Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The preorder stuff goes up this weekend so I imagine a lot of the 'influencers' have an early copy. Probably start to see initial takes and battle reports etc soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

SPACE MARINE was my first Games Workshop game and god help me I want some tiny marines to paint.

I'll never play, but the idea of having a World Eaters force backed up with Legio Audax Warhounds is pretty :black101:

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Deptfordx posted:

The preorder stuff goes up this weekend so I imagine a lot of the 'influencers' have an early copy. Probably start to see initial takes and battle reports etc soon.

Definitely. I ordered the Stormvault case or whatever and got it a week early (by accident) and then a week after that I got an email saying my case was in store from the main site. A few others who I play with have been getting stuff """early""" since they started the two week period, including a friend who got his Fusiliers(gun guys AOS) "early" by about four days before he was supposed to so I wonder how much switching to two week preorder periods was an overestimate to prepare for the christmas rush or(?)

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Randalor posted:

... how many 8mm guys and tanks can I print from a $30 bottle of resin?

So I was a touch bored this morning and I tossed together a plate of nothing but Rhino's since....you know....they're going to be 50 bucks for maybe 8 of them?

I use Eco Resin, dialed in my printers by just doing the cones of calibration and watching a whopping 2 youtube videos and the results are:
1 hour 7 minutes print time
85.77 ml used
$2.14 worth of material

gives 34 Rhino's. 34 Epic scale Rhino's for $2 dollars and change. I can change these to all Leman Russ's or whatever and still get them printed for around the same price. There's around 1000 ML to 1kg of Resin and I used a whopping 86ml.
So to answer your question....all of them. One bottle and you can print....all of them.

Even if you assume 100ml per plate, which is INCREDIBLY unlikely due to the scale you'd be printing, that's 10 plates off of one bottle completely packed to the gills with whatever you want. Dreads, Titans, Tanks, Marines, whatever.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
https://www.warhammer-community.com...=hhthur16/11/23

I’ll say this. They are going to have most of the range of models for Marines and Solar Auxillia out in the first couple of months.

If the line gutters out, at least it will be mostly complete for people to get. Hopefully it does well enough for a Great Crusade expansion with Xenos to mosey along.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

And if you learn Blender, you don’t even have to download any :filez:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Siivola posted:

At which point after hand sculpting and printing your own line of 8mm miniatures for "free" (3D printers always forget opportunity costs) you find that you don't have enough time to paint or play with them. Good if you're time rich and cash poor but if your hobby time is an hour a day you'd better be sure you enjoy sculpting and printing rather than just doing it to get "cheap" miniatures.

Just buy Vanguard Minis or get someone else to do the printing for you.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Only thing that 3d printing got me is growing pile of unpainted terrain.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The space and time requirements of 3d printing heavily outweights the financial cost in my mind.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Siivola posted:

Learning Blender isn't a separate hobby, learning Blender is a separate career :hmmyes:

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I'm very tempted by little space mans, but really wish this was 40k themed. I want Votann land trains or Tyranid bio-titans, everything being the same type of stuff that's in 30k already but smaller is much less appealing.

Re: 3D printing, I don't think it's as big of an investment of time or money as people make it. You can do it that way, but you don't have to. I don't use mine for army printing though, mostly when I need like 5 French WW1 infantry to play The Last War or models to fill out a Frostgrave warband & it's a pretty amazing appliance for that.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Nancy posted:

I'm very tempted by little space mans, but really wish this was 40k themed. I want Votann land trains or Tyranid bio-titans, everything being the same type of stuff that's in 30k already but smaller is much less appealing.

Re: 3D printing, I don't think it's as big of an investment of time or money as people make it. You can do it that way, but you don't have to. I don't use mine for army printing though, mostly when I need like 5 French WW1 infantry to play The Last War or models to fill out a Frostgrave warband & it's a pretty amazing appliance for that.

As somebody who generally hates Space Marines of any flavor and is indifferent to Imp Guard, I very much agree. I want tiny space bug swarms and bio titans, or crazy ork vehicles.

3D printing is great if you know somebody who can make designs and takes requests. Lets you produce some really unique stuff without too much work. And it's great for producing bitz to attach to other models. But I wouldn't dare try doing an entire army that way.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

chin up everything sucks posted:

3D printing is great if you know somebody who can make designs and takes requests. Lets you produce some really unique stuff without too much work. And it's great for producing bitz to attach to other models. But I wouldn't dare try doing an entire army that way.

Depending on your subject you might be able to get away with meshmixer. It's easier to use than the other 3d sculpting tools though it can make models with weird geometry that your printer hates. Just grab stls of stuff you like, chop them up and kitbash them together.

I can't 3d sculpt for poo poo but have made quite a few custom battlemechs in meshmixer which have printed out very nicely (my printer had a few rude words about one of my designs though)

It doesn't work if you want organic minis though so no tittymechs.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Mantic is going to have both its lunch and dinner eaten on this one. Awful timing on their upcoming Kickstarter.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Yeah I like Kings of War and Armada but nobody wants their sci-fi offerings. They might have strong core mechanics but aesthetically there's less than nothing. At least with KoW you can pick your minis of choice and still play the game.

On the other hand if getting an army of LI is $300+ then Mantic will at least fail on its own merits instead of being overwhelmed by GW marketing.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I have a feeling that the Solar Auxilia half of the Imperialis box will be fairly easy to get, I think most people will be after the Marines.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
As an idiot, what's the difference between "Epic" and this new Legions Imperialis thing? Is it a re-brand? A new, but similar game - maybe in 30k instead of 40k?

\/\/ ooh, thank you!

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 16, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Snipe and Wib actually did a pretty good video on what "Epic" means in the context of Warhammer 40k.

As how it relates to LI, LI looks to be just Imperium vs Traitors set in the 30k Horus Heresy period, at least in the foreseeable future, just like Adeptus Titanicus was, while old Epic eventually covered a wide amount of armies.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lumpy posted:

As an idiot, what's the difference between "Epic" and this new Legions Imperialis thing? Is it a re-brand? A new, but similar game - maybe in 30k instead of 40k?

"epic" is what people call GW's 5mm mixed-warfare games. GW always called those games "epic-scale" but it wasn't until later editions that they were just named "epic", and the actual names of those older editions are confusing or overlap too much with other things.

LI is a 5mm scale game set in 30K during the Horus Heresy. while some of the previous epic games were nominally set at that time, this is the first one based directly on the recent 30K 28mm game and the Horus Heresy novels, which completely rewrote and retconned what's going on in 30K, mainly to drastically reduce the emphasis on non-Imperial/traitor factions.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'll never play, but the idea of having a World Eaters force backed up with Legio Audax Warhounds is pretty :black101:

I want to have a big centerpiece Titan with a whole supporting combined-arms force of skitarii. And I want my friends to have armies so I can actually play the game :rolldice::respek::reject:

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

"epic" is what people call GW's 5mm mixed-warfare games. GW always called those games "epic-scale" but it wasn't until later editions that they were just named "epic", and the actual names of those older editions are confusing or overlap too much with other things.

LI is a 5mm scale game set in 30K during the Horus Heresy. while some of the previous epic games were nominally set at that time, this is the first one based directly on the recent 30K 28mm game and the Horus Heresy novels, which completely rewrote and retconned what's going on in 30K, mainly to drastically reduce the emphasis on non-Imperial/traitor factions.

Epic is 6mm and LI is 8mm

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Thirsty Dog posted:

Epic is 6mm and LI is 8mm

there isn't a difference between 5mm, 6mm, and 8mm scale. people mix and match 1:285 and 1:300 (ZZ) in every other context too

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Since what "6mm" meant in practise was so variable in the old ranges, if you want to take the scale as your main point of difference it's presumably actually that this time they're trying the same scale for all the units, instead of every type of model having a different convention of what it's scaled to.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
5mm Guard w 8mm Marines

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The new one is ostensibly in 1/4 40k scale, so a 32mm tall 40k guardsman will stand 8mm tall in LI.

Classic figures were in "looks good" scale, nominally 6mm but with a lot of wiggle room.

The 90s releases were larger, and approximately 1/5 40k scale. The infantry might actually be scaled to the new stuff!

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

there isn't a difference between 5mm, 6mm, and 8mm scale. people mix and match 1:285 and 1:300 (ZZ) in every other context too

Yeah, my entire collection of minis runs from Space Marine to Epic:Armageddon, plus tons of recent proxies, most of which are 8mm. The oldest GW stuff is small even at 6mm, especially vehicles, but still doesn't look out of place going up against vanguard's 8mm marines. I have some very old Eldar vehicles from the 90s, the first falcon sculpts, and they are truly tiny, but they still look fine alongside the eldar aeronautica stuff I have.

Anyone stressing the difference between 6mm and 8mm needs to remember that you'll usually be viewing them from afar. At a distance paint is about all you see, not scale. 10mm and less is all about masses of minis, not the individual minis themselves.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

All this talk about scale reminds me of the best use of epic scale models:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Ahh, perfection! Now that is peak modelling :D

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Getting into Mordheim with what looks like a fun local group. Can I post my warband list here?

Also, are there anything to know in Mordheim so I don't lose too badly off the cuff and can't recover?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

I mean, there IS a noticeable difference, which is why people talk about most epic players having already switched to 8mm prints, but my point is you are the first person I have ever seen refer to epic as 5mm. It seems like a really weird thing to do, especially when trying to explain the scales to someone who doesn't know!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I was looking for this picture and GIS was having none of it!

With the new JoyToy characters you could have them playing 40k with LI scale figures.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
this is the thread for mordheim too, yeah

main tips: armor is poo poo without house rules, ask yourself why you're buying that weapon when it could be a short bow or club or sling, quantity is a quality of its own, nonhuman gangs just Do That

Thirsty Dog posted:

I mean, there IS a noticeable difference, which is why people talk about most epic players having already switched to 8mm prints, but my point is you are the first person I have ever seen refer to epic as 5mm. It seems like a really weird thing to do, especially when trying to explain the scales to someone who doesn't know!

the difference is cosmetic. LI is played at the same scale as the old GW epic games, as well as battletech, ogre, etc. and remains a smaller scale than dropzone commander.

it's useful to know 5mm, 6mm, 1:285, 1:300, and ZZ scale are all the same thing in practice but it is not the main thing i would bring up talking to a new player because that is confusing. the reason i do not call it 6mm or 8mm is also because that is easily confused with the larger Z-scale (1:220, 6.5mm, dropzone commander) or N-scale (1:144-160, 10-12mm, warmaster).

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 17, 2023

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cease to Hope posted:

this is the thread for mordheim too, yeah

main tips: armor is poo poo without house rules, ask yourself why you're buying that weapon when it could be a short bow or club or sling, quantity is a quality of its own, nonhuman gangs just Do That

Averlænders can take three halfling scouts with shortbows and I am already all chuffed to sneak around and plink at fools

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I’ve recently been hyped about Mordheim too and will probably put together a warband. Saw some cool 28mm plastic samurai and ashigaru and I think I’ll do a Reiklander warband with them. Military discipline and marksmanship seem to fit the samurai concept pretty well. Will be quite limited in terms of weaponry (basically only swords, double-handed swords, spears and bows plus dualwielding!) unless I get like a sprue of medieval weaponry. Samurai with maces and clubs sounds weird but then again this is a weirdo warband in a weird fantasy setting so who’s gonna complain? Also I’ll be doing it for fun so optimizing weapons won’t be high on my list

Also I want to get a priest to be a warlock in my warband. It’s gonna be sweet

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Nov 17, 2023

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

a cyborg mug posted:

I’ve recently been hyped about Mordheim too and will probably put together a warband. Saw some cool 28mm plastic samurai and ashigaru and I think I’ll do a Reiklander warband with them. Military discipline and marksmanship seem to fit the samurai concept pretty well. Will be quite limited in terms of weaponry (basically only swords, double-handed swords, spears and bows plus dualwielding!) unless I get like a sprue of medieval weaponry. Samurai with maces and clubs sounds weird but then again this is a weirdo warband in a weird fantasy setting so who’s gonna complain? Also I’ll be doing it for fun so optimizing weapons won’t be high on my list

Also I want to get a priest to be a warlock in my warband. It’s gonna be sweet

Tetsubos, staves and kanobos are all well represented in Japanese history/mythology so clubs and maces are all good.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

HidaO-Win posted:

Tetsubos, staves and kanobos are all well represented in Japanese history/mythology so clubs and maces are all good.

drat that’s true, guess I’ll try to source that medieval weaponry pack then!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Cease to Hope posted:

the difference is cosmetic. LI is played at the same scale as the old GW epic games, as well as battletech, ogre, etc. and remains a smaller scale than dropzone commander.

The difference between any scales of models would be cosmetic. Obviously the stuff is not all exactly 6mm, but like the other poster I've never seen someone call epic 40k 5mm scale. Or any game 5mm scale.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

goodness posted:

Obviously the stuff is not all exactly 6mm, but like the other poster I've never seen someone call epic 40k 5mm scale. Or any game 5mm scale.

like the other poster, you both print miniatures and therefore care more about their exact height, rather than the height of a statistically average (human) man. when you are talking about "X millimeter scale," you seem to be referring to the height to which you're scaling the miniature STLs, rather than the name of the scale at which epic is played. when i say, "the difference is cosmetic," i mean that the scale of the game overall WRT distances, mundane objects in the game, and such haven't changed, you're just printing guys who are tall. if you compare your guys to more-realistically-proportioned humans at 1:220 or 1:200 i think you will see what i mean.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

I was looking for this picture and GIS was having none of it!

With the new JoyToy characters you could have them playing 40k with LI scale figures.

And if they're Iron Warriors then it'd be canon :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

HidaO-Win posted:

also playing the scruffy bandits that samurai kill by the dozen on the way to confronting the villain for a fated duel is very much in keeping with the mordheim aesthetic