Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Deep rock galactic is getting a "vampire survivors" game in Q1 2024.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6koRh1v3nU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

sounds good. will probably just stick with Kiwami 2 then 6

guess ill need to start that in the next few months if i want any hope of getting to LaD next year

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

they've released a ton of new maps for Mario Kart (for Nintendo Online subscribers)

yeah but a bunch of them are dogshit from mobile games and the levels are just boring and flat. maybe 30% of the new levels are good.
i want a whole new game with new gimmicks, drat it!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

not a VG but I've been using the FIST system in my roleplaying game group and man it is a ton of fun to make characters randomly with that

Just picked that book up and I love it

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

i think it's cool when games integrate other types of play like this and I hope more games do it in the future.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Hatebag posted:

yeah but a bunch of them are dogshit from mobile games and the levels are just boring and flat. maybe 30% of the new levels are good.
i want a whole new game with new gimmicks, drat it!

Yeah, fair, I'd rather have another Double Dash than like the "optimized" version of Mario Kart

Gumball Gumption posted:

Just picked that book up and I love it

The tables in the back half are so good, you can roll up the lore for an entire mission in like 5 minutes

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Final Fantasy 7 in February

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i havent played LaD yet, so i will hold off on the newest one

I want to play all the main Yakuza games leading up to it to fully understand any references, but i might just do Kiwami 2 and 6 so that theres a chance i can get to LaD in 2024. Ive already beaten 0 and Kiwami 1

Yakuza as a series, as an art form, repeats itself so many times that you won't really be lost no matter order you take the series in.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

sounds good. will probably just stick with Kiwami 2 then 6

guess ill need to start that in the next few months if i want any hope of getting to LaD next year

if you're talking about narrative gulf then y2 -> 6 would definitely be it, lol

but you get the core concept, I think any of them can be enjoyed perfectly well on their own merits. there's just going to be a lot of plot cohesion you'll be missing. every main game starts with a little "do you want a barebones rundown of the series and dramatis personae up to this point" and there's a option in the menu where you can get descriptions of all the players and their relationships to each other, it'll be fine

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Every Japanese developer with anything left to release is putting out games in the first three months of 2024 because that's the last quarter for the financial year.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

the main risk with jumping around in yakuza is that it's a contiguous narrative so the games have no problem spoiling the endings and major beats of what came before. it's like jumping ahead a season in a tv show

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

so 2023 has been an incredible year for games, but are there any notable releases for 2024?

only thing that comes to mind is Elden Ring dlc. honestly not too worried if 2024 is a drought since i will likely be spending most the year catching up on all the incredible stuff that came out this year

i think the not yet announced monster hunter game is probably going to come out in 2024

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Buck Wildman posted:

the main risk with jumping around in yakuza is that it's a contiguous narrative so the games have no problem spoiling the endings and major beats of what came before. it's like jumping ahead a season in a tv show

the plots are all so convoluted i can't really see that being a problem. an explanation of any given game is just a mad lib where the only phrases are "betrayal", "secret korean", and "hysterical blindness"

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

yes, they're overall p self-contained stories and the main flow is kiryu getting increasingly old and sick of his past life dragging him back into things when he just wants to live quietly with his family, until it all comes to a head in 6

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Buck Wildman posted:

if you're talking about narrative gulf then y2 -> 6 would definitely be it, lol

but you get the core concept, I think any of them can be enjoyed perfectly well on their own merits. there's just going to be a lot of plot cohesion you'll be missing. every main game starts with a little "do you want a barebones rundown of the series and dramatis personae up to this point" and there's a option in the menu where you can get descriptions of all the players and their relationships to each other, it'll be fine

for sure, i guess i just want to know what Kiryu was doing most recently before jumping into the new character and theres no way i could make my way through the whole series without burning out

going from Kiwami 2 to 6 seems achievable to me though and if i somehow am craving more Yakuza after 7, then i can go back and play through 3-5 at my leisure

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hatebag posted:

the plots are all so convoluted i can't really see that being a problem. an explanation of any given game is just a mad lib where the only phrases are "betrayal", "secret korean", and "hysterical blindness"

I'm imagining someone playing Yakuza Like A Gaiden With No Name as their first Yakuza. I think narratively, the alluded references would go over literally every head. Mechanically it seems to have all the series mainstays. Th̷e̶ C̵̬̮̬̽́͗͊̀a̸̪̣̬̦̙͖̐̄̓̈́̈́b̷̢̗̞͉̄̓ę̸̤̥͍͍̎̏̎͆ŕ̶̛̞e̵͚̙͐̇͗̈́͠t̵̢̛͍̦̙͛͑ C̸͓͒̈́͆̊̀͝l̶̨̛̼̍̆̾̚u̷͙̰̇̈́̾̍͝b̶̡̳͉͔̂̏̑͐͊ ̵̢̡͍͚̗̣̌̊i̵̗͓̠̮̾̀s̴̺͇̫̦̯̼̍͘ I̸̛͙̥̎̓̀̅̇͐̿̇̒̅̈́͝m̶̢͎͙͉̣̤̮͚̲̯̪͇̊ͅm̵̛̜̺̾͌͌̃̈͆̿͌̉e̶̢̨̹̮̳͈̤͇̮̙͆͆͗͗̄̉̄͒̈́̚̕͝ṛ̴̡̡̥̦̲̺̻͔̖̖͓̓͗͋̇̈͊͌͊͜͜͠s̶͈̭̥̝͕̄̽̓̉̂̄̿̂̾́͌͝͠͠ͅǐ̶̡̨̹̱͉͎͔͍̞̦͖̗͇̱̹͜͠v̶͙͖̝̪̼͇̯̺͎̠̩̼̯̪̒͜ę̸͓̻̥̱̳̬̾ ̶̛̤͎͚̂̓̊̄̀͠͝ͅŅ̷͙͍͇̜͓̤̜̳̘̈̾͆̅̀͋̈̾̕͝ͅO̵̙̲͔̬̎̆̀̏̓̍͆̀́̔́̊̑͝Ẅ̶̧̧̜̠̘͎̰̟̘̭̦͙̟͈͉̦̳́̑͜͠

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

gaiden is gonna be completely lost on you if you haven't played at least 6, it's in a lot of ways an extension of that story

I'll have my thoughts on gaiden and its place in everything when I finish it

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i also want to play Ishin and the Judgement series at some point, but lol that wont be for a drat long time

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I have never played 6 and the Joryu's motivations are immediately apparent, explained, and straightforward.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

I have never played 6 and the Joryu's motivations are immediately apparent, explained, and straightforward.

well sure, I think that's true of him in any of the games lol, I mean more of how he got to his circumstances in a lot of ways though they did p much completely show you the ending of 6 to make it clear

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

someone already said caves of qud 1.0, but caves of qud 1.0

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i also want to play Ishin and the Judgement series at some point, but lol that wont be for a drat long time

well ishin is a completely removed story so you can do that whenever. the Judgment games rule and are largely disconnected from the main series - the first is roughly concurrent with y4-5 and the sequel takes place not long after y7

Buck Wildman has issued a correction as of 18:00 on Nov 16, 2023

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Buck Wildman posted:

well ishin is a completely removed story so you can do that whenever. the Judgment games rule and are largely disconnected from the main series - the first is roughly concurrent with y4-5 and the sequel takes place not long after y7

i know, i just want to tackle most of the main series before doing spin-offs

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I love these silly violent games

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm busy blendering my way through Elden Ring again (turns out using a real weapon is a lot easier than doing the whole drat thing with a bow) so I cannot fault anyone else's taste in silly violent games.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Someone mentioned Night in the Woods lately, I think the dev got too sick to work? Anyway is it good? Just saw a discount pop up on GoG.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

genericnick posted:

Someone mentioned Night in the Woods lately, I think the dev got too sick to work? Anyway is it good? Just saw a discount pop up on GoG.

if you grew up in a small northern town, it will make you cry

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

genericnick posted:

the lead artist had some terrible illness that resulted in permanent heart damage so the sequel of sorts is effectively dead. the first game is fine, p much a 2d walking simulator

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

hopefully they make the pentiment dlc in 2024

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

BONGHITZ posted:

hopefully they make the pentiment dlc in 2024

not sure what they'd add to it. I'd rather they make a similar game in a different era/setting

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Darklands Remastered

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Darklands Remastered

lol really

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Kate Dollarhyde left Obsidian, I don't think there's any DLC planned

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

my uncle works at obsidian and he says there's going to be pentiment battle royale mode dlc

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Salt Fish posted:

There was a demo that was available until November 1st and it was real good, I put like 20 hours into the demo. It's my favorite survivors game by far and I've tried most of them.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

can't believe I'd never played castlevania rondo of blood before. this game kicks rear end!

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

owns

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/bnwkr/status/1725135429454688437

Girl marshmallo is too sexy. Rated t for teen. Banned from e for everyone maps

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Hatebag posted:

can't believe I'd never played castlevania rondo of blood before. this game kicks rear end!

You could make a strong case it's the best game in the whole series. It's so goddamned good. Whomever made the enemy sprites for Rondo should have gotten royalties for years considering how often they were reused in Iga's games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Grapplejack posted:

https://twitter.com/bnwkr/status/1725135429454688437

Girl marshmallo is too sexy. Rated t for teen. Banned from e for everyone maps

Lmao

Fortnite is so good