Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
I fully expect to wake up one day and see a tweet from Elon reading, "WHITE POWER! I'm not racist."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
Just thought I'd clear up something real quick

It's okay to be white, you can't control who you're born to ya know

It's not okay to be white and run around shouting WHITE PRIDE or WHITE POWER

I hope this has been informative lol

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

they have a really powerful and somewhat revolutionary press process that is proprietary and very valuable. Something that doesn't mean anything to the end consumer but is a big deal to manufacturing (not just auto) in general.

Kind of, so, yes, Tesla is unique in that they are able to cast much larger parts that other car makers, which greatly simplifies construction and reduces assembly costs.

HOWEVER there have been major questions about the quality of those parts and they are extremely difficult to repair. Elon is very good at coming up with "Why didn't anyone thing to do it this way before? Revolutionary!" solutions that turn out to be "Yeah, competent engineers rejected that idea a long time ago because it is idiotic."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

holtemon posted:

Very important: It is ok to shout "White Ranger Power!" if you are the white ranger and need to morph, you just need to be really careful.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

kru posted:

I'm Scottish and I have Scottish pride. It's a very yeasty movement.

Scottish Pride is only for those bread in Scotland.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Tesla's board will care when sales tank. And that MIGHT happen soon. There are only so many people who want EV's at this point and Tesla might be running out of those buyers while trying to boost market share with their aggressive pricing.

Plus they just wasted 5 loving years building the Cybertruck, so all they have to sell this relatively small slice of the US auto consumer base are sedans. And American car buyers do not prefer sedans.

Tesla's incredibly high stock evaluation assumes exponential growth. If just slows to 'normal' levels, it's going to crash.

Edit: also no one has paid any attention to Tesla's CFO, who was essentially running the company, leaving. He was supposed to be the 'adult in the room' and Musk's eventual replacement. So either Musk ran him out because he made Elon look bad or he saw a real bad brick wall the company was hurtling towards.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 16, 2023

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Musk: "Jews aren't a race, therefore,"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

He's "reclaiming" white power

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Krispy Wafer posted:

Tesla's incredibly high stock evaluation assumes exponential growth. If just slows to 'normal' levels, it's going to crash.

Teslas crashing is the expectation though

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Still going!

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1725091240507551878?t=aGFbFLidXf7pF3vJ-euCyA&s=19

Yaccarino probably has a busy day ahead of her.

Edit: Just looked at this one again:

And realized that he specifically mentions how this extends to people in the Jewish community beyond the ADL. Jesus Christ.

Musk gonna ask why there's no white history month when we get to February next year

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

E the Shaggy posted:

I fully expect to wake up one day and see a tweet from Elon reading, "WHITE POWER! I'm not racist."

All races should have power

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Sir Tonk posted:

All races should have power

Except the Amish.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

they'll come around to it when they're good and ready

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Nameless Pete posted:

Except the Amish.

And billionaires

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's hosed up that in Anglo discourse it's considered OK to even use race of people. (Unless you're talking about the human race, of course.) That poo poo is very 1980s.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
"human race" always sounded wrong for me too

We are a species, not a "race"

I cant think of any context where "race" makes sense besides when talking about domestic animals that were selectively bred

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

big black turnout posted:

I hate to tell you that not only are you capable of making mistakes, but that at your advanced age, with your cognitive ability and possibly vision failing, you will only become more and more likely to make mistakes while driving

Bold of you to assume I never made mistakes.
I post here, for instance.

Ghostlight posted:

what's the dif

Like 10 years, basically. Trust me, ain’t no Boomer. Or at the very least, I’m not a Republican. I am, however, now old enough to be stressed out about the current state of things. Kinda wanted to retire at some point in the next 20 years, and not during a civil war or a fascist hellscape.

Honestly, calling me out for Boomerish behavior is something I value from SA. I ain’t mad.

mannerup posted:

home ownership

No, that’s Millennials. Gen-X still had a reasonable chance at a college education that didn’t put you in hock for 20 years, and the possibility of buying property. Less than Boomers, but still reasonable. Millennials got poo poo on hard. Gen Z has no hope.

staberind posted:

no.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHhD4PD75zY
for stuff thats got robots that the avrg person would not gently caress

Oooo, vintage! One of the first music videos I ever saw on MTV. Told you I was old.

BRB, need to go post some negativity in the subreddit before they restrict it. I assume “negativity” is pointing out how much of an actual piece of poo poo the thing is.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

kru posted:

No true Scotsman.. :scotland:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Elias_Maluco posted:

I cant think of any context where "race" makes sense besides when talking about domestic animals that were selectively bred

Cars? Like a race car?? duh

Elon is the top racist

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Fair point. To me, of course, as a Finn, we are a municipality.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.
I would be shocked if there isn't a stock plummet after the Cybertruck launch. Even ignoring the panel gaps and ugly design, it's just a bad truck. They're competing with Ford and Rivian, both of which seem to have more practical and functional EV trucks.

Chuds will buy it and hype it up, but anyone with half a brain will avoid it.

