Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

adam west doesn't go south, you know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

dervival posted:

adam west doesn't go south, you know

Remembering the article where Adam West got kicked out of a Hollywood orgy because he kept being in character as Batman

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I see they included some (all?) of the DLC in the Steam release, which is nice. I guess I'll play the Black Cat story next. I'm not familiar with this character, but judging from her appearance in the main story, I'm guessing I'm in for several hours of her going "tee hee you can't catch me Spidey" and it'll end with me getting tricked somehow. I'm ready to have my expectations subverted, but I really, really doubt that that's going to happen.

Wow it happened exactly the way everyone knew it would. So much second-hand embarrassment having to play as Spider-Man in this. Come on dude, have some self-respect. Why the gently caress would you believe this pathological liar, who you know is a pathological liar, when she claims her non-existent son was kidnapped. I guess we'll see what happens in the next DLC, since she's obviously not dead.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Phlegmish posted:

Wow it happened exactly the way everyone knew it would. So much second-hand embarrassment having to play as Spider-Man in this. Come on dude, have some self-respect. Why the gently caress would you believe this pathological liar, who you know is a pathological liar, when she claims her non-existent son was kidnapped. I guess we'll see what happens in the next DLC, since she's obviously not dead.

Because Spidey's the kind of guy who would be haunted for the rest of his life for not doing it just on the off chance she's not lying for once.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah, 'a bit naive but choosing to remain that way rather than become cynical and potentially miss a chance to help someone' sounds perfectly Spider-Man.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I'm considering picking up HROT or Trepang2 while they're on sale. Does anyone have any opinions one way or the other on which I should pick or if I should skip them entirely?

Trepang2 seems like it should be right up my alley, I loved the original F.E.A.R. (The second one not so much, never played the third), but the demo has a lot of arenas where you wait for enemies to spawn in - is the full game like that or are there more linear, hallway-and-room levels to clear out? Does the difficulty stay manageable, at least on normal?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i have not played Trepang2 but HROT rules, it's extremely quake and extremely willing to be silly

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Flair posted:

New humble bundle:
There's five active Humble Bundles right now and I haven't heard of a single game in three of them (action roguelikes, weplay expo, adventures in the 2nd dimension).

Is this just Fanatical-level poo poo or am I out of touch?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

There's five active Humble Bundles right now and I haven't heard of a single game in three of them (action roguelikes, weplay expo, adventures in the 2nd dimension).

Wall World, Cryptark, My Time at Portia, Webbed, and Will You Snail are notable indies. Less so are Toodee & Topdee, Minute of Islands, Dead Estate, Unheard, The Rewinder, and Eastern Exorcist, but I know of 'em

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 16, 2023

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'd say it's a little of column A and a little of column B, although it mostly depends on how plugged in you are to the indies of a particular genre/scene. I recognized almost nothing in Adventures for instance, but knew and heard good things of about half the games in the Action Roguelikes and Weplay.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It is hard to keep up when 1000+ new titles are hitting Steam each month.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I bought Dead Estate a long time ago just for the big titty witch. Only played it a little bit, so I have no opinion on whether it's actually good. Barony is the only game in that bundle on my wishlist and if it were in a lower tier I'd probably get it and give the other games a shot, but I also know myself and that I'd definitely feel compelled to use that 40% off coupon for Gunhead so I'd basically be paying 25 bucks just for Barony and Gunhead and you know what, that actually doesn't sound that bad. I think I maybe just talked myself into it.

e: I did it. As mentioned, I already own Dead Estate, and Cryptark was free recently to promote Gunhead, so have some keys

Dead Estate: 5BK48-5__C2-43RJ7 The missing characters are the name of the android you play as in Nier Automata

?ry_tark: 5JW0?-HLZJB-7IQ_B

skeletronics fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 16, 2023

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Grabbed Dead Estate; thanks!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Trick Question posted:

Trepang2 seems like it should be right up my alley, I loved the original F.E.A.R. (The second one not so much, never played the third), but the demo has a lot of arenas where you wait for enemies to spawn in - is the full game like that or are there more linear, hallway-and-room levels to clear out? Does the difficulty stay manageable, at least on normal?

