Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Hadlock posted:

Amtrak has always run at a loss except for the NE corridor. The justification has always been "it's not a viable business so we must run it as a government owned company, because if we don't the infrastructure around will crumble and it'll never return"

Pretty sure people who left for the new world did so because all the viable land had been spoken for by the same ten or so families for the last two thousand years and wanted a go at generating that kind of wealth for themselves. First generation immigrants are consistently some of the most successful people

The remaining families still sitting on their Spanish land grants in Texas and California today are doing pretty decently for themselves

Some of the first English settlers were aristocrats who famously refused to even try to farm(Jamestown I'm looking at you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

looks like it's a little of both

wikipedia posted:

Founded in 1971 as a quasi-public corporation to operate many U.S. passenger rail routes, Amtrak receives a combination of state and federal subsidies but is managed as a for-profit organization.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Well isnt that unusual.

https://twitter.com/KTLA/status/1722150601759576438

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

drat that's crazy.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
What LA Times expose is about to drop?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Scott Forstall posted:

with all we already know about the LA sheriff's department i figured there was a decent chance someone staged some suicides to ensure people who could don't talk to the LA Times

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Scott Forstall posted:

it's hard to imagine what more could be exposed about LASD. they're like the major leagues of dirty cops

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Cactus Ghost posted:

it's hard to imagine what more could be exposed about LASD. they're like the major leagues of dirty cops

Fair, but with the LASD, there’s always more and it’s always worse than what we’ve previously heard.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Tayter Swift posted:

Thinking it through I don't think a strike could happen until 2025. There's a bill in the legislature (AB 1677) requiring a study into what the gently caress is going on with stat scientists' salary over the years. It's gone through the Assembly, but I don't know if Newsom intends to sign it.

Authorizing a strike without getting everyone fired requires the Public Employee Relations Board to declare an impasse. I doubt they would do so before that report comes out, by which time next year's negotiations with the state will be in session. Assuming the state tells CAPS to gfy again CAPS would ask for an impasse, which I'm sure would take a while, during which the Leg (who would approve any tentative agreement) would be done with their 2024 session and nothing would happen anyway.

It's hosed.

Welp. CAPS is doing a rolling 3-day strike next week.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
first strike by civil servants in state history. apparently the dills act makes the process to legally strike so lengthy almost no one actually does

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My dills act is so lengthy nobody strikes it either

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
Labor is more into dill girth.

111223_3
Nov 12, 2023
so Sacramento is basically a slot in a strip mall now?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

What?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Don't mind that guy, he's some permabanned guy spending $10 per post

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
It's strike day.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Tayter Swift posted:

It's strike day.

For better hours, wages and conditions?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Wages and like pay for like work, primarily.

Scientist wages are 25-40% lower than equivalent roles in the engineering classes with identical duty statements and tenure (we're talking folks in my unit which I've personally trained among others), thanks to a massive pay bump engineers got in the mid-aughts. There's a pay equity element to this, as 50% of CAPS are women but 75% of engineers are men.

Our last contract ran from 2018-2020. We've been out of contract since then.

The last tentative agreement (late 2022) included a wage increase of 6.5% spread over 19 months (with some upward exceptions). It was rejected soundly. CAPS and the State went back to the table this year and CalHR stonewalled us on salary for months before coming back with some convoluted plan which would have worked out to about 15% spread for folks topped out on salary. CAPS didn't bring this to members for a vote. They pushed for an impasse, which the Public Employee Relations Board granted. There was a meeting with a mediator early this month and I guess it didn't go over well as CAPS called for the strike shortly after. The next mediator meeting is on the 28th.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i am pro strike as long as the strikers aren't cops. so im pro this strike

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I saw the picket line when I was driving by Sacramento City hall yesterday. Brought a tear to this state worker's eye.

The state generally needs its arm twisted to negotiate in good faith. We were in a similar situation to the scientists. It took my union taking steps to get a judge to break our public safety no strike clause to get them to budge and give us our first targeted raises in over a decade.

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 17, 2023

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the state's first move when we announced the strike was to move to have it declared illegal, and still continuing to take that line with threats to the status of those in permanent-intermittent positions if they are out of the office for more than 3 days

not exactly feeling the love for labor from the newsom administration

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah that guy's a piece of poo poo

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

SlimGoodbody posted:

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

SlimGoodbody posted:

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

My US Rep, Anna Eshoo, just announced she's retiring. She's not particularly remarkable, but the runner-up in 2022, a guy named Rishi Kumar, is a stealth libertarian. No idea if he'll run again but he would be worse in every conceivable way.

vvv Kumar also runs as a D

Family Values fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 22, 2023

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Family Values posted:

My US Rep, Anna Eshoo, just announced she's retiring. She's not particularly remarkable, but the runner-up in 2022, a guy named Rishi Kumar, is a stealth libertarian. No idea if he'll run again but he would be worse in every conceivable way.

The runner up isn't going to win next time, he's going to be the runner up again to whomever the Democratic Party nominates.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

Muir posted:

The runner up isn't going to win next time, he's going to be the runner up again to whomever the Democratic Party nominates.

Rishi Kumar is a Democrat, and supported Medicare for all, Green New deal, etc and was ostensibly a Bernie supporter, but governed on the Saratoga city council as a NIMBY, supports cops, and hosted a "Friends of the BJP" event. So he kinda painted himself into a corner there. He's not gonna get a party endorsement and the left knows he's a poser.

That said, the other names floated all also loving suck:

Liccardo: Former San Jose Mayor, failed to change the rules to extend his term, has been raising money and making connections to deep pockets (all he really did as mayor too). Kinda assumed Lofgren's ancient rear end was gonna retire first and he'd go for that spot. Bloomberg campaign state chair.

Low: Rich parents got him the seat, doesn't rock the boat, was Andrew Yang's state chair, has Andrew Yang type politics.

Simitian: Been around for decades so prob lots of connections, don't know much about him except he opposed high speed rail and works to suppress the left in the local party, so I hear.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Back right after J6 I sent Eshoo a message, encouraging her to support investigations against the Congresspeople who aided and abetted the insurrection.

She wrote me back saying, essentially, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

So I'm glad she's out.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

First of May posted:

Back right after J6 I sent Eshoo a message, encouraging her to support investigations against the Congresspeople who aided and abetted the insurrection.

She wrote me back saying, essentially, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

So I'm glad she's out.

I emailed her about PAYGO in 2019 and the reply I got was about fiscal responsibility and the national debt lol

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
For some reason Desantis and Newsom are debating and all the videos i've seen make Ron look like an idiot.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1730416638812471647

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
couldn’t pay me to click that

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Trump looked like a moron too but he became president. Newsom is absolutely loving stupid to do this poo poo

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Ron DeSantis isn't becoming president.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Ron DeSantis is an annoying little twerp with no juice. Trump, for all his innumerable faults, is entertaining, and that's what people voted for.

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

Centrist Committee posted:

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Centrist Committee posted:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

OgNar posted:

For some reason Desantis and Newsom are debating and all the videos i've seen make Ron look like an idiot.

The reason is, Ron is an idiot.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

big black turnout posted:

Trump looked like a moron too but he became president. Newsom is absolutely loving stupid to do this poo poo

He's setting up a run for 2028.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

First of May posted:

He's setting up a run for 2028.
Yep. This is an effort to stand out from the pack and raise his profile for the 2028 race.

Given how much the national media ignores things and people outside of the Acela corridor, it's probably a smart move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

SlimGoodbody posted:

Ron DeSantis is an annoying little twerp with no juice. Trump, for all his innumerable faults, is entertaining, and that's what people voted for.

i mean, desantis may not be a meme machine but he's also giving the fash what they want, which is the other thing that got trump votes