Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/therealhoarse/status/1724190996982821335

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
im just astounded that someone paid $1m+ for a house in oklahoma

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

so i saw this photo a few days ago and assumed it was some hosed up AI or photoshop thing but my wife mentioned it was in vogue and oh how i laughed

cowboy bezos in his pickup truck with his best gal is just ... i cannot express how stupid this is. Annie Liebowitz is not doin them any favors.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rotor posted:

I've just a small time investor who owns 60 houses, nbd

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

why does he look like he doesn't know she's there? life imitating ai art

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rotor posted:

so i saw this photo a few days ago and assumed it was some hosed up AI or photoshop thing but my wife mentioned it was in vogue

why would these be mutually exclusive?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Chris Knight posted:

just loving lol

it just keeps happening.

and by god, real estate speculators feel they're owed their promised gains.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 16, 2023

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

professional photos are so processed now they make people look like realdolls [especially so if the subject happens to kinda look like one in the first place]

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

just loving lol

apart from everything else:

> Airbnb director of communications Jay Carney

lmao

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

rotor posted:

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

qirex posted:

I've just a small time investor who owns 60 houses, nbd

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

infernal machines posted:

i don't think anyone would waste llm time to post on sa, and no, i don't think we've had someone genuinely interested in joining this community since hbag

I found out from a 17 year old we recently hired that everyone he knows going to a 4 year college used some kind of LLM to write their papers. What really floored me is that he said people are sing them to write texts, as in chat messages for them.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the last round of interns were 100% focused on finding ways to get LLMs to do their work for them.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AlbertFlasher posted:

wtf why did I just quote my self

why wouldn’t you

no one else is gonna

qirex posted:

it’s not a physical problem but an economic one of being “too valuable to use” which sucks and you should get your property forcibly sold to someone who’s going to use it if you’re doing this [see also retail units sitting empty for a decade because the landlord wants stupid rent and bought the building mostly to eventually flip or redevelop it]

don’t they lose significant money by not renting it at all?

maybe there’s some tax write offs or something idk but I don’t get why getting no money is better than just some

like if stuff at my work is about to expire we might sell it a bit cheap but then most just goes to waste, surely even if it was 75% off that’d at least recover some of the money spent to buy it? maybe it’s a bad look idk

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

rotor posted:

the last round of interns were 100% focused on finding ways to get LLMs to do their work for them.

jesus christ

ai is going to destroy the world, but not in the way anyone expects

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i'm apparently getting two interns to do grunt work for me soon, looking forward to dealing with that bullshit

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

errrmmmm if you could take ai chat to the ai thread, thatd be great, thanks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
two LLMs on tinder forever chatting each other up not knowing the other is also an intern too

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

post hole digger posted:

errrmmmm if you could take ai chat to the ai thread, thatd be great, thanks

there’s a new rules about it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

echinopsis posted:

why wouldn’t you

no one else is gonna

don’t they lose significant money by not renting it at all?

maybe there’s some tax write offs or something idk but I don’t get why getting no money is nether than just some

like if stuff at my work is about to expire we might sell it a bit cheap but then most just goes to waste, surely even if it was 75% off that’d at least recover some of the money spent to buy it? maybe it’s a bad look idk

retail space doesn't expire on a meaningful timeline. if you think you can give up a year of rent at X per month and then land a tenant who pays 2.5*X per month and make it back within the year, waiting makes sense

it's on local governments to structure the legal environment so doing that isn't profitable

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
had a student employee once that didn't know how to use a screwdriver

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

echinopsis posted:

there’s a new rules about it

its a disgrace that i cant post about what jay carney is up to in peace

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Chalks posted:

ai is going to destroy the world, but not in the way anyone expects

everyone overestimates new technology in the short run and underestimates it in the long run

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

retail space doesn't expire on a meaningful timeline. if you think you can give up a year of rent at X per month and then land a tenant who pays 2.5*X per month and make it back within the year, waiting makes sense

it's on local governments to structure the legal environment so doing that isn't profitable

otoh isn’t the thing that started this convo about 800 billies being wiped out coz “no one wants to work (in an office) anymore”?

I get what you’re saying tho, but spose it can only hold for so long

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
800 billion dollars were not lit on fire. The predictions/expectations of money paid to billionaires because they own skyscrapers went down by 800 billion dollars. this is objectively a good thing.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

change always hurts and it always hurts poor people the most, but i think it will eventually be a net gain

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

graph posted:

had a student employee once that didn't know how to use a screwdriver

i dont understand

did they just hold it to the screw and expect it to pop out?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Carthag Tuek posted:

i dont understand

did they just hold it to the screw and expect it to pop out?

