Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Been a while since I posted here, and I just wanted to post an update and say:

Fuckin hell, I made the right decision. Buying this house is literally the best decision I have ever made in my life. Specifically buying [I]this[/] house. I can't believe I got a second chance, and by the gods am I glad I did. Not only has it been everything I ever dreamed up, it has been a bunch of things I hadn't even imagined I wanted.

Of course I am also out of money now and just sort of hoping nothing else goes wrong for a bit because I can't afford to fix it for a bit - my $20k repairs and emergencies buffer didn't last long - but even if I have to starve myself to afford to stay here it's worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Uthor posted:

Between my offer being accepted and closing on the house, I got a raise at work and had to spend like three days getting paperwork back and forth why I was earning more money than I said I was.
We had to scramble to provide satisfactory answers to our underwriter on two different huge issues close to our closing:

"Why did your insurance company spell your last name with an n instead of an m?"

"Why is your job work from home?"

We really struggled, but ultimately failed to come up with better answers than "... A typo?" and "... Because it is?"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Motronic posted:

It's is 100% technically possible. You can FSBO your house and refuse to pay buyer agents. So none of them will show it.

You will be putting up flyers and craigslis/fb market place ads to sell you home because it will not be on the MLS. This means you will not be likely to sell you house soon, or at a market price. Or even for cash at that point, because you're gonna whittle your buyer pool down to goldbugs and cryptocurrency people at best.

This is exactly what the lawsuit(s) are about. But this will not be fixed in the near term.

The last time that I sold a house we used an agent, but I learned that an attorney could also post stuff on MLS and that the going rate for that was $100. So YMMV when it comes to MLS access, I don't know how many areas have realtors completely gatekeeping the process vs not

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I mean, like it or not, the way buyer’s agents get paid is usually out of those fees. If your buyers are working with an agent, they probably don’t really want to either stiff their agent or pay an extra 2-3%. I walked away from a house once because the seller’s agent refused to talk to our agent because they didn’t want to split the fee.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

GlyphGryph. I'm happy to hear that! Congratulations!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Slugworth posted:

We had to scramble to provide satisfactory answers to our underwriter on two different huge issues close to our closing:

"Why did your insurance company spell your last name with an n instead of an m?"

"Why is your job work from home?"

We really struggled, but ultimately failed to come up with better answers than "... A typo?" and "... Because it is?"

Mine asked me to clarify why an inquiry for the loan I was applying for with them showed up on my credit report.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Sirotan posted:

Mine asked me to clarify why an inquiry for the loan I was applying for with them showed up on my credit report.

:allears:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sirotan posted:

Same. Literally had to write "This is the mortgage for which I am applying" right next to the name of their bank, for the amount that I was asking them to lend me.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Sirotan posted:

Lol cool

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I'm not in the market for a new house but I like to browse listings in my area. A house popped up nearby and I'm looking at the pictures thinking it's nicely updated and then I glanced at the address. It seemed familiar, so I looked at the exterior of the house again.

Oh no.

It's the house of a family of five that was murdered by the estranged father and then he killed himself.

Now on sale for $900,000.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

DTaeKim posted:

I'm not in the market for a new house but I like to browse listings in my area. A house popped up nearby and I'm looking at the pictures thinking it's nicely updated and then I glanced at the address. It seemed familiar, so I looked at the exterior of the house again.

Oh no.

It's the house of a family of five that was murdered by the estranged father and then he killed himself.

Now on sale for $900,000.

Sale, eh? I love sales!

What kind of discount off of MSRP is offered for something like that?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sirotan posted:

*taps thread title*

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Has anyone received an offer on their house from an institutional investor that wants to assume the existing loan by forming a trust with the current owner?

I got the most baffling unsolicited offer on my house (via the realtor I worked with in 2019). I am not even considering selling in the first place, so there's no risk of getting scammed here, but the whole thing just sounds so ridiculous that I am curious if anyone else has come across it.

They want to 'buy' my house by forming a trust with me & them as members, so that they can step in to the existing 30-year (non-assumable!) loan and give me an upfront payment equal to my current equity in the house. They would use the house as a rental, and they would make the mortgage payments. If they ever stopped making the mortgage payments, I can step in, or I can let the house go into foreclosure.

It was very elaborately spelled out. Probably intentionally complicated, so that I wouldn't notice they are buying 50% ownership of the house by paying me 35% of the value of the house. And getting themselves a nice bit of 30-year beneficial financing for free.

A friend in Texas just received a nearly identical offer on his house, which IS for sale, so I need to make sure he doesn't go for it either...

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
If you can convince someone to give you their 10 year old mortgage interest rate, given what rates are today, it's free money

Baddog
May 12, 2001

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

.....so that I wouldn't notice they are buying 50% ownership of the house by paying me 35% of the value of the house...

Ehh its not quite like this is it? They are getting the rights to the whole house (unless they stop paying) for your current equity, right?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

... And getting themselves a nice bit of 30-year beneficial financing for free.

This is worth a *lot* though. They aren't saying anything about giving premium for this? Scan the letter and post it up, this is interesting. I always kinda wondered if there was some way to get around a non-assumable mortgage.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It's called a "Subject to" purchase and is only worth entertaining if the property is a shitheap with minimal equity and you are in a dire financial situation. In that case, the buyer basically gets the benefit of the seller's rate while the seller gets the benefit of someone making the payments on time and keeping the house from falling down.

If you read investors' guides to the such purchases they are all focused on the risk that the seller goes into bankruptcy or runs up liens against the house. Also the most part lenders will call the loan due immediately if they find out that the transfer happened.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
We're planning on putting an offer on a house and debating the offer amount, do we go in low with expecting them to counter or do we go less low but have a lot less wiggle room for what we'd find acceptable as a counter..

The current price is pretty high and they have already reduced it in price twice. Even our lower offer is still way above the assessed value but that seems like more of a guideline.

I guess my main concern is giving a low offer and they just say f off and don't listen to following offers.. But that wouldn't be too bad, status quo is fine.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'd ignore an insulting offer but if they reduced it twice the baseline for a non insulting offer might be wide. If start low but maybe make sure to keep it at a place where you can make it with a straight face.

Most people will still listen to subsequent offers as long as your not just wasting time. The one with the money usually gets an audience.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah the big ace in the hole we have as well is we are planning on refinancing our existing place and keeping/renting so we won't be subject to sale which is pretty big going into december in a really slow market.

It feels like the market will go bananas in the late spring once rates start going a bit lower so would be nice to get a new purchase done now.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
"flexible on close" is a really good way to signal your not just loving around.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

priznat posted:

We're planning on putting an offer on a house and debating the offer amount, do we go in low with expecting them to counter or do we go less low but have a lot less wiggle room for what we'd find acceptable as a counter..

The current price is pretty high and they have already reduced it in price twice. Even our lower offer is still way above the assessed value but that seems like more of a guideline.

I guess my main concern is giving a low offer and they just say f off and don't listen to following offers.. But that wouldn't be too bad, status quo is fine.

What do you mean by assessed value? Redfin/zillow value or something else?

Because if the house has been appraised at way lower than your offer, you’ll need to cover that gap in cash.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Beef Of Ages posted:

The financial implications of that approach aside (because I am not a financial expert), from a logistics standpoint as long as you do it before starting the mortgage process and can document the moves you make, underwriting will eventually be ok with that even though it is likely to take several rounds of submitting the same paperwork to get there.

Edit: beaten.

I know I am going backwards here but what are you guys even on about. Underwriting deals with this all the time. Personally I got zero questions both times I sold stock ~2 weeks before close to fund my down payment.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

What do you mean by assessed value? Redfin/zillow value or something else?

Because if the house has been appraised at way lower than your offer, you’ll need to cover that gap in cash.

I assume he means tax assessment, which is usually (but not always) lower than appraisal or market.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah sorry tax assessment, I don’t think we have Zillow here (Canada). I should check.

My wife made the call to go with the low offer and I’m good with that, our realtor is going to feel it out a bit. I’m sure if they’re motivated they will counter or be open for us to revise the offer if they find it too low.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

spwrozek posted:

I know I am going backwards here but what are you guys even on about. Underwriting deals with this all the time. Personally I got zero questions both times I sold stock ~2 weeks before close to fund my down payment.

SlapActionJackson posted:

After I told them monthly statements didn't exist and that the 2 quarterly statements they already had == 6 months, they actually asked me to submit a document, from Vanguard, stating that no monthly statements are generated in idle months.

I did manage to talk them out of that one, fortunately.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I have a fuzzy recollection of Better freaking out when my Vanguard balance went down and my Wells Fargo balance went up. They really wanted to know what happened to my $80k in stocks and also where I got this $80k in cash from (sus!)

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Yeah, I closed an old savings account that had like $2k gathering dust in it while closing on a loan, and I had to provide proof that yes, the $2k that appeared in checking in July was the same $2k that had been in savings in June but was no longer there in July. That's when I found out that my bank didn't let you download statements from an account after they closed it, even if you're still a customer!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Great for you, but not the general experience of the thread or me personally. That's why it's being called out.

Also include them freaking out about things like vanguard old school mutual fund accounts only cutting statements quarterly. Which has been a thing since the 1970s.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Motronic posted:

Also include them freaking out about things like vanguard old school mutual fund accounts only cutting statements quarterly. Which has been a thing since the 1970s.

Vanguard has at least figured out how to ease their minds and will let you request a custom "on demand" statement for any date or time range you'd like, within the last two years. It does take up to 24 hours to process for some reason.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cassius Belli posted:

Vanguard has at least figured out how to ease their minds and will let you request a custom "on demand" statement for any date or time range you'd like, within the last two years. It does take up to 24 hours to process for some reason.

Oh lol I have never bothered asking. I just wrote a "response letter" telling the underwriters they were idiots. And then also explaining it was quarterly. Hasn't failed yet. But i only do this every few years so I understand there should be a more reliable method.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Bah it seems that the owners of that house are very sticky on their current price which we could do but would be a bit of a push. I don’t think it’s at that level so we’re going to hit pause. If it’s around in the new year maybe they’ll be more amenable.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Speaking of Better, I have never received so many phone calls/texts/emails as I did when I shopped refinancing around between Better, my current local bank, and a couple national lenders (my local bank won). Literally emails and phone calls daily from the same person who apparently spends their entire day chasing leads from the website.

They were very sad that I went with my local bank. The national lenders couldn't have cared less. But this was during the absolute bottom of rates a couple years ago.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

spwrozek posted:

I'm glad you didn't deal with a lot of horseshit, but *taps thread title* people do.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Has anyone received an offer on their house from an institutional investor that wants to assume the existing loan by forming a trust with the current owner?

I got the most baffling unsolicited offer on my house (via the realtor I worked with in 2019). I am not even considering selling in the first place, so there's no risk of getting scammed here, but the whole thing just sounds so ridiculous that I am curious if anyone else has come across it.

They want to 'buy' my house by forming a trust with me & them as members, so that they can step in to the existing 30-year (non-assumable!) loan and give me an upfront payment equal to my current equity in the house. They would use the house as a rental, and they would make the mortgage payments. If they ever stopped making the mortgage payments, I can step in, or I can let the house go into foreclosure.

It was very elaborately spelled out. Probably intentionally complicated, so that I wouldn't notice they are buying 50% ownership of the house by paying me 35% of the value of the house. And getting themselves a nice bit of 30-year beneficial financing for free.

A friend in Texas just received a nearly identical offer on his house, which IS for sale, so I need to make sure he doesn't go for it either...

Google "rent to own"

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

priznat posted:

Bah it seems that the owners of that house are very sticky on their current price which we could do but would be a bit of a push. I don’t think it’s at that level so we’re going to hit pause. If it’s around in the new year maybe they’ll be more amenable.

When we bought we went in at asking and ended up getting 10k in credit for repairs after inspection. It’s not a guarantee but there may be more incentive to try and close the deal and give a credit than to flat out deny a lower offer.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
What's the difference between offering a credit and just reducing the sales price? I guess it means the agents get more and there's a bigger transfer tax?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What's the difference between offering a credit and just reducing the sales price? I guess it means the agents get more and there's a bigger transfer tax?

And the credit back at closing is cash the buyer has in hand today, instead of just having a slightly lower mortgage.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

priznat posted:

Yeah sorry tax assessment, I don’t think we have Zillow here (Canada). I should check.

My wife made the call to go with the low offer and I’m good with that, our realtor is going to feel it out a bit. I’m sure if they’re motivated they will counter or be open for us to revise the offer if they find it too low.

Sounds nice not having to bid blind against five other buyers the day after the house goes on the market.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Sounds nice not having to bid blind against five other buyers the day after the house goes on the market.

Yeah I think it is a good time to buy now with rates probably going down by the summer it will heat back up and get crazy.

That said the market is still pretty nuts with the house we're interested in asking almost $3mil CAD (and it sounds like they're sticky on that, ah well). West coast problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It can make it easier for a buyer that is low on cash to purchase your house when you offer a credit.