Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Vegetable posted:

It obviously costs time and money to make frunks happen. Reorganize the innards, add another task to the assembly line, source for an additional component… Pretty silly to chalk it down to laziness.

You just defined the word laziness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Nfcknblvbl posted:

You just defined the word laziness.
The costs get passed on to consumers; you just don’t see it :shrug: I’m glad you want to pay more for some nebulously useful feature though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It's not laziness it's just they don't think it is as important for getting sales to have a giant frunk. Probably not wrong, it's more of a kind of cool feature to have rather than something required. The lack of a rear wiper on the back of the ioniq 5 was by far a bigger miss imo. Also done to save costs but will have a real negative impact on customers.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Vegetable posted:

It obviously costs time and money to make frunks happen. Reorganize the innards, add another task to the assembly line, source for an additional component… Pretty silly to chalk it down to laziness.

Things the car manufactures have to do when designing a new vehicle:
- Organize the innards.
- Add tasks to the assembly line.
- Source components.

It's laziness.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Wayne Knight posted:

All EVs should have room in the frunk for the portable EVSE in a little travel bag at minimum.

Those that purchase cars from Three Olives would be able to use this space however they please.

:perfect:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

- Organize the innards.
- Source components.

LOL, this is worthy of a letter to the editor.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

FlapYoJacks posted:

- Organize the innards.
- Source components.

It's laziness.

The German makers are guilty of this, just slapping whatever they got off the shelf into their new EVs isn’t a good look.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Having a frunk is borderline incompetence because you'd be better served with just the crash structure and minimal accessory equipment then lowering and shortening the hood to improve visibility.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Engineering Explained discussed the frunk space thing, he said it's all about packaging the components efficiently enough for the space allowed. So basically any EV without a sizable frunk is just lazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eATfayLjTs

I'll be honest I'd get a Lucid Air immediately after winning the lottery.

Then I'd have it turned into an itasha.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

shoulda done it like BMW and not enabled the hood to open, problem solved! :haw:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

15% floor with the bolt makes me nervous

If it's downhill? You'll arrive with 25%

Uphill? 8-9%

Not running the AC as much as possible, only when it gets cold enough to unfog the window

This was how a 750 mile trip I just did yesterday went from 17h to 22h (mostly because I didn't want to go to tons of different charger brands and I got lost because some cities have roads that don't look like roads)

Also because some fast chargers are 35 minutes of driving from one another.

Every single EA charger location had at least one of the chargers inoperable

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Every single EA charger location had at least one of the chargers inoperable

:lol: I’ve checked every single tentative charging stop on the route and all EA stops have a broken charger. The problem is once I reach Texas the chargers dry up pretty loving fast and the stops are far and few.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

priznat posted:

shoulda done it like BMW and not enabled the hood to open, problem solved! :haw:

Its not much harder to open the hood on an iX than it is on a normal car. Its just 2 pull straps instead of one lever and a safety catch. The kicker is there being no prop rod or gas struts to hold the now opened iX hood.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Looks like Ford wanted to poke at the cyber truck some.
https://twitter.com/jimfarley98/status/1724823063143784537?t=JrEzojHNTMbuMtns8Fya4Q

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

kill me now posted:

Its not much harder to open the hood on an iX than it is on a normal car. Its just 2 pull straps instead of one lever and a safety catch. The kicker is there being no prop rod or gas struts to hold the now opened iX hood.

Oh I thought I had heard it was not openable unless it’s in for service ie tools required.. but still not exactly usable.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

priznat posted:

Oh I thought I had heard it was not openable unless it’s in for service ie tools required.. but still not exactly usable.

Nope, there is a hidden pull loop on each side in the foot wells. There really isn't any good reason for your average owner to pop the hood on one though. Its just high voltage wires, 12v battery and the onboard charger in there. The windshield washer fill tube is under the BMW logo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wqlOzpQbNI

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Mercedes has a plastic flap that covers where the hood release should be. I say should be because they deleted the actual handle and left just the cable with little dingle end to spite the mechanics who need to open the hood.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
A baby step towards the world in the book Rainbows End. It's a near future sci-fi book about a guy who wakes up after being cured of Alzheimer's, though he's missing the last 20 years of memories. A lot of the book is him adjusting to the future but there's one part where he becomes frustrated because nothing can be fixed anymore, he's just relentlessly teased by everything having little labels that read "no user serviceable parts inside". At one point he manages to tear open the hood of a car only to find the same labels inside, and tearing into those components only reveals smaller components with the same labels.

Sadly the book fails to foresee the rise in popularity of the frunk.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Squibbles posted:

A baby step towards the world in the book Rainbows End. It's a near future sci-fi book about a guy who wakes up after being cured of Alzheimer's, though he's missing the last 20 years of memories. A lot of the book is him adjusting to the future but there's one part where he becomes frustrated because nothing can be fixed anymore, he's just relentlessly teased by everything having little labels that read "no user serviceable parts inside". At one point he manages to tear open the hood of a car only to find the same labels inside, and tearing into those components only reveals smaller components with the same labels.

Sadly the book fails to foresee the rise in popularity of the frunk.

This is reminiscent of going through the cargo floor of the Bolt, removing panels and massive pieces of molded polystyrene, with cutouts for various pieces of equipment that don't exist, except for a single special bolt with no labeled purpose, to finally get to a spare tire well containing only a subwoofer.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I saw a Buzz today and holy poo poo are they way bigger than they look in pictures.

I also really want one so I can get rid of my Pacifica

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Elviscat posted:

This is reminiscent of going through the cargo floor of the Bolt, removing panels and massive pieces of molded polystyrene, with cutouts for various pieces of equipment that don't exist, except for a single special bolt with no labeled purpose, to finally get to a spare tire well containing only a subwoofer.

That tool screws in the front or back, so they can tow your car, and the empty space in the foam is for the branded tire inflator and the travel L2 charger, warning triangle, screwdriver. :eng101:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That tool screws in the front or back, so they can tow your car, and the empty space in the foam is for the branded tire inflator and the travel L2 charger, warning triangle, screwdriver. :eng101:

I jammed the L2 EVSE into the large compartment left over. A J1772 handle fits somewhat snugly into that contoured bit at the top.

E: I see you already mentioned that :cripes:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

New Lucid just dropped :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuTtLwqdPk8

e: lmao the frunk bench, that kinda rules?

priznat fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 16, 2023

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It's got Minivan vibes. Which is a good thing. However I suspect it won't be as practical as a real minivan

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I think it's the slightly shortened hood, definitely does look minivan-ish. Wish they had put sliding doors in and made it a real one! But no way anyone would buy an 80k minivan.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The ID Buzz Long might be approaching that (especially the GTX version) if it ever actually gets released

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I definitely like the look of the Buzz

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah, and it looks like someone broke into your car and stole all that stuff, besides the tow bolt (which I never bothered to look up, thanks!)

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

New Lucid just dropped :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuTtLwqdPk8

e: lmao the frunk bench, that kinda rules?

Now I won't be satisfied until there's a car with an entire capsule hotel inside.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I just read in a news article that charging locations have surpassed fuel stations in Finland. On February there were 2 368 public charging stations compared to 2 032 gas stations. 845 of those provide fast charging.

Much more charging stations are still needed and many times more charging stations are needed than gas, but it's still surprising that the numbers are already that high.

The association that had gathered these statistics also noted that between Q2/2022 and Q2/2023, fast charging stations increased by 101%.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Failson posted:

Now I won't be satisfied until there's a car with an entire capsule hotel inside.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

That rules

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Saukkis posted:

The association that had gathered these statistics also noted that between Q2/2022 and Q2/2023, fast charging stations increased by 101%.

I wonder how fast they are getting built out in the US? I don't think it's that fast

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Energy.gov has about half again as many dcfc locations listed as it did in the summer of '22. But the Finland data includes public lvl 2 chargers so that's not really the same comparison.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cruft posted:

That's right next to where I went to college.

The restaurant closed last year :(

God Dammit. I didn't get the opportunity to stop when we ferried the Outback home from AZ, as it was like 10 PM by the time we hit the area. Drove right by the VLA, and I couldn't see it in the dark. :cry:
Speaking of which, rural New Mexico is *very* dark when the sun goes down, and cell coverage is spotty, which adds up to "I hope the map that's currently stored on the phone is correct and we don't have to deviate from that route."

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Saw a Rivian SUV today. Looks really great! However it was making a lot of creaking sound while going by at about 4mph which would be pretty concerning if I had spent that kind of money on a car.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

withoutclass posted:

Saw a Rivian SUV today. Looks really great! However it was making a lot of creaking sound while going by at about 4mph which would be pretty concerning if I had spent that kind of money on a car.

Maybe it was the road buckling

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

#vanlife

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
do goons really not know what a tow bolt is for?

just getting their car towed and letting the guy rip the front off like it’s a thing to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tow truck guys often bring their own, although it's still good to know what a tow bolt is and where it goes on your vehicle. Same with knowing your car's jack points, which I'd guess most people also don't know