1 - they didnt understand how to hold it
2 - they didnt understand that pressure was needed to be placed on the screw while turning

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

graph posted:

1 - they didnt understand how to hold it
2 - they didnt understand that pressure was needed to be placed on the screw while turning

torx supremacy

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

infernal machines posted:

like, broadly speaking, if you have the budget to retrofit in plumbing and hvac for 20 units in a building that was designed with two washrooms per floor, you probably have the budget to tear the thing down and just build proper residential. then you can avoid the fun that comes with jank-rear end infrastructure retrofits.

yeah i guess you're right. i'm just imagining ghost downtowns with no office workers to support retail, and municipalities completely stumped about both 1) how to get people downtown and 2) what to do with all these people who need housing. two completely unrelated problems, oh well.

maybe we'll at least get some sick as hell squats

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

raminasi posted:

yeah i guess you're right. i'm just imagining ghost downtowns with no office workers to support retail,

with all respect, gently caress this trash

YOU HAVENT GIVEN ANYBODY A RAISE IN FIVE YEARS
EVERYTHING'S TWICE AS EXPENSIVE FIVE YEARS AGO

IF YOU DRAG ME INTO THE OFFICE, YOUR CUNNING PLAN TO MAKE ME GO BUY A $21 SUSHI BURRITO EVERY DAY FOR LUNCH SO YOU CAN HAVE A 'VIBRANT' CITY BELOW YOUR PENTHOUSE WILL. NOT. WORK. i'm making you buy my lunch, or i'm bringing a loving ham sandwich in a paper bag.

i am, indeed, very hot on this one. Stop siphoning my money back into your real estate holdings. (not you personally of course)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like I appreciate that lots of small businesses will fail and hollowed out downtown cores are a Real Big Problem but i dont think its up to workers to prop this up artificially. Not that i think raminasi was suggesting that, but the suggestion has certainly been made by some people.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

800 billion dollars were not lit on fire. The predictions/expectations of money paid to billionaires because they own skyscrapers went down by 800 billion dollars. this is objectively a good thing.

sure is

and yeah always irked me when loss of profits is described as something they had that was taken away from them

rotor posted:

like I appreciate that lots of small businesses will fail and hollowed out downtown cores are a Real Big Problem but i dont think its up to workers to prop this up artificially. Not that i think raminasi was suggesting that, but the suggestion has certainly been made by some people.

yeah it’s unfortunate if ordinary peeps working hard get shafted for sure, and unfortunately that’s a tale as old as time

Jonny 290 posted:

A 'VIBRANT' CITY

absolutely. I was quite young when I clicked onto the fact that’s there’s gently caress all to do in cities that doesn’t involve spending money. which is quite rude considering I don’t have enough of it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm bringing a loving ham natto and surstromming sandwich in a paper bag.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

and microwaving it in whichever break room is nearest my boss's office

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

haveblue posted:

yeah that’s probably the rationale, but i feel like this strategy will never work. so you have vacant retail space and refuse to rent it out to a cheap customer. then nobody goes to your retail space. then nobody wants to rent it because nobody goes there.

you need occupancy to grow traffic to grow revenue, expensive stores won’t set up in your poo poo strip mall or whatever.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

sf hasn't been vibrant in over a decade

there was a vibrant veneer brought by the rich folks who were there due to inertia, but the city has been in decline for way longer than that

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i say this as someone who moved to the bay area many years ago thinking it was vibrant, then left a few years later thoroughly disenfranchised

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Eeyo posted:

yeah that’s probably the rationale, but i feel like this strategy will never work. so you have vacant retail space and refuse to rent it out to a cheap customer. then nobody goes to your retail space. then nobody wants to rent it because nobody goes there.

you need occupancy to grow traffic to grow revenue, expensive stores won’t set up in your poo poo strip mall or whatever.

if you hold out for the current asking price, you can tell the bank that it's still a highly valuable space that just happens to be empty right now

if you rent it out for a much lower price, the valuation plummets, and the bank starts asking why your collateral is worth less than what they're lending you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

AlbertFlasher posted:

wtf why did I just quote my self

a yos who quote they own pos

a shameful yos