Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Spikey Willow posted:

The UK show was Insurrexion. Kat arm wrestled Terri Runnels. I vaguely remember watching because it was a rare UK PPV.

Found this:
"Post-match, Terri yanked off The Kat's top. Unphased, Kat flashed her puppies to the entire Earls Court Arena."

Didn’t they lose their contract with Sky Sports because of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Didn’t they lose their contract with Sky Sports because of that?

I don’t think so, they stayed on Sky forever. It was only a couple of years after that when Sky actually started putting the US PPVs on actual PPV instead of airing them for free though, which sucked.

Before that only the actual UK PPVs were on PPV.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I just read that they did lose their Sky Sports contract and that's why the Royal Rumble that year was on Channel Five.

EDIT: I'm actually having trouble finding a worthwhile article, but I remember it being a big loving deal back in 1999.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 14, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I just read that they did lose their Sky Sports contract and that's why the Royal Rumble that year was on Channel Five.

EDIT: I'm actually having trouble finding a worthwhile article, but I remember it being a big loving deal back in 1999.

We’re both partially correct

https://mrwrestlingv.wordpress.com/2012/03/25/when-wwe-met-channel-4/

They never lost the contract with Sky but Sky did apparently look to offload some shows over content concerns (but didn’t seem to come to pass on that), and then when the contract was up for renewal Channel 4 bought in because of the wrestling boom and secured a couple of PPVs and Heat until they sold it all back to Sky who carried on as normal.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yay! We're partially correct!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Anyone who refers to breasts as "puppies" should be strapped down and subjected to whatever quantity and intensity of electric shock is necessary to make them stop doing that.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Yay! We're partially correct!

The second best kind of correct!

Halloween Jack posted:

Anyone who refers to breasts as "puppies" should be strapped down and subjected to whatever quantity and intensity of electric shock is necessary to make them stop doing that.

Administered by Kane. Now we just need to find an animal word for testicles. I suggest "hamsters". Kane is going to electrocute your hamsters.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
pupperinos

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Defenestrategy posted:

Alright, what'd be the worst spots then? Which are either/or painful or unsafe but doesnt actually look painful

The Selfrock Bottom/flatliner, is probably uo there. You're taking a flat back bump, which from experience kinda sucks, and the pay off is a move that doesnt even look that good to begin with.
Go 2 Sleep

Also agreed on the flatliner in general. Although I have to say the best looking flatliner IMO, suprisingly, is Baron Corbin's End Of Days. The way the victim is swung away first adds a lot to the perceived impact, and makes it visually clear who is actually supposed to be taking the move.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I hate the Go 2 Sleep. I forget who had a much better version where it's a flip into a backbreaker instead.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Bowens does a gnarly version where it's to the back of the other guy's head, though he hasn't used it much

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

G2S really needs great selling to look good, unless it's early KENTA where he's actually annihilating people

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

:wardlow:’s corner-drape GTS was pretty cool, sad he stopped doing it but it probably sucks to take an elevated face bump into a guys knee

https://youtu.be/VVDDcbIb7uE?feature=shared

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

It really was the superior finisher, even if the setup is somewhat convoluted. He could easily do a pop-up variation too, I guess.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DeathChicken posted:

Bowens does a gnarly version where it's to the back of the other guy's head, though he hasn't used it much
Who's that guy who does a full nelson slam onto his knee?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Halloween Jack posted:

Who's that guy who does a full nelson slam onto his knee?

i dunno but how bout a BIG cobra clutch??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFCcCyxD_jI

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SG Bamboo posted:

G2S really needs great selling to look good, unless it's early KENTA where he's actually annihilating people

Yeah, early G2S rules

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Has Punk ever hit a good-looking one?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Minidust posted:

i dunno but how bout a BIG cobra clutch??
I love everything about this move and I wish he'd kept doing it forever. I like Cobra Clutches, I like backbreakers, I like that he keeps strangling them after the slam, and the ragdoll toss at the end is just :discourse:

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Has Punk ever hit a good-looking one?

I think he hit a couple good ones while feuding with Rey, he's light enough that they usually looked vicious on him

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019

SG Bamboo posted:

it’s this. when the person taking the bump falls forward instead of backwards it looks like death every time. takeshita did it that way in a match on dynamite, I think when hangman used it on him. I also have a strong memory of - of all people - triple H selling it like absolute death during a royal rumble

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The GTS is a move requiring an above average amount of strength and body control. Punk does not generally pass those parameters.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I was asking in the WCW thread about the Road Warriors. From everything I've evr heard, they made their name being big dudes who squashed folks, not having long, five star matches. Somebody said "that was just the standard at the time" and our perception of what makes a great wrestling match has changed a lot since then.

I was asking Reddit about this and someone said TV wrestling back then was mostly squashes and then the big "good" matches were later. I've thought about buying some wrestling DVDs. There's lots of collections of old Texas, Memphis, etc. out there I'd like to own. (I'm sure a lot of it is on YT too but I like physical copies) But that comment has me wondering if it's worth it? If I bought Memphis Wrestling from 1980-something, would it be any good matches, or just squashes to lead up to good matches?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The Good Matches for that era were typically saved for live shows and not television. Most promotions didn't even have PPV, the entire goal was just selling live tickets.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

So I was asking in the WCW thread about the Road Warriors. From everything I've evr heard, they made their name being big dudes who squashed folks, not having long, five star matches. Somebody said "that was just the standard at the time" and our perception of what makes a great wrestling match has changed a lot since then.

