Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Fell Mood posted:

In star trek, the warp drive works by moving the space/reality around the ship, the ship itself isn't actually moving thru space, instead the bubble of reality the ship is in slips thru the surrounding reality. I'm not sure what would happen if a ship warped into a planet, but it would not be like a physical object hitting the planet at light speed, because the ship itself is not moving thru space, the space itself is moving.

I think that metaphor is slightly wrong but has the same answer effectively, because if something disrupts the warp field it just stops/appears there with no momentum so I'm not sure you even COULD warp into a planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Animal-Mother posted:

They could've used this take and nobody at UPN would have noticed or complained.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL2EoPJ0whw

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The dumbest thing about warp is when a ship is chasing another and the front one drops out of warp and the chasing one, half a minute later does the same in the same place. At high warp, the chasing ship would be lightyears ahead in seconds and would have had to stop and turn back.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It was just aerosolized Kanar. Disgusting

Damar moves to the Kanar planet, turns it into a giant vineyard.

https://www.sanluisobispo.com/living/food-drink/article39496065.html

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also no, "moving the universe around the ship instead of the ship moving" isn't how the technical manual describes it. I'll take a picture of it when I get home but there's definitely velocity happening when they're going into warp.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I love how Geordi balks at this initially before eventually realizing he’s the chief engineer of a ship with a universal constant violation engine lol

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i thought that warp drives worked by changing the laws of physics in a bubble around the ship so that a higher velocity is possible.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

warp drives work by making the ships arms go like fweee and the ship zips off in the direction of plot at a speed also directed by the plot

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Warp drive works because the script says that warp drive works.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Endless Trash posted:

I love how Geordi balks at this initially before eventually realizing he’s the chief engineer of a ship with a universal constant violation engine lol

And a Heisenberg Compensator :allears:

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Don't forget inertial dampeners

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

CainFortea posted:

"moving the universe around the ship instead of the ship moving"

I thought that only applied to Futurama.

naem
May 29, 2011

skooma512 posted:

And a Heisenberg Compensator :allears:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

blatman posted:

warp drives work by making the ships arms go like fweee and the ship zips off in the direction of plot at a speed also directed by the plot

nine-gear crow posted:

Warp drive works because the script says that warp drive works.

Let's not discount the FX artists!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i thought that warp drives worked by changing the laws of physics in a bubble around the ship so that a higher velocity is possible.

That's part of it. This is also why the ship's main computer is so fast. It's in a subspace bubble so the speed of light is faster, so brain thunk faster.

But the other part is why the warp coils in the nacelles activate in a sequence from front to back. By generating warpfields asymetrically the fields push against one, propelling the ship forward.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
Imagine four warp fields on the edge of a gravity well.

The warp drive works the same way.

ChairmanMauzer fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 16, 2023

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

CainFortea posted:

That's part of it. This is also why the ship's main computer is so fast. It's in a subspace bubble so the speed of light is faster, so brain thunk faster.

But the other part is why the warp coils in the nacelles activate in a sequence from front to back. By generating warpfields asymetrically the fields push against one, propelling the ship forward.
You can warp front to back but not back to front, majels got a hell of an infection

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Flipswitch posted:

You can warp front to back but not back to front, majels got a hell of an infection

Lmao

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Warp drive's been more than a little inconsistent over the years. In nuTrek their current science advisor interpretation is that it's pretty much an alcubierre drive with some imaginary subspace mechanics to help it work, which is really easiest to reconcile.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 16, 2023

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
There's also the subspace damage warp drives were found to do during TNG, resulting in Voyager's variable warp geometry, and now nobody really gives a poo poo anymore.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Has anyone tried to raise the efficiency of [insert part] by .01% ?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Grey Cat posted:

Has anyone tried to raise the efficiency of [insert part] by .01% ?

Rutherford did this last month but the entire crew got migraines even though we managed to stay stable at warp 9.999999 for 5 minutes

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

alexandriao posted:

Rutherford did this last month but the entire crew got migraines even though we managed to stay stable at warp 9.999999 for 5 minutes

The price to pay for knowledge, carry on, cyborg man.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
CYBOMAN! NOOOOOO!

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

If the X-Men/Star Trek comics are to be believed warp travel takes a shortcut through hell

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The spore drive makes more sense, there's a network all over already. If something is everywhere and you get in it, then changing your position to anywhere is trivial, just hook a special guy into the ship.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

If the X-Men/Star Trek comics are to be believed warp travel takes a shortcut through hell

That's literally Event Horizon and also basically 40k

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Khanstant posted:

The spore drive makes more sense

More insane words have never been posted.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Flipswitch posted:

Warp Factor "Freaky Deaky, Dude"

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I have no real complaints about sporespace as a concept for a mode of travel. It's the instantaneousness of it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

maybeadracula posted:

That's literally Event Horizon and also basically 40k

I like the 'event horizon is a 40k prequel' theory.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

Damar moves to the Kanar planet, turns it into a giant vineyard.

https://www.sanluisobispo.com/living/food-drink/article39496065.html

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The General posted:

I have no real complaints about sporespace as a concept for a mode of travel. It's the instantaneousness of it.

Yeah that's my real issue with it. Conceptually I like it, it's Trekky, and they've never explored space lifeform ecosystems despite repeatedly encountering such things.

But making it just be super warp drive is about the worst way to go. Plenty of ways to take the base concept, even make it a competitive mode of travel with its own tradeoffs or needs. Maybe it only transports organic material and they have to find some way to make themselves bioships or pods, maybe it only goes to specific places where the space ecosystem can thrive, or perhaps it's a great travel method but really upsets the ecosystem which makes ot unreliable or causes harm to lifeforms of they just use it to dash around for a dog fight or whatever frivolous excess usage. Idk easy to spit all anything that isn't just "instant OP teleport for free," that breaks the setting and they never knew how to deal with it even once pooted into the future.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Remember also that if the galaxy-sized instant-travel mushroom is damaged it will end all life everywhere!!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also the only way to traverse mushroom space is by torture

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

CainFortea posted:

Also the only way to traverse mushroom space is by torture

It's an allegory for what the audience experiences as they watch the show

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

The General posted:

Excuse me senator, but are you saying instantaneous travel is the problem for you with the spore drive? Even in the face of whistleblowers claiming generic alteration and permanent damage to the spore-pilot?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I always thought that they should make more of a deal about the Iconians. Surely they were not the only ones who might have developed jump gates as a warp alternative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I mean the only existing remnant of the iconian gateway was utterly decimated. The iconians ruled an interstellar empire but likely from a single position (Why would you give the ability to open gateways to those that you rule?), so ofc the Federation was researching it but they never really got very far for whatever reason.