Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Darthemed was kind enough to point me towards where the Tomie movies can be seen, so here's my thoughts about the first in the series.

I have seen the first one before but I did not remember a single thing about it. I think I may have mixed it up with the second one, we'll have to see when that one gets its turn.
Tomie 1 is a very slow burn. It's really not even clear what the plot is for pretty much the whole movie. There's a young woman with amnesia. There's a detective obsessed with finding out about a mysterious girl called Tomie. There was a guy in a band who... uh... was there? None of it ever really fits together.
But, when Tomie finally does appear, drat is she good. She's so mean for no reason. And the actress that plays her does so in a very other-worldly way. She really doesn't feel like a human. She's inscrutable. But not in an obvious serial killer kind of way, more like an alien ghost. I wanted to call this low-rent Audition but it came out first, so maybe Audition is a high-class Tomie.
There is also a twist that... isn't especially good. It's kind of obvious and kind of pointless.
I liked the movie more than I remembered but I also can't call it good. Tomie is excellent. Tomie's movie is... meandering.

I do give it lots of points for adapting Tomie in a good way. They didn't just copy everything from the manga. They did a true film adaptation of the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Wait what movies are made based on the Ito comics

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Baron von Eevl posted:

How about the trombone kill?

Inspired.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmfao when evil lurks is insane. Just got to THAT scene. Insanity

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

WHY BONER NOW posted:

off topic but I recall you watched a bunch of bigfoot movies at one point. Which one would you say was the scariest?

I think for me the scariest was Exists, which has some really effective scenes in terms of showing the power and ferocity of the Bigfoot. Which is for me the scary part about the idea of Bigfoot, it's a gigantic powerful great ape and being on the wrong side of an animal like that is just inherently terrifying. And I'm not into movies like Willow Creek that refuse to show anything, I think Exists shows you enough to make the Bigfoot scary without overexposing it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

When Evil Lurks is a blast

Great flick

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Dual (1971) is very good. Stephen should’ve directed more horror.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Lmfao when evil lurks is insane. Just got to THAT scene. Insanity

The best part of this post is When Evil Lurks is so goddamn over-the-top that "that scene" means absolutely nothing

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Basebf555 posted:

I think for me the scariest was Exists, which has some really effective scenes in terms of showing the power and ferocity of the Bigfoot. Which is for me the scary part about the idea of Bigfoot, it's a gigantic powerful great ape and being on the wrong side of an animal like that is just inherently terrifying. And I'm not into movies like Willow Creek that refuse to show anything, I think Exists shows you enough to make the Bigfoot scary without overexposing it.

Thanks! It's on Prime, onto the watchlist it goes

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

When evil lurks is totally good. Wish it had more of a story.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I thought the story was perfect. Evil is in the town.

Perfect story.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

I thought the story was perfect. Evil is in the town.

Perfect story.

Yeah I didn't find myself wanting for more than that. It's all about what happens when evil lurks.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

this lady is doing rituals in an open toilet. i think that sums up exorcist the beliver

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Who is this movie for.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

dorium posted:

Obligatory "have you not seen Poltergeist?" post.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

dorium posted:

Jaws still freaks me out a bit

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

dorium posted:

When evil lurks is totally good. Wish it had more of a story.

From my understanding, they're trying to get a series made from it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jedit posted:

Obligatory "have you not seen Poltergeist?" post.

He didn’t direct it

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

dorium posted:

The horror elements in the Indiana Jones movies and Jurassic Park are so loving good. I had never seen the original Jurassic Park on the big screen until I was an adult and the T-Rex encounter in the car is still insanely tense, even if you've seen it a hundred times.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, that whole scene was referenced to the point of cliche for good reason, just an entirely flawless sequence.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also the kitchen scene with the velociraptors

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

A Fancy Hat posted:

The horror elements in the Indiana Jones movies and Jurassic Park are so loving good. I had never seen the original Jurassic Park on the big screen until I was an adult and the T-Rex encounter in the car is still insanely tense, even if you've seen it a hundred times.

That whole sequence is the best sequence in film, imo

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Mr Hammond, I think we're back in business

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

M_Sinistrari posted:

From my understanding, they're trying to get a series made from it.

That would be cool, they created a really interested "world" that I would be interested in getting more stories out of.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

War of the Worlds is a great horror film with a bad ending and some annoying rear end protagonists

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CelticPredator posted:

War of the Worlds is a great horror film with a bad ending and some annoying rear end protagonists

One of those that's very good but almost great.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
war of the worlds is half of a classic spielberg movie

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

CelticPredator posted:

“Since when are you allergic to peanut butter?”
Birth?!?”

Is one of my all time exchanges in film history.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Maybe I was just too young for War of the Worlds to stick with me but I remember having just read the book (and loving it) when the new movie was announced, and I just always hated that it followed some random family through the whole thing. Maybe I'd be kinder to it nowadays but judging by this thread, maybe not.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
War Of The Worlds is Spielberg’s second-best movie, after Jurassic Park (obviously).

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

A.I./Minority Report/War of the Worlds is such a strong lineup.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

War Of The Worlds is Spielberg’s second-best movie, after Jurassic Park (obviously).

What were your thoughts on The Outwaters??

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The Fabelman's is his best film then everything else after that.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I really liked Bridge of Spies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are you guys deliberately not mentioning Raiders just to gently caress with me?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Spielberg owns and anyone who says he's lost his touch is a clown pants

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Spielberg is a bad film director and should be shunned.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Spielberg is a bad film director and should be shunned.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'd honest to god put Duel in his top 3. The ultimate less-is-more movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Duel is the best made for TV movie