Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s crazy that US politicians legitimately seem to be brain damaged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

is it?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/RealPepeEscobar/status/1725106925170233847

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Elias_Maluco posted:

https://twitter.com/RealPepeEscobar/status/1725106925170233847
no.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

:whitewater:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

euphronius posted:

hmm maybe our system is actually better at representing our people than i thought

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

President Xi, my people yearn for paycheck. Soros isn't paying up

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

mistakes into miracles

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

euphronius posted:

The media too:

How China strong-armed its way into dominating the South China Sea.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

how would that look like for Vietnam or the Philippines? it's so stupid: if a country considers waters to be its own, it's going to send its ships there

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

are these actual military ships or am i supposed to care that the world's largest producing country with a massive merchant marine sails commercial shipping through its own waters

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Raskolnikov38 posted:

are these actual military ships or am i supposed to care that the world's largest producing country with a massive merchant marine sails commercial shipping through its own waters

nyt calls them "militarized fishing boats"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

err posted:

nyt calls them "militarized fishing boats"

"maritime militia" is another cool Orwellian phrase

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Homeless Friend posted:

listen fat, hes the dictator, you know. c'mon man, of the proteltariat

I know he’s trying to be politic while being a lib but I prefer to take it as an admission that “dictator” is just a label for any non-liberal non-first world leader

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I saw that on the nyt and just kind of rolled my eyes

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

dont trust the americans they are lying dogs and will gently caress you over out of spite

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

gradenko_2000 posted:

"maritime militia" is another cool Orwellian phrase

You know it's true because it alliterates.

All alliteration always accurate.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I dont understand why people think any of this is an indication of China "trusting the US". Chinas going to continue building its military and seeking to decouple from western suppliers as long as the US continues to try and contain China. Theres an alternate zero sum path there, but its up to the US to shoe its interested

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I dont understand why people think any of this is an indication of China "trusting the US". Chinas going to continue building its military and seeking to decouple from western suppliers as long as the US continues to try and contain China. Theres an alternate zero sum path there, but its up to the US to shoe its interested

PTSD from the unbelievable naivete of the CCCP

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it doesn't really matter.

China's agenda is to continue developing its productive capacity, as well as expanding its military fleet so it can effectively dissuade the USA and its allies from causing a military conflict.

Every day China's capacity grows stronger and the USA military decays further into grift and the rust sets deeper into the warmachine. So a period of detente, even if from a malicious motivation, is in China's favour, as it buys more time for it to develop.
The gamble is if there will ever be a point where the USA realizes and accepts it's become the weak partner in the power dynamic - without a bloody world war. We'll have to wait and see on that one

Now if the USA immediately returns to re-escalating Taiwan/the Philippines/etc then this meet'n greet will have been a tremendous waste of effort - but that's about the end of its costs. If however it means the american warmachine is delayed by 2 years because of a temporary rapprochement, then that has won so many more destroyers, factories and tanks.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

😳

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

mila kunis posted:

dont trust the americans they are lying dogs and will gently caress you over out of spite

china is finally big enough not to be hosed over by uncle sam.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

china owns

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

that’s the reporter that’s always on geopolitical economy report

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/brainsturbator/status/1724968436063682944

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

I read the Chinese read out again, IMO Xi is not talking to the US, he is taking the one of the biggest stages to talk to the Global South and ASEAN again.

There is no point in talking to the US political elites with words at this point. There is nothing Beijing can say to make Washington change their minds. However you can talk to the business and create relationships with them. And the American business are much better at lobbying anyhow.

CGTN posted:

Chinese President Xi Jinping met with U.S. President Joe Biden at the Filoli estate in San Francisco on Wednesday.

The China-U.S. relationship, which is the most important bilateral relationship in the world, should be perceived and envisioned in the broad context of the accelerating global transformations unseen in a century. It should develop in a way that benefits our two peoples and fulfills our responsibility for human progress, Xi noted.

Xi said the China-U.S. relationship has never been smooth sailing over the past 50-plus years, and that it always faces problems of one kind or another. Yet, it has kept moving forward amid twists and turns. For two large countries like China and the United States, turning their back on each other is not an option. It is unrealistic for one side to remodel the other, and conflict and confrontation have unbearable consequences for both sides.

He also underscored his consistent view that major-country competition is not the prevailing trend of current times and cannot solve the problems facing China and the United States or the world at large. Planet Earth is big enough for the two countries to succeed, and one country's success is an opportunity for the other.

See these talking points are pretty new, probably all post covid. And the phrase "earth is big enough fot 2 countries" is evolution of the phrase "the pacific is big enough for two countries." That's China's subtle way of stating the new reality of the dual superpower landscape and the emerging multipolar world.

quote:

It is an objective fact that China and the United States are different in history, culture, social system and development path. However, as long as they respect each other, coexist in peace and pursue win-win cooperation, they will be fully capable of rising above differences and find the right way for the two major countries to get along with each other, Xi said, expressing his firm belief in a promising future of the bilateral relationship.

This is also Xi talking to the Global South that China is not interested in color revolution and only interested in doing business with the fense-sitter countries.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Blinky visually girded himself when the question was asked and immediately winced when biden answered
https://twitter.com/KimDotcom/status/1725270496294666707

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Blinken is just like BRO STOP

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's obvious enough to China as it is to us where the real power over the US lies.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1725281372854428076

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

lmao

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

xi is all :chloe:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's like he's trying to cosplay Nwabudike Morgan

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

remember when zuck offered him the naming of his own kid lmao
i can only imagine xi whispering to his security people "get me the gently caress out of here" when mr roboto proposed that

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

lol god drat

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lol the camera and lighting makes him look like he's aging in real time.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

slave to my cravings posted:

what’s the deal with ai weiwei

ai weiwei? more like ai weewee

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar

Did this person have to specify "big bazongas" in the prompt or does ai just do that on its own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lmao this is some powerful trolling

https://twitter.com/chimpsoldier/status/1725035440317829564?t=4PHu6SDKP1Bq0vtMuWoJ0g&s=19