I was asking Reddit about this and someone said TV wrestling back then was mostly squashes and then the big "good" matches were later. I've thought about buying some wrestling DVDs. There's lots of collections of old Texas, Memphis, etc. out there I'd like to own. (I'm sure a lot of it is on YT too but I like physical copies) But that comment has me wondering if it's worth it? If I bought Memphis Wrestling from 1980-something, would it be any good matches, or just squashes to lead up to good matches?

yes and no there were bigger matches on tv but the shows were produced to get you to buy tickets to the big show. Memphis there is not much great wrestling on tv lots of great promos and some crazy angles though. If you watch the tv you will see the build but only maybe highlights of the blowoff. You should watch it though Memphis is fun tv more than its not, Become one of the few people here that actively watch 80s stuff and love it.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Memphis put bigger matches on TV than a lot of other territories because they didn't run big cities and needed to pull out more stops to draw people. It's a lot of fun and has a faster pace/more comedy than other promotions at the time.

I'd also recommend 80s Mid Atlantic for fun squashes and promos, since wrestling TV was more or less an infomercial for bigger untelevised arena shows back then. Mid Atlantic also had the largest and funniest gulf between the stars and the job guys.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Suplex Liberace posted:

yes and no there were bigger matches on tv but the shows were produced to get you to buy tickets to the big show. Memphis there is not much great wrestling on tv lots of great promos and some crazy angles though. If you watch the tv you will see the build but only maybe highlights of the blowoff. You should watch it though Memphis is fun tv more than its not, Become one of the few people here that actively watch 80s stuff and love it.

Yeah, if you got something like Lawler and Gilbert it'd be more of a big angle (say, attempted vehicular homicide) that would make you want to see them finish it at the arena. That said vast chunks of Memphis TV are a lot of fun and worth watching. Even the kind of bad stuff isn't boring which puts it above some promotions.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The thing I've learned about watching AWA and old territory shows is that even when the matches aren't "good" there's an indescribable energy that makes everything a blast to watch. And sometimes you get crazy cool wrestlers you didn't know existed. Nothing's more fun than becoming a huge fan of some territory guy that never gets the shine from modern companies.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

sometimes i just watch terry gordy mid-south squash matches where he gets bored with his opponents and goes after drunk rednecks in the crowd instead

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

sometimes i just watch terry gordy mid-south squash matches where he gets bored with his opponents and goes after drunk rednecks in the crowd instead

One of my favorite wrestler/fan interactions is the unhinged chain-swinging maniac Bruiser Brodie chasing legit terrified Japanese fans through the bleachers just going berserko mode

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

you cant find the rowdy crowds like that anymore. 5 cent beer night is no more.

Also gonna keep shouting out 80s AJPW tv that is on youtube in allmost complete form. Its such an easy watch and the wrestling is good!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I loooooove 80s and 90s AJPW so much. Some of my favorite wrestling ever.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I loooooove 80s and 90s AJPW so much. Some of my favorite wrestling ever.

i dig what dave r/ts

https://twitter.com/vintagepuro/status/1707231125901324580

this is 1985 ??

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah Crush Gals All Japan Women were light years ahead in terms of style. It's why Terry Funk said you need to watch them back in the 80's

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
AJPW is basically everything you could ever want in a promotion.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

thats AJW not AJPW. AJW is also up on youtube in mostly complete years and its also super kick rear end

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, both AJW and AJPW are just phenomenal times. There's tons of great stuff on YouTube for both. Some five hour long AJW shows with full English subs for promos even, it's great.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The thing I've learned about watching AWA and old territory shows is that even when the matches aren't "good" there's an indescribable energy that makes everything a blast to watch. And sometimes you get crazy cool wrestlers you didn't know existed. Nothing's more fun than becoming a huge fan of some territory guy that never gets the shine from modern companies.

Yeah, I'm not a 'everything modern is bad' person by any stretch but we're just never going to hear crowds that go that sort of nuclear like Dallas at the height of the Von Erichs on Greensboro at its peak quite that way again. Or like in Mid-South where is Junkyard Dog the greatest worker ever? No. Are those matches awesome because the crowd will kill and die for him? Yes.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I'm not a 'everything modern is bad' person by any stretch but we're just never going to hear crowds that go that sort of nuclear like Dallas at the height of the Von Erichs on Greensboro at its peak quite that way again. Or like in Mid-South where is Junkyard Dog the greatest worker ever? No. Are those matches awesome because the crowd will kill and die for him? Yes.

That was another suggestion about why standards have changed for match quality. Back then, with kayfabe and pre-MMA, people believed big jacked up dudes like eh Road Warriors could beat up everyone. Now with kayfabe being totally dead and MMA, those larger-than-life figures no longer equal "must be the biggest badass around."

But yeah, I'll def check out Memphis. I'm glad to hear it's good. cuz even from the little I've seen of him, I love Jimmy Hart and wanna see more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Mid 80s to 90s Joshi where it was just ladies in plain-rear end swimsuits trading concussions is the best. :allears: