Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Y'all are sleeping on Close Encounters of the Third Kind... which is understandable because the film was tranquilizing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Spielberg is a bad film director and should be shunned.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

drat, that's a baller probe

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Spielberg's bad (or "bad") movies are more interesting than his good ones. Like the latter are extremely impressive works of art, but I honestly love how weird and off-putting Hook is, for example.

For that matter some of his better and more-respected films have the same energy I'm talking about, it's not really directly related to quality -- I'd group Minority Report and E.T. under the same heading.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Schwarzwald posted:

Y'all are sleeping on Close Encounters of the Third Kind... which is understandable because the film was tranquilizing!

I was surprised by how "sleepy" this movie is. Threw it on for some friends earlier this year cuz I had just bought the 4k, and they all tapped out when the spaceships showed up in the first act. Everyone was bored.

I went back and finished it, and I like it, but it doesn't have a lot of highs. I know people love it, but I understood how I'd gone so long without seeing it all the way through.

It did get me to watch more Truffaut films, so it was a net positive overall.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

For me it's one of the best films about ufo's and aliens in how it just slowly drops all the information. It's a super dark story but it's also very childlike and awe inspiring.

It's not a film to show to some buddies lol. It's a film you sit in the dark by yourself and watch.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It'd be a cult classic darling if only it weren't directed by Steven Spielberg.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

AI owns and the Flesh Fair is NASTY

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

All the household clutter and everyone talking over each other in Close Encounters is a remarkable bit of realism and the way it clashes with the alien stuff is awesome

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Hilarious that Close Encounters was considered exciting popcorn poo poo in the 70's and now people can't even make it through the first act.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

His entire body of work is a bit recontextualized post-Fablemans.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
From what I understand the special effects in the big finale of Close Encounters was mind blowing poo poo for the late 70s. And they hold up, they really don't feel dated to me when I watch the movie now.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Basebf555 posted:

From what I understand the special effects in the big finale of Close Encounters was mind blowing poo poo for the late 70s. And they hold up, they really don't feel dated to me when I watch the movie now.

It's like a prog rock show with a huge light show setup and end on a synthesizer duel.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I love Close Encounters because it doesn't have any "action" in it. Its just a chill movie about a guy who gets taken away by aliens for a human zoo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

its a weirdly dark story of an unhappy man who chases his childlike dreams and abandon's his family. There was one year where the film confused me and I didn't like how frustrating those two things went together, but ive come to love it about it.

it's a conflicting film.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's literally about a dude abandoning his children and wife for possibly the rest of their lives so he can live in a zoo for aliens. If you watch the special edition they specifically show you the zoo with other aliens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmD-e3QSQ1k

Dudes in a loving zoo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

not canon

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Absolutely canon, dude spends the rest of his life in a zoo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

no special edition is canon

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It'll be fine, they're going to serve him! That must be good!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Opopanax posted:

It'll be fine, they're going to serve him! That must be good!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think the reason it works is because Spielberg himself didn't seem to really understand how dark it was when he made it. He made it earnestly because he legitimately had that much wide-eyed enthusiasm for aliens and it wasn't until he got a bit older that he fully realized the implications of it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

I think the reason it works is because Spielberg himself didn't seem to really understand how dark it was when he made it. He made it earnestly because he legitimately had that much wide-eyed enthusiasm for aliens and it wasn't until he got a bit older that he fully realized the implications of it.

100% agreed. Honestly top 3 Bergs. I just think it's a beautiful film and John Williams best score.

I took mushrooms and looked up to the sky with close encounters music blaring and I weeped.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/sillydeadite/status/1725342769546252314?s=46

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I'd be more hype if this was a James Wan joint.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
a "glorious throwback to 90's horror" isn't the ringing endorsement they seem to think it is

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Yeah OK so Thanksgiving might be good but does it have anyone yeeting a chair at a cop??? No???

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

im going to find out saturday morning.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

When I realized that it wasn't keeping the Grindhouse aesthetic I immediately tuned out. I'm just not really an Eli Roth person unfortunately. But it is a horror movie with a holiday theme so no doubt I'll give it a shot eventually.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I thought I couldn't love the Chucky TV series more, but now I'm on S2 and there's Marlon Brando Chucky and I'm dying.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

a "glorious throwback to 90's horror" isn't the ringing endorsement they seem to think it is

A brilliant throwback to the films of yesteryear, such as *checks notes* Stigmata, House on Haunted Hill, and End of Days.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

End of Days rules :colbert:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
House on Haunted Hill 1999 has Geoffrey Rush doing a Vincent Price impression and its loving amazing.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Silence of the Lambs was in the 90's but i really doubt Roth is channeling that Demme energy

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
And the scary rear end VCR camcorder scene and cinema's best depiction of Yawgmoth

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Scream is 90's horror.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

alf_pogs posted:

Silence of the Lambs was in the 90's but i really doubt Roth is channeling that Demme energy

Demme had more honest empathy in one shot than Roth will have ever. And I don’t even need to go to one of his good movies for that. That version of A Master Builder shot like a play at a B&B is Ossining was better than anything Roth has done.

Come in!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I assume the 90s reference just means Roth does more of his wonderfully dated edgelordiness.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Hollismason posted:

House on Haunted Hill 1999 has Geoffrey Rush doing a Vincent Price impression and its loving amazing.

I always come back to watching it every few years. It's a pretty decent flick, and I like the 90s marilyn manson/nin music video special effects vibe.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Count Thrashula posted:

That would be cool, they created a really interested "world" that I would be interested in getting more stories out of.

It left me with so many questions I hope they get a series just to go into more detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
The Rental was kind of interesting but the fact that our whole cast gets killed off so quickly (major spoiler) while unique, is kind of unsatisfying by design. I think one of the things that makes a thriller or slasher satisfying is a cat-and-mouse, but the choices made undercut that. Certainly a mumblecore horror