

Musical choices are very...Illumination, but the movie actually looks pretty good.

On Wish, the art style stills looks weird. I know what they were going for in the "storybook styled" look, but it just doesn't quite look right. The villain also just doesn't really vibe with me. Not seen it yet, but those have been my preliminary thoughts and opinions of it.

Edit: Someone from another thread said the movie was incredibly good and that the theater erupted in applause when it ended so this might turn into a very weird Super Mario Movie situation where there's a big split in scores.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The 7th Guest posted:

Well, I can’t really say I’m surprised by the critical response to Wish.

Strange World has a higher RT score

I assume it will do fairly well at the BO though bc they’ve been advertising the poo poo out of it
It looked generic as hell from the first trailer story-wise, but I'm glad Disney is finally using some cel shading, it looks great