Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The Bible posted:

So are the judges just not aware Trump is stalling for time and hoping to drag this out until election time, during which, for some reason, this can't continue, or do they just not care that they are being played?

As a general rule of thumb, judges going out of their way to rush a case for political reasons is a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Gyges posted:

...all the judges are carefully following all procedures to ensure guilty verdicts stick through the appeals process.

I get this, except due to allowing him all this time to stall, we will reach the election period during which they almost certainly won't continue these cases because decorum.

Main Paineframe posted:

As a general rule of thumb, judges going out of their way to rush a case for political reasons is a bad thing.

Is there some legal reason they couldn't keep up with these cases during the election?

Edit: I guess it's also worth asking, can he actually pardon himself if he wins? Because if he can, allowing him to stall is far worse than risking an appeal. They would just be allowing him to get away with his crimes unchallenged.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 16, 2023

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Bible posted:

I get this, except due to allowing him all this time to stall, we will reach the election period during which they almost certainly won't continue these cases because decorum.

Is there some legal reason they couldn't keep up with these cases during the election?

The only one of the judges so far who might suspend their trial for the election is the one who's been in the tank for him from the start. Also, all the trials so far should be over by November anyway. Nobody gives a poo poo about maybe impacting a primary he's essentially already won.

The Bible posted:

Edit: I guess it's also worth asking, can he actually pardon himself if he wins? Because if he can, allowing him to stall is far worse than risking an appeal. They would just be allowing him to get away with his crimes unchallenged.

He can't pardon either the New York or Georgia cases, because those aren't Federal. As for his lengthy Federal indictments, no President has ever pardoned themselves before, so it would be headed for the Supreme Court to rule on whether he can or not.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Gyges posted:

The only one of the judges so far who might suspend their trial for the election is the one who's been in the tank for him from the start. Also, all the trials so far should be over by November anyway. Nobody gives a poo poo about maybe impacting a primary he's essentially already won.

If true, that's a relief, at least. From the news/this thread, it seems to be a foregone conclusion that if November arrives and we still have no verdict, all this legal machinery will automatically stop for some reason.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Gyges posted:

Why do you think all these trials will be done by November 2024? Even the judge in the GA case says she thinks it's going to last well into 2025.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

The Bible posted:

If true, that's a relief, at least. From the news/this thread, it seems to be a foregone conclusion that if November arrives and we still have no verdict, all this legal machinery will automatically stop for some reason.

There are some pretty decent arguments that a state can’t interfere with the federal government by convicting or imprisoning a sitting President, so they probably would stop if he took office. And presumably in that scenario Trump would not leave office willingly.

What would happen if a person were convicted, imprisoned, and THEN elected President I have no idea.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Bible posted:

No, what Trump is trying to do is to drag everything out as long as possible, and then drag out his appeals as long as possible. The trial will be long over, but exhausting the appeals process can take a while. As much as Trump would love the machinery to stop, his goal is just to delay actually implementing any punishments until he is elected God Emperor of the United States.

It's important to remember that he's a delusional idiot surrounded by delusional idiots. What their strategy is, and what is actually possible within the courts aren't necessarily in agreement. Legally he's pretty hosed, but his entire play is to turn it into a political fight that takes him to the White House where all the big strong men, straight out of Hollywood casting, come up with tears in their eyes and say, "We're so sorry, Sir. We were just all so jealous of how smart and handsome your are and how much bigger your hands are than ours."

He's not counting on winning a legal battle in the courtroom. He's trying to pull a Fascism, and that's tangential to his 91 counts of being the most innocent martyr you've ever seen.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Charliegrs posted:

Why do you think all these trials will be done by November 2024? Even the judge in the GA case says she thinks it's going to last well into 2025.

I thought the January date for Georgia was the start of the trial, so that one depends on when it starts. All his other cases are scheduled to start by May, and once they start going the trial themselves shouldn't take 5 or more months.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Gyges posted:

...once they start going the trial themselves shouldn't take 5 or more months.
Based on what?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Charliegrs posted:

What female judge is involved in Georgia? Do you mean the GA DA?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

The Bible posted:

Edit: I guess it's also worth asking, can he actually pardon himself if he wins?

I don't understand why this is a matter of practical concern to anyone. It might be an interesting theoretical question, but if he's elected, he will only appoint an AG who will conclude that he can, and nobody who disagrees will be in a position to do anything about it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

raminasi posted:

I don't understand why this is a matter of practical concern to anyone. It might be an interesting theoretical question, but if he's elected, he will only appoint an AG who will conclude that he can, and nobody who disagrees will be in a position to do anything about it.

I think you could make a pretty compelling case that the people who were aggrieved in the cases he's being charged for have standing to challenge a self-pardon.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

I think you could make a pretty compelling case that the people who were aggrieved in the cases he's being charged for have standing to challenge a self-pardon.

They can challenge it but the text is pretty clear about when a president can't use a pardon

quote:

The President ... shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of impeachment.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Nitrousoxide posted:

They could but but then that becomes a constitutional question (I think) at which point it dies to a 6-3 decision, which would maybe get followed by an impeachment that goes nowhere because of the thin house/senate margins.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I mean, okay? But I was responding to the post saying he'd appoint an AG who would refuse to press the matter and there'd be no one who could do anything about it. That's clearly wrong since citizens could challenge it.

And I'm really not sure that it would come down to a 6-3 decision.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

I think Chutkan’s case will be done by summer 2024. She will start within a month of the current date and the case won’t take that long with 1 defendant.

Unless SCOTUS decides to examine the immunity question (I don’t think they will, but lol) in which case then it won’t be done by the election.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

The Engoron gag order was lifted by an appellate judge.

https://apnews.com/article/trump-letitia-james-fraud-trial-gag-order-c25e51a094dbcdeffbf67589b1c07f37

quote:

Ruling at an emergency hearing Thursday, Friedman questioned Engoron’s authority to police Trump’s speech outside the courtroom — such as his frequent gripes about the case on social media and in comments to TV cameras in the courthouse hallway.

Friedman said that while it’s true that judges often issue gag orders, they’re mostly used in criminal cases where there’s a fear that comments about the case could influence the jury. Trump’s civil trial doesn’t have a jury.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean, okay? But I was responding to the post saying he'd appoint an AG who would refuse to press the matter and there'd be no one who could do anything about it. That's clearly wrong since citizens could challenge it.

I was taking "and nobody who disagrees is in a position to stop it" in a much broader sense than just limiting to the theoretical AG appointment.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Crows Turn Off posted:

Based on what?

Trials themselves rarely last that long. Average Federal trial is like a week. Even if Donny's big days are 10 times more bigly, that's less than half the time between his last start date and Election day. What makes a case so long is the components that happen before and after the trial.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

It wouldn't come down to a 6-3 decision because the SC wouldn't even need to take up the question, the limits on the pardon power are very clear and they don't include anything about 'except in cases involving the president". It's not a murky legal issue at all.

E: the legal remedy the Constitution provides for this obvious injustice is impeachment

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gyges posted:

Trials themselves rarely last that long. Average Federal trial is like a week. Even if Donny's big days are 10 times more bigly, that's less than half the time between his last start date and Election day. What makes a case so long is the components that happen before and after the trial.

This is by no means a normal case. His civil case is on track to take a monthbor soband i would expect his federal cases to take about a month each similarly. His Georgia case could take several months due to the large number of codefendants.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is by no means a normal case. His civil case is on track to take a monthbor soband i would expect his federal cases to take about a month each similarly. His Georgia case could take several months due to the large number of codefendants.

12 months is still plenty of time to contain 1 month + 1 month + 1 month + a few more months, even if they can't run concurrently.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Yeah, the Georgia case could take a while. I just thought it started in January. This is the rest of his trials' start dates though:
January 16, 2024 – Next Carroll Defamation
March 4, 2024 – DC Election Interference Case
March 25, 2024 – NY Criminal Documents Case
May 20, 2024 – Classified Documents Case

Cannon might be able to keep his May date from not happening until after November, but the rest of those are not going to have trials that last from March through November. Even if those dates get pushed back a couple months via stalling, you're still looking at multiple months of time before the election.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Apparently it's a temporary lift? I don't know, Engeron's order seemed pretty narrow to me, wasn't it just "You can't talk poo poo about my staff"? But then I'm no lawyer or judge so this could be a legally sound finding no matter how much I disagree or dislike it.

e; Assuming guilty verdicts how long would it take to get from the end of a trial to the sentencing?

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 17, 2023

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Papercut posted:

It wouldn't come down to a 6-3 decision because the SC wouldn't even need to take up the question, the limits on the pardon power are very clear and they don't include anything about 'except in cases involving the president". It's not a murky legal issue at all.

E: the legal remedy the Constitution provides for this obvious injustice is impeachment

This isn't remotely true. I've read a bunch of legal opinions on this and most seem to think no, but the only thing that all agree on is that it's extremely murky.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

SpelledBackwards posted:

The Engoron gag order was lifted by an appellate judge.
I wonder what it’ll take to get this decision changed. Will death threats against a clerk be enough? Bodily harm? Or will a member of a judge’s staff need to die first?

(I feel like only 1 in 3 chance it comes to anything past threats, which seem practically guaranteed)

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
They did next to nothing about the hundreds of instances of election workers getting death threats and harassment except for the two ladies who took it to court.
Mostly because the police are either Trump followers or laughably inept.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

His Georgia case could take several months due to the large number of codefendants.
It is worth pointing out that the last successful RICO trial of this scale in Georgia took eight months and was the longest criminal trial in state history. That case was about teachers/administrators cheating on standardized tests in public schools. This case involves a former president. It is not a case that will move quickly.

Edit: To be fair, the upside is that Fani Willis was the lead prosecutor on that trial.

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 17, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Technically, Trump could arrange to not be present for his criminal trial in Georgia.He has the right to waive his presence and the prosecution might consent to it.

Be real funny if he couldn't do any campaigning because he was on trial the whole time tho.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Jarmak posted:

This isn't remotely true. I've read a bunch of legal opinions on this and most seem to think no, but the only thing that all agree on is that it's extremely murky.

Yes. Many of the arguments against self pardon are based on the concept that “You can’t be the Judge in your own case” which was one of the problems with kings and corrupt judiciary and was a well understood and established theory that the founders absolutely would have expected to hold.

I seem to recall some analysis showing that there was some very prominent cases at the time in England based on this exact concept and it would have been how the founders understood the law.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1725308779049156870

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Shocking that Trump is working with Antifa Super Soldiers.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Murgos posted:

Yes. Many of the arguments against self pardon are based on the concept that “You can’t be the Judge in your own case” which was one of the problems with kings and corrupt judiciary and was a well understood and established theory that the founders absolutely would have expected to hold.

I seem to recall some analysis showing that there was some very prominent cases at the time in England based on this exact concept and it would have been how the founders understood the law.

The common three I see are this, structural arguments about various ways that it utterly breaks the constitution so it couldn't have been intended, and arguments that a pardon is definitionally something you give to someone else.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jarmak posted:

"Murky" isn't really what I'd call it; there's the clear text of the Constitution, and then there's a bunch of lawyers desperately for a reason why the clear text of the Constitution can't be all there is to it here.

I think there's a solid case to be made that the Founders didn't intend for self-pardoning to be a thing...but I also think it's pretty fair to say that they didn't think it was a serious possibility, because if a president was committed of serious crimes, surely Congress would immediately impeach him and take pardons off the table. It's murky because no one really thought about the possibility till 2021 rolled around.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
This made me vaguely remember something from the constitutional convention, which I found in volume 2 of the records (Sorry for the libertarian group link, it's the first result I found). Note this appears to be using a broader notion of "treason" than the final one, reflecting cases where the President is trying to overthrow the government.

quote:

Art: II. sect. 2. “he shall have power to grant reprieves and pardons for offences against the U. S. &c”

Mr Randolph moved to “except cases of treason”. The prerogative of pardon in these cases was too great a trust. The President may himself be guilty. The Traytors may be his own instruments.

Col: Mason supported the motion.

Mr Govr Morris had rather there should be no pardon for treason, than let the power devolve on the Legislature.

Mr Wilson. Pardon is necessary for cases of treason, and is best placed in the hands of the Executive. If he be himself a party to the guilt he can be impeached and prosecuted.

Mr. King thought it would be inconsistent with the Constitutional separation of the Executive & Legislative powers to let the prerogative be exercised by the latter — A Legislative body is utterly unfit for the purpose. They are governed too much by the passions of the moment. In Massachusetts, one assembly would have hung all the insurgents in that State: the next was equally disposed to pardon them all. He suggested the expedient of requiring the concurrence of the Senate in Acts of Pardon.

Mr. Madison admitted the force of objections to the Legislature, but the pardon of treasons was so peculiarly improper for the President that he should acquiesce in the transfer of it to the former, rather than leave it altogether in the hands of the latter. He would prefer to either an association of the Senate as a Council of advice, with the President.

Mr Randolph could not admit the Senate into a share of the Power. the great danger to liberty lay in a combination between the President & that body —

Col: Mason. The Senate has already too much power — There can be no danger of too much lenity in legislative pardons, as the Senate must con concur, & the President moreover can require ⅔ of both Houses

On the motion of Mr. Randolph

N. H. no— Mas. no— Ct. divd. N— J— no. Pa. no— Del. no. Md no— Va ay— N— C. no— S. C. no. Geo— ay. [Ayes — 2; noes — 8; divided — 1.]

In volume 3 there is similar record of discussion of the dangers of the pardon power, from antifederalist Luther Martin, in a couple of different subsequent documents where he discusses his various objections to the constitution:

quote:

As to the Vice President, the larger States have a manifest influence and will always have him of their choice. The power given to these persons over the Army, and Navy, is in truth formidable, but the power of Pardon is still more dangerous, as in all acts of Treason, the very offence on which the prosecution would possibly arise, would most likely be in favour of the Presidents own power. —

quote:

The power given to the President, of granting reprieves and pardons, was also thought extremely dangerous, and as such opposed. The President thereby has the power of pardoning those who are guilty of treason, as well as of other offences; it was said, that no treason was so likely to take place as that in which the President himself might be engaged, — the attempt to assume to himself powers not given by the constitution, and establish himself in regal authority; in which attempt a provision is made for him to secure from punishment the creatures of his ambition, the associates and abettors of his treasonable practices, by granting them pardons, should they be defeated in their attempts to subvert the Constitution.

Martin was basically fundamentally opposed to the Constitution as written, so these should probably be read as part of a broader effort to attack the final document from every possible angle, but it does suggest the problem was at least visible to those involved.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 17, 2023

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Haven't there been US governors that have pardoned themselves historically? That would seem to be the exact same principle that certainly state courts haven't had an issue with, so I'd think from a common law perspective in the US, it's got a tradition of being acceptable.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

MrNemo posted:

Haven't there been US governors that have pardoned themselves historically? That would seem to be the exact same principle that certainly state courts haven't had an issue with, so I'd think from a common law perspective in the US, it's got a tradition of being acceptable.

It's not really clear how it would make sense to analogize governors to the presidency; you're functionally dealing with wholly different bodies of law. A brief googling suggests there was basically one non-trump advocate for presidential self-pardon being cited in the press during his term, and he's not likely to weigh in this time- he performed a murder-suicide in 2018.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Nov 17, 2023

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

"Murky" isn't really what I'd call it; there's the clear text of the Constitution, and then there's a bunch of lawyers desperately for a reason why the clear text of the Constitution can't be all there is to it here.

Scalia is that you?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

quote:

Mr Randolph could not admit the Senate into a share of the Power. the great danger to liberty lay in a combination between the President & that body —

They didn't think this one out to it's logical conclusion. If the Senate has combined with the President to protect him as he engages in subversion of the constitution then not only is pardon too great a power but so is reliance on impeachment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
End of the day there's no constitutional order that can survive a complicit desire to overthrow that order shared among all those who control all branches of government. If the president desires to pardon himself and congress and the courts allow it and the people do not revolt, what were words on paper supposed to do?

All the founders had just spent like a decade literally firing cannon at people over this stuff.