Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

haveblue posted:

We should stop describing Alaska as "not part of the continental United States"

We should also stop describing it as the largest state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It is pretty wild that flat earth theory basically died out for several hundred years, but saw a resurgence after we invented satellites, planes, GPS, spaceships, and took actual pictures of Earth from space.

it was barely ever a real thing. heliocentrism died a much longer death. apperently it began in the gilded age.

James Garfield posted:

FYI the thing about young minority voters peeling away is from poll crosstabs (election results don't show Democrats losing like that) and the same poll crosstabs imply that Biden's low support with young minority voters is because they're more conservative. It's not people saying they'll protest vote, it's people saying they'll vote for Trump because Biden is too far left.

this. there are also so many folks who will do big "gently caress you" protest vote espcially in a swing state when its against the nightmare canidate again.

Bodyholes posted:

We're reaching the endgame of FPTP which is that not only does it incentivize compromising on your ideology to get a winning coalition but eventually it also rewards the side willing to compromise ethics, integrity, morality, reality, and anything else that they could hold their candidates to.

FPTP kills countries slowly and inevitably.

Republicans are straight up outnumbered nationally. They've had to lower their standards for a while now. But if they can just win one more, they can do away with this problematic "election" business before it matters.

they will just put loyal morons in charge which will cause to get way worse in some places and just cease to function or lose in courts in others. the issue is the instutions as is are pretty drat strong and can gently caress the nuts well enough or keep them out.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 16, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

haveblue posted:

It would be easier to sell it to Russia or annex Canada.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it was barely ever a real thing. heliocentrism died a much longer death. apperently it began in the gilded age.

People keep saying this, but we don't actually know what the layman thought about the world or cosmos. Only what some wackos who were :airquote:literate:airquote: wrote.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It is pretty wild that flat earth theory basically died out for several hundred years, but saw a resurgence after we invented satellites, planes, GPS, spaceships, and took actual pictures of Earth from space.

I think the explanation is that before the internet you had, at most, 1 or 2 people like this in each town, so they couldn't connect with each other. Now they can.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
It may be time to start a separate 2024 polling and elections thread.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

zoux posted:

We should also stop describing it as the largest state.

But it is. It's double the size of Texas.

I'm a knuckle dragging hick from central Wyoming, and things like globes and atlases existed. It's that only freaks like me paid any attention to them and learned their country's geography. This lady who had a revelation that Alaska isn't an island probably describes all but thirteen people in the United States being ignorant of any facts about Alaska. No one knows because no one gives a poo poo, nor will they ever need to.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Discendo Vox posted:

It may be time to start a separate 2024 polling and elections thread.

probably. I feel like polling and general should wait until the primary are over at least. if trump dies/goes to jail it could turn into a fun fight between the last 4.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Dapper_Swindler posted:

probably. I feel like polling and general should wait until the primary are over at least. if trump dies/goes to jail it could turn into a fun fight between the last 4.

Why till the primary is over rather than once it's imminent? A lot of people want to follow the primaries, even if the outcome is, uh, likely predictable.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Star Man posted:

This is another false narrative from tik tok and perpetuated by the bastard Gerard Mercator.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Why till the primary is over rather than once it's imminent? A lot of people want to follow the primaries, even if the outcome is, uh, likely predictable.

There is already a GOP primary thread, and the democrats are de facto skipping primaries

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Dubar posted:

There is already a GOP primary thread, and the democrats are de facto skipping primaries

That's not true. RFK Jr. dropped out of the Dem primaries, but Dean Phillips-mentum could explode any day now.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

haveblue posted:

It isn’t supposed to be described that way. It’s “not part of the contiguous United States” but people mix up contiguous and continental.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Nenonen posted:

It would be easier to sell it to Russia or annex Canada.

Counterpoint: 54:40 or fight.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Back in my day (2009) we at least had full world maps, showing Alaska’s true location alongside such interesting countries as the Soviet Union and Zaire

That's okay, back when I was in junior high in the mid-90s one of my classrooms has a flag with fewer than 50 stars.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Lager posted:

That's okay, back when I was in junior high in the mid-90s one of my classrooms has a flag with fewer than 50 stars.

Was it the Stars and Bars by any chance?

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Lager posted:

A few weeks back I used a Yugo reference at work, then realized I had to explain it to my young coworkers, then realized I would have to explain what Yugoslavia was first.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
New York Times has a report about a lot of Jewish Tiktok creators and celebrities who were invited to speak with Tiktok executives on a private call and chewed them out about the platform recommending anti-Semitic content to users and promoting harassment. The TikTok executives claimed that it was the algorithm and that it is a problem lots of social media companies are dealing with and not just them. But, they did admit that "there is a lot of truth" to the complaints that they are promoting anti-Semitic content and not doing enough to prevent harassment.

Sacha Baron Cohen and several high-profile Jewish Tiktok stars were particularly upset about TikTok tools that allowed other users to clip their videos and add fake audio to draw people to harass them and the promotion of the Osama Bin-Laden letter.

quote:

Jewish Celebrities and Influencers Confront TikTok Executives in Private Call

More than a dozen Jewish TikTok creators and celebrities confronted TikTok executives and other employees in a private meeting on Wednesday night, urging them to do more to address a surge of antisemitism and harassment on the popular video service.

The meeting, held on a video call for about 90 minutes and joined by more than 30 people in all, included the actors Sacha Baron Cohen, Debra Messing and Amy Schumer. It was led by Adam Presser, TikTok’s head of operations, and Seth Melnick, its global head of user operations. The executives said they wanted to know more about what the creators were experiencing to improve the app, according to a recording of the meeting obtained by The New York Times.

The celebrities and creators described, sometimes with fiery rhetoric, how TikTok’s tools did not prevent a flood of comments like “Hitler was right” or “I hope you end up like Anne Frank” under videos posted by them and other Jewish users.

“What is happening at TikTok is it is creating the biggest antisemitic movement since the Nazis,” Mr. Cohen, who does not appear to have an official TikTok account, said early in the call. He criticized violent imagery and disinformation on the platform, telling Mr. Presser, “Shame on you,” and claiming that TikTok could “flip a switch” to fix antisemitism on its platform.

Mr. Presser and Mr. Melnick of TikTok, who are also Jewish and based in the United States, were largely conciliatory in the meeting. “Obviously a lot of what Sacha says, there’s truth to that,” Mr. Presser said, referring to Mr. Cohen’s remarks that social media companies needed to take more action. Mr. Presser later said there was no “magic button” to address all the concerns raised.

TikTok is urgently trying to push back against escalating claims that it is promoting pro-Palestinian, anti-Israel content through its powerful feeds. Several Washington lawmakers have renewed their calls to ban the app, which is owned by the Chinese company ByteDance, arguing that Beijing may be influencing the content promoted through the platform’s algorithms.

Antisemitic and Islamophobic hate speech has surged on many online services since the Israel-Hamas war began. Antisemitic content soared more than 919 percent on X and 28 percent on Facebook in the month since Oct. 7, according to the Anti-Defamation League, a Jewish advocacy group. TikTok has gained particular attention because of its ties to China, and its powerful algorithm drives content to 150 million users in the United States.

“If you think back to Oct. 7, the reason why Hamas were able to behead young people and rape women was they were fed images from when they were small kids that led them to hate,” Mr. Cohen said in the meeting. He accused TikTok of feeding similarly incendiary content to young people.

“We recognize this is an incredibly difficult and fearful time for millions of people around the world and in our TikTok community,” TikTok said in a statement. “Our leadership has been meeting with creators, civil society, human rights experts and stakeholders to listen to their experiences and feedback on how TikTok can remain a place for community, discovery and sharing authentically.”

TikTok arranged the Wednesday meeting with the creators in response to an open letter they sent last week criticizing the company.

One TikTok user, who couldn’t be identified through the recording, was incredulous about a “Letter to America” written by Osama bin Laden two decades ago that started going viral on TikTok this week, finding some support among young Americans. In the letter, Bin Laden justified the killing of Americans, and expressed hatred of Jewish people and anger about Palestine.

The letter, the person said, had become the “talk of the app,” and added: “In regards to trending topics right now as we speak, this trend needs to end. This app needs to ban this letter.”

TikTok said it was “proactively and aggressively removing this content and investigating how it got onto our platform.”

Miriam Ezagui, a TikTok creator and nurse with 1.9 million followers, said some popular editing features on the site were being used by some users to twist her words in a video and send waves of hatred her way.

Mr. Presser said the use of the tools to perpetuate hate was another “important flag” for the company to follow up on.

“We can do better,” he said.

Ms. Messing, who has more than 37,000 followers on TikTok, pressed executives on TikTok’s moderation of the pro-Palestinian slogan “from the river to the sea,” which many Americans regard as a call to eradicate Israel. It has been deemed antisemitic by the Anti-Defamation League and has appeared in messages and comments to many Jewish TikTok users, regardless of what they’re posting.

Mr. Presser said the phrase was up for interpretation by TikTok’s 40,000 moderators.

“Where it is clear exactly what they mean — ‘kill the Jews, eradicate the state of Israel’ — that content is violative and we take it down,” he told the group. “Our approach up until Oct. 7, continuing to today, has been that for instances where people use the phrase where it’s not clear, where someone is just using it casually, then that has been considered acceptable speech.”

The notion of the term being used “casually” upset several participants.

Ms. Messing asked the company to reconsider its stance, saying: “It is much more responsible to bar it at this juncture than to say, ‘Oh, well, some people, they use it in a different way than it actually was created to mean.’ I understand that you are in a very, very difficult and complicated place, but you also are the main platform for the dissemination of Jew hate.”

TikTok said in a statement, “We don’t allow content with this phrase when it’s used in a way that threatens violence and spreads hate.”

Several creators asked why they could not directly reach individuals at TikTok for help with the harassment. One creator said that when she reported harassment, it took three to five days for TikTok to respond.

The executives said that while TikTok used to have managers for each creator, that became harder as the company grew. It’s now trying to reorganize its creator management teams to get more individual or community support for bigger accounts, Mr. Presser said.

“To hear that this place, this platform, this community that has brought you so much joy and helps each of you as individuals is becoming a place that feels like somewhere that you’re not sure you want to spend time on, I mean, that’s devastating,” he said.

“This is where we get the feedback, this is where we hear what isn’t working,” Mr. Presser said as the call concluded. “A lot of it, honestly I am embarrassed to say, is new. I haven’t heard a lot of it.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/16/technology/tiktok-jewish-open-letter-antisemitism.html

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 16, 2023

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Presto posted:

A few weeks back I used a Yugo reference at work, then realized I had to explain it to my young coworkers, then realized I would have to explain what Yugoslavia was first.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Lager posted:

I'll be deep in the cold, cold ground before I recognize Missourah!

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Lager posted:

Depending on whether or not it had exactly 49, it could have been a neat vintage item from the whopping eight months between Alaska statehood and Hawaii statehood.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Twincityhacker posted:

Depending on whether or not it had exactly 49, it could have been a neat vintage item from the whopping eight months between Alaska statehood and Hawaii statehood.

Did they actually make any of those as real, official flags? Everyone knew Hawaii was coming immediately afterwards.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Back in my day (2009) we at least had full world maps, showing Alaska’s true location alongside such interesting countries as the Soviet Union and Zaire

Most of my classrooms had those pull down maps with several options. Generally they were either on the Atlas version without colored in national borders, or on the US one. Also, the amount of times I would have to look at maps that included Canada were extremely rare. It was almost always a country/regional specific map or a non-North American continental map.

Should you know that Alaska is in an eternal border war with Canada? Sure. Is it entirely possible to go through your entire schooling and only see Alaska clearly connected to Canada 2 or 3 times? Definitely. The fact that it is almost always grouped with the notorious island chain Hawaii when discussing whether something is available in the contiguous/lower 48 also probably doesn't help.

haveblue posted:

I think a more rigorous investigation into their breakfasts is needed before settling whether or not they are Continental.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Zotix posted:

The WaPo has published an article on domestic shootings. Warning: It contains survivor accounts and very graphic photos from some of the worst shootings America has had.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/11/16/about-ar-15-graphic-content/ Why the WaPo is publishing the below story.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/interactive/2023/ar-15-force-mass-shootings/?itid=hp-top-table-main_p001_f001 NSFW. Probably NSFL.

That last Vegas shooting pic is horrible. Looks like a Civil War battlefield.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

zoux posted:

This is another false narrative from tik tok and perpetuated by the bastard Gerard Mercator.
I must be missing the joke? Alaska is over twice the size of Texas. The Mercator projection makes it look bigger yet, but it is still by far the largest state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_area

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

cat botherer posted:

I must be missing the joke? Alaska is over twice the size of Texas. The Mercator projection makes it look bigger yet, but it is still by far the largest state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_area

He’s literally a texan making a joke, yes

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Why exactly is Osama Bin Laden being rehabilitated on ticktock?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

davecrazy posted:

tbh seems to be a minor phenomenon that went viral because some people (including Yashar Ali, in whom I am currently EXTREMELY disappointed) decided to be outraged about it for internet clout

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2023/11/did-bin-laden-really-go-viral-on-tiktok.html

https://twitter.com/drewharwell/status/1725312158664175617

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

davecrazy posted:

Because media is ruled by any metric of engagement, positive or negative. If it makes you feel any better the influencers pushing this dont actually believe it, but they are ruled by the same insanity that all social media is ruled by.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

IF you're a conspiracy theorist it's an op in the vein of the stop oil now poo poo where the goal is to make your opponents look cartoonishly out of touch

B B
Dec 1, 2005

davecrazy posted:

Not really sure why the "Dear America" letter is getting so much attention from zoomers. There is a much funnier and much more correct OBL letter out there:

OBL posted:

I asked Shaykh Sa'id, Allah have mercy on his soul, to task brother Ilyas to prepare two groups - one in Pakistan and the other in the Bagram area of Afghanistan - with the mission of anticipating and spotting the visits of Obama or Petraeus to Afghanistan or Pakistan to target the aircraft of either one of them. They are not to target visits by US Vice President Biden, Secretary of Defense Gates, Joint Chiefs of Staff (Chairman) Mullen, or the Special Envoy to Pakistan and Afghanistan Holbrook. The groups will remain on the lookout for Obama or Petraeus. The reason for concentrating on them is that Obama is the head of infidelity and killing him automatically will make Biden take over the presidency for the remainder of the term, as it is the norm over there. Biden is totally unprepared for that post, which will lead the US into a crisis. As for Petraeus, he is the man of the hour in this last year of the war, and killing him would alter the war's path.

https://ctc.westpoint.edu/harmony-program/letter-from-ubl-to-atiyatullah-al-libi-4-original-language-2/

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
USCE 2023: issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding Osama Bin Laden

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

USCE 2023: issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding Osama Bin Laden

I'm going the other way - dril was wrong about ISIS.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The OBL thing came up on tiktok because there has been a lot of discourse on there regarding Gaza and the plight and history of the Palestinians and his letter addresses that among other things. Lots of zoomers learning recent history they apparently didn't know before.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

D-Pad posted:

The OBL thing came up on tiktok because there has been a lot of discourse on there regarding Gaza and the plight and history of the Palestinians and his letter addresses that among other things. Lots of zoomers learning recent history they apparently didn't know before.

I’m a zoomer. They’re addressing poo poo I knew in high school in 2014. Please stop addressing the strange foreign tiktok kids like we’re homogenous. They ain’t sayin that poo poo bc they’re zoomers they’re saying it bc they’re stupid and seeking views. They don’t give a single flying gently caress about palestinians or being lied to by Joe Biden and the lamestream media or whatever sorcery you 45-year-old computer touchers are conjuring up, you goofballs.

If they cared they’d have noticed something before omg sigh Osama was right went viral

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 17, 2023

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

D-Pad posted:

The OBL thing is a letter that mentions Palestine for a handful of paragraphs in between the anti-semitism and calling for a totalitarian religious government to free America from its decadent ways. This isn't some organic or thoughtful contribution to "the discourse," it's just an oddity that through a combination of engagement-seeking behavior and teenage edginess managed to gain a pretty middling amount of traffic for a few days. It only exploded into the mainstream when someone went and compiled posts from a bunch of relative nobodies and crossposted it to Twitter.

Much like twitter, tiktok is built around attempting to goose your own engagement metrics, so it will always be at the mercy of individuals who are willing to hop on whatever trend happens to be gaining traction at that moment.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Star Man posted:

I'm a knuckle dragging hick from central Wyoming, and things like globes and atlases existed. It's that only freaks like me paid any attention to them and learned their country's geography. This lady who had a revelation that Alaska isn't an island probably describes all but thirteen people in the United States being ignorant of any facts about Alaska. No one knows because no one gives a poo poo, nor will they ever need to.

Maps have done more damage to human civilization than anything but disease. You draw some lines then suddenly some rich assholes own everything and instantly start fighting over where exactly some line on the map is in reality and what exactly inside that line they own and can do. Colossally shortsighted politicians and bureaucrats draw massive zones for just living in with no regard for the lower classes that now must line up like ants on awful roads in rusty metal boxes just to go to the tiny rectangle miles away where its legal to sell food. No good thing ever came from maps, only suffering and lovely arbitrary policy. And all the road noise means those homes are still loud as gently caress at night too.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

KillHour posted:

I'm going the other way - dril was wrong about ISIS.

I'm not actually sure the world could handle it if this turned out to be the case.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think also those of us who can clearly remember 9/11 kind of downplay and joke about it a lot, and maybe that signals to kids too young to remember it well that it wasn’t a big deal and thus maybe OBL also isnt that big of a deal. Boomers weren’t like that about JFK, it was always the biggest thing that ever happened.

Or maybe not, anyone here who is actually under the age of like 30 who can say if they grew up thinking 9/11 is a big deal

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
So how many days away are we before they start talking about this hip new book they found called the Protocols of the Elders of Zion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

What If The Villains Had A Point Actually is a favorite trope of any young person (or any*one* for that matter) without much exposure to meaningful critique or political analysis of any kind for a reason. It’s also always especially easy to literally copy and paste all said villains’ best points out of context from their villainy when they’ve been dead your entire adult life and powerless for the remainder of it.

Color me completely unsurprised there was a super tiny wave of this kind of sentiment at a moment when the U.S.’s very long history of very nasty foreign policy in the Middle East hasn’t had a spotlight on it this big in decades.