Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I’ll install and play a fixed thread scenario, I haven’t played in over a year and was never super great to begin with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

toasterwarrior posted:

This thread is a great source of gaming doomer-boomer quotes, ngl

they pushed out an update using base game rules (probably so it can be played on consoles) that broke mod compatibility so they could put an ad-ticket on the main menu. where is the inspirational description of what was shat out today

e: oh and apparently it's just reusing a community scenario/idea which has been around since civ3?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

harrygomm posted:

they pushed out an update using base game rules (probably so it can be played on consoles) that broke mod compatibility so they could put an ad-ticket on the main menu.

That's... a very good way of putting it, actually.

Which Firaxis game was it that pushed out a "QoL" update that did literally nothing except break mods and change the launcher to shove more ads at people? Was it also civ6?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The "normies" most goons look down don't give a gently caress about mods, they'll look at the thing, see if they're interested in a run, do so or don't instead of staring in horror as FOMO cripples their brains

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

toasterwarrior posted:

The "normies" most goons look down don't give a gently caress about mods, they'll look at the thing, see if they're interested in a run, do so or don't instead of staring in horror as FOMO cripples their brains

:ok:

LonsomeSon posted:

I’ll install and play a fixed thread scenario, I haven’t played in over a year and was never super great to begin with

Yeah I'd be up for this too, though if goons have a complete mish-mash of DLC and mods then we'd have to be careful with the settings used to generate the original save file

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
well like most games. the best way to get a culture victory for the event is take away nearly every city the ai's have via war. the game is only on 4 (prince?) so they don't build an army for poo poo. so much land to take tho.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Xerol posted:

I haven't been on CFC in over a decade (is it still around even?) but they used to do a game of the month going back to at least civ3 times, and it was pretty much the same thing - here's a set seed (I think they just passed around a starting save file), and a goal, who can do it best.

I'd be down for something like that.

They still do it, apparently

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

ded posted:

well like most games. the best way to get a culture victory for the event is take away nearly every city the ai's have via war. the game is only on 4 (prince?) so they don't build an army for poo poo. so much land to take tho.

I've been trying not to do this, but isn't conquering a civ or two just kind of cruise control for cool when it comes to any win condition in 6? When an AI declares was on me I actively try not to conquer them (it's hard, as the war weariness mechanics make captured cities a devastatingly effective sponge for the homeland happiness) because then I have a civ-conquering army sitting around doing nothing and twice as many cities as anyone else.

Moreso than the older games I feel like I need to strongly self-regulate for the game to remain challenging.

E: Before anyone mentions Diplomatic Victory, that's the name of a checkbox to uncheck in the game options and nothing more, since I already have the achievements related to it. I don't think that the "guess what the AI will vote for then also vote for that" World Council is any good at all.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 17, 2023

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
the rules are all screwy. i did have to build tons of entertainment but the normal city flipping loyalty does not happen. i just burned all the civs down to like 1-3 cities for each of them. and ya war pretty much solves all problems in civ

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Culture victories are one of the easiest wins, and most people who don't know how to play (obviously on King difficulty or lower) will eventually stumble into culture victories just by playing long enough and building wonders.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to play the monthly game linked above, and I was able to conquer a couple of Vietnam's cities alright but I'm running into the issue where now I can't keep them because of loyalty so I think I may have failed

The game is a pretty good start though, you get horses, iron, some good luxuries, a bunch of 3 and 4 adjacency campuses, etc.

But I'm so behind in science while I rushed an army since the stated goal was domination or religious and I'm sure as gently caress not doing religious, I dunno how I'm gonna catch up and conquer everyone else especially across continents, which is insanely annoying

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The answer is probably bombers, tragically. Cross-continent warfare absolutely sucks.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Well I might have to restart anyway to keep in the spirit of the challenge which is not to reload any turns (but I don't see anything wrong with starting over from scratch)

We'll see how bad I hosed myself by using a lot of resources capturing cities that I don't think I can hold

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Stefan Prodan posted:

Well I might have to restart anyway to keep in the spirit of the challenge which is not to reload any turns (but I don't see anything wrong with starting over from scratch)

We'll see how bad I hosed myself by using a lot of resources capturing cities that I don't think I can hold

you can see the loyalty warnings in the city banner before you commit to taking it, just raze it instead if the lil thingy is red

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
What happens as far as domination if you raze the capital?

I was in the end able to keep it, but I don't think I caught up in science enough to win this game if it has to be domination, I might start over but I dunno

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Stefan Prodan posted:

What happens as far as domination if you raze the capital?

I was in the end able to keep it, but I don't think I caught up in science enough to win this game if it has to be domination, I might start over but I dunno

You can't.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ok well in that case I couldn’t have razed it either way then haha

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That concept of the game of the month thing is neat tho because now that I failed at it I'm interested in like "how did other people do this"

I hadn't played as Abe before and I chose to try and swordsman/battering ram rush to try and take over Vietnam, thinking that once I got industrial zones I would use those powered up melee units along with the siege units I already had to keep rolling on to the next guy, but I got bogged down trying to actually keep the Vietnamese cities and then by the time I finished securely taking over Vietnam, I thought I could also take some city states to shore up my loyalty pressure before moving to Byzantium, but then I got an emergency declared on me over the city state and by then Byzantium was coming at me with artillery and it took me forever to defend it and I'm like 7 or 8 techs behind which may be too much to overcome, I dunno. I do have a really good production base though, I got a +5 industrial zone and Ruhr Valley in Washington and a bunch of other industrial zones everywhere else. If I pumped out bombers really hard maybe I could still do it, I'm trying to beeline them now.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh yea, someone please explain how Ruhr valley is so good? On paper it looks like something ultra-niche, taking forever to break even in terms of industry, so it's regulated to a something like pre-building in a city for when a space project unlocks.

