Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

YES, Marquee, NESN, etc. make so much goddamned money, the teams would never give up those cash cows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I always forget the Yankees reacquired YES.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I do hope the Guards get dropped from Diamond/Bally Sports so they can be picked up by someone who will actually loving broadcast the games. Bally Sports didn't have an agreement with Dish last season so I basically didnt get to watch my team at loving all. RSNs delenda est.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

'25 ASG coming back to Atlanta, where I assume solved all those problems?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

pseudodragon posted:

The NHL has some fun ones.

The KC Scouts > Colorado Rockies > NJ Devils mentioned already is unique in that they've had 3 completely different identities in its incarnations.

But then, going back to Oakland, there's the history of the California/Oakland/Bay Area Seals which can claim anywhere between 2-5 cities depending on how you trace their lineage.

They became the Cleveland Barons in a straightforward move, but then they merged with the Minnesota North Stars keeping the Minny city and identity but under the ownership of the Barons owners. The North Stars then moved to Dallas so that's a fourth city for the California franchise. I don't think the Stars claim the Seal/Baron years you can count that however you like.

But they can also count an additional entry if we track the team by ownership and players rather than NHL official history. The Gund family were minority owners of the Seals who convinced the other owners to sell to them and move the team to Cleveland. Then they orchestrated the Minny merger so they've now owned teams in 3 cities. They then wanted to move back to the Bay to San Jose. The league said no, but said they could have an expansion team if they sold the Stars. Part of the deal was also that they could take some players from the Stars who would then also be allowed to take part in the expansion draft. So if you count by owner, the Gunds controlled the team through 4 cities even though the league doesn't count the Sharks as part of the lineage.

Replacing a team called the Minnesota North Stars with one called the Minnesota Wild may be the greatest travesty in the annals of sports

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Eric the Mauve posted:

Replacing a team called the Minnesota North Stars with one called the Minnesota Wild may be the greatest travesty in the annals of sports

my hate of teams named after singular nouns or adjectives is only complicated by my Chicago Sky fandom

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://x.com/talkinyanks/status/1725153652980035803?s=46&t=6jG3azctmf9ULNpQ002qHg

When you get a chance to trade for a righty hitter you’ve watched in your own division be utterly mediocre for his whole career you just need to do it if you’re brain Cashman. 100 ops+ once in 8 years in the majors. That has Yankees center fielder written all over it imo.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

mcmagic posted:

https://x.com/talkinyanks/status/1725153652980035803?s=46&t=6jG3azctmf9ULNpQ002qHg

When you get a chance to trade for a righty hitter you’ve watched in your own division be utterly mediocre for his whole career you just need to do it if you’re brain Cashman. 100 ops+ once in 8 years in the majors. That has Yankees center fielder written all over it imo.

I would rather that they have an open try out and go with a 35-year old men's league veteran in CF than trade with the Rays.

This has utter disaster written all over it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

This is a strange new world where Yankees fans are bitter, pessimistic and endlessly doomposting. But I like it and I think I'm gonna buy a house here

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

I would rather that they have an open try out and go with a 35-year old men's league veteran in CF than trade with the Rays.

This has utter disaster written all over it.

Cashman im ready

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Margot's a weird dude where it seems like every year there are trade rumors around him and all this hype about how he could totally break out and be really good but like, at this point he's closing in on 3000 MLB PA's and I think you just gotta accept he is what he is: a below average hitter who was once a very good CF but has fallen off defensively the last couple years, and also he's injured all the goddamn time.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Would you say that being injured all the time is part of his game?

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

Would you say that being injured all the time is part of his game?

No but he does have Teflon skin

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

the Twins are the original Senators so it’s only right

The Rangers were fake Senators for just 10 years

living up to your fandom by dodging the question smh

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is a strange new world where Yankees fans are bitter, pessimistic and endlessly doomposting. But I like it and I think I'm gonna buy a house here

Do you just have mcmagic on ignore or something?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Monathin posted:

Do you just have mcmagic on ignore or something?

I do. :shrug:

Most of the Yankees posters are cool and good.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
a) ignore is the coward's way of posting, you never ignore
b) mcmagic is the best Yankees poster because every Yankees fan is either a mcmagic or lying about not being a mcmagic, but he's just WFANing his way through his terrible takes and backpedaling things he previously said that there are records of no matter how ridiculous and childish it is, hth

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

rickiep00h posted:

I do. :shrug:

Most of the Yankees posters are cool and good.

Ignore is for cowards.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

mcmagic posted:

Ignore is for cowards.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Ignore is for cowards.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

congrats shohei on probably the most obvious MVP win there's ever been

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mcmagic posted:

Ignore is for cowards.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

mcmagic posted:

Ignore is for cowards.

except for Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

sad Arte reaching for those last few dollars with a tshirt it looks like an intern threw together in 15 minutes

https://twitter.com/billshaikin/status/1725297179588178240

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Acuña, unanimous

E: first time for both MVPs to be unanimous apparently

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 17, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Remember when the checking for sticky stuff was going to make Cole a number 4 starter?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Crazy to hit free agency right after being the MVP three years in a row

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

Crazy to hit free agency right after being the MVP three years in a row

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

This is a pretty rad rebranding

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Turns out it's a Caesars sport betting collab

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Julio finishing 4th triggered the first big escalator in his contract and locked in an extra $40 million on the team option.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Remember when the checking for sticky stuff was going to make Cole a number 4 starter?

Guess he found a new way to cheat!!!

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Guess he found a new way to cheat!!!

He's a former Astro after all

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/UmpireAuditor/status/1725301389449126119

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

euphronius posted:

The one time I went to Citi I remember being way more interested in the fascinating car repair neighborhood next door .

It’s probably gone now

LOL, those chop shops have been there for decades and are still currently there unless a change happened real recently.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

wow, the power of framing

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

This is a pretty rad rebranding

The city's high schools have occasionally leaned into the name. They're currently the Wolves (Mussolini gifted the city a Capitoline Wolf). When the high schools were split, East Rome were the Gladiators.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

bawfuls posted:

sad Arte reaching for those last few dollars with a tshirt it looks like an intern threw together in 15 minutes

https://twitter.com/billshaikin/status/1725297179588178240

T-shirt design is my passion

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

There has to be a reason Arte Moreno, despite being the dumbest motherfucker in Anaheim (it's a long list), decided not to sell after he was gonna sell. Somebody he trusted told him, all you have to do is make the franchise about this guy and watch it grow.

800 millions. Other teams might want the shorter deal. Don't be like them.

Wallet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

mdemone posted:

There has to be a reason Arte Moreno, despite being the dumbest motherfucker in Anaheim (it's a long list), decided not to sell after he was gonna sell. Somebody he trusted told him, all you have to do is make the franchise about this guy and watch it grow.

800 millions. Other teams might want the shorter deal. Don't be like them.

Wallet.
One rumor was that he was asking way too much and nobody was willing to come close to his price