The whole game is like that. I also loved the original FEAR and loved the demo for Trepang2 but in the full game the levels beyond the first one are mid to very bad with supernatural enemies that show up that are a complete drag to fight. The combat is visceral and fun for the most part but it feels like they had a cool tech demo and had no idea how to make a fun game around it. I refunded it before the 2 hrs were up because the end of the second level was hilariously bad.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cryptark is extremely good.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

i have not played Trepang2 but HROT rules, it's extremely quake and extremely willing to be silly

explosivo posted:

The whole game is like that. I also loved the original FEAR and loved the demo for Trepang2 but in the full game the levels beyond the first one are mid to very bad with supernatural enemies that show up that are a complete drag to fight. The combat is visceral and fun for the most part but it feels like they had a cool tech demo and had no idea how to make a fun game around it. I refunded it before the 2 hrs were up because the end of the second level was hilariously bad.

Sounds like I'm off to Czechoslovakia. Thanks for the advice!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

skeletronics posted:

I bought Dead Estate a long time ago just for the big titty witch. Only played it a little bit, so I have no opinion on whether it's actually good. Barony is the only game in that bundle on my wishlist and if it were in a lower tier I'd probably get it and give the other games a shot, but I also know myself and that I'd definitely feel compelled to use that 40% off coupon for Gunhead so I'd basically be paying 25 bucks just for Barony and Gunhead and you know what, that actually doesn't sound that bad. I think I maybe just talked myself into it.

e: I did it. As mentioned, I already own Dead Estate, and Cryptark was free recently to promote Gunhead, so have some keys

Dead Estate: 5BK48-5__C2-43RJ7 The missing characters are the name of the android you play as in Nier Automata

?ry_tark: 5JW0?-HLZJB-7IQ_B

Snagged Cryptark, tyvm!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Trepang2 is pretty great when it's just fighting normal enemies but they put in other supernatural poo poo in it that does not fit at all. I liked the wave shooting mode but probably would have refunded if I wasn't over 2 hours on it after finishing a few levels and getting annoyed by the previously mentioned enemies and the boss fights.

CHOICE COD
Mar 11, 2007
Sometimes I'll eat money. Just to do it. Just to see how it feels. It feels good, it feels powerful.

Subjunctive posted:

Is there a browser extension that shows your Steam library status for Humble bundles and such? Takes forever since I can’t remember what I previously bought.

In a roundabout way.

You'll need the Augmented Steam browser extension, which can highlight game titles that are in your library or wishlist:

Then join the Indie Bundle Tracker group, which will post announcements about new bundles to your Activity feed, now with highlighted titles:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

skeletronics posted:

I don't think you intended it but technically there are 4 different thing you could type in there.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

owns

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Trick Question posted:

I'm considering picking up HROT or Trepang2 while they're on sale. Does anyone have any opinions one way or the other on which I should pick or if I should skip them entirely?

never played trepang but hrot is really good. quake but browner and more czechoslovakian. and more angry newts with guns and bazookas. and more dudes in wheelchairs with machine guns strapped to the handles.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

sebmojo posted:

Cryptark is extremely good.

FYI if this is all you're interested in it's the $1 for 1 game option. I have barely played Cryptark since I got it for free a little while ago but it's defintiely worth at least $1.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Yeah, 'a bit naive but choosing to remain that way rather than become cynical and potentially miss a chance to help someone' sounds perfectly Spider-Man.

This is more than just naive, it borders on cognitive impairment. He's not just hedging his bets, he seems to genuinely believe she has a son and that he's been kidnapped. I don't know, I guess I was expecting more from the narrative. Maybe the son could be a metaphor for something that actually is emotionally important to her, maybe she could show hints of genuinely caring for Spider-Man despite her general sociopathy, maybe her plan could fall through at the last second, etc. But no, everything happens beat for beat exactly the way anyone could have predicted even if they weren't familiar with the character beforehand. I still have two pieces of DLC to go through, so maybe they do something interesting with Black Cat (whose death is obviously faked) later on in the story - but again, I really doubt it.

MJ should dump his rear end again, not for being overprotective or whatever, but because he's clearly pathetic and gullible to the point of lacking sound judgment. In turn, he should dump her rear end for thinking it's a good idea to sneak into heavily guarded bases without any weapons, tools, abilities or powers, on several different occasions. You know what, thinking about it, maybe they do belong together

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

like Yen and Geralt

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

This is more than just naive, it borders on cognitive impairment. He's not just hedging his bets, he seems to genuinely believe she has a son and that he's been kidnapped. I don't know, I guess I was expecting more from the narrative. Maybe the son could be a metaphor for something that actually is emotionally important to her, maybe she could show hints of genuinely caring for Spider-Man despite her general sociopathy, maybe her plan could fall through at the last second, etc. But no, everything happens beat for beat exactly the way anyone could have predicted even if they weren't familiar with the character beforehand. I still have two pieces of DLC to go through, so maybe they do something interesting with Black Cat (whose death is obviously faked) later on in the story - but again, I really doubt it.

MJ should dump his rear end again, not for being overprotective or whatever, but because he's clearly pathetic and gullible to the point of lacking sound judgment. In turn, he should dump her rear end for thinking it's a good idea to sneak into heavily guarded bases without any weapons, tools, abilities or powers, on several different occasions. You know what, thinking about it, maybe they do belong together

You are missing the part where Peter thought the kid was his. That is the relevant part of the story

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

fez_machine posted:

poo poo that looks like exactly my bag

Trying it out, and it seems good, but a bit esoteric to actually play (big surprise). The tutorial helped me understand how to play generally speaking, but I'm still not entirely sure of the extent to which I'm actually capable of controlling the board or just being tossed around on it. This is somewhat important, because the only way to cut your losses and run after a certain point (Which is necessary in order to unlock things for future runs? Or at least knowledge of them?) is by ending the Apollyon Ritual which can only be done if all of your tokens are at a specific position on the board.

From what I can see from a brief glance at actual-play videos, I think this might just have been limited to the tutorial and you're given more control once you're tossed into the deep end and it will eventually all become second nature. So be prepared that you might have to get through one level of the "this seems like something I'll bounce off of" feeling before it clicks.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 16, 2023

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ImpAtom posted:

You are missing the part where Peter thought the kid was his. That is the relevant part of the story

why would he think that? this Peter is an asexual virgin

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

To be fair he probably doesn't know where babies come from

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Ah, like the other famously non lethal superhero, Kazuma Kiryu

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

also an asexual virgin

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

kazil posted:

also an asexual virgin

Don't sign your posts, and turn on your monitor !! :twisted: :twisted:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

nooooooo not like this

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Have y'all considered that the actions of the character don't make much sense after a minimal amount of scrutiny because Spider-Man is a character with the depth of a cardboard cutout and the videogame in question that he stars in is yet another piece of modern Marvel schlock?
You're hardly intended to have given it's plot any kind of thought at all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Goa Tse-tung posted:

why would he think that? this Peter is an asexual virgin

If I recall correctly, he has an awkward conversation with MJ about this where he notes that he and Black Cat were loving (it was either before he and MJ were a thing or while they were broken up, I forget which) which is why he thinks the "kid" might be his. I still agree that what was going to happen was pretty obvious, but I was actually more annoyed by the collect-a-thon involving the old cop who was about to retire and only ever spoke to Spider-Man over the radio about the mysterious father of the Black Cat who stole all these paintings and stashed them before being sent away because it was so incredibly obvious he wasn't actually a cop and was the thief getting Spidey to collect the paintings for him but then it wouldn't be Spidey if he wasn't a genius who was also incredibly, beautifully stupid :shobon:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Suddenly today I can't launch steam because I keep getting a steamui.dll fatal error, I tried reinstalling with a fresh download and still get the same error right after it finishes updating :saddowns:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

If I recall correctly, he has an awkward conversation with MJ about this where he notes that he and Black Cat were loving (it was either before he and MJ were a thing or while they were broken up, I forget which) which is why he thinks the "kid" might be his.

What's even 'better' is that Black Cat never actually says or even insinuates that the kid might be his. Spider-Man just actively chooses to immediately believe anything that would allow him to be more easily manipulated. I don't know if there's a name for whichever mental health issue he's clearly suffering from.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Maybe he's just confident in his swimmers.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Morpheus: Do you think that's air you're breathing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Phlegmish posted:

I don't know if there's a name for whichever mental health issue he's clearly suffering from.

He's inevitably a bit of a composite character of other takes on Spider-Man, just due to the nature of the thing, so clearly this is Newspaper Comics Spider-Man influence coming in.