It'll be interesting to see if Musk stays in control after that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

greatBigJerk posted:

I would be shocked if there isn't a stock plummet after the Cybertruck launch. Even ignoring the panel gaps and ugly design, it's just a bad truck. They're competing with Ford and Rivian, both of which seem to have more practical and functional EV trucks.

Every electric car is already better than a Tesla, yet they sell, so???

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Race in that context is just an old term for 'group'. Since about the 1500's and it didn't mean the same thing as it does today.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

holtemon posted:

That's the thing with whiteness. When anyone has been putting emphasis on that in any way, shape, or form, it has always in the context of otherizing another designated "not-white" group for one of a myriad of reasons.

Also, I really, really, really want someone to ask Musk what the hell he things whiteness means, because hooo boy has that definition has shifted dramatically over the years. I'm part Irish, part Polish, and part Spanish, and I'm pretty sure that all of these were considered explicitly not-white at some point.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

They have a better charging port, and more charging stations, but in the next couple years all the other brands are adopting the Tesla port, and Ford is gaining access to the Tesla Supercharger network in the spring. So why would a pickup truck customer get a Cybertruck over an actual F-150, lol.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Other automakers' EV's rank pretty badly in reliability. The F-150 Lightning somehow makes Fiats look good.

It's hard to compare Tesla quality to legacy automakers because it's not like people love dealing with any dealership service department.

Kale
May 14, 2010

This time its surprising making the MSM instead of just more "In quirky billionaire we trust" cybertruck stories.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

greatBigJerk posted:

Hahahahaha you think it'll be rational.

Stock is going to jump high after the launch.

It might dip a month later when the truck child murder count gets national traction for a bit.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's hard to compare Tesla quality to legacy automakers because it's not like people love dealing with any dealership service department.

i went to my toyota dealership to get a headlight replaced and their computers were down so they just did it for free and also they have pretty good coffee

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

Other automakers' EV's rank pretty badly in reliability. The F-150 Lightning somehow makes Fiats look good.

Fiats are good.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i rented an electric fiat cabriolet 500 and drove it across the mountains in corsica last year, its the only fully electric car ive ever driven actually, it was a lot of fun. charging was kind of slow but not a huge deal

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Fiats are good.

The only thing Fiats are good at is burning all their oil and somehow still not exploding. Until they do.

Earwicker posted:

i went to my toyota dealership to get a headlight replaced and their computers were down so they just did it for free and also they have pretty good coffee

Toyotas don't count because they blow the curve for everyone else.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Earwicker posted:

My toyota dealership was under renovation so all they had were lovely bench seats and a hot/cold water dispenser :(

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Krispy Wafer posted:

I got my bolt despite the low reliability score since it’s reflecting a bunch of recalls that have since been rectified.

It didn’t stop anyone from wanting the car. Last year they were sold out at every dealer. Part of that is low supply, Chevy being very conservative on how many they make. But there is absolutely demand for an EV that has a decent price and isn’t a Tesla.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

I got my bolt despite the low reliability score since it’s reflecting a bunch of recalls that have since been rectified.

It didn’t stop anyone from wanting the car. Last year they were sold out at every dealer. Part of that is low supply, Chevy being very conservative on how many they make. But there is absolutely demand for an EV that has a decent price and isn’t a Tesla.

GM's EV strategy has been horrendous since day 1. They were practically a decade early to the PHEV market with the Volt, which was just a great car all around too, and they completely squandered the opportunity by not marketing it whatsoever.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Aramis posted:

GM's EV strategy has been horrendous since day 1. They were practically a decade early to the PHEV market with the Volt, which was just a great car all around too, and they completely squandered the opportunity by not marketing it whatsoever.

They’re a perfect case of repeatedly loving up a really great position. They got a great hand dealt to them and they play the game like it’s Opposite Day.

Even in recent memory, cancelling the Bolt line despite the drat things selling like hotcakes, then going ahh whoopsie never mind. Also a locked in entertainment system instead of smartphone support, one of the few features that surveyed car buyers overwhelmingly indicate will prevent them from buying a car.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Hyundai EVs are so good for some reason that were not available in my state at all until recently.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

They’re a perfect case of repeatedly loving up a really great position. They got a great hand dealt to them and they play the game like it’s Opposite Day.

Even in recent memory, cancelling the Bolt line despite the drat things selling like hotcakes, then going ahh whoopsie never mind. Also a locked in entertainment system instead of smartphone support, one of the few features that surveyed car buyers overwhelmingly indicate will prevent them from buying a car.

Yeah I wanted to ask about this. Someone I know is doing victory laps saying GM is cancelling all their EVs because the market is poo poo and nobody wants EVs. I didn't know anything about this story so I didn't say anything but none of it made sense, every third loving car around me is a Tesla and a fair chunk of the rest are Rivians or Lucids or Mustang EVs, it's all but taking over

It's just the Bolt? Because GM, specifically, hosed it up? Lmao

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Fiats are good.

Fiats catch on fire because of faulty wiring

a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chird
Sep 26, 2004

kru posted:

Tis Maw's Pride ya bam