Like, a "normal" city with five mines and a preexisting +20% industry would take fourty-five turns until breakeven, which is hot junk. If you did something like totally terraform a city in preparation of Ruhr, and had 20 mines, the math is much better and it pays for itself in 3 turns but... do people do that? That's a shitton of builder charges to burn prepping for a wonder, which might be optimal multiplayer play but I really don't play that.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN
folks who are interested in a game of the month thing may also like the civfanatics forums: https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/civ6-game-of-the-month.545/

I've never played one but have skimmed a few threads

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Serephina posted:

Oh yea, someone please explain how Ruhr valley is so good?

+1 Production to Mines and Quarries is very nice when you have a city in the Tundra Hills where that's about all you can build, but for most civs Ruhr Valley is going to be about the +20% Production more than anything. A high-adjacency Industrial Zone (with Dams, Aqueducts, and Canals at +2.5 each, as they get the district adjacency as well) can easily hit +6 with a little planning on top of the upgrade benefits.

As long as you're not Brazil, the best way I've found to use Ruhr Valley is actually in an undeveloped city in a hill-dense rainforest with ideally a couple lakes and a well-placed Industrial Zone, regardless of if you've developed the adjacencies. Place Ruhr, then start choppin' hill rainforests to get it out quick. Continue choppin' hill rainforests (which will receive 20% additional production) to build up the adjacencies for the Industrial Zone, then infill with Mines and Quarries. Apologize to God and your citizens for your -7 Appeal ratings, then build whatever you want at easily twice the pace of any of your other cities.

Behind Rainforest and Regularforest Hills, you can also drop a city in the barren Tundra Hills specifically for Ruhr, but you need to do it ahead of unlocking Ruhr itself because that'll be a slow-growth city.

The only part that sucks about Ruhr is that the AI will not only beeline it, but also build it in a city with poor production output and no hills like an idiot. Ruhr can be the most powerful Wonder in the game if you plan ahead.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
New bug just dropped (or at least I think it's new).

Sometimes prerequisites are optional I guess.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
I went ahead and beat the monthly scenario. It was easy and pretty chill, but also kinda boring without all the bells and whistles that the DLC has added to the game. It was neat to play the vanilla version, if just to see the difference. No barbarians and being on a separate island meant that I didn't build a single military unit, and used builders to scout. I spent the first half of the game expanding onto my own island, and then onto a few others for the luxuries, and then pivoted to spamming seaside resorts, which let me win about 20 turns after I started building them. I wanted to make a bunch of national parks, but the vanilla naturalists are so expensive (and I didn't have a religion) that I was only able to make one park the whole game. There's also a great location for a Chicken Pizza city, which gave me phenomenal culture, which eventually turned into tourism.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

E: Before anyone mentions Diplomatic Victory, that's the name of a checkbox to uncheck in the game options and nothing more, since I already have the achievements related to it. I don't think that the "guess what the AI will vote for then also vote for that" World Council is any good at all.

i was thinking about this. diplo can already be beaten by knowing how the AI votes because that whole system shows the stupidity of the AI even worse than combat. also for the first third of the game or so you can buy all/up to 20 diplo favor from each civ for 1 gold, making it impossible for them to vote for anything more than once. so for the cost of like an early game trade route, you can guarantee a diplo victory

it's there any way to salvage that system? are there mods that try? or if not, are there any that just remove it entirely?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

harrygomm posted:

it's there any way to salvage that system? are there mods that try? or if not, are there any that just remove it entirely?

you can remove it with, you guessed it, Customization VI https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2492747881

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i should both have guessed and have sat down to look through all that things options by now

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
when looking through the workshop i saw there was a mod to remove the challenge from the landing screen so i commented all the changes out of the MainMenu.xml myself instead and now the game loads in about 15 seconds instead of about 20 for some reason. good change

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I see my main menu has been besmirched by a horrible banner

i wouldn't mind if it was useful information but do I really have to "learn more" about playing as a leader? kinda feel like that's already an well established part of the game

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Microplastics posted:

I see my main menu has been besmirched by a horrible banner

i wouldn't mind if it was useful information but do I really have to "learn more" about playing as a leader? kinda feel like that's already an well established part of the game

It’s a placeholder to put in ads for Civ VII

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea it's gross. The phrase "enshitification" comes to mind.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

This thread is a great source of gaming doomer-boomer quotes, ngl

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
there is a mod on steam to remove that btw

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

why do you care?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

why do you care?

He's been fishing for reactions with low effort troll posts for the past couple of pages, just ignore him

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh I don't care for your reactions, I just think you're all just a bunch of old whiners bitching about the most pointless stuff and assuming the worst about everything

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Seriously, a banner on the main menu that's there to help guide players in case they don't know what's up and it offends you. What are you, a loving child?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yup, bunch of giant dumb babies here, no reason to stick around.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

toasterwarrior posted:

Seriously, a banner on the main menu that's there to help guide players in case they don't know what's up and it offends you. What are you, a loving child?

guy, you emptyquoted yourself

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Goa Tse-tung posted:

guy, you emptyquoted yourself

is there a mod to improve your posting or are they locking that behind dlc, bitch

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Bet they exclusively play WW2 scenarios.