Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

qbert posted:

The Ukraine trick is nice, but that's still an extra $48 a year I don't have to pay just by using SmartTube. ST also skips in-video sponsor segments, which is great for me since I watch a lot of tech channels, and they're full of those.

I’ve seen people mention the sponsor segment removal thing before, I think yt-dlp supports it too which I do use but not really for these kinds of videos so haven’t seen it in action. Curious how it works, do the creators have to flag a section of the video for YT if it’s a sponsorship plug and these tools are able to see those parts to cut around them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Show me all the ads, I don't care. I just click on Plex anyways.

Nothing like spending $150+ on a Shield TV plastered with ads every you use it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm messing about at BestBuy at the moment, the giant TV boxes could definitely fall over and maim somebody. Should set a WrestleMania match here.

Also, on my niche TV size small room situation, I'm considering trying a 48 or 50 inch instead of 43, will see. The 55 still looks too big for my setup.

It is funny, TV screens seem to look smaller in the store than they do in my house. Granted these 4K ones have a lot less stand and bezel stuff on there.

Here's a nutty niche question, is there some kind of bizarre tripod TV stand thing or something? The spot of our TV stand (one of those low open top wood cabinet-y things) is right in front of a stone area in front of an unused fireplace, with a mantel on the wall behind it etc. So I can't use a wall mount.

So if there's some way for the TV to be essentially floating in that stone area in front of the fireplace instead of on the TV stand, that would give me an extra foot or two of distance. I wonder if there's such a niche TV free-standing TV mount/stand thing. Essentially, there's about two feet deep of lumpy stone area behind the TV stand, which I can squeeze in if I need to mess with wiring the receiver etc. Forgive my nutty questions folks.

Speaking of, I have a Yamaha receiver from like 10 years ago, but it does say it does 4K passthrough.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 17, 2023

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You can, in fact mount it. Use a masonry bit to make your holes and then use masonry anchors to secure it. Ezpz. I did it!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

A picture would help.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm at BestBuy at the moment, thanks for the ideas.

LRADIKAL posted:

You can, in fact mount it. Use a masonry bit to make your holes and then use masonry anchors to secure it. Ezpz. I did it!

I believe it, that would be a bit of a project. Well for me the wood mantelpiece goes out further than the stone wall part above the fireplace etc, but I'll keep that idea open for the future. I do have some cool stuff on that mantelpiece so it's nice to be able to get at it too. Lot to consider folks.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, post pictures. There's all sorts of mounts that can extend as far from the fireplace as you need.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’ve seen people mention the sponsor segment removal thing before, I think yt-dlp supports it too which I do use but not really for these kinds of videos so haven’t seen it in action. Curious how it works, do the creators have to flag a section of the video for YT if it’s a sponsorship plug and these tools are able to see those parts to cut around them?

I don’t know how it works either, it seems like magic to me. I assume the community is crowdsourcing timestamps for each video or something, but I’ll watch videos within an hour of them dropping, and there’s already a section in the scrubber indicating the sponsor segment that gets auto-skipped. It’s great.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Corb3t posted:

Nothing like spending $150+ on a Shield TV plastered with ads every you use it.

This seems like a massive overstatement. My Home Screen only shows one “ad” spot at the top and it’s only promoting new releases on the services I’m subscribed to. The rest of the UI is just my app list and recommended movies/shows for my various subscriptions, each of which I could hide completely if I wanted to.

Edit: Took a screenshot on my phone of my home screen for Shield TV Pro. I'm totally fine with everything on this screen.

qbert fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 17, 2023

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Corb3t posted:

I'd rather not look at Fire TV/Roku/Android TV's bad UIs filled with ads and sponsored content, but that's just me.

It's only $12 a year per person in our family...

The Roku interface is very minimal and well performing and basically has one ad (generally for content I'm somewhat interested in) on the home screen and that is it.

It's not some popup ridden hellscape. I don't know why goons insist on dying on these stupidly exaggerated hills.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

qbert posted:

Edit: Took a screenshot on my phone of my home screen for Shield TV Pro. I'm totally fine with everything on this screen.

The other sections at the top are all full of ads…

BonoMan posted:

The Roku interface is very minimal and well performing and basically has one ad (generally for content I'm somewhat interested in) on the home screen and that is it.

It's not some popup ridden hellscape. I don't know why goons insist on dying on these stupidly exaggerated hills.

An ad being displayed directly on your Home Screen among your apps is pretty annoying to me, especially if I paid for the hardware. They also have screensaver ads, but those can be disabled if you monkey around in the settings.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
You can easily remove the ads from the Shield by putting a custom launcher on it. You only do it once then there are no ads forever and the home screen is much more clean. Sure, the average person isn't gonna bother, but the process isn't onerous.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Corb3t posted:

I've never visited the other sections ever except maybe the Apps section once every 6 months to download a new app or something. Apps section has zero ads, by the way.

Edit: I just browsed the other sections and there's no ads. Live just shows Live TV channel guide, Shop shows My Library in the top row and New to Buy or Rent in the 2nd row, and Discover just shows 2 rows of recommended shows/movies to watch.

qbert fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 17, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

LRADIKAL posted:

Yeah, post pictures. There's all sorts of mounts that can extend as far from the fireplace as you need.

Alrighty, there's my shameful cave. Just food for thought, I could also try and figure a way to say extend a plank platform on the TV stand to put the TV back a foot etc without mounting stuff, or something.

That is a signed photo of Emilio Estevez.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Corb3t posted:

An ad being displayed directly on your Home Screen among your apps is pretty annoying to me, especially if I paid for the hardware. They also have screensaver ads, but those can be disabled if you monkey around in the settings.

You don't even have to navigate through it. It's totally off to the side and you can completely ignore it. I mean it's the lowest friction possible for subsidized hardware. I can't feel things for you obviously but I find it real hard to find it annoying when it's not even in the way or requiring me to engage it. Honestly my brain doesn't even see it since I'm on the home screen for mere seconds at a time at most.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

The fanciest option is a Mantelmount attached with masonry bits, which will keep the TV high when it's not in use but let you lower it to the proper height. There are also freestanding tv mounts that you can put anywhere, some that can fit behind other furniture, and others that can sit on a table if you don't like or have one built in to your TV.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Tricky Ed posted:

The fanciest option is a Mantelmount attached with masonry bits, which will keep the TV high when it's not in use but let you lower it to the proper height. There are also freestanding tv mounts that you can put anywhere, some that can fit behind other furniture, and others that can sit on a table if you don't like or have one built in to your TV.

Thanks! Those free-standing ones are the kind of kooky thing I was imagining, that could be pretty easy to plop down there behind my current TV stand. Very tempting.

This would pretty much just make my distance 7 feet instead of 6 feet roughly. Which ups it from 43" to 50" on that rtings calculator. I know you folks like 55", but using a tape measure to compare here that would go out in front of the bookcases I have on either side etc, even viewing stuff aside, that's big.

So maybe doing something like that and going for 50" would be cool for me. For that cheap 43" TCL I was looking at the 50" is only $250 compared to $200. Though in store I noticed that still had some noticable shininess and glare. The Samsung ones like the QLED stuff seemed better for that in that environment, granted my lighting isn't as harsh as that. And those are pricier etc.

I'm also tempted by ones that have HDMI 2.1, since I got a PS5 recently and the variable refresh rate thing sounds cool. All good food for thought.

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008
Well I'm looking to get a TV over black Friday and I'm hoping to get some recommendations if possible!

I'm looking for a (gaming capable) TV under £1000 and after reading around have narrowed down the choice roughly to:

Hisense U7KQTUK 65 inch - £900 (currently on sale at the minute so probably my preference right now!)
TCL 65C745K - (amazon model apparently identical - 65C741K) £750
TCL 65C845K - (amazon model apparently identical - 65C841K) £950

All of them seem to have some reviews mentioning the software being bad and my main question is:

If I buy a (cheap) laptop, will I be able to hook it up and fully swerve the poor software issue? I'm also hoping to play torrents and so am hoping this is something these TVs would be ok with?
Are there some minimum specs I should look out for to be able to upscale low def content (again some reviewers mentioned this being an issue with the TVs above)?
Would having a ps5/xbox be an issue in conjunction with the laptop?

Lastly, I have some very old floor stander speakers and an amp (Marantz PM4200) and was just wondering if this is something that would likely be ok to hookup to the TV? Would the 'eARC' be something I could still take advantage of?

Any help much appreciated!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

a pwn cocktail posted:

Well I'm looking to get a TV over black Friday and I'm hoping to get some recommendations if possible!

I'm looking for a (gaming capable) TV under £1000 and after reading around have narrowed down the choice roughly to:

Hisense U7KQTUK 65 inch - £900 (currently on sale at the minute so probably my preference right now!)
TCL 65C745K - (amazon model apparently identical - 65C741K) £750
TCL 65C845K - (amazon model apparently identical - 65C841K) £950

All of them seem to have some reviews mentioning the software being bad and my main question is:

If I buy a (cheap) laptop, will I be able to hook it up and fully swerve the poor software issue? I'm also hoping to play torrents and so am hoping this is something these TVs would be ok with?
Are there some minimum specs I should look out for to be able to upscale low def content (again some reviewers mentioned this being an issue with the TVs above)?
Would having a ps5/xbox be an issue in conjunction with the laptop?

Lastly, I have some very old floor stander speakers and an amp (Marantz PM4200) and was just wondering if this is something that would likely be ok to hookup to the TV? Would the 'eARC' be something I could still take advantage of?

Any help much appreciated!

Should be fine hooking up your laptop to the tv and using it as a monitor when you want to play media off of it. I personally just use the VLC app on my Shield, with Universal Media Server setup on my PC, so I can have access to all my media folders and stream stuff that way. Also you can look into setting up Plex, as I hear that's a popular option.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

OLED S90C today is being so slow with the steaming apps! It takes forever to navigate through the apps, and ultimately none of the shows load.

I searched Google + Reddit and there was a suggestion to delete the Samsung plus tv app. I did so and it did seem to speed up navigating the apps but did not get the shows to load.

I also cleared the cache of some apps but that did not appear to do anything.

My internet is otherwise fast and fine.

Thoughts on solutions to fix the streaming apps on the Samsung tv?

E; lol I just turned everything off and on again and things resolved

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 18, 2023

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

What is the go-to sub $1000 TV? Mainly watching movies, youtube/twitch, and occasional gaming (switch, steamdeck eventually with a dock). I have a nice HDMI 2.1/HDCP 2.3 4/8K AVR, so I don't need a ton of ports.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

KKKLIP ART posted:

What is the go-to sub $1000 TV? Mainly watching movies, youtube/twitch, and occasional gaming (switch, steamdeck eventually with a dock). I have a nice HDMI 2.1/HDCP 2.3 4/8K AVR, so I don't need a ton of ports.

Led: hisense u8h
Oled: i think the 42" lg is $899

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

Whatever oled is on sale

https://www.costco.com/lg-42%22-cla...sh=true&nf=true

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Alrighty I got that cheap TCL 43" S4 tv, yes indeed. Couple questions since I haven't gotten a TV in 10 years:

This is a GoogleTV, is it better to stream with these apps or on another device? I'm used to the TV ones being slower etc, so my parents use a Roku for example. My old TV wasn't smart, so I've always used PS4 for streaming, and sometimes my PC screen with a browser connected via HDMI. Tried a Fire stick but it seemed slower etc.

Also, any stuff I might miss, like settings to turn off, turning off smoothing etc? I'm checking out the rtings settings page too.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/s4-s450g/settings

I'm used to turning off any motion smoothing stuff, but judder reduction and blur reduction (motion clarity) are new to me. Any opinions on those?

rtings mentions "To remove judder from 24p sources, the Natural Cinema setting must be enabled from the 'Motion' menu." But Natural Cinema is described as the Hollywood approved setting on the TCL, so I wonder if that's good or soap opera effect etc.

Another thing is while I saw mention of those settings in the documentation, I haven't seen them in the menus yet. Will keep looking into settings.

edit: so I notice the submenu with all the motion options is only available in certain modes, but it doesn't show up in gamer mode for example. So hopefully the TV doesn't leave some on by default in that mode etc.

And one other thing is eARC, which the HDMI 3 port is labeled as on the TV. I have an old receiver that can't use that at the moment, no HDMI Audio In slot or anything.

Another tidbit, I read ARC is an HDMI 2.1 thing, but this TCL TV does not have HDMI 2.1 ports according to BestBuy etc, which I knew. But one HDMI port is labeled (e)ARC on the back. So that's interesting.

But yeah, it's nice to dip my toe in new TV waters.

Short version of my main question: how do I know weird motion blurring stuff isn't on when that motion menu isn't always available in every mode? Just doing some trial and error at the moment. Those are on full blast in sports mode, but since game mode doesn't show the motion menu I wonder if it's on to a lower degree. And any other must change settings on TCL etc.

Lot of info to learn, but hey, looks good so far!

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 19, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Game mode turns all the motion processing off because it introduces small amounts of input lag into games.

TV manufacturers can pick and choose some of the HDMI 2.1 spec, and cheaper TVs support eARC but not the rest of it.

I recommend messing with the various motion settings and deciding for yourself what you prefer, but I’m one of those weirdos who thinks cinema accurate 24 fps is jittery and ugly, so I let my Sony TV do some of the motion processing stuff. Most TVs let you fine tune all that stuff so there’s definitely a happy medium between jittery 24fps and soap opera effect.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 19, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Corb3t posted:

Game mode turns all the motion processing off because it introduces small amounts of input lag into games.

TV manufacturers can pick and choose some of the HDMI 2.1 spec, and cheaper TVs support eARC but not the rest of it.

I recommend messing with the various motion settings and deciding for yourself what you prefer, but I’m one of those weirdos who thinks cinema accurate 24 fps is jittery and ugly, so I let my Sony TV do some of the motion processing stuff. Most TVs let you fine tune all that stuff so there’s definitely a happy medium between jittery 24fps and soap opera effect.

Cool, thanks. The "Natural Cinema" setting sounds interesting, apparently it adds a frame to 24fps content in 60z to make it less jittery. But tough to tell if that one works with the content, I hear on various streaming things movies are still flagged as 60z and not 24 so it doesn't do the thing etc.

Also, was using a Back to the Future rip to test the different settings, don't like the look of the full motion settings, but Natural Cinema didn't seem to do anything (playing an mkv on my PC connected to my receiver). I do have a blu-ray disc as well, I'm guessing the receiver would know it's 24p then, where as a video player via Windows signal still says 60z. Granted that's a home theater PC question.

But I'll keep tinkering, fun to look into the new thingy.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I'm tempted by the Hisense U7 75" for $900 at Best Buy right now. Use case would be a moderately bright living room, mostly streaming shows and video games. We're not huge movie buffs or the like, so I suspect really nice screens like LG C2 aren't worth it for us.

I don't fully understand the difference between the U7 and U8, but it doesn't seem like the upgrades are justifiable for our uses. Does that sound right?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

TCL 98-Inch Class S5 4K LED Smart TV with Google TV (98S550G, 2023 Model)

$2500 on amazon.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

incogneato posted:

I'm tempted by the Hisense U7 75" for $900 at Best Buy right now. Use case would be a moderately bright living room, mostly streaming shows and video games. We're not huge movie buffs or the like, so I suspect really nice screens like LG C2 aren't worth it for us.

I don't fully understand the difference between the U7 and U8, but it doesn't seem like the upgrades are justifiable for our uses. Does that sound right?

Hah, the 4kTV subreddit has an auto mod response urging people to not buy Hisense TVs, especially the U7, due to alleged quality control issues and concerns about rtings methods (?). Maybe I should consider a TCL QM8 or something? Just when I thought I'd narrowed it down.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

GreenNight posted:

TCL 98-Inch Class S5 4K LED Smart TV with Google TV (98S550G, 2023 Model)

$2500 on amazon.

Maybe as a kitchen TV, but I'm looking for something a little bigger for the living room.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Just get 4 so you can have each in a quadrant.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

incogneato posted:

The difference is peak brightness, and the number of mini-led dimming zones.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

One question for the TCL S4 series, in HDR, Dynamic Tone Mapping on or off? That wasn't included in the rtings settings page.

Googling it I see a few people say it's baloney etc, but not sure if it'll be helpful on my low brightness TV etc. Turning it off the PS5 menu which is HDR looks a little better, it had darker blacks a bit extra contrasty with it on. Will try both, but curious if there's any takes on that setting.

For example, just starting Alan Wake 2, the game says "if supported by your display, set your display's tone mapping to HGiG". As far as I can tell this TCL TV doesn't have HGiG, and was reading some posts about Dynamic Tone Mapping vs HGiG etc.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 21, 2023

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Any recommendations for a 55 or 65 inch tv to replace our old 40 inch Samsung POS? Viewing distance is around 10 feet. Living room use case: tv, movies, video games

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Delthalaz posted:

Any recommendations for a 55 or 65 inch tv to replace our old 40 inch Samsung POS? Viewing distance is around 10 feet. Living room use case: tv, movies, video games

What is your price range? The OLEDs from LG, Samsung, and Sony are all solid recommendations.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

qbert posted:

What is your price range? The OLEDs from LG, Samsung, and Sony are all solid recommendations.

Yeah I guess I was originally hoping for under $1,000. The $1300-$1600 I’m seeing for th LG C3 and Sony Bravia in that size is doable. Is OLED worth it?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Delthalaz posted:

Yeah I guess I was originally hoping for under $1,000. The $1300-$1600 I’m seeing for th LG C3 and Sony Bravia in that size is doable. Is OLED worth it?

Yes

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

OK.

What’s the right size for an 11 foot viewing distance? This is our only living room so I guess the concern is having a big tv dominate the room too much

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Delthalaz posted:

OK.

What’s the right size for an 11 foot viewing distance? This is our only living room so I guess the concern is having a big tv dominate the room too much

144 inches, but I go by the (personal) rule of viewing distance being the screen's size, plus one foot. :v:

Seriously though, anything 55" and up will be fine. The bigger the better, obv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I have decision paralysis looking at the two main OLED contenders in the market, the LG C3 and the Samsung S90C. I’ve ruled out Sony and the LG A/B models because I want 4x HDMI 2.1 inputs, and better high refresh rate performance for games, and the LG G series for price reasons. The ~15-1600 mark the C3/S90 are sitting at this weekend for a 65” is about my sweet spot.

A bit about my use case: it’s primarily going to be for console gaming and streaming tv/movies. I don’t have any significant collection of ultra HD content of my own, or a :filez: library or anything, and don’t anticipate suddenly acquiring one. I’ll be running a PS5, XBox Series S, Switch, and (probably) Apple TV 4K into 4 HDMI inputs most likely. Don’t really feel like using onboard smart stuff if I can help it. No cable TV service, but I have been thinking about getting a cheap antenna for OTA broadcasts for local news/sports/event television type stuff.

In terms of TV placement, it’s going to be a ~7-8 foot viewing distance, but with a lot of off angle viewing from a long/narrow room placement. The room doesn’t get much direct sunlight if any - the only significant windows are north facing (90 degrees from the tv) and an east facing window, shaded by a fire escape and blocked by curtains, pointed at the TV). So I have a fair amount of control over the ambient light, etc.

So, my overall understanding of the differences between these two that will actually matter is as follows; please correct me if I am wrong about any of this, or if I’ve missed something or am including some factor that Does Not Matter:

C3 pros: Dolby Vision support. Better upscaling for lower quality/older content and retrogame type stuff.

Samsung pros: looked a little brighter on showroom floors, but… idk how much of that is just settings/variance/etc. more importantly, ATSC 3.0 support, and 144hz VRR.

Am I missing anything between those two? How much does Dolby vision actually matter if I’m not watching Blu Ray movies specifically, and instead doing streaming stuff and games? How much does ATSC 3 matter for current or future OTA reception (I’m in NYC if that affects anything)?

I had hoped I could just chalk all the differences up as ultimately unimportant and let price decide for me, but the retailers of America have decided that I am not entitled to such an easy choice. So now, I need to figure out just how much I care about Dolby Vision Vs how much I care about ATSC3.

Should I care about either?