Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Tod just casually mentioning she is cursing the sun was certainly.... something. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Lt. Lizard posted:

Tod just casually mentioning she is cursing the sun was certainly.... something. :stare:
IIRC, in Japanese the same word can be used for stars and planets. Since the translation was "this star" I think she was referring to the planet rather than the sun.

Still pretty important, of course.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I forget, didn't Frieren mention she lost her memory for about a week or so after trying to decipher the monument in the past? Presumably it was because her current self "replaced" her past self for that time, and I feel like they've definitely spent at least a week just trying to research the monument. Am I misremembering the length of time she said she lost?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I enjoy Rivale and Tod showing yet more personality variance for the demon upper echelons, even if it's obviously all performative to an extent.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Sindai posted:

IIRC, in Japanese the same word can be used for stars and planets. Since the translation was "this star" I think she was referring to the planet rather than the sun.

She says planet in the official translation

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Sindai posted:

That makes it an even bigger deal, actually. :v:

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Scallop Eyes posted:

It's not revenge for this moment, Rivale was the demon who attacked Stark's village when he was young (or at least it really looks like him).

Nice catch, I had totally forgotten about this

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Himmel, kiss your dream wife

E: you think they are they all in the same illusion or is this just himmel’s, and heiter is in a pub somewhere knocking back pints while frieren is perusing a library of the most niche daily quality of life magic

Fellis fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 15, 2023

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Fellis posted:

E: you think they are they all in the same illusion or is this just himmel’s, and heiter is in a pub somewhere knocking back pints while frieren is perusing a library of the most niche daily quality of life magic

A fun thing might be if Frieren's dream is pretty much the same as Heiter's, because demon dream magic knows her better than she knows herself.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

VideoWitch posted:

Well Solitar was still alive in the present, and there's a flashback at one point where Frieren is telling Fern about the Great Demons and mentions Rivale and Tod specifically in the present tense. But admittedly both of those happened before Frieren went back in time and changed things.

nothings changed yet though. We've already seen Himmel's plan worked because the wrote the spell on the monument which they would only have done if this happened originally Solitare however made an excellent choice in getting murdered before playing part in this, There are going to be some very upset legendary heroes shortly.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Goddamn. I only expected this would be explored at the very climax of the series, but I am so excited to see this being addressed now, because it means the ending will be completely beyond my expectations. I'm 1000% back on board with this arc.

:yeah:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/the_freakin_yui/status/1724639403237327048?t=XnOTcB-_2-yAVRTdzRD8iQ&s=19

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Agronox posted:

A fun thing might be if Frieren's dream is pretty much the same as Heiter's, because demon dream magic knows her better than she knows herself.

Frieren’s dream is going through a dungeon devoid of mimics.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I think Frieren's idyllic dream is going to include a lot of grimoires, which Mr. Demon is going to struggle to provide.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Squidster posted:

I think Frieren's idyllic dream is going to include a lot of grimoires, which Mr. Demon is going to struggle to provide.

Friren's idyllic dream is a library of grimoires, Demon guy's fantasy is too real and in one of those books she discovers a spell that reveals she's in a fantasy and frees her from it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Discovered this series after the anime premier and have spent the past few days catching up on the whole series. (and reading people here's reactions to it too). Let me just say some of the parts that people say drag too much like the exam arc work much better when you can read it all at once. Also since Viz is I guess compiling the next volume or something you can't read the official translation and I had to switch to fansubs for part of the Macht arc and goddamn it's some whiplash since in the official translation they call Weise (and all the other surrounding places that have turned to gold) "The Golden Land" so when you switch to fansubs all of a sudden they're calling him Macht of El Dorado and I almost did a spit take because of how goofy it sounds.

Squidster posted:

Since demons (aside from Solitar and Macht) generally only study one kind of magic all the grimoires are gonna be just his own hypnosis spell over and over

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 16, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Huh, was the exam arc not popular? I dug it but then I usually dig tournies.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like the exam arc got criticized for the same reason the first demon arc got criticized — people said "I think I see where this is going and I'm not thrilled" because the manga hadn't built up enough trust yet for people to take it on faith that it was going to do something different.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Exam arc had Denken so idk what else people needed from it

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like the exam arc got criticized for the same reason the first demon arc got criticized — people said "I think I see where this is going and I'm not thrilled" because the manga hadn't built up enough trust yet for people to take it on faith that it was going to do something different.

The premise and setup was also a little flimsy
oh woops looks like we need go somewhere but grandmas license has been expired for 50 years

I was extremely 100% for it once everyone started showing what their deal was and Denken, up till then just kind of generic, rolled up his sleeves and became the best

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

Settling a magic duel with fisticuffs and actually wanting to take on Serie are honestly all I need to remember from that arc. That old man was great

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I feel like clone boy is also worth remembering even if Denken is the only other thing you recall.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

Huh, was the exam arc not popular? I dug it but then I usually dig tournies.

I don't know about the fandom as a whole but I was just basing it off reading through people here's reactions by chapter and at least in the first stage aside from when Denken was about to throw hands there was a lot of "ugh end this and get back to random adventures" gripes.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I wasn't all that crazy about it at first as I got to it in my big catch-up but thanks to the magic of bingeing I got to

CharlestonJew posted:

Brought To You By posted:

Settling a magic duel with fisticuffs

in short enough order and I was completely sold on it

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Basically every Frieren arc has been initially met with the thread going “I’m not so sure about this”

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like clone boy is also worth remembering even if Denken is the only other thing you recall.

Serie being almost annoyed at his bullshit is great. Man chilling half a world away having tea and taking the test like it's effortless for him.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

There were a few releases of this arc where literally nothing happened, and even when you like a thing reading it week to week can be painful in a way when it feels like nothing is happening or the series is headed in the wrong direction. People were understandably a little worried of it turning into a battle manga with some of the earlier chapters.

And also I think Fern and Stark are more interesting than her old party and I miss them.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Well to be fair, the crazy lady whose magic lets her cut things is also a memorable character. But I feel like for her and clone guy they only really solidified to me when confronting Serie.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

Well to be fair, the crazy lady whose magic lets her cut things is also a memorable character. But I feel like for her and clone guy they only really solidified to me when confronting Serie.

Yeah, I think cut queen is only really memorable as part of the arc as a whole, namely The Arc Where Everybody Loudly Talks About How Committing A Few Cold-Blooded Murders For Gain is the Rational Thing To Do In This Situation But Nobody Actually Does.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Somebody does. There were a lot of dead mages in round 1, though we don’t see who did what.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
The birds did it.

I can't imagine any of the remaining characters taking the trouble to throw a body in a tree.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

thetoughestbean posted:

Basically every Frieren arc has been initially met with the thread going “I’m not so sure about this”

This is so true. I was even still doing this with the most recent arc until this latest chapter.

So let us be patient with the anime-only folk. To be fair, we've all been burnt by series that have completely poo poo the bed at some point, but Frieren hasn't so far.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I’m also partial to scissor girl in the tournament arc. Honestly, tournament arc is cool.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I get people not being entirely down for stuff that isn’t Frieren and her kids exploring a world that was fundamentally changed in a big way by her almost hundred year old adventure, but like others said the arc introduced cool characters, and it does seem kinda demanding to come up with nothing but one-off vignettes about Frieren so I’ll take something that’s still less good in between the slice of life.

If anything, this arc is dragging way more for me than the gold stuff, because I just want flashbacks to the cool adventurers so it feels bittersweet that Himmel/Heiter are dead and Eisen’s too old to adventure, a wholeass arc defeats the point.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah I'm not a fan of this arc. If it ended after a couple chapters I'd be on board but I'm of the "defeats the purpose" side for this. Even if it's nice to see the old party, I'd prefer to see them vis reminiscence and flashbacks rather than literally time traveling to adventure with them.

I really, really, really liked the city of gold arc, so it would be nice if they pulled off something that good by the end of this, but so far I'm not really feeling it. Great moments at times for sure, but as a whole I don't think they should've gone this route.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Every new arc is the worst arc of Frieren

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

RareAcumen posted:

Its all downhill when you start from Olympus.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Every arc seems bad and then something really cool happens.

Demon Treaty Arc - Demons are cleverly untrustworthy, Frieren is incredible badass.
Tournament Arc - Denken
Golden City - Denken Shows up, Macht is incredibly cool character. Solitar with a chair!
Back to the Past Arc - ??? (I personally think Himmel and Frieren will have a good reveal)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tournament arc also had the Seres backstory flashbacks, which was more melancholy slice of life than I expected going in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Honestly, I might be weird, but I am of the opinion that every arc ended up being great and ended up improving the story as a whole. Some people want Frieren to be just nonstop melancholic slice of life and I get it, but the arcs serve as a great contrast and almost always end up providing context and world-building for more peaceful chapters and one of big strengths of Frieren is that it can do both pretty competently.