Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
congratulations senpai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i hit five last month. feels nice to settle into the swing of things. not like poppers swinging though

RHase
Sep 4, 2016

Ohtori Akio posted:

congratulations senpai

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

I loving Love having sex with married women lol. Happy trannyversary Lain :cheers:

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

12 Years a human being :staredog:

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

So is there a book club or not?

:colbert:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
yes, read all of my posts since 2010 and respond in the thread

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Um I dunno. Go read Stone Butch Blues I guess.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
reading books are we

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I don't like to read

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
that's what I like to hear. A man's man. Barrel chested, brutish, smelly.....

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

After House of Leaves I err on the side of not reading just to be safe

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

rodbeard posted:

After House of Leaves I err on the side of not reading just to be safe

i read that book

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

I picked it up. And then I put it down.

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

Stone Butch Blues is a historical fiction novel written by Leslie Feinberg about life as a butch lesbian in 1970s America. While fictional, the work also takes inspiration from Feinberg's own life, and she described it as her "call to action."[1] It is frequently discussed as a difficult yet essential work for LGBT communities, as it "never shies away from portraying the anti-Semitism, classism, homophobia, anti-butch animus, and trans-phobia that protagonist Jess Goldberg faced on a daily basis—but it also shows the healing power of love and political activism."[2]

Chapter 1, review and discussion.

Overall I was kind of taken aback by how grim and brutal even the first chapter is, but I guess it established a pretty clear tone and character's voice. The pining for a seemingly lost love, Theresa, was very effective and relatable, and definitely had me feeling a little sad before things even really got bad. I didn't anticipate such a strong focus on romance, maybe that's not the entire focus of the book, but in any event it makes this book another in the list of way too many romance and relationship-focused bits of content I've been consuming this week, for better or worse. god I'm lonely Talking about co-ops and rent control in a coffeeshop is a situation I hope I never find myself in, and since I won't be moving to New York I might be okay on that front. The first part of the chapter made me want to experience gay bars but I don't think my dislike of bars would overpower the potentially liberating and solidarity-stoking benefits. Also the second half made me change my mind quickly anyways.

In conclusion this is definitely a biting, edgy but emotional and forthright look at a butch NY gay in the 70s, and I'm curious to read more. Hopefully it becomes a bit less grim, although I won't be betting on it.

I imagine the rest of you all are writing pretty in-depth and well footnoted reviews and thinkpieces on the first chapter, and that's probably why you haven't posted about it yet. But I look forward to hearing more opinions on it :O

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
I just started over the weekend and almost had to stop with the psychiatric abuse and the charm school thing. I'm only in the middle of ch5.

Some disorganized thoughts looking back at ch1: I like the use of 'he-shes' in a non-pejorative collective way, possibly because I don't like 'queer'. The way Jess studies people is intense and humane. I stopped reading to look at pictures of Feinberg. You can see it in Leslie's eyes in many photos. In others there's the eyes that can look on nearly anything, and just look

nice obelisk idiot has issued a correction as of 02:15 on Dec 9, 2023

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
I read close to the knives instead and now I am ten feet tall and all I CAN FEEL IS THE PRESSURE THE PRESSURE THE PRESSURE OF BEING A GAY MAN IN AMERICA.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
great news for the movie club...

https://apnews.com/article/japan-takeshi-kitano-kubi-entertainment-scandal-film-488563fed22c9c8e87b238e9815fc932

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

looking forward to the western version

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Al! posted:

retard

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Al! posted:

it's spelled Whedon

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
rip Wale Wheaton, Dalé! 🌾

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
ODA NOBUNAGA TO HIS UNCLOTHED TWINK AS HE IS NOTIFIED OF THE ATTACK ON HONNO-JI: well, that happened!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the gay samurai

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
16 bit watch gohatto

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

teh

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

From the Yukio Mishima wikipedia article.

some human being on wikipedia posted:

Mishima was fond of manga and gekiga, especially the drawing style of Hiroshi Hirata (平田弘史), a mangaka best known for his samurai gekiga; the slapstick, absurdist comedy in Fujio Akatsuka's Mōretsu Atarō (もーれつア太郎), and the imaginativeness of Shigeru Mizuki's GeGeGe no Kitarō (ゲゲゲの鬼太郎).[135][136] Mishima especially loved reading the boxing manga Ashita no Joe (あしたのジョー, "Tomorrow's Joe") in Weekly Shōnen Magazine every week.[137][i] Ultraman and Godzilla were his favorite kaiju fantasies, and he once compared himself to "Godzilla's egg" in 1955.[138][139] On the other hand, he disliked story manga with humanist or cosmopolitan themes, such as Osamu Tezuka's Phoenix (火の鳥, Hi no tori).[135][136]

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

I heard michfest is coming back so that's going to be fun.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
more like stupid bitch fest

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Ohtori Akio posted:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
F

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Ohtori Akio posted:

woke operator
Nov 17, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i love stupid bitch fest, i go every year. catch me at the piercing tent getting my septum done

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
bump

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
:smith:

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
its time for a human being renaissance

RHase
Sep 4, 2016