Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Maybe this event came out at the exact wrong time for me personally, when I am swamped with work, but just the thought of doing it is making me seriously consider quitting this game. This is supposed to be my relaxing game I don't need to pay much attention to!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

Maybe this event came out at the exact wrong time for me personally, when I am swamped with work, but just the thought of doing it is making me seriously consider quitting this game. This is supposed to be my relaxing game I don't need to pay much attention to!
i mean

you dont have to do it now
its permanent content like every other major event

its also not something you need to pay a massive amount of attention to, you just do stuff and read the funny dialog at your own pace

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Reading dialog is the hard part, honestly.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They fixed the PC HDR issue

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

Reading dialog is the hard part, honestly.
its honestly not, that much dialog, compared to like, genshin or arknights events.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm halfway done with this event that gives you 40 days to complete and I've played maybe 6 hours of it

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I guess I wouldn't know since I haven't actually done it yet, lol. But mostly I was put off by needing to go through the entire intro quest just to unlock the new Relic farming node so I could use up all my stamina. And it was like... why am I doing this? If I am suffering through the writing just so I can farm more relics, then why the hell am I even playing the game? That sort of thought process.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

you dont have to do it all now. space it out and do like 1 quest when you feel like it. or even just part of one. it doesnt have to be overwhelming

but also if you aren't enjoying this stuff, the fun character writing and all that, then maybe you shouldn't be playing the game yeah. it's ok to stop

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thats not the intro quest to the event, thats a new main story chapter. its like how previous patch had both the topaz/belabog main story and also aetherium wars.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

someone awful. posted:

you dont have to do it all now. space it out and do like 1 quest when you feel like it. or even just part of one. it doesnt have to be overwhelming

but also if you aren't enjoying this stuff, the fun character writing and all that, then maybe you shouldn't be playing the game yeah. it's ok to stop
but also yeah, this. you can just take a break, or take it chill. you dont have to do the most optimal thing the day the new relic sets come out. you can just log in, autofarm exp/money for 5 minutes, collect whatever dailies you happened to clear, log out. or just not play at all. its not like theyre continually raising the max level or anything, you wont 'fall behind.' if you ever feel like coming back

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 16, 2023

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Endorph posted:

its honestly not, that much dialog, compared to like, genshin or arknights events.

Arknights I can click a single button and it immediately skips all dialogue. Star Rail I can't even reliably skip the currently active text bubble thanks to the stupid "can't advance text until all animations finish" thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zurai posted:

Arknights I can click a single button and it immediately skips all dialogue. Star Rail I can't even reliably skip the currently active text bubble thanks to the stupid "can't advance text until all animations finish" thing.
yeah but if im skipping all the dialog and autoing 90% of the combat there's an even faster skip of 'not playing the game.'

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

yeah but if im skipping all the dialog and autoing 90% of the combat why would i even play the game

Well, I don't auto 90% of the combat because I actually enjoy the gameplay. I also enjoy most of the game's writing, but this event's text:gameplay ratio sucks. I don't play visual novels for a reason.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this event's text:gameplay ratio honestly seems fine? the writing is actually, very good, and its seriously not that big a time sink. if we were talking hours to read one character's thing thatd be one thing but its extremely breezy. there's not that much needless fluff.

you get through a sidequest here in the time it takes a genshin NPC to explain the concept of beating up some golems in a plotless combat event.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Pretty sure Aetherium Wars had more dialogue than this tbh

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Compare it to the museum event, where you only had to do a very short sidequest once or twice per "day", and the rest was all gameplay. This requires you to do a sidequest every single step, and those sidequests have essentially zero gameplay in them.

Also, I don't give a poo poo what Genshin's text is like because I don't play it.

Meowywitch posted:

Pretty sure Aetherium Wars had more dialogue than this tbh

It also had much more gameplay. Much, much more.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean, this event is mostly dialog focused. would a random bit of combat add much? aetherium wars had a bunch of random pokemon battles that were basically impossible to lose, what did that add? id rather random bits of dialog than that, that has more potential to be interesting.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

yeah but if im skipping all the dialog and autoing 90% of the combat there's an even faster skip of 'not playing the game.'

It's me, I'm the guy who doesn't read or care about the story and autobattles as much as possible

I just like a long term project building RPG teams

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

i mean, this event is mostly dialog focused. would a random bit of combat add much? aetherium wars had a bunch of random pokemon battles that were basically impossible to lose, what did that add? id rather random bits of dialog than that, that has more potential to be interesting.

Combat isn't the only form of gameplay. Again, reference the museum event (or Aurum Alley).

Also, I liked the pokemon battles. They were a new spin on the standard combat and were interesting enough to last through the quest. The fact that I was changing my team every couple of battles meant they didn't wear out.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I don't get the complaining about the story to gameplay ratio either. It feels about right to me. It just sounds to me that the game isn't really for some posters and they're only just now realizing it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'd say it's more burnout. Just because you liked something once, doesn't mean you'll always like it forever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zurai posted:

Combat isn't the only form of gameplay. Again, reference the museum event (or Aurum Alley).

Also, I liked the pokemon battles. They were a new spin on the standard combat and were interesting enough to last through the quest. The fact that I was changing my team every couple of battles meant they didn't wear out.
i liked the pokemon battles, as a whole, i just think 'some random NPC monster you already caught wandering up and dying in two hits' was a bit pointless

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I don't get the complaining about the story to gameplay ratio either. It feels about right to me. It just sounds to me that the game isn't really for some posters and they're only just now realizing it.

Clarste posted:

I'd say it's more burnout.

Nope and nope. I loved the museum event, I liked Aurum Alley, I liked Aetherium Wars. I enjoy playing through SU and Swarm, I enjoy most of the game's writing. I even liked the Luofu main quests.

But I couldn't give a poo poo about Guinaifen, Huohuo doesn't do it for me, and Sushang isn't active enough here to make up for the other two. That makes for a whole lot of text that I just don't care to read in order to get the time-limited rewards. If I could just skip all the text instead of having to wait ten seconds every time for a character to nod, I wouldn't have any complaints at all.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I've taken two hiatuses already, and come back each time. If it's dragging on you, take a break for a while and see if it hooks you again later, if you miss it. Generally, that's the sane thing to do with a Hoyo game anyway.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

the first like 5-10 minutes of this event had a lot of long animations the dialog was timed to which is what i think people are running into here that makes it "feel long." the later stuff flows a bit more normally.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Was there an option of skipping some of the quest like in Kafka's? I saw there was a "NO" dialogue option when Gui asks you to help out but I didn't pick it

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I am the weirdo who wants this to be more of a visual novel. This event was made for me. It's incredible.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean, I read a novel every other week in Arknights, I'm just feeling unmotivated to read this particular text in this particular game.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I want to be clear that I don't begrudge the people who are enjoying this quest. It's good to have a variety, and since 1.6 has another big SU update/event, I'm sure I'll be thrilled in another few weeks. I'm just not enjoying this quest and wish the game would just let me skip dialogue/cutscenes.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

whenever they started doing "captainverse" stories in hi3 i started blanket skipping all of them because they were stupid AU stuff and i never really regretted that. i dont think its strange to want to skip the story bits you're not interested in but they've decided this was the hill they wanted to die on with their new games. i might still be playing genshin if they ever had got a skip in there.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I mean I will agree that we both need a general skip button and for there to not be the dumb Genshin animation pause. Sadly they are ADDING that 'feature' to HI3 instead of not.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

like this is honestly the best writing ive seen in a hoyo thing. everyone has so much life and personality.

Qinque's during this event is amazing and I wish she was able to chase her dream

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Radical posted:

whenever they started doing "captainverse" stories in hi3 i started blanket skipping all of them because they were stupid AU stuff and i never really regretted that. i dont think its strange to want to skip the story bits you're not interested in but they've decided this was the hill they wanted to die on with their new games. i might still be playing genshin if they ever had got a skip in there.

Paimon : You mean you would stilll be playing Genshin if they had a skip in there?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
If you hate Gui you should leave this thread imho

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

guinaifen rules

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Endorph posted:

True, and the other difference is that I actually want to read and listen to the dialogue in this game (generally speaking since there were some slow points in the MSQ). It’s quite a contrast compared to making sure I have something else to do when I’m ready to plow through genshin dialogue so I don’t have to stare at the screen while I’m smashing the screen to advance as quickly as it allows. I’m curious if they just did this naturally when developing and writing everything or if they actively took Genshin’s major criticisms and tried to fix them for this game.

It kind of reminds me of when HI3 was at its best. I wanted to read it all, the flavor text was even entertaining and I would happily do it even if the currency reward carrot wasn’t being dangled. Like the social media interface this event cracks me up and I don’t get currency for reading all of that but I do anyways. The EN localization team and VAs did a great job.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Zurai posted:

Nope and nope. I loved the museum event, I liked Aurum Alley, I liked Aetherium Wars. I enjoy playing through SU and Swarm, I enjoy most of the game's writing. I even liked the Luofu main quests.

But I couldn't give a poo poo about Guinaifen, Huohuo doesn't do it for me, and Sushang isn't active enough here to make up for the other two. That makes for a whole lot of text that I just don't care to read in order to get the time-limited rewards. If I could just skip all the text instead of having to wait ten seconds every time for a character to nod, I wouldn't have any complaints at all.

I am not being a smartass by saying this, but you do know the button in the top right skips all talking?

EDIT: Oh, the event doesn't have that button there...? that's really weird

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

kirbysuperstar posted:

If you hate Gui you should leave this thread imho

she's a total dud, but they put her next to huohuo who is somehow worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY