Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well they're going to get a baseball team, but not until 2028. And by then who knows if there will be enough water to sustain LV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well they're going to get a baseball team, but not until 2028. And by then who knows if there will be enough water to sustain LV.

There probably will be. Vegas is incredibly water efficient

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

je1 healthcare posted:

Ads in prior decades used to be about the products themselves, commercials were more often just bullet point lists of the product's features and innovations.

What interests me is the collateral damage of advertising in general. Any (modern) ad which sells a product now sells it with another product, and that product is an identity. The products are less relevant than the priests of marketing directly telling you these objects are what women/men want. While marketing was once considered a window into society, it's now more their window into us. Or at least, the people who don't run adblockers. And so tumblr has data on who is a woman- which is less important to marketers than data on who's interested in being told what women want.

Identity-based marketing operates by creating a gap between viewer and an ideal self, creating an anxiety that can only be mitigated by the product. As people become more socially isolated and devote more of their time to traditional media and social media, the authority on identity shifts from people in our personal lives and onto that media. Even if people can 100% believe that they've broken free from society's arbitrary expectations, they will still seek out some other entity to define labels and say who is and isn't a real XYZ. Except those entities will do it to sell something. Or drive engagement. Society can be cruel to certain people, but what about an industry who's survival depends on you never reaching your ideal self? Youth suicide rates have skyrocketed over the past 15 years in a way that can't be tied to worsening living conditions, or declining access to mental health resources

This isn't new, it's literally what advertising has been for over a century. Large parts of what are seen as culture and tradition like pink for girls, blue for boys, and wedding rings, are literally inventions of marketing campaigns.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Look at old cigarette ads too. Those sold a lifestyle.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

je1 healthcare posted:

Ads in prior decades used to be about the products themselves, commercials were more often just bullet point lists of the product's features and innovations.

What interests me is the collateral damage of advertising in general. Any (modern) ad which sells a product now sells it with another product, and that product is an identity. The products are less relevant than the priests of marketing directly telling you these objects are what women/men want. While marketing was once considered a window into society, it's now more their window into us. Or at least, the people who don't run adblockers. And so tumblr has data on who is a woman- which is less important to marketers than data on who's interested in being told what women want.

Identity-based marketing operates by creating a gap between viewer and an ideal self, creating an anxiety that can only be mitigated by the product. As people become more socially isolated and devote more of their time to traditional media and social media, the authority on identity shifts from people in our personal lives and onto that media. Even if people can 100% believe that they've broken free from society's arbitrary expectations, they will still seek out some other entity to define labels and say who is and isn't a real XYZ. Except those entities will do it to sell something. Or drive engagement. Society can be cruel to certain people, but what about an industry who's survival depends on you never reaching your ideal self? Youth suicide rates have skyrocketed over the past 15 years in a way that can't be tied to worsening living conditions, or declining access to mental health resources

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I legitimately want Grape-Nuts now.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Not the same. That Grape Nuts ad is still focused on the putative effects of the product on a man rather than making a primal, emotional association between Grape Nuts and being a man. It is selling and commodifying an enhancement to a particular manly attribute that is supposedly bestowed by cereal, not manhood itself. The man exists before Grape Nuts, the man does not exist before the gun in the infamous "man card" assault rifle ad. You use the old timey cereal, you are the school shooting implement. Modern advertising steals your very being as primitive accumulation and then makes you rent it from them.

E: with manhood specifically I think gendered advertising is one of the principal drivers of manosphere ideology, toxic masculinity, and the crisis of men and boys. The idea that one could be a man as a simple fact has become impossible, manhood is an alienated commodity that must be leased from brands. Male youth yearn for some figure like :qqpeters: to tell them how to man because they can't just be one in a society where manhood is a scarce and expensive commodity that can't even be bought entire but must be paid for in continual installments forever.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 07:30 on Nov 17, 2023

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
see also: old Video game adds.

wankel13b
Jan 23, 2005

quak

Zugzwang posted:

I legitimately want Grape-Nuts now.

Holy catfish, me too. I am absolutely going to go buy some.

Marketing talk, if you haven't seen the documentary Century of the Self, it's pretty great.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ3RzGoQC4s&pp=ygUTY2VudHVyeSBvZiB0aGUgc2VsZg%3D%3D

And as a horrible attempt to keep this even slightly topical, I am disappointed that there aren't MORE companies circling the drain. So many of them deserve to die off.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Woolie Wool posted:

Not the same. That Grape Nuts ad is still focused on the putative effects of the product on a man rather than making a primal, emotional association between Grape Nuts and being a man. It is selling and commodifying an enhancement to a particular manly attribute that is supposedly bestowed by cereal, not manhood itself. The man exists before Grape Nuts, the man does not exist before the gun in the infamous "man card" assault rifle ad. You use the old timey cereal, you are the school shooting implement. Modern advertising steals your very being as primitive accumulation and then makes you rent it from them.

How do you figure? To me that grape nuts ad is pretty clearly doing what you were talking about before: creating a gap between the viewer and the ideal self and then creating an anxiety to be mitigated by the product. In this case: An ideal man is active, progressive, successful, and he has steady nerves and a keen, clear brain. Does this describe you, man reading this? Not sure? You should buy some Grape Nuts.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

buy bonestorm or go to hell

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Modern advertisements manipulate the viewer by creating a vision of the ideal self and then creating anxiety in the viewer about the gap between themselves and the newly constructed ideal self which then makes them want to do something they would not have wanted to do before. For example, an advertisement may create a vision of an ideal version of the viewer who is not John Romero's bitch in order to make them more likely to suck it down.

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021

Anora posted:

see also: old Video game adds.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The whole boomer idea of America makes so much sense figuring it was constructed literally out of advertising campaigns. The nuclear family in the suburban home, white weddings with rings and dresses, Christmas with the big fancy tree and piles of presents, Happy Days and all that poo poo.

You can probably see the same thing going on back with the goddamn Victorians, where there's an extremely firm idea of what an 'ideal' man, woman and child look like and often brutal societal enforcement to conform to it, advertising both taking advantage of and perpetuating it to emphasise that identity must be maintained through continual purchases of the correct products. The right clothes, the right food, the right drugs, the right hobbies and interests.

If anything it's fallen apart a lot nowadays in the social media age as identities and interests have scattered, come to light and diversified too much for marketing brains to keep up with, and nowadays you end up with corporations practically throwing tantrums when people want products they don't want to make.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
where'd that guy get a grandson to bequeath poo poo to when he's never made a friend or kissed a girl because he was too busy gaming? plot holes in the advertising for shame

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

InediblePenguin posted:

where'd that guy get a grandson to bequeath poo poo to when he's never made a friend or kissed a girl because he was too busy gaming? plot holes in the advertising for shame

He happened to like hookers, okay?

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

InediblePenguin posted:

*remembering that one Rip Van Winkle cartoon where he wakes up and has a kid* life, uh, life finds a way

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
He probably just released the nut before he fell into that time hole.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

When you Grape Nut but she still givin you (keen, clear) brain

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Baller Ina posted:

*remembering that one Rip Van Winkle cartoon where he wakes up and has a kid* life, uh, life finds a way

The IDF collected his sperm.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

je1 healthcare posted:

https://ranprojects.net/tell/anti-brand-remover-installer-a-third-of-a-century-old/

doctorfrog has a new favorite as of 18:42 on Nov 20, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Advertisers tend to selfmythologize about how influential they are. The classic myth being 'coke ads invented modern santa' which is blatantly false but is an effective piece of metaadvertising.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This isn't new, it's literally what advertising has been for over a century. Large parts of what are seen as culture and tradition like pink for girls, blue for boys, and wedding rings, are literally inventions of marketing campaigns.

Yes, but it was previously exclusive to fashion and beauty products, or things which have no tangible features that can be conveyed in advertising. Gender roles existed for millenia, but when feminism took off in the west the fashion/beauty industry pivoted real hard to marketing those things as something women bought for themselves as opposed to winning the approval of men or society

Woolie Wool posted:

E: with manhood specifically I think gendered advertising is one of the principal drivers of manosphere ideology, toxic masculinity, and the crisis of men and boys. The idea that one could be a man as a simple fact has become impossible, manhood is an alienated commodity that must be leased from brands. Male youth yearn for some figure like :qqpeters: to tell them how to man because they can't just be one in a society where manhood is a scarce and expensive commodity that can't even be bought entire but must be paid for in continual installments forever.

Toxic masculinity, or male chauvanism, or whatever you want to call it has also been around for all of civilization. The audience for that manosphere stuff isn't even looking for advice, just confirmation of the things they want to believe. The audience wants to believe that society is cockblocking them, that the reason they can't get laid every night or be a selfish wonderful jerk is because of HR complaints and the PC gestapo that stipulates that cis men should act passive, docile, empathetic, and apologetic. That they must act like.....women.

Meanwhile, they see women/minorities/LBGTQ folk acting openly sexual, charismatic, proud, self-centered or violent in the media and are told by the manosphere that this is a privilege for anyone besides white straight men

(Note- this is obviously not reality, but it's still their perception)

To be clear, marketers sell more identities than just gender roles, but that's the most obvious example of it.

Sometimes they sell anti-identities! As if a product can define who you are not. If old people, squares, liberals, or bigots are offended by this product then it must be doing something right, spending your money has the added value of offending people you already hate

je1 healthcare has a new favorite as of 14:26 on Nov 21, 2023

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

But what if I don't want to spend any money for emotional reasons or for unending satisfaction of appetite?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Xlorp posted:

But what if I don't want to spend any money for emotional reasons or for unending satisfaction of appetite?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjw_DuNkOUw

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Xlorp posted:

You go directly to jail.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://x.com/agoldmund/status/1732033791273635950?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

Spotify is cancelling a lot of podcasts, while larger celebrity ones didn’t pan out as expected.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

bobjr posted:

https://x.com/agoldmund/status/1732033791273635950?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

Spotify is cancelling a lot of podcasts, while larger celebrity ones didn’t pan out as expected.

Shock, gasp. You mean the app that I use specifically to stream music wasn't embraced by people looking for podcasts, a form of media similar only in that it's audio focused?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

MarcusSA posted:

There probably will be. Vegas is incredibly water efficient

70% of water in places with water crises like arizona and california goes to agriculture. If you just don't grow food its v easy to have enough water

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I always found Spotify's app to be a crappy podcast player that didn't sync well between devices, and none of the shows I listen to are exclusive to them, so :shrug:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

70% of water in places with water crises like arizona and california goes to agriculture. If you just don't grow food its v easy to have enough water

You don't understand scale

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

The celebrity podcast deals always smelled funny. Not sure if the money was guaranteed or if they had to produce X amount of product, but it never seemed to make business sense. Maybe Spotify thought buying up rights to a bunch of high profile people kept competitors from getting exclusives, but I'm not sure if there are competitors for a Prince Harry podcast.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I stopped listening to podcasts once they went to Spotify. Not that I didn't like the podcasts, and not that I don't like Spotify, I just don't use that app for podcasts and it's kind of a hassle to use it for the two podcasts that aren't on the other app where all other podcasts are.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Or watering golf courses in the loving desert

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Coasterphreak posted:

Or watering golf courses in the loving desert

Eh it’s not that big of a deal really.

Vegas recycles a gently caress load of water.

https://youtu.be/4U1TkIdDbRA?si=8JNZiUTIzfAaKV70

If anyone really cares that video goes into a lot of detail about how Vegas actually does things. It’s incredibly interesting.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Unless these golf courses exist inside Biosphere II or equivalent, they are not recycling water.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

A lot easier if you don't try to grow loving rice and almonds in the desert.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot easier if you don't try to grow loving rice and almonds in the desert.

SMH rice and almonds and grown in semi‐arid grasslands.

The desert is for growing cotton.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

See Benin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Yeah if it comes down to it Arizona will tell the cotton and sorghum farmers to pound sand before just disbanding Phoenix.