Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
My purchase has been stuck on pending for a while now. They already took the money out of my bank account. Sent in a ticket already but this whole thing has been a clusterfuck for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Shard posted:

Finally got one. Got the limited edition one and the docking station. Gonna give it to my son for his birthday.

Gamecube emulation is a good time for docked. A plethora of both multiplayer and single player games that run great and look good blown up. Played through Paper Mario TTYD that way.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Shard posted:

What is emudeck?

EmuDeck is an installer which will install a large number of emulators on your Steam Deck and do a bunch of configuration work so they're ready to use with minimal hassle. It is very popular.

(You likely know already, but in case not: In this context, emulators are programs which let you run games originally intended for a console on your PC. For example, Super Nintendo emulators let you run Super Nintendo games.)

If you want to emulate classic games (and even some consoles which aren't old, such as the Nintendo Switch) on Steam Deck, EmuDeck makes it very easy. The installation process is basically:

1) Boot your Steam Deck into Desktop mode
2) Download the EmuDeck installer (https://www.emudeck.com/)
3) Run the installer
4) Place the ROMs (copies of the games you want to play) into the correct folders
5) Place copies of some consoles' BIOSes into the correct folders (not all consoles require a BIOS, only some do)
6) You're ready to start playing

EmuDeck is awesome. It's by far the easiest way to get started with retro game emulation, and I say that as someone who has had an interest in it for decades.

Note that EmuDeck includes the emulators, but does not include games (except for a very small number of free homebrew games). You'll have to find game files and BIOS files elsewhere.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 16, 2023

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Time to hit our next big discussion item: What's the best way to migrate to a new Steam Deck?

Redownloading Steam games is trivial, specifically I am thinking about moving my EmuDeck setup.
https://www.emudeck.com/ has a new export and importer tool for EXACTLY THIS so do that instead of whatever the ideas were imo.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I know I probably should have upgraded to the 1 TB model but with the 512 GB model plus a big Mini SD card I had no big issues with space and I do not feel the need to scale up.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

minusX posted:

https://www.emudeck.com/ has a new export and importer tool for EXACTLY THIS so do that instead of whatever the ideas were imo.

I just saw that. I wonder if it's still appropriate to use if I have a colossal amount of ROMs (multiple hundreds of gigabytes). I assume so, I doubt it's trying to place all the ROMs in a single archive file or something silly.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

To my fellow holdouts I'm sorry

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 16, 2023

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
More battery tests are hitting today. Looks like a majority of emulated retro consoles comfortably hit 10 hours of battery life. Maybe I can finally retire the power bank that's practically married to my LCD Deck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BekKWLXqjnA

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah the increased battery life while decreasing the weight is absolutely legit.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Got the glossy 512, stoked! Hopefully it ships in 3-5 days before I have to go away for the Holidays.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

JackDarko posted:

Got the glossy 512, stoked! Hopefully it ships in 3-5 days before I have to go away for the Holidays.

Ditto!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Unlucky7 posted:

I know I probably should have upgraded to the 1 TB model but with the 512 GB model plus a big Mini SD card I had no big issues with space and I do not feel the need to scale up.

Eh, same. I realized I’d rather just keep a few games on it at a time than have to update a ton of stuff I’m not playing every other time I turn it on.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Mr. Crow posted:

And/or they have some extra bot/scalper detection logic in the shop flow that they normally dont and some part of that choked.

My guess is the same as yours since the failures were happening in a new transaction creation step added pre-payment details. A new stage before you could even talk about payment methods. What else could they have been doing in that stage that bottlenecked and caused large scale failures? I doubt it was lookup of your on-file payment options that are already part of the usual single step checkout process.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

minusX posted:

This is much better than my idea, yes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I just saw that. I wonder if it's still appropriate to use if I have a colossal amount of ROMs (multiple hundreds of gigabytes). I assume so, I doubt it's trying to place all the ROMs in a single archive file or something silly.

IIRC someone in the EmuDeck discord had ~4TB, so that’s probably fine.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

JackDarko posted:

Got the glossy 512, stoked!

Same.

25 minutes of not getting the LE before it was "Sold Out" (but not really) made me realize that getting a 512 OLED and not spending the extra $200 was what I actually wanted

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The new screen and Wifi6 are gonna make Moonshine streaming so sick. Can’t wait to see how Alan Wake 2 and Cp2077 look path traced on that screen.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah the urgency of my 6E infrastructure upgrade has increased dramatically.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

6Ghz WiFi is extremely short range so don’t get too excited for 6E working across the house or something.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Across what house?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tiny Timbs posted:

6Ghz WiFi is extremely short range so don’t get too excited for 6E working across the house or something.

I currently have APs on each floor and will be adding one in the back yard, so I’m hopeful that it’ll be OK. Can add APs in my bedroom and next to the sofa if it comes to that!

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
is the WiFi 7 standard just going to be the range of modern Qi chargers or something? i understand the relationship between throughput and frequency but man if i've gotta start getting an AP per room or some nonsense i may as well just be wired

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I had a meeting while the decks went on sale so I did an admirable job of multitasking between the meeting and spamming the “submit shipping information”button. Tried and failed to get an LE so I gave up and went for a 512 OLED instead. I didn’t realize they would get restocked, a little disappointed about that but c’est la vite. Excited that they’re going to arrive so soon though! I was expecting us to have to wait until next year again.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Subjunctive posted:

This is much better than my idea, yes.
Hey having ideas and helping is still better than not, so good on you for giving options! Plus it still might be faster depending on how the process goes etc. Just gonna do the easy way though.

harrygomm posted:

is the WiFi 7 standard just going to be the range of modern Qi chargers or something? i understand the relationship between throughput and frequency but man if i've gotta start getting an AP per room or some nonsense i may as well just be wired
Yeah but you can do an AP per room without drilling so it's kinda fine for a lot of rental stuff etc.

Wild to think the LE is still in stock ~6 hours after, this is hurting my "Save up you don't need it for now and you don't really like the Smokey look with the Orange (not red why do people keep saying that) colorings" outlook. FOMO of a cool unique* thing.

*Everyone has this version and it's harder to tell yours apart.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

minusX posted:

Wild to think the LE is still in stock ~6 hours after,

Wait what?

Oh poo poo! Snagged one!

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
One thing I'm also excited about is that I just upgraded my router from the basic 2.4/5ghz options to wifi6e. Looking forward to trying streaming games on the OLED Deck all throughout the house.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Now I'm just f5ing when it will ship. I sold my LCD deck yesterday and already miss it.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Vlaphor posted:

One thing I'm also excited about is that I just upgraded my router from the basic 2.4/5ghz options to wifi6e. Looking forward to trying streaming games on the OLED Deck all throughout the house.

The old Deck already works great for streaming at 5Ghz. I played CP2077 through Moonlight and it looked great and the latency was almost imperceptible. With Wifi6 and OLED HDR it really will feel like the game is being rendered by the Deck.

It’s funny that new dumb PlayStation streaming device is only 2.4/5ghz and it has more latency than streaming to an iPhone 15

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

XenoCrab posted:

Same.

25 minutes of not getting the LE before it was "Sold Out" (but not really) made me realize that getting a 512 OLED and not spending the extra $200 was what I actually wanted

Also the glossy screen generally looks better in any situation where glare isn't a concern (which depends heavily on how someone is using it). I considered the LE and decided against it specifically because I want the glossy screen - even if they were the same price I would still get the one with the glossy screen.

Animal posted:

The old Deck already works great for streaming at 5Ghz. I played CP2077 through Moonlight and it looked great and the latency was almost imperceptible. With Wifi6 and OLED HDR it really will feel like the game is being rendered by the Deck.

It’s funny that new dumb PlayStation streaming device is only 2.4/5ghz and it has more latency than streaming to an iPhone 15

Running stuff through Moonlight was also indistinguishable from running it locally when I tried it, and is generally how I run anything that isn't easy to run locally.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
SteamOS 3.5.5 has been released to Stable channel.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1675200/announcements/detail/5484882897552407489

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I think there was a bug in the Linux kernel that was causing stuttering when run in the deck’s APU, which is why we have the ‘Run one thread per core’ mode in Decky.

3.5 is a pretty big update

E: All the games get updates. To be expected but yeesh.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 17, 2023

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

3.5 will let you swap SSDs to the OLED version, no wifi issues. The changelog above says it has full OLED model support, video below shows it working after a swap at around 21:30.

https://youtu.be/JOjy2eH9BHE

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I am excited to see Guardians of the Galaxy on this thing because gently caress that game is pretty and vibrant as-is.

And Cyberpunk over moonlight, holy poo poo

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I really hope HDR works over Moonlight

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Installed SteamOS 3.5.5 and it blew out my steam partition and only left my windows partition, lol. Might as well reformat this thing anyway since I ordered the 1tb and won't be swapping the SSD.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Cutedge posted:

Installed SteamOS 3.5.5 and it blew out my steam partition and only left my windows partition, lol. Might as well reformat this thing anyway since I ordered the 1tb and won't be swapping the SSD.

I've had this happen a few times before, and could always fix it by holding Volume Up+Power when turning the Steam Deck on and choosing the Boot From File option. SteamOS should repair itself if you run the file in the EFI folder.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Yeah it will work great. Pay attention during the installation though, there is a step where it can add the ROMs to your local Steam library complete with artwork. You maybe don't want that for thousands of ROMs.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If you do that it also automatically creates collections per-system in the steam UI anyway though so unless you like to just browse your whole entire steam library as one giant list it’s not the worst thing in the world

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Has anyone who encountered any problems just after launch yesterday still got any ongoing issues?

The first 20-30 minutes was a total shitshow but it seems like everything after that has been pretty smooth? Sounds like US folk were still able to grab LE's hours later, and in the UK even if you place an order now you're only looking at 6-10 days for delivery.

Did Valve do a good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
After updating to 3.5.5 and undervolting to -40 mV using the new BIOS options, my deck runs noticeably cooler and quieter. Not that it was very loud